Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Calebmcd wrote: »
    So i'm getting ADSL2+ at my exchange(confirmed by eircom) But not until early September! But that date wasn't even for sure.
    Are you a business customer? What package are you (or going to be) on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

10mb unless the 7.6mb is ok.

Calebmcd wrote: »
    10mb unless the 7.6mb is ok.
    The 7.6Mb won't be using ADSL2+ (confirmed by Eircom themselves).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

I don't get why eircom aren't upgrading 3mb customers to ADSL2+. Most people on 3mb won't support much more on ADSL1 and will downgrade to the then 3mb package at a difference of nearly €30 per month. This will cost eircom a lot of money in the long run.

Surely the ADSL2+ kit wouldn't be worth the loss €360 a year per customer not to mention the customers who go elsewhere for faster speeds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 eircomsucks

ah bad news is good news for eircom as far as I'm concerned,

Eircom won't upgrade people to 3MB because they know people using their basic broadband and who can't get LLU or Cable have no other option other then Eircom, BT etc who all basically use Eircom.

The bottom line is it doesn't suit eircom to upgrade people at this time and that for the vast majority of people there just isn't any other choice when it comes to ADSL.

Mr ES
    http://www.eircomsucks.com

• Advertisement

ah bad news is good news for eircom as far as I'm concerned,

Eircom won't upgrade people to 3MB because they know people using their basic broadband and who can't get LLU or Cable have no other option other then Eircom, BT etc who all basically use Eircom.

The bottom line is it doesn't suit eircom to upgrade people at this time and that for the vast majority of people there just isn't any other choice when it comes to ADSL.

Mr ES
    http://www.eircomsucks.com
    But the point being made was that it seems a lot of people's lines won't be able to handle 7.6Mb. Therefore, their only option is to downgrade to a lower end package, paying less of a premium per month. It's no good for Eircom in the long run.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

DECEiFER wrote: »
    But the point being made was that it seems a lot of people's lines won't be able to handle 7.6Mb. Therefore, their only option is to downgrade to a lower end package, paying less of a premium per month. It's no good for Eircom in the long run.

If we can leave aside prejudices for the moment - Eircom are in a difficult position. They by and large have a pretty old network which would require huge investment to really invigorate. Bear in mind too that we have had several owners of Eircom who along the way have burdened it with a great deal of debt which is inhibiting the possiblities for the present owners ( the reasons are largelly irrelvant for speed discussions). Now the pressure is on Eircom to increase speeds both competitively and politically. But for many people increasing speeds will actually worsen their position - not just because of line quality but also the limitations of dsl. If you visist the Smart support forums you will see that adsl2 gives plenty of problems too. Then you have to ask yourself what is the real demand for higher speeds in terms of people prepared to pay for it. Ok everyone who freguents boards wants the highest speeds possible but how many people just want a reliable service to surf book flights check bank accounts etc?

dub45 wrote: »
    If we can leave aside prejudices for the moment - Eircom are in a difficult position. They by and large have a pretty old network which would require huge investment to really invigorate. Bear in mind too that we have had several owners of Eircom who along the way have burdened it with a great deal of debt which is inhibiting the possiblities for the present owners ( the reasons are largelly irrelvant for speed discussions). Now the pressure is on Eircom to increase speeds both competitively and politically. But for many people increasing speeds will actually worsen their position - not just because of line quality but also the limitations of dsl. If you visist the Smart support forums you will see that adsl2 gives plenty of problems too. Then you have to ask yourself what is the real demand for higher speeds in terms of people prepared to pay for it. Ok everyone who freguents boards wants the highest speeds possible but how many people just want a reliable service to surf book flights check bank accounts etc?
    Those said people would be happy with the 1Mb package. That's all they'd need, if it's only basic use they're after. I just don't see how the rest of the western world can facilitate their networks better than we can. It's not 1949 anymore, folks. We're a rich country now. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Those said people would be happy with the 1Mb package. That's all they'd need, if it's only basic use they're after. I just don't see how the rest of the western world can facilitate their networks better than we can. It's not 1949 anymore, folks. We're a rich country now. :)

How exactly does stating that we are a rich country add to the debate? And there are loads of people happy with 1Mb - it doesnt mean they always will be of course but they are!

How exactly does stating that we are a rich country add to the debate? And there are loads of people happy with 1Mb - it doesnt mean they always will be of course but they are!
    Because if the rest of the western world can do it, why can't we? I'm sorry, but I like progress, I'm through with the dark ages of broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Because if the rest of the western world can do it, why can't we? I'm sorry, but I like progress, I'm through with the dark ages of broadband.
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Now the pressure is on Eircom to increase speeds both competitively and politically. But for many people increasing speeds will actually worsen their position - not just because of line quality but also the limitations of dsl.
    God love them :rolleyes:.

Look, the point is they made a promise back in January to have the upgrades all done by June, they haven't delivered. Now if they are going to worsen speeds for a lot of people because of the quality of some lines then surely they knew this before such an announcement and why bother making the promise in the first place.
    Who do Eircom have working for them to make such stupid ill-educated decisions, a two year old with a screwdriver and some duct tape !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Reply from Press Office

Hi Vic,

Thank you for your email.
    The speed upgrades have been taking place on a phased basis over the last number of months and will continue throughout the next few months. We have extended the list of exchanges that will be upgraded which has naturally had an impact on our date for completion of all upgrades.
    The Balbriggan exchange was ADSL2+ upgraded earlier this week.
    Customers served on this exchange who wish to avail of our 10Mb or 12Mb product, and whose telephone line qualifies, can contact our broadband customer service team on 1800 242 558 to place an order.

Speed increases on the eircom 2Mb broadband product and the eircom 3Mb broadband product will come into effect in this exchange over the second weekend in August. The 2Mb product will be upgraded to 3Mb and the 3Mb product will be upgraded to 7.6Mb.

Best Regards
    xxx
    Press Officer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Reply from Press Office

Hi Vic,

The speed upgrades have been taking place on a phased basis over the last number of months and will continue throughout the next few months. We have extended the list of exchanges that will be upgraded which has naturally had an impact on our date for completion of all upgrades.
    The Balbriggan exchange was ADSL2+ upgraded earlier this week.
    Customers served on this exchange who wish to avail of our 10Mb or 12Mb product, and whose telephone line qualifies, can contact our broadband customer service team on 1800 242 558 to place an order.

Speed increases on the eircom 2Mb broadband product and the eircom 3Mb broadband product will come into effect in this exchange over the second weekend in August. The 2Mb product will be upgraded to 3Mb and the 3Mb product will be upgraded to 7.6Mb.

Best Regards
    xxx
    Press Officer

so does that mean if i rang eircom up right now i could get the 10mb service?

EDIT:

wow now hold on there a second, it would cost me an extra 49 euros a month to upgrade from 3mb to 4mb, ABSOLUTE ROBBERY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

This is what I got.
    The Roslevin and Aughrim exchanges were ADSL2+ upgraded in recent months. Customers served on this exchange who wish to avail of our 10Mb or 12Mb product, and whose telephone line qualifies, can contact our broadband customer service team on 1800 242 558 to place an order.
    Speed increases on the eircom 2Mb broadband product and the eircom 3Mb broadband product will come into effect in the Ballinasloe, Bliary, Loughrea, Banagher and Aughrim exchanges over the second weekend in August. Speed increases in the same products will come into effect in the Roslevin exchange in early September. The 2Mb product will be upgraded to 3Mb and the 3Mb product will be upgraded to 7.6Mb. The 3Mb broadband product upgrade to 7.6Mb will not utilise ADSL2+ technology.

eircom is ADSL2+ enabling 117 exchanges nationwide and Ballinasloe, Bliary, Loughrea and Banagher are not one of those. However once the speed upgrades are completed, customers connected to these exchanges availing of the 3Mb broadband product, and whose telephone line qualifies, will receive broadband speeds of up to 7.6Mb.

It's starting to make less and less sense.:(
    Roslevin in Athlone is a big exchange so no surprise there.
    Aughrim in Galway is possibly one of the smallest exchanges in the county has 2+ already because it only recently went live.

Ballinasloe, Loughrea And Banagher (Offaly) are big urban exchanges and they're not getting 2+.
    Bliary, also in Athlone, sits in the middle of a big industrial estate with loads of factories and businesses aswell as serving nearly half the population of the town. It's not getting 2+ either.:confused::confused::confused:

It looks like there's no method or plan to this upgrade program at all.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I would think that they are just throwing it into exchanges as quick as they can, no order or anything with the intention of getting the whole country done in the near future. The smaller exchanges you mentioned might just be handier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I emailed Eircom press office on Weds and have not had a reply yet. Has anyone had a date for Ashbourne or does anyone know how long a reply usually takes?...... 6 to 8 weeks???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

Well it looks like the end of september for everybody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

jarvis wrote: »
    I emailed Eircom press office on Weds and have not had a reply yet. Has anyone had a date for Ashbourne or does anyone know how long a reply usually takes?...... 6 to 8 weeks???????

Posted before I checked my mail!!!!!!
    Had this reply....

Dear xxx

The Ashbourne exchange was ADSL2+ upgraded earlier this week. Customers served on this exchange who wish to avail of our 10Mb or 12Mb product, and whose telephone line qualifies, can contact our broadband customer service team on 1800 242 558 to place an order.

Speed increases on the eircom 2Mb broadband product and the eircom 3Mb broadband product will come into effect in this exchange over the second weekend in August. The 2Mb product will be upgraded to 3Mb and the 3Mb product will be upgraded to 7.6Mb. The 3Mb broadband product upgrade to 7.6Mb will not utilise ADSL2+ technology.

Best Regards

XXXX
    Press Officer

"3Mb upgrade to 7.6Mb will not utilise ADSL2+ technolog"
    What does that mean for me?
    The line test linked earlier in the thread said my line is capable of 8Mb on ADSL so does that mean I'm ok to use 7.6??

Jarvis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

kaizersoze wrote: »
    It looks like there's no method or plan to this upgrade program at all.:(

There is you know, the newer gear in the (generally) smaller exchanges is upgradeable and the older gear in the towns over 1500 persons is not :cool:

• Advertisement

I got a reply from the press officer and was told that my exchange was already ADSL2+ enabled and the 2Mb to 3Mb and 3Mb to 7.6Mb upgrades will come into effect in the end of July. 2 weeks for me so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

admol wrote: »
    I got a reply from the press officer and was told that my exchange was already ADSL2+ enabled and the 2Mb to 3Mb and 3Mb to 7.6Mb upgrades will come into effect in the end of July. 2 weeks for me so :)

Was that Eircons Press officer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bbanswers

Trial upgrade beginning july 17th for residential customers.
    BALLYJAMESDUFF
    COOLOCK
    MALAHIDE
    NEWMARKET-ON-FERGUS
    THOMASTOWN
    WALKINSTOWN
    WICKLOW If that goes well............

kleefarr wrote: »
    Was that Eircons Press officer?

Yup Eircom press officer. The end of July is a little vague but i suppose they don't know themselves :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

bbanswers wrote: »
    Trial upgrade beginning july 17th for residential customers.
    BALLYJAMESDUFF
    COOLOCK
    MALAHIDE
    NEWMARKET-ON-FERGUS
    THOMASTOWN
    WALKINSTOWN
    WICKLOW If that goes well............

I'm connected to the coolock exchange as far as i know and I have only just gotten the phone line connected with Eircom...If I sign up to the 3mb package does that mean I will get 7.6mb?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

AnyBody Know when Monkstown will be getting up graded?

ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Coolermaster

Just got this from the press office

"Speed increases on the eircom 2Mb broadband product and the eircom 3Mb broadband product will come into effect in the Clonakilty exchange at the end of July. The 2Mb product will be upgraded to 3Mb and the 3Mb product will be upgraded to 7.6Mb. The 3Mb broadband product upgrade to 7.6Mb will not utilise ADSL2+ technology.

eircom is ADSL2+ enabling 117 exchanges nationwide of which Clonakilty is not one. However once the speed upgrades are completed, customers connected to these exchanges availing of the 3Mb broadband product, and whose telephone line qualifies, will receive broadband speeds of up to 7.6Mb."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

AnyBody Know when Monkstown will be getting up graded?

ta

according to eirCon it will be around 2009-2019 for the monkstown area :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

according to eirCon it will be around 2009-2019 for the monkstown area :D

The helmet sniffers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

prob be early 2009 for the majority they aint even finished the business ones yet lol

bunch of chancers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement