Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Okay this is somewhat adding to my confusion...

When I contacted Eircom's Press Office asking about the upgrades I also gave them my number so they could check. They replied back to tell me our line is connected to the Waterford Central exchange, which as I said before, is about 3-4 miles as I live in Knockboy and that I could avail of the 10 and 12Mbit packages if I chose.

The knockboy exchange (behind the Woodlands Hotel), is only a five minute walk down the road, and given my line stats (35SNR/18DB down), Im inclined to believe Im connected to Knockboy as opposed to Waterford Central.. That being said, I also know for a fact that the Cybermart Internet cafe on the park road (both their lines) are connected to Tycor.

Now the list Grizzly provided, shows Waterford Central as being ADSL2+ enabled, which is correct of course, and lists Knockboy as one of the exchanges getting upgraded next weekend, however Waterford Central, is not listed as being one of the exchanges getting the automatic upgrade, nor is it one of the exchanges that has been upgraded already. It really makes no sence that Tramore, and Dunmore and Knockboy exchanges get upgraded before the Waterford ones.

I guess Im resigned to contacting eircom or DigiWeb to find out what the story is regarding the upgrades. If I am connected to Waterford Central.. I would hate to think I could be waiting weeks after Tramore and Dunmore get upgraded just for being connected to the city center exchange.. yet if I am connected to Knockboy I am effectivly capped at 7.6 since that exchange isnt ADSL2+

Oh well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

I got the same Mail as Grizzly,

it also states that the the info will be on the website on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

why isnt letterkenny on that list, it's one of the largest exchanges in donegal....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Okay this is somewhat adding to my confusion...

When I contacted Eircom's Press Office asking about the upgrades I also gave them my number so they could check. They replied back to tell me our line is connected to the Waterford Central exchange, which as I said before, is about 3-4 miles as I live in Knockboy and that I could avail of the 10 and 12Mbit packages if I chose.

The knockboy exchange (behind the Woodlands Hotel), is only a five minute walk down the road, and given my line stats (35SNR/18DB down), Im inclined to believe Im connected to Knockboy as opposed to Waterford Central.. That being said, I also know for a fact that the Cybermart Internet cafe on the park road (both their lines) are connected to Tycor.

Now the list Grizzly provided, shows Waterford Central as being ADSL2+ enabled, which is correct of course, and lists Knockboy as one of the exchanges getting upgraded next weekend, however Waterford Central, is not listed as being one of the exchanges getting the automatic upgrade, nor is it one of the exchanges that has been upgraded already. It really makes no sence that Tramore, and Dunmore and Knockboy exchanges get upgraded before the Waterford ones.

I guess Im resigned to contacting eircom or DigiWeb to find out what the story is regarding the upgrades. If I am connected to Waterford Central.. I would hate to think I could be waiting weeks after Tramore and Dunmore get upgraded just for being connected to the city center exchange.. yet if I am connected to Knockboy I am effectivly capped at 7.6 since that exchange isnt ADSL2+

Oh well...
    Put your number into the smart telecom line checker and they will tell you what exchange you are on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Update, Dundalk/Louth has been delayed:
    Unfortunately, Dundalk is one of the few locations that has yet have a finalised schedule and date set for the upgrade of 2Mb and 3Mb customers. This should be finalised in the coming three to four weeks.
    Head of Communications
    Eircom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

just been off the phone to the script monkeys

My exchange is getting upgraded next weekend to 7.6 mb and im getting fast path turned on and interleaving turned off

If its stable when it happens im gona be one happy guy!

gg eircon(finally)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,950 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sligo's on that list. woo hoo!
    Indeed... woot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭simi956

A mate just rang me to say his exchange in Rush is upgraded. The trial exchanges must have been extended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Anything about Offaly? Ive been keeping an eye on this thread and haven't seen anything. I may email them. But by the time they get back to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Put your number into the smart telecom line checker and they will tell you what exchange you are on.
    Actually that is surprisingly useless. There are at least three exchanges in Waterford City: Waterford Tycor, Waterford Central and Knockboy. My line returns as "Waterford".

When I emailed the Press Office, I was told I was connected to Central, and I could get 12Meg on DSL2+. When I called one of their Script Monkey's today, he told me that I could only get up to 5Mbit :confused:
    The DSL checker page says I could get the full 8Megs on ADSL with my stats.. Im finding it difficult to believe that a line running from Riverview all the way as far as the GPO.. could have only 18db attenuation on the downstream...

• Advertisement

Actually that is surprisingly useless. There are at least three exchanges in Waterford City: Waterford Tycor, Waterford Central and Knockboy. My line returns as "Waterford".

I got the same thing...there are at least 2 exchanges I know of in Limerick but all I got back was "Limerick".

Also I emailed the press office earlier in the week and got a reply from someone there at 12.14am last night! Said they'd get back to me next week sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

nuxxx wrote: »
    just been off the phone to the script monkeys

My exchange is getting upgraded next weekend to 7.6 mb and im getting fast path turned on and interleaving turned off

If its stable when it happens im gona be one happy guy!

gg eircon(finally)

What's the advantage of a fast data path over interleave? When i switched back to my old router it went back to interleave but I havn't noticed any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

rc28 wrote: »
    What's the advantage of a fast data path over interleave? When i switched back to my old router it went back to interleave but I havn't noticed any difference.

Interleaving off results in lower pings afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

hmmmm

digiweb have the new dsl speeds on their site but no increase in cap :mad:
    price has dropped a few eu tho - €39.95 now for 3meg (was 42 something inc vat)

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/dsl/

40gig on a 7.6 DSL - WTF?

it's hard enough to stay within the 40 on 3 megs at the mo

the 40 is both up & down too

hmmmm

digiweb have the new dsl speeds on their site but no increase in cap :mad:
    price has dropped a few eu tho - €39.95 now for 3meg (was 42 something inc vat)

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/dsl/

40gig on a 7.6 DSL - WTF?

it's hard enough to stay within the 40 on 3 megs at the mo

the 40 is both up & down too
    That's a joke- 20 GB cap for 3mb??:eek::mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Interleaving off results in lower pings afaik.
    Correct. Wiki has a decent article on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Next week huh.Dont believe it for a second they will find a way to **** it up, they always do.By the time 26th July comes 60% of that list will be put back to Aug 6th, then Aug 6th will be put back to " a few weeks more " and so forth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

grizzly wrote: »
    Just got this through. Sorry if it's old info;

The exchanges completed include:[/LEFT]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    Adelaide Road
    Aglish
    Ashbourne
    Aughrim
    Balbriggan
    Ballickmoyler
    Ballina
    Ballincollig
    Ballineen
    Ballon
    Ballyboden
    Ballycoolin
    Bandon
    Beggars Bush
    Belcamp
    Blanchardstown
    Borris In Ossory
    Bray
    Cabra
    Cappagh
    Carbury
    Carlow
    Castlbar
    Castletroy
    Cavan
    Celbridge
    Churchfield
    Citywest
    Clogherhead
    Clondalkin
    Clonlara
    Clonmel
    Clontarf
    Coolock
    Crossagalla
    Crown Alley
    Crumlin
    Crusheen
    Custom House Docks
    Dolphins Barn
    Dundrum
    Dungarvan
    Dun Laoghaire
    Eastpoint
    Ennis
    Enniscorthy
    Finglas
    Foxrock
    Gortnagowna
    Greystones
    Horseleap
    Kildare
    Kildimo
    Kilkenny
    Killarney
    Kilmacow
    Kinvara
    Leap
    Leixlip
    Limerick
    Little Island
    Lucan
    Lucan, Ballydowd
    Malahide
    Maynooth
    Merrion
    Mervue
    Miltown Malbay
    Monaghan
    Mullinavat
    Mullingar
    Naas
    Navan
    New Ross
    Newbridge
    Newlands Cross
    North Main
    Nutley
    Park West
    Patrickswell
    Portlaoise
    Portmarnock
    Priory Park
    Prosperous
    Quaker Road
    Rathcoole
    Rathedmond
    Rathmines
    Rhode
    Rochestown
    Rosenallis
    Roslevin
    Sandyford
    Shankhill
    Shannon Airport
    Shannon Town
    Shantalla
    Sligo
    Summerhill
    Sutton
    Swords
    Tallaght
    Terenure
    Tralee
    Trim
    Tuam
    Tullamore
    Tullyvin
    Waterford Central
    Waterford Tycor
    Wexford Anne Street
    Whitehall
    Whitepark

What is up with some of those exchanges being upgraded to ADSL2+? It mentions that these are the largest exchanges in the country, but theres many exchanges there that are only tiny areas such as Rhode, Prosperous, Miltown Malbay, Horseleap and many others listed there that are tiny places yet there are many exchanges with large population centres not being upgraded to ADSL2+ at all.
    I presume Eircom is going to slowly upgrade all the exchanges in the country to ADSL2+ over the next year??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Also im wondering to the few people who have been upgraded over the past day or so, has your new speed matched similar to what was being projected to you from this website http://212.23.23.177/ADSL/default.aspx

Im wondering how acurate are the results from the above link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Very good question gonzo. I would have thought Eircom would set their speeds on the conservative side as usual!

• Advertisement

Output from telnet window:
    Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 384 Kbps, Downstream rate = 3072 Kbps
    Link Power State: L0
    Mode: G.DMT
    Channel: Fast
    Trellis: ON
    Line Status: No Defect
    Training Status: Showtime

Down Up
    SNR (dB): 14.4 15.0
    Attn(dB): 50.0 25.0
    Pwr(dBm): 16.8 0.3
    Max(Kbps): 5440 1252
    Rate (Kbps): 3072 384

Output from site:
    Your maximum line connection speed using an ADSL (up to 8Mbps) service is: 4998Kbps

If you are on a Max product, that uses the IP Profile system (sometimes called BRAS Data Rate) if you maintain the above line speed for 3 days or more your IP Profile would be set to: 4Mbps

If your service provider uses ADSL2+ the maximum line speed likely is: 5508Kbps

With ADSL2+ the maximum IP throughput is likely to be around: 4874Kbps

Your line should perform very well under ADSL, the estimated speed based on your data is higher than what is to be expected for that attenuation.
    Most lines achieve around 4630Kbps

Your ADSL2+ speeds are likely to be in the range 3750Kbps to 6000Kbps.

The site seems kinda accurate. 5508kbps v 4998Kbps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

So it's July 26th for the Roaches St. exchange in Limerick?, and it is ADSL2+ ready?...or will the 7.6MB come as a software update?

Can people on the malahide and other upgraded exchanges please update on how their broadband has been performing? In particular, could those on the 7.6mb post some more speedtest results, cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

in malahide and after several calls to support my speed is 3.944!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

kamin99 wrote: »
    in malahide and after several calls to support my speed is 3.944!

Were you on 2MB or 3mb?

--edit--

read you are on 3mb, so you gone from 3mb to 4mb, better then a kick in the face, but not a huge leap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I'm living in Carlow, any news when i'll be upgraded?

On 3mb BT at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Living in Wicklow Town and have been upgraded to 7.6MB from 3Mb Eircom package.
    At first I was only getting 5408/672 speeds with a SN Margin (dB) of 8 on my Eircom 2247NWG-EIR router so started a bit of investigating. I swapped the 2247NWG router for an Eircom 2247-02 router and my speeds changed to 5280/672 with a SN Margin (dB) of 6.5. Then put in an Eircom 3347NWG-EIR Router and my speeds upped to 5696/672 with a SN Margin (dB) of 6. I was amazed that a change of router could have such an effect on speed and SN. Because my SN Margin (dB) was so crappie I pulled my SKY Box and Dect Phone out which share an ADSL filter and my speeds jumped to 7616/672 on all routers and the SN Margin (dB) to 13 on my 2247NWG-EIR router. Changed the ADSL filter on the SKY/Dect and the speeds stayed the same so must have been a bad filter. The other routers all gave identical speeds but the SN Margin (dB) was 11.5 on the 2247-2 and 17 on the 3347. I tried changing the ADSL filter that the routers are connected to but the speed dropped and at one stage was getting something like 2200/254. I since found a dodgy connection where I connect my router.
    My conclusions are that issues like I had will start to become more common with the upgrades especially to the 7.6MB package and above. I was blissfully unaware of these issues when I was on the 3MB package. Also I think cheap ADSL filters, phone wires and routers all make a difference even if only for a few SN Margin (dB) but could be enough to stop you from getting the full speeds.
    Apologies for ranting but I thought my experiences might help others who might find the upgrade speeds below what they thought they would get.
    Would love to hear recommendations on Filters and Routers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yey bray is getting adsl2+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Roll on the 26th!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Demondaze

Edited because I skipped a page like a bleeding eejit and have now found the answer to my own question :D

Aside from....

I'm on UTV 3mb in Limerick on the Caherdavin exchange which that list from page 80 says is due for upgrade the weekend of the 26th. Will UTV, as a reseller, provide me with this upgrade automatically or will I have to phone them or Eircom or such?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement