Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Never heard of that terminology before

to be honest.

If someone has forgotten more than the rest of humanity they no doesnt that imply they now no nothin? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

*to be read in a deep movie trailer voice*

Their love of fast broadband would bring them together.

Their adherence to strict terminology would tear them apart.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

grizzly wrote: »
    *to be read in a deep movie trailer voice*

Their love of fast broadband would bring them together.

Their adherence to strict terminology would tear them apart.

:p

Quality V Funny anyway guys keep this on topic as we don't want to get this thread shut over handbags at 10 paces

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

would the 'shiat knower' kindly ping each of the following

www.boards.ie
    www.jolt.co.uk
    the scottish server

AND

post all the results back here together with your line stats including margins please

they are the normal comparative benchmarks around here for everyones sake .

is the 'shiat knowers' exchange recently enabled ??

also note that while interleave on = fastpath off

nevertheless interleave off NOT = fastpath on

I seem to recall there is an intermediate setting on the 6400 which is neither

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Right, to remove any confusion, unless Eircom want to quadruple the size of their support center interleaving will NEVER be turned off for all connections. The bulk of BB customers in Ireland only have a stable connection because interleaving is on. You may be lucky enough to get on fast path on an individual basis if your line is good enough and you get a knowledgeable CSR when you ring.
    Regarding business (ADSL1) v residential (ADSL1), technically they're identical products just sold differently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Lads, interleaving isn't just on or off, it can be set at different levels as well.

My ping to boards.ie 10ms
    Jolt.co.uk 19ms

My interleaving is technically on. (set pretty low).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Scruff wrote: »
    i'm with BT on one of the exchanges listed in this post thats listed as already upgraded and i'm still on 3mb not 7.6mb :(
    What's your SN/Noise Margin and Line Attenuation? You can find that information inside your router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Lads im on 1mb for free for 2 months what could i upgrade too with these stats
    Speed
    1024/128 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    51/31 dB

Im in Rush Co Dublin

Psygnosis wrote: »
    Lads im on 1mb for free for 2 months what could i upgrade too with these stats
    Speed
    1024/128 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    51/31 dB

Im in Rush Co Dublin
    What's your SN/Noise Margin in dB? You can find that where you found your Line Attenuation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I'm in Artane and I haven't been upgraded yet, I assumed it was part of the coolock exchange but apparently not, It isn't even on that huge list a few pages back.

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »
    I'm in Artane and I haven't been upgraded yet, I assumed it was part of the coolock exchange but apparently not, It isn't even on that huge list a few pages back.
    Use this to find out what exchange you're on:
    http://smarttelecom.ie/line-checker.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

ShaneU wrote: »

Belcamp exchange and it's August 9th

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Any body any idea when the ballyboden exchange is updated?

Cheers

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Any body any idea when the ballyboden exchange is updated?

Cheers

Nick
    If it's not on the list posted earlier, then it could be in September or later. Email press_office@eircom.ie and ask them the same question. They usually respond within one business day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

I'm on the Bray exchange, not upgraded yet. Restarted my router. No deal.

Is the Bray exchange already enabled or..?

This is so confusing!

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 3072 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 48.0 db 30.0 db
    Noise Margin 12.9 db 15.0 db

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

no, the list said

bray is updated to adsl2+ but customers will not be upgraded until sometime in august (there's a date given i'm just too lazy to go back and read it :p)

Beau x1 wrote: »
    I'm on the Bray exchange, not upgraded yet. Restarted my router. No deal.

Is the Bray exchange already enabled or..?

This is so confusing!

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 3072 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 48.0 db 30.0 db
    Noise Margin 12.9 db 15.0 db

Looking at your stats I'm not sure your line will take much more than 3 meg, I'm surprised it even gets that much with 48dB attenuation.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

DECEiFER wrote: »
    If it's not on the list posted earlier, then it could be in September or later. Email press_office@eircom.ie and ask them the same question. They usually respond within one business day.

Its on the long list, its a popular exchange afaik, I'll get dad to email them tomorow lol

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Karsini wrote: »
    Looking at your stats I'm not sure your line will take much more than 3 meg, I'm surprised it even gets that much can with 48dB attenuation.
    Damn, is there anything I can do about it?

--

@Cremo: Ah, there's so many 'press releases' and things posted in this thread I don't know what to believe now haha.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Karsini wrote: »
    Looking at your stats I'm not sure your line will take much more than 3 meg, I'm surprised it even gets that much can with 48dB attenuation.
    I doubt that. My line has worse stats than his. Lower SNR and higher attenuation. Notice the max speed.

Output from my router:
    3072/384
    Down Up
    SNR (dB): 10.1 15.0
    Attn(dB): 50.0 25.0
    Pwr(dBm): 14.2 0.3
    Max(Kbps): 6112 1252
    Rate (Kbps): 3072 384

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Its on the long list, its a popular exchange afaik, I'll get dad to email them tomorow lol

Nick
    Yup, I see it's scheduled for the upgrade on the August 9th weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    would the 'shiat knower' kindly ping each of the following

www.boards.ie
    www.jolt.co.uk
    the scottish server

AND

post all the results back here together with your line stats including margins please

they are the normal comparative benchmarks around here for everyones sake .

is the 'shiat knowers' exchange recently enabled ??

also note that while interleave on = fastpath off

nevertheless interleave off NOT = fastpath on

I seem to recall there is an intermediate setting on the 6400 which is neither

youre a real ahole arent ye, well il post some screenshots here to make ye happy

linestatsmn5.jpg
    linestatsmn5.b64f6b5e6c.jpg

boardsiepingav9.jpg
    boardsiepingav9.3ab47a5f85.jpg

joltcoukpingvy8.jpg
    joltcoukpingvy8.b52867092a.jpg

i dont know what scottish server your talking about. maybe if you read my posts properly you would know that i play on xbox live and my scottish friend always seems to get the host, i clearly stated that i connect better to him than the rest of the lads that actually live in scotland.

just for the record, you are a d1ckhead

youre a real ahole arent ye, well il post some screenshots here to make ye happy

i dont know what scottish server your talking about. maybe if you read my posts properly you would know that i play on xbox live and my scottish friend always seems to get the host, i clearly stated that i connect better to him than the rest of the lads that actually live in scotland.

just for the record, you are a d1ckhead
    Ouch, dude, really. You know you're going to be one step closer to a permanent ban from here, every time you lash out like that? It's a bit childish for the both of you, isn't it? Even if he hasn't been all that courteous towards you, trying to beat him at his own game is only going to land you in it.

Seriously, for your own good, calm down. That's some good advice, I suggest you take it as so, as I'm not a moderator.

here bud he started being cheeky with me for no apparent reason, he obviously didnt fully read my posts either.

i hope my screenshots have satisfied his needs, still unsure what his vendetta against me is :confused:

edit: why is nobody pulling him up on his snide comments in his posts?

edit again: im not trying to beat anyone at any game, he was clearly being nasty for no reason, therefore i posted up my stats and what else he asked me for.

im not sure if he thought i was lying about my stats ect... why would i do that though? if he was in a bad mood when he came on today he shouldnt have taken it out on me, thats extremely childish in my honest opinion, i will not take crap off anyone whether it be on the internet or in real life.

here bud he started being cheeky with me for no apparent reason, he obviously didnt fully read my posts either.

i hope my screenshots have satisfied his needs, still unsure what his vendetta against me is :confused:

edit: why is nobody pulling him up on his snide comments in his posts?

edit again: im not trying to beat anyone at any game, he was clearly being nasty for no reason, therefore i posted up my stats and what else he asked me for.

im not sure if he thought i was lying about my stats ect... why would i do that though? if he was in a bad mood when he came on today he shouldnt have taken it out on me, thats extremely childish in my honest opinion, i will not take crap off anyone whether it be on the internet or in real life.
    I just went back a few pages. I have read the posts. Both of you seem to be to blame. He questioned you in a smug, but still a respectable manner, and you did respond with light aggression, which further escalated and spread out to him too.

If you were a moderator, independent of the situation, what would you do? It's no use you both getting in trouble. You could have told him off respectably and then reported him to the moderators. Wouldn't that have worked out better for you?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do I remember correctly when I say that you have been warned in this thread at least once before?

Lastly. I'm not here to give you a hard time. I'm just offering some advice. Take it or leave it.

i was happily giving nuxxx some info about the upgrade as we are both gamers and both on the same package, thats what we do on forums isnt it? we help eachother! then this guy comes on and starts being a you-know-what, end of story.

i dont report anyone to moderators, i would not be that petty. im going to leave this now and forget it ever happened as it is extremely childish and stupid. spongebob has what he wanted now.

i was happily giving nuxxx some info about the upgrade as we are both gamers and both on the same package, thats what we do on forums isnt it? we help eachother! then this guy comes on and starts being a you-know-what, end of story.

i dont report anyone to moderators, i would not be that petty. im going to leave this now and forget it ever happened as it is extremely childish and stupid. spongebob has what he wanted now.
    If you don't want to report it to the moderators, then maybe consider telling the person off with some respectably chosen words, to save you going down a few levels to behaving childishly also. It doesn't matter to the moderators who hit first. Chances are, they will see all of this, and they will add another warning to your account. Then I'm guessing that if you acquire a certain amount of warnings, then a more sever punishment will be sanctioned, such as a ban?

Well, you're right. It's over now.

Moving on...

I think I'm getting my upgrade this weekend to 7.6Mb, as I am on the Killerisk exchange (I think). I'll do some proper DOS pings and "tracerts" if the upgrade works out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

BloodSugarSex, infraction & banned for a week for personal abuse

If you don't like a post report it, don't take it into your own hands to abuse another poster

Also regarding the image editing, nobody likes a smart arse.

PM me or another BB mod in a week to be unbanned

Cabaal,

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

DECEiFER wrote: »
    If you don't want to report it to the moderators, then maybe consider telling the person off with some respectably chosen words, to save you going down a few levels to behaving childishly also. It doesn't matter to the moderators who hit first. Chances are, they will see all of this, and they will add another warning to your account. Then I'm guessing that if you acquire a certain amount of warnings, then a more sever punishment will be sanctioned, such as a ban?

Well, you're right. It's over now.

Moving on...

I think I'm getting my upgrade this weekend to 7.6Mb, as I am on the Killerisk exchange (I think). I'll do some proper DOS pings and "tracerts" if the upgrade works out.

Yeah, I'm on the killerisk exchange also i think - I'm on the business starter package 3mbit so I should hopefully be upgraded this weekend also, Fingers crossed cos i'll never forget the ordeal of getting broadband in the first place, About half the town was unable to get it for about 2 years...LOL

Here are my current stats:
    Speed - 3072/384 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation - 27/16 db
    SN Margin (dB) - 12.50 21.00

Fingers Crossed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

digiking wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm on the killerisk exchange also i think - I'm on the business starter package 3mbit so I should hopefully be upgraded this weekend also, Fingers crossed cos i'll never forget the ordeal of getting broadband in the first place, About half the town was unable to get it for about 2 years...LOL

Here are my current stats:
    Speed - 3072/384 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation - 27/16 db
    SN Margin (dB) - 12.50 21.00

Fingers Crossed

Just to warn you - your line attenuation looks fine but any further upgrades will put serious pressure on your SN margin with likely disconnects.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement