Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

bbanswers wrote: »
    Trial upgrade beginning july 17th for residential customers.
    BALLYJAMESDUFF
    COOLOCK
    MALAHIDE
    NEWMARKET-ON-FERGUS
    THOMASTOWN
    WALKINSTOWN
    WICKLOW If that goes well............

I guess that's Thomastown Kilkenny?

So they get done before Kilkenny City. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

kleefarr wrote: »
    I guess that's Thomastown Kilkenny?

So they get done before Kilkenny City. :confused:

its a trial, so eircom are prob testing different exchanges of different capacities to see how well the upgrade works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Got another email from the PO this morning with a bit more info regarding the Dundalk exchange:
    The speed upgrades have been taking place on a phased basis over the last number of months and will continue throughout the next few months. We have extended the list of exchanges that will be upgraded which has naturally had an impact on our date for completion of all upgrades.

Speed increases on the eircom 2Mb broadband product and the eircom 3Mb broadband product will come into effect in the Dundalk exchange in early September. The 2Mb product will be upgraded to 3Mb and the 3Mb product will be upgraded to 7.6Mb. The 3Mb broadband product upgrade to 7.6Mb will not utilise ADSL2+ technology.

The Dundalk exchange will be ADSL2+ upgraded in three to four weeks time. Once this upgrade is completed, customers served on this exchange who wish to avail of our 10Mb or 12Mb product, and whose telephone line qualifies, can contact our broadband customer service team on 1800 242 558 to place an order.

I don't know what to make of this latest email from them, first it was end of July, then it was 6 - 8 weeks, now September, probably be Xmas next :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Got another email from the PO this morning with a bit more info regarding the Dundalk exchange:

I don't know what to make of this latest email from them, first it was end of July, then it was 6 - 8 weeks, now September, probably be Xmas next :rolleyes:

i suppose it would be the same for me down the road in drogheda :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

i suppose it would be the same for me down the road in drogheda :rolleyes:
    I'd imagine so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

BALLYJAMESDUFF
    COOLOCK
    MALAHIDE
    NEWMARKET-ON-FERGUS
    THOMASTOWN
    WALKINSTOWN

bbanswers - I presume that this is ADSL rather than ADSL2+?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

What will happen to business customers in areas where eircom do not use ADSL2+? Do they just get up to the maximum 7.6Mbs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

jarvis wrote: »
    I emailed Eircom press office on Weds and have not had a reply yet. Has anyone had a date for Ashbourne or does anyone know how long a reply usually takes?...... 6 to 8 weeks???????

Eircom sent us (work) out a new modem last week. Had no idea what it was for as no one had ordered a new one.

Then on Friday, we got a call from them saying that our service was being upgraded and we needed the new modem to handle the higher speeds.

He said we were moving to 10mb in about 2 weeks and that they would be in touch the day before the actual change as our service would drop for about an hour during the upgrade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Any word on Roaches St. exchange Limerick?....ADSL2+ enabled?, timeline for upgrades to 7.6MB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Any word on Roaches St. exchange Limerick?....ADSL2+ enabled?, timeline for upgrades to 7.6MB?

Posted it a few pages back Richard , sometime in September , got it from the press office .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

BALLYJAMESDUFF
    COOLOCK
    MALAHIDE
    NEWMARKET-ON-FERGUS
    THOMASTOWN
    WALKINSTOWN
    So much for Waterford...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

ElNino wrote: »
    bbanswers - I presume that this is ADSL rather than ADSL2+?

It has to be ADSL. Residential customers ain't getting 2+.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I wonder if Eircom are actually using ADSL2+ DSLAMS for all or most customers, but are using the RADSL backwards compatibility mode on the DSLAMS for the 7.6mb and below customers as they don't want to go to the expense of replacing every ones old ADSL modems with new ADSL2+ modems.

I was under the impression that most of the DSLAMS that Eircom have installed over the last few years are ADSL2+ compatible with just a firmware upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

bk wrote: »
    I wonder if Eircom are actually using ADSL2+ DSLAMS for all or most customers, but are using the RADSL backwards compatibility mode on the DSLAMS for the 7.6mb and below customers as they don't want to go to the expense of replacing every ones old ADSL modems with new ADSL2+ modems.

I was under the impression that most of the DSLAMS that Eircom have installed over the last few years are ADSL2+ compatible with just a firmware upgrade.
    The Netopia routers are ADSL2+ ready, if you will. Even the older 3347NWG model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 seansshack

Does anyone have the full list of exchanges that will be upgraded for the test?

I'm plugged into Ferrybank exchange (Waterford) - so not a hope I'd bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Even if modems were not adsl2+ compatible, they wouldn't have to replace them for people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bbanswers

seansshack wrote: »
    Does anyone have the full list of exchanges that will be upgraded for the test?

I'm plugged into Ferrybank exchange (Waterford) - so not a hope I'd bet.

I posted the full list.

Sorry. was:

BALLYJAMESDUFF
    COOLOCK
    MALAHIDE
    NEWMARKET-ON-FERGUS
    THOMASTOWN
    WALKINSTOWN
    WICKLOW

this the full list?

If so this is going to take a long while for the rest of us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bbanswers

Its a trial. If it goes bad then yes it will take a long time for the rest of you, if it goes well then the trial will be expanded and very quickly everyone will get the upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

My linksys BEFDSR41W is capable of 8MB speeds but not ADSL 2.

"ADSL: 8 Mbps downstream, 800 kbps upstream
    LAN: 10/100 Mbps (Half Duplex) 20/200 (Full Duplex)
    Wireless: Up to 11 Mbps"

Will I need a new one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

For what it's worth, my two lines on Crown Alley were updated last week -- one went from 4 Mb/s to 10 Mb/s, the other from 6 Mb/s to 12 Mb/s (speeds verified through web interface to Netopia router).

I had advance warning about the 6 Mb/s line; the other line happened unannounced (and two days earlier). The changeover was quite smooth, with very little downtime.

I'm in Limerick on 2mb so that means I have to wait until September to get an extra 1mb? Woo hoo :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

FWIW: According to EirCon's press office, Im connected to the Waterford Central exchange, which I believe is located behind the GPO on the Quay, which is about 3 miles from me. Yet while broadband was available to customers in Waterford City center itself, it wasnt available to me until just 3 years ago. Smart's line checker simply reports "Waterford".

The fact that DSL was available to my friends living in Summerville back in early 2004, yet not available to myself or anyone out the Dunmore road until late 2005. The fact that my line attenuation is only 18dB downstream. The fact that there is an exchange only 300-meters or so down the road from the house. I honestly dont know what exchange our line is connected to anymore.

Eircom told me I can avail of the 12Mbit DSL2+ service (or the slower 10Mbit service) which would be fantastic if I had a business connection and the money.

On a side note.. I have to chuckle at DigiWeb's pricing:
    4Meg Home DSL 84.95, 4Meg Business 89.95, other than that, there is no difference in the packages.

10Meg Metro will still cost less than Eircom's so thats probably my next port of call.. if the Metro service is available, and if I can get it, without downtime on my broadband service.

Looks like Waterford has been forgotten (as always). Considering the side of city and county is a bit nuts!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

The dates for each of the changes are being finalised with rollout to customers between now and June.

so according to the press release we should all have it now!
    :D

here

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Hi, I didn't want to start a new thread to ask this (I imagine this forum is flooded with them). I've got 2mb Eircom, live in Dublin 7 and my speed never goes above 211kb download. What should I be getting in an idea situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

your getting 211 kb/second

So your downloading 1 meg every 5 seconds or so?

Thats normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Eircom 3meg here, horrible speeds at the moment
    296603314.png

Thanks for reply nuxxx. So how come someone can get 810kb/s on 3mb? and I've seen higher speeds on these boards.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

grizzly wrote: »
    Thanks for reply nuxxx. So how come someone can get 810kb/s on 3mb? and I've seen higher speeds on these boards.

cause line quality or physicals are affecting the speed received on an upto 3MB line, post your line stats and confirm your physicals as per the FAQ/Charter sticky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

grizzly wrote: »

Youre mixing up kilobits and Kilobytes
    dont worry about your speeds,thats a reasonable speed to be downloading at,mine is 3meg and it maxes out on about 350 or less sometimes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement