Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im very pleased about those uploads speeds, the new upload on the 7.6meg package is faster than what my download was when i got broadband first only 3 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kenny11

How come no mention of increases to download allownance yet,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

From the wholesale prices here,

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/dynamic/pdf/bitpricelistv3.9_v2.pdf

there is only a small decrease in the 1Mb product (80c) with almost a €6 decrease in the 3Mb product. Presumably these decreases offer scope for a decline in retail rates so that you could get your 3Mb speed increased one and a half times while paying slightly less! :)

Probably there won't be much of a retail decrease in the 1Mb services, but the gap in cost with faster services will be reduced, so many people like me will probably pay the extra €5 or so to get 3Mb rather than 1Mb.

I wonder too if UTV will pull their new contract stunt if we are to get a new rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

think about it, you're annoucing something that are saying is brilliant, from eircom's point of view it looks like "look at us, aren't we brilliant, all this extra with no extra cost to the customer" they'd ruin it if they mentioned download caps or how it's about 5 years too late.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Cremo wrote: »
    think about it, you're annoucing something that are saying is brilliant, from eircom's point of view it looks like "look at us, aren't we brilliant, all this extra with no extra cost to the customer" they'd ruin it if they mentioned download caps or how it's about 5 years too late.
    Lol Cremo, Brilliantly said :D, The caps will be in small print whenever eircom bother to roll out these upgrades and send that on a letter (like they done in the past) when we got upgrades done

Nick

• Advertisement

no i'm sure they won't be in small print they'll be there under each package but it's just common business practice.

ie, at the recent macworld you didn't hear steve jobs saying that the macbook air has a non user changeable battery.

when you do press releases you do nothing that can negetively effect your company. every company does it and the fact that eircom can actually pull that off should be more surprising than not mentioning the caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I can't believe believe people still mention the word cap. It's really very silly because Eircom have been phenomenally good over the years for not charging people when they could have. SO LET ME SAY IT AGAIN, EIRCOM DO NOT CHARGE FOR GOING OVER CAPS, UNLESS YOU REALLY TAKE THE PI$$. It has been mentioned probably 50 times over the last two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Praetorian wrote: »
    I can't believe believe people still mention the word cap. It's really very silly because Eircom have been phenomenally good over the years for not charging people when they could have. SO LET ME SAY IT AGAIN, EIRCOM DO NOT CHARGE FOR GOING OVER CAPS, UNLESS YOU REALLY TAKE THE PI$$. It has been mentioned probably 50 times over the last two years.
    This is like saying that a speed limit doesn't matter on a piece of road because there are no guards on it. If the speed limit is too low for a stretch of road then it should be changed to something more reasonable, you can't say "err, we wont bother enforcing it, so it doesn't matter".

I'd prefer if they gave us a reasonable cap and enforced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Sconsey

So tell me......

I have line attenuation of 50db which will just about support 1Meg, I am on a 1 Meg because of that....if my local exchange gets switched to ADSL2 can I expect to see a drop in the line attenuation? (which will allow me to buy a better package)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

A Fair Use policy like most other countries providers use would be a good idea, i.e: meaning theres no real "limit" but it wont allow you to take the absolute pi$$ and be downloading 24/7. A fair way of giving broadband imo, esp at the premium rates were currently paying!

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

yoyo wrote: »
    A Fair Use policy like most other countries providers use would be a good idea, i.e: meaning theres no real "limit" but it wont allow you to take the absolute pi$$ and be downloading 24/7. A fair way of giving broadband imo, esp at the premium rates were currently paying!

Nick

That's just a hidden cap and there are providers like that in the country too.

daveyjoe wrote: »
    This is like saying that a speed limit doesn't matter on a piece of road because there are no guards on it. If the speed limit is too low for a stretch of road then it should be changed to something more reasonable, you can't say "err, we wont bother enforcing it, so it doesn't matter".

sorry but your analogy fails, you ain't going to kill someone by breaking your download cap.

Bad analogy I'm afraid. There are never any garda on eircoms broadband road. The caps are just guidelines. I'd advise all the people who worry about Eircom charging one day to be ten times more worried about all the illegal stuff they're downloading with their huge "caps" :) Now that stuff could get them in trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

jor el wrote: »
    Muppet, Mope, Miserable shower of feckers in eircom giving you a crap modem? My money's on the last one.

Since the upgrade is not going to be implemented till June, you have plenty of time to harass eircom into giving you a new one.

Obviously, the Zyxel 645 is not a great modem by today's standards however, as Alun pointed out, this was the standard issue modem back in 2003. You can't expect eircom to swap it for a new one ,free of charge, after all this time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sconsey wrote: »
    So tell me......
    I have line attenuation of 50db which will just about support 1Meg, I am on a 1 Meg because of that....

Sounds right at present, however around 45-48db will support 2mbit so whats your margin in your line stats (diagnostics menu on netopia ) ??
    if my local exchange gets switched to ADSL2 can I expect to see a drop in the line attenuation? (which will allow me to buy a better package)

Looks like a yes, with 1024 Now and 50db and also a pretty crummy margin of 4db or 8db this checker feels you could support 4mbits .

http://www2.farina1.com/ADSL/default.aspx

But this is Ireland , we have different and special copper .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

With ADSL2+ the maximum IP throughput is likely to be around: 9125 Kbps

On BT 3Mb at the moment. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 3072 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 48.0 db 27.0 db
    Noise Margin 17.1 db 12.0 db

Only 1meg, i have 3. And a Line of 48 as you can see!

http://212.23.23.177/ADSL/default.aspx

have a max of 5mb or 6.3 on adsl2

It's likely Mr Fergusons calculations won't correspond to what we get from Eircom someday, they are notoriously precautious to ensure stability. Could be wrong...18m/bit would be sweet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

:D

Enter your line data to receive an estimate of what the possible downstream speeds you may achieve if you are able to run on a rate-adaptive service.

Current Line Sync (connection) speed in Kilo bits per second (Kbps)

Downstream Line Attenuation (dB)

Noise Margin, sometimes referred to as Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR)

We estimate that if using a rate adaptive up to 8Mbps service your maximum line speed will be: 8128Kbps

If your service provider uses ADSL2+ we estimate you may manage line speeds of: 23051Kbps

With ADSL2+ the maximum IP throughput is likely to be around: 20399Kbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

zugvogel wrote: »
    Also agree with that. Up till a month ago I couldn't get DSL. Had tried everything - wireless, 3, Vodafone etc. The day the exchange went DSL live I ordered a 2mbit bundle which is more than enough for tele-working, and in due course it will be 3mbit. I live in a rural area and there will still be plenty of people around here who won't be able to get DSL either because they're too far from the exchange or on a carrier line. It’s a totally unfair situation, especially given the fact that many state/public bodies are encouraging people/businesses to use e-services like motor tax online, planning online, revenue online and so on the one hand, and yet on the other are doing very little by way of solid work in making the service available to all.

Zug

Live out in the sticks put up with the sh!t :D

Its as simple as that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Bad analogy I'm afraid. There are never any garda on eircoms broadband road. The caps are just guidelines. I'd advise all the people who worry about Eircom charging one day to be ten times more worried about all the illegal stuff they're downloading with their huge "caps" :) Now that stuff could get them in trouble!

Why are they guidelines? Did eircom say that their caps are guidelines? I suspect not. They are part of the specifications of the package, eircom just decide not to enforce them.

My analogy doesn't directly correlate, but my point is that when something is unfair then you fix it. You don't ignore it and then use that as an excuse for its existence.

It is better to have a liberal cap which is enforced rather than a stingy cap which they decide to waive.

By the way, you can exceed you cap by downloading legal 'stuff' too.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dan99989

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    :D

Enter your line data to receive an estimate of what the possible downstream speeds you may achieve if you are able to run on a rate-adaptive service.

Current Line Sync (connection) speed in Kilo bits per second (Kbps)

Downstream Line Attenuation (dB)

Noise Margin, sometimes referred to as Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR)

We estimate that if using a rate adaptive up to 8Mbps service your maximum line speed will be: 8128Kbps

If your service provider uses ADSL2+ we estimate you may manage line speeds of: 23051Kbps

With ADSL2+ the maximum IP throughput is likely to be around: 20399Kbps

The link for this is: http://www2.farina1.com/adsl

Give it a go and see what happens... :D

By the way, you can exceed you cap by downloading legal 'stuff' too.

As if we use our caps for downloading all legal stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

dan99989 wrote: »
    The link for this is: http://www2.farina1.com/adsl

Give it a go and see what happens... :D

Looks good?

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 31.00 8.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 14.50 8.00

http://i32.tinypic.com/11sgylg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

Current Line Sync (connection) speed in Kilo bits per second (Kbps) 3072

Downstream Line Attenuation (dB) 21

Noise Margin, sometimes referred to as Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) 20

If you do not know how to obtain your line stats from your ADSL modem or router then visit Kitz's website which shows how to get these values for lots of kit.

If you are on a Max product, that uses the IP Profile system (sometimes called BRAS Data Rate) if you maintain the above line speed for 3 days or more your IP Profile would be set to: 7.15Mbps

If your service provider uses ADSL2+ we estimate you may manage line speeds of: 21272Kbps

With ADSL2+ the maximum IP throughput is likely to be around: 18825Kbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

Need to try my modem on other lines in the house to see if i get a lower db.

I used to get 30db att

and 20 snr

right now its 49 att and 12 snr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Name Value
    Connected true
    Operational Mode G.Dmt.BisPlus
    State Showtime
    Tx Bit Rate 1055300
    Rx Bit Rate 18315600
    Local SNRMargin 9.0 dB
    Local Line Attn 21.0 dB
    Local Tx Power 12.4 dB
    Remote Line Attn 9.0 dB
    Remote SNRMargin 0 dB

I got this but don't have a clue what any of it means.

:o

Can someone enlighten me ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Current Line Sync (connection) speed in Kilo bits per second (Kbps) 3072

Downstream Line Attenuation (dB) 6

Noise Margin, sometimes referred to as Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) 21

We estimate that if using a rate adaptive up to 8Mbps service your maximum line speed will be: 8128

If you are on a Max product, that uses the IP Profile system (sometimes called BRAS Data Rate) if you maintain the above line speed for 3 days or more your IP Profile would be set to: 7.15 Mbps

If your service provider uses ADSL2+ we estimate you may manage line speeds of: 23729 Kbps
    With ADSL2+ the maximum IP throughput is likely to be around: 20999 Kbps

[approx 300 M from the exchange]

roll on june :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

some eircom resellers do penalise for going over the cap, which completely negates your point.

• Advertisement

No it doesn't because we were talking about Eircom.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement