Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭swoofer

@cabaal, many thanks for your reply and apologies for lack of cop on, i thought eircom sucks was another way of referring to the eirocm site!! be gentle with me, I am having a bad day, brain gone away, I saw a bit on silicon republic as well. All is now clear. I will hibernate back to my 3mbs and no doubt one day+ it will be a little bit quicker and then I will have the upgrade. When that day comes, well no one knows. I have emailed the press office as well.

Many thanks for putting me straight.

gb--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

Very stupid considering I'm on the inside and you're left out in the cold!!

incase u havent noticed its summer time ;)

please save the bull**** for gullable people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Oh please, let's not kid ourselves. Some summer!

Maybe he is lying, maybe he's not, but I think it's up to each of us to make up our own minds on that, until it's proven for certain either way.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Oh please, let's not kid ourselves. Some summer!

Maybe he is lying, maybe he's not, but I think it's up to each of us to make up our own minds on that, until it's proven for certain either way.

i know man its crappy weather isnt it, look i dont think an eircom employee would actually come on a forum and give away classified information like that, if he got caught doing that he would be going down to collect his dole on monday morning, would you risk it? i know i certainly wouldnt

i know man its crappy weather isnt it, look i dont think an eircom employee would actually come on a forum and give away classified information like that, if he got caught doing that he would be going down to collect his dole on monday morning, would you risk it? i know i certainly wouldnt
    I didn't say I believed him either. :)

The only information I will take serious note of is that from their own Press Office. Whether that information is later proven to be either a lie or just inaccurate, it's the best we have to go on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I don't think thats a good enough argument against him being an Eircom employee, there has been plenty of cases of Eircom employees and other companies for that matter giving insider information on this forum. Though how useful his information is remains to be seen even if he is an employee as information on something like this is usually poor quality.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I don't think thats a good enough argument against him being an Eircom employee, there has been plenty of cases of Eircom employees and other companies for that matter giving insider information on this forum. Though how useful his information is remains to be seen even if he is an employee as information on something like this is usually poor quality.

Indeed their have and if they then ask for them to be removed they will be perma-banned from this forum, however saying the user is a eircom employee is speculation

I've found on this forum that people often appear to jump to conclusions and often start accusing people of being employees for company X or Y, hell when I tried to help out with all the Three problems along with one of the admins I was accused of working for or with Three when in reality the last contact I had with Three was when I used to have my 3pay phone with them.

People sadly tend to get paranoid sometimes when they have issues with a certain company.

Cabaal wrote: »
    however saying the user is a eircom employee is speculation

People sadly tend to get paranoid sometimes when they have issues with a certain company.

he said hes on the bleedin inside, there is no speculation or paranoia involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

he said hes on the bleedin inside, there is no speculation or paranoia involved.

That could mean he's in prison.:eek:

haha maybe youre right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

My reply from Eircom for anyone in Limerick on the Roches Street exchange .
    Hi John

I can confirm that your telephone is connected to the Limerick exchange. Speed increases on the eircom 2Mb broadband product and the eircom 3Mb broadband product will come into effect in this exchange in early September. The 2Mb product will be upgraded to 3Mb and the 3Mb product will be upgraded to 7.6Mb.

The Limerick exchange was ADSL2+ enabled earlier this year. Customers served on this exchange who wish to avail of our 10Mb or 12Mb product, and whose telephone line qualifies, can contact our broadband customer service team on 1800 242 558 to place an order.

Best Regards

So , early September for us .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

jonski wrote: »
    My reply from Eircom for anyone in Limerick on the Roches Street exchange .

So , early September for us .
    Thats more than the supposive 6 - 8 weeks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭3 Dollar Bill

Summer is a season my friend, doesn't dictate whether it is cold/hot.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Thats more than the supposive 6 - 8 weeks :rolleyes:
    That 6-8 week time frame was given to people, by their Press Office, specific to the exchange that was inquired about. There was always suspicion that some exchanges would be held in a larger time frame bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

That 6-8 week time frame was given to people, by their Press Office, specific to the exchange that was inquired about. There was always suspicion that some exchanges would be held in a larger time frame bracket.
    6 - 8 weeks was to be the all exchanges according to the second Press Office email I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

kaizersoze wrote: »
    It's the attenuation is letting you down but there's something odd about your stats. With a high enough noise margin like yours it would indicate a reasonably health and short line but your attenuation says different.

It looks like you may have something locally (in your house probably) thats causing but it may be just the way your line is. Follow the troubleshooting steps from the FAQ and see if you can track down the problem.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54381143&postcount=6

EDIT: I also have a feeling that for many the 7.6 upgrade will fall on it's arse without 2+.
    BT got back to me and bluntly put it that they can only offer me 1mb even though I'm on 2mb right now :-(

I really don't understand it because when i put my line stats into this it says my line is capable of at least over 7mb with standard adsl?? When I put my neighbours phone number into irish bb's website it offers them 3mb even though they are 2miles even further away from the exchange than me.

When they do their line 'test' are they even checking my line or are they just using some outdated eircom database because even though I have eircom bb their website says I 'might' be able to get bb and the official gov website says I cant get it either! What is going on? It is certainly not my internal wiring as loads of it was replaced 2 years ago when lightning hit nearby and even then my attenuation was 46 but it has somehow risen to 51 this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

rc28 wrote: »
    What is going on? It is certainly not my internal wiring as loads of it was replaced 2 years ago when lightning hit nearby and even then my attenuation was 46 but it has somehow risen to 51 this year.

has that been the same all year? theres loads of things that can affect attenuation, even the weather!

only thing you can do is ask BT to stick you on whatever package you think you can get and hope that it synchs at that speed. you can always bump the package down if it doesnt work

BT got back to me and bluntly put it that they can only offer me 1mb even though I'm on 2mb right now :-(

I really don't understand it because when i put my line stats into this it says my line is capable of at least over 7mb with standard adsl?? When I put my neighbours phone number into irish bb's website it offers them 3mb even though they are 2miles even further away from the exchange than me.

When they do their line 'test' are they even checking my line or are they just using some outdated eircom database because even though I have eircom bb their website says I 'might' be able to get bb and the official gov website says I cant get it either! What is going on? It is certainly not my internal wiring as loads of it was replaced 2 years ago when lightning hit nearby and even then my attenuation was 46 but it has somehow risen to 51 this year.
    Where have I seen this post before? ;)

Anyhow, your line noise is pretty bad. I'd call whoever you pay your line rental to, and tell them you hear a lot of noise on the phone (make no mention of broadband - as they will blame your equipment - make sure you keep it to a PSTN issue). In other words, report a fault, saying you hear a buzzing sound along with the dial tone when you use your home phones (be sure to say you hear it on more than one phone in your house - so they don't blame it on the phone itself). Hopefully then an engineer will check your line at the exchange and see there's something wrong. The only danger here is that an engineer may have to be called to your home. If the problem is seen as being in your home and not on their end, that means you'll have to pay a bucketload of money for the call-out. So, don't let them send anyone to your house.

has that been the same all year? theres loads of things that can affect attenuation, even the weather!

only thing you can do is ask BT to stick you on whatever package you think you can get and hope that it synchs at that speed. you can always bump the package down if it doesnt work
    It's just this year that it slowly rose to 50 and now 51. Would BT let me do that- just pick a package even though their computer says no?

It's just this year that it slowly rose to 50 and now 51. Would BT let me do that- just pick a package even though their computer says no?
    That I'm not sure of. If Eircom's computer gives a better result, then tell BT to communicate with Eircom on your behalf, maybe then they will sell you what your line is really capable of. It's worth a shot.

• Advertisement

That I'm not sure of. If Eircom's computer gives a better result, then tell BT to communicate with Eircom on your behalf, maybe then they will sell you what your line is really capable of. It's worth a shot.

yea that sound like a good way of going about it. if your not with BT that long, tell them you had 2 or 3 meg ith eircom before.

If they do approve and give you the package though, you might be locked into a contract, so make sure you ask the sales rep/read the contract to see if you can get out of it if it doesnt synch at these higher speeds.

afaik, 45 to about 60 mean they'll cap you at 1meg.

have you tried replacing your filters etc to improve the attenuation? are you 100% sure its not your house wiring? what exchange are you on? how far are you from the exchange?

yea that sound like a good way of going about it. if your not with BT that long, tell them you had 2 or 3 meg ith eircom before.

If they do approve and give you the package though, you might be locked into a contract, so make sure you ask the sales rep/read the contract to see if you can get out of it if it doesnt synch at these higher speeds.

afaik, 45 to about 60 mean they'll cap you at 1meg.

have you tried replacing your filters etc to improve the attenuation? are you 100% sure its not your house wiring? what exchange are you on? how far are you from the exchange?
    If that is so then how did eircom give me 2mb when my line was 47 and, also at the time, Irish Broadband offered me 3mb but now only allow 2mb when I check my number through their website?
    By road we are about 3km from the exchange iirc. I have come across other threads on the internet with people that hae attenuation figure a lot worse than me and yet they are syncing at higher speeds.

If that is so then how did eircom give me 2mb when my line was 47 and, also at the time, Irish Broadband offered me 3mb but now only allow 2mb when I check my number through their website?
    By road we are about 3km from the exchange iirc. I have come across other threads on the internet with people that hae attenuation figure a lot worse than me and yet they are syncing at higher speeds.

ah yea i'd well believe it, ISP's are generally wayyy too conservative about what synch speed a line is capable of. the attenuation figure i mentioned earlier was mentioned to me about 3 years ago when i had DSL installed, i'm sure this figure has changed and the speed you can get also heavily depends on the lines SNR aswell

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have a read of this (just in case you havent seen it already):

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

ah yea i'd well believe it, ISP's are generally wayyy too conservative about what synch speed a line is capable of. the attenuation figure i mentioned earlier was mentioned to me about 3 years ago when i had DSL installed, i'm sure this figure has changed and the speed you can get also heavily depends on the lines SNR aswell
    In short (since I don't know the technical ins and outs :)):

SNR Margin = Useful Signal
    Line Attenuation = Line Noise (not so useful)

A good balance of both is good, but it's usually the latter that a lot of lines have in abundance. Some, like myself, are lucky to have 2-3 dB in Line Attenuation and 20-30 dB in SNR. I live right by the exchange, so that's how it's possible.

Yeah, eircom told my friend he could get DSL after they relaxed the rules last time. I can't rememeber his line stats but the modem was only synching at something like 496/192 when he paid for 2 meg. He told them where to go fairly quickly.

My brother on the other hand has a line attenuation of 6/3. That's what living beside the exchange does for ya!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Karsini wrote: »
    Yeah, eircom told my friend he could get DSL after they relaxed the rules last time. I can't rememeber his line stats but the modem was only synching at something like 496/192 when he paid for 2 meg. He told them where to go fairly quickly.

My brother on the other hand has a line attenuation of 6/3. That's what living beside the exchange does for ya!

Don't forget that its not always the external line thats exclusively to blame. There are plenty of posts on here of people improving their signal quality through attention to 'indoor's stuff such as filters on everything or even the quality of the filters themselves, bad internal wiring, sky boxes etc.

dub45 wrote: »
    Don't forget that its not always the external line thats exclusively to blame. There are plenty of posts on here of people improving their signal quality through attention to 'indoor's stuff such as filters on everything or even the quality of the filters themselves, bad internal wiring, sky boxes etc.
    Not to mention interference from cordless phones set to a certain frequency.

dub45 wrote: »

I was surprised they said his line passed because he lives a good bit out of the town, I'd say easily 8km or so.

But since you said it another friend of mine lived only about 3km from the exchange and his line kept failing the test. I suggested he unplug everything from the line except the phone itself. He did and a few weeks later the line passed. Turned out it was the Sky box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

So i'm getting ADSL2+ at my exchange(confirmed by eircom) But not until early September! But that date wasn't even for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement