Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

This is the response I got for speed upgrade on my exchange in Collooney, Co.Sligo. Going to be waiting a long time by the looks of it.

Thank you for your email.

Due to a transmission upgrade required at the Collooney exchange, speed upgrades to broadband customers in the Collooney area unfortunately will not come into affect before early 2009. Please be assured that we are addressing this issue as a matter of urgency and are in the process of finalising a completion date. I apologise for any inconvenience caused however I would be happy to update you when this upgrade has taken place.
    eircom is ADSL2+ enabling 117 exchanges nationwide of which Collooney is not one, however once the speed upgrades are completed, customers connected to the Collooney exchange availing of the 3Mb broadband product, and whose telephone line qualifies, will receive broadband speeds of up to 7.6Mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

delllat wrote: »
    Youre mixing up kilobits and Kilobytes
    dont worry about your speeds,thats a reasonable speed to be downloading at,mine is 3meg and it maxes out on about 350 or less sometimes

i no the difference between kb and kB
    The guy seemed pretty new to broadband lingo so i tryed to explain it with the 5 second per meg example

Is that ok for you sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Got following answer regarding Finglas exchange...
    The speed upgrades yada, yada, yada....

Speed increases on the eircom 2Mb broadband product and the eircom 3Mb
    broadband product will come into effect in the Finglas exchange over the
    second weekend in August.

The Finglas exchange was ADSL2+ upgraded earlier this year. Customers
    served on this exchange who wish to avail of our 10Mb or 12Mb product,
    and whose telephone line qualifies, can contact our broadband customer
    service team on 1800 242 558 to place an order.

that just under 4 weeks for me then.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Slightly off topic
    was on Comreg website to find any info about this.
    on the contact us page i clicked on the link in the left hand pane

What is ComRegs role

it returned
    Sorry, a fatal error has occurred on the site. ----

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

thats weird, normally it re-directs you wasteoftime.com ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

grizzly wrote: »
    Thanks for reply nuxxx. So how come someone can get 810kb/s on 3mb? and I've seen higher speeds on these boards.

This post tries to clarify the confusion that many have regarding KBps and kbps. Have a read.

Measure of file size: KBps
    File size ie. how big the file or how much space a file occupies in the hard disk measured in terms of KiloBytes (KB upper case “K” and upper case “B”). In computing terms the upper case “K” stands for 1024. 1024 is computed from 210. (2 power 10). 2 denote the number of characters in the binary system which is used to store data in the disc (ones and zeroes).
    Other abbreviations like mega, giga and terra also use the base as 1024,

1KB (KiloByte) = 1024 Bytes (approximately 1000 Bytes)
    1MB (MegaByte) = 1024 KB (approximately 1000 KiloBytes or 1 million Bytes)
    1GB (GigaByte) = 1024 MB (approximately 1000 MegaBytes or 1 billion Bytes)
    1TB (TerraByte) = 1024 GB (approximately 1000 GigaBytes or 1 trillion Bytes)

Measure of data transfer speeds: kbps
    Data transfer speed over the networks (including the internet) is calculated in terms of bits per second: kilobits (kb small case “k” and small case “b”). The higher the kbps i.e. more the bits transferred per second, more the speed, faster the network/connection. Here k stands for 1000 (103)

1 kbps (kilo bits per second) = 1000 bits per second
    1 Mbps (mega bits per second) = 1000 kilo bits per second.
    1 Gbps (giga bits per second) = 1,000 mega bits per second.

ISP bandwidth and download speeds:
    The most common confusion caused by the similarity of KBps and kbps is when it comes to internet bandwidth and download speeds. People often complain that their ISP promised 512kbps connectivity but they are seldom able to download any file at 512 KBps. They fail to notice the difference in cases of the units and hence think their ISP is cheating them or offering them poor quality service. As mentioned earlier data transfer speeds are always calculated in terms of kilo bits per second (kbps) so an ISP connectivity of 512 kbps promises of transfer of at the max 512 kilo bits per second.

On the other hand, file size measure is always in Kilo Bytes and thus download speeds are always calculated based on how many Bytes per second are downloaded and hence Kilo Bytes per second (KBps). KBps and kbps are not interchangeable.

So an internet connectivity of say 512kbps can never achieve a download speed of 512 KBps. To calculate the maximum download speed of a “X kbps” connection, we need to use a simple formula as below.

Download KBPS speed = (Kbps value*1000) /8)) / 1024.

I.e. For a connectivity of 512 kbps

kbps value * 1000 = 512 * 1000 = 512000

512000 / 8 = 64000

64000 / 1024 = 62.5 KBps

Therefore theoretically an internet connection of 512kbps bandwidth can download at a speed of 62.5 KBps

If you don’t want to go through all the hassles of the above formula, just multiply the kbps value with 0.1220703125 to get the KBps value.

512 kbps * 0.1220703125 = 62.5 KBps. Simple!

Internet connectivity Download speed (approx)
    256 kbps 31.3 KBps
    384 kbps 46.9 KBps
    512 kbps 62.5 KBps
    768 kbps 93.8 KBps
    1 mbps ~ 1000kbps 122.1 KBps

Download speeds are approximate because they will vary (always reduce) by 15 – 20% due to network signal loss, computer hardware overheads etc. So for realistic, real world figures always reduce 15 – 20% from the computed KBPS download speeds

HTH
    Pog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

If the 3mb increases to 7.6mb, I'd be tempted to upgrade from 2mb. Does the price stay the same (€48 at the mo I think).

Anyone know when Dublin 7 would be eligible for upgrade? I can't find a map of the exchange areas online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

If the 3mb increases to 7.6mb, I'd be tempted to upgrade from 2mb. Does the price stay the same (€48 at the mo I think).

Anyone know when Dublin 7 would be eligible for upgrade? I can't find a map of the exchange areas online.
    That's right, it will be. But bear in mind that your line would need to be in very good condition and have low noise on it for the upgrade to be of any benefit to you.

Check this out:
    http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx

Input your line stats as requested. You can find these inside your router's firmware.

The price after the upgrade will remain the same.

Email press_office@eircom.ie and specifically ask about when your exchange will receive its upgrade. They will get back to you tomorrow maybe, they're usually quite quick.

To find out the specific name for your exchange, use Smart Telecom's line checker.

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/line-checker.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

nuxxx wrote: »
    i no the difference between kb and kB
    The guy seemed pretty new to broadband lingo so i tryed to explain it with the 5 second per meg example

Is that ok for you sir

that post wasnt directed to you sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

seansshack wrote: »
    Looks like Waterford has been forgotten (as always). Considering the side of city and county is a bit nuts!!!

not all of Co. Waterford ...

(assuming they mean July in the current year ;) )
    Hi <snip>

[usual 1st paragraph stuff]

[B]Speed increases on the eircom 2Mb broadband product and the eircom
    3Mb broadband product will come into effect in the Portlaw exchange at the
    end of July.[/B]  The 2Mb product will be upgraded to 3Mb and the 3Mb 
    product will be upgraded to 7.6Mb.  The 3Mb broadband product upgrade to
    7.6Mb will not utilise ADSL2+ technology.

[usual "117 exchanges nationwide .." stuff]

Best Regards

<snip>
    Press Officer

this exchange was dsl enabled in may(ish) 2006
    wonder if all the newer / most recently enabled exchanges are being upgraded first???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

I just got this reply in regard of the Cobh exchange

Hi *****

The speed upgrades have been taking place on a phased basis over the
    last number of months and will continue throughout the next few months.
    We have extended the list of exchanges that will be upgraded which has
    naturally had an impact on our date for completion of all upgrades.

Speed increases on the eircom 2Mb broadband product and the eircom 3Mb
    broadband product will come into effect in the Cobh exchange at the end
    of July. The 2Mb product will be upgraded to 3Mb and the 3Mb product
    will be upgraded to 7.6Mb.

Best Regards

Press Officer

so hopefully two weeks for us in Cobh

I'm currently with Eircom paying €30 a month for 2mb. I've been looking at the UTV website. Would I be able to get 3Mb broadband with utv for €24 a month and then get upgraded to 7.6mb in September? There must be a catch?

I'm current with Eircom paying €30 a month for 2mb. I've been looking at the UTV website. Would I be able to get 3Mb broadband with utv for €24 a month and then get upgraded to 7.6mb in September? There must be a catch?

I'm with Perlico and see two catches as opposed to the same service with Eircom. The ping times aren't as good and they drop the PPPoE connection every 4 hours.

Karsini wrote: »
    The ping times aren't as good and they drop the PPPoE connection every 4 hours.
    Can you explain the importance of ping times to me? I'm not very knowledgeable about all this? And what the hell is PPPoE?:eek:

Can you explain the importance of ping times to me? I'm not very knowledgeable about all this? And what the hell is PPPoE?:eek:

The ping time is, simply put, the response time of the connection. It's slightly lower than Eircom but not by much in fairness.

The PPPoE connection is made internally by your modem in most cases, it's the equivalent of a dial-up connection. On some ISPs you can leave it connected all the time whereas I notice with Perlico that my modem drops off after 4 hours even if I have the modem set to stay connected. Could be a problem with long downloads for example, if the connection dropped during the download it might fail. I doubt it's a fault on my end because it's exactly 4 hours to the second.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Cabaal wrote: »
    cause line quality or physicals are affecting the speed received on an upto 3MB line, post your line stats and confirm your physicals as per the FAQ/Charter sticky

297053609.png

How do these compare to average speeds? I'm on 2mb.

297053609.png

How do these compare to average speeds? I'm on 2mb.
    On the ball. Just right for 2Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

The Eircom Press Office have told me my exchange (Delvin Co.Westmeath) is not due to be upgraded until late 2008/Early 2009 due to "A required Transmission Upgrade" so its a long wait here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry O'Henry

I have the current 4mb package in work in Dublin 1. I recieved a new router in the post about two weeks ago from Eircon, and I waited

................................... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Then I got fed up waiting, so I contacted my Eircon a/c mgr and asked when I might expect the promised 10Mb.

I was told that "There are no definite dates as yet but the overall upgrade project will be completed by end of September so it should be done in the next few weeks"

So, on the basis that no domestic users are going to be upgraded until after all of the business users are looked after, we will be lucky to see higher speeds by Christmas (and at that stage UPC will just upgrade all their customers to 50Mb for free!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

bbanswers wrote: »
    Trial upgrade beginning july 17th for residential customers.
    BALLYJAMESDUFF
    COOLOCK
    MALAHIDE
    NEWMARKET-ON-FERGUS
    THOMASTOWN
    WALKINSTOWN
    WICKLOW If that goes well............

Since nobody has posted all day can we safely presume that these trial upgrades didn't happen?
    Is there anyone from these areas able to reset then test their speeds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 solpadol

im on the coolock exchange, still stuck on 3mb :rolleyes: do i need to reset my modem of sumtin?

solpadol wrote: »
    im on the coolock exchange, still stuck on 3mb :rolleyes: do i need to reset my modem of sumtin?
    Power cycle it and see. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭leche solara

Does 'power cycle' mean turn it off and back on again, and if it does why not say that?

Does 'power cycle' mean turn it off and back on again, and if it does why not say that?
    Yes it does, and what's wrong with me saying it like I did? It's quicker. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭leche solara

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Yes it does, and what's wrong with me saying it like I did? It's quicker. :)

Because people come here looking for help and are often intimidated by technical terms. You can see earlier in the thread the confusion over bits and bytes and KB and Kb. I know it might just trip off your tongue to say power cycle but some people will just say "ah Jaysus" and give up...

Because people come here looking for help and are often intimidated by technical terms. You can see earlier in the thread the confusion over bits and bytes and KB and Kb. I know it might just trip off your tongue to say power cycle but some people will just say "ah Jaysus" and give up...
    Point taken. I've always been a technical enthusiast, and yeah, it does "trip" off my tongue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 solpadol

tried resetting the router same speeds no change at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

no changes here in Malahide also ,nothing yet fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

If there not done by the end of tomorrow it's really bad form and comes across as if they are pulling dates out of thin air.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement