Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Demondaze wrote: »
    And if it's happening on July 26th, does it mean Eircom resellers like UTV (who I'm on) will be passing it on to their customers? Do we have to ring up about it?
    I'm on 3mb.
    Yes. I am on BT (eircom reseller) and have been upgraded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Demondaze wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Caherdavin exchange in Limerick will be upgraded? That's what that Smart line checker says I'm on. And if it's happening on July 26th, does it mean Eircom resellers like UTV (who I'm on) will be passing it on to their customers? Do we have to ring up about it?
    I'm on 3mb.

I assume so as I'm on UTV too. Would be awful cheeky to tie customers into another 12 month contract...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Demondaze

Cheers for the quick replies lads!

I guess I'll all be waiting come upgrade time to see what exactly UTV do. I'm sure they'll find some way to make it a little frustrating for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Dundalk exchange:
    I need to check out the specifics for Dundalk but I know that one of the reasons for the delay to some exchange is that we need to increase the transmission capacity into some exchanges before we provide the upgrades. We follow traffic volumes both at network and exchange levels and we have an upgrade programme for those locations where we anticipate there will be congestion in the near future.

Will investigate. It may be a couple more weeks before schedule is finalised and agreed internally, and I don't want to give you an incorrect date.

Press Office

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I assume so as I'm on UTV too. Would be awful cheeky to tie customers into another 12 month contract...

Normally the resellers pass the new products on to their customers although UTV have tried in the past to get customers to sign up to a new contract to get them. This may have changed as they now appear to charge everyone a leaving fee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

What I'm worried about is that some people that have been upgraded have reported that their pings have increased to nearly the 100ms mark.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

skitty was is that based on?

iv been told all the exchanges will be set to fast path instead of interleaving for all residental lines

man the pings rocket im gona go apesh1t

3rd time now , can someone whos been upgrades please post there dos pings to the following

www.kplay.de www.utservers.nl www.multiplay.co.uk

thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bbanswers

If you are upgraded you will be on higher interleaving meaning higher latency. The 3Mbps package should remain in low interleaving so I presume if pings are important you could request to move to the lower 2Mbps (soon to be 3Mbps) saving a bit of money and keeping your ping time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Somebody on here said Eircom would update their website today to launch the new packages. I can't find any mention of it (let alone a press release) on the site.

bbanswers wrote: »
    If you are upgraded you will be on higher interleaving meaning higher latency. The 3Mbps package should remain in low interleaving so I presume if pings are important you could request to move to the lower 2Mbps (soon to be 3Mbps) saving a bit of money and keeping your ping time.

Strange, i was told all residental packages are being moved to fastpath

Would make things very clear if someone whos on 7.6 mb connection to post there ping times , so do it please! or i might cancel my upgrade if they sky rocket the ping times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Yes. I am on BT (eircom reseller) and have been upgraded.

i'm with BT on one of the exchanges listed in this post thats listed as already upgraded and i'm still on 3mb not 7.6mb :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Scruff wrote: »
    i'm with BT on one of the exchanges listed in this post thats listed as already upgraded and i'm still on 3mb not 7.6mb :(
    There is a difference between an adsl2+ upgrade and a software upgrade.
    My exchange has had a software upgrade. Only the following have had upgrades:
    Ballyjamesduff
    Coolock
    Malahide
    Newmarket-on-Fergus
    Thomastown
    Walkinstown
    Wicklow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

bbanswers wrote: »

This is very worrying, I want the faster speed but I certainly dont want rubbish 100ms ping times. Can people who have been upgraded to the 7.6meg package please do some dos ping tests to boards.ie, jolt.co.uk and a few other places, Thanks.

here here gonzo! i was told all residental packages are being put onto fastpath, not interleaving, but the script monkeys might be wrong , and feck playing with 100 ms ping times instead of 40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

nuxxx wrote: »
    Strange, i was told all residental packages are being moved to fastpath

Would make things very clear if someone whos on 7.6 mb connection to post there ping times , so do it please! or i might cancel my upgrade if they sky rocket the ping times

when they mistakenly upgraded me to 7.6 i did some ping tests

pinged bbc.co.uk from the netopia router page and got 50ms, its normally 20ms :eek:
    then i did a speedtest on speedtest.net and got 110ms, its normally 40ms:eek:

my advice to gamers is to keep the 3mb package and save some money, which i already stated earlier in the thread, nuxx you never stop asking questions!!!

ffs plonkers

i hope u only got those ping times cause of congestion or some malfunction on there network

DO EIRCOM EVEN RELISE THERE IS GAMERS IN THIS COUNTRY.
    nuxx you never stop asking questions!!!

Information is power!

theres never any congestion on my line, no contention because nobody uses the internet around here, i could piss on the exchange from my house :P

theres never any congestion on my line, no contention because nobody uses the internet around here, i could piss on the exchange from my house :P

so what connection are you on now? 3mb?
    How are your ping times?
    Are u on fastpath or interleave?

so what connection are you on now? 3mb?
    How are your ping times?
    Are u on fastpath or interleave?

ive been on 3mb since last year, my line is on the business part of the exchange, therefore its interleaved.

boards.ie 5ms

kplay.de 30ms

utservers.nl 20ms

multiplay.co.uk 17ms

those ping times are amazing....... Iv got 3mb atm and my ping times are 35 to utservers.nl 44 to kplay.de ETC

You sure your on interleaving under datapath in advanced diagnostics?

Iv heard there killing interleaving on residental packages whilst doing these upgrades..

• Advertisement

You sure your on interleaving under datapath in advanced diagnostics?

yeah man i know my shiat!! the beauty of it is that i have a stable line and good pings, im not a pc gamer i only play xbox live, i connect to a scottish host better than the other scottish lads i play with:D im always 4 bars of green and they are 3. muahhaha

lucker fecker :pac:

Thx for info appreciated!

Back to work ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

yeah man i know my shiat!!

No you don't seemingly. There is no contention ON your line as you asserted. Its in the exchange or further back.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    No you don't seemingly. There is no contention ON your line as you asserted. Its in the exchange or further back.

stop being a smartass, have you nothing else to bring to this topic other than your cheeky comments :confused:

edit: ah i suppose you have over 8000 posts on this site, you have no life and nothing better to do, doesnt bother me so work away there son

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Spongebob has probably forgotten more about broadband than the rest of humanity combined will ever know, and is one of the most knowledgable contributors on this forum, so I'd ease off the snide comments, "son".

well in fairness that comment was abit narky!

"Spongebob has probably forgotten more about broadband than the rest of humanity"

forgotten?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Hang on, surely with those pings, you don't have interleaving on. I can ping Multiplay in the UK with a ping of 22 and I have fast path on.

ye i was thinking the same.. those pings are uber low

edit: ah i suppose you have over 8000 posts on this site, you have no life and nothing better to do, doesnt bother me so work away there son
    Why are you posting here if you "have a life and have better things to do"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

well in fairness that comment was abit narky!

"Spongebob has probably forgotten more about broadband than the rest of humanity"

forgotten?

When you say that XXX has forgotten more about YYY than anyone else will ever know, it's a compliment about XXX's knowledge of YYY.

I didn't think I'd have to explain that one, to be honest. Try googling "forgotten more about" "than you will ever know" and you'll see what I mean.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement