Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

dub45 wrote: »
    Just to warn you - your line attenuation looks fine but any further upgrades will put serious pressure on your SN margin with likely disconnects.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm
    True but I think this will become a huge problem for eircom because the router they have been supplying for the last 2 years has serious low snr problems. I used to use that model (2247) and would often suffer disconnects. My snr went from 7 to 25 when I changed back to the old 3347nwg! I'd say a lot of people will have to change routers after the upgrade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

rc28 wrote: »
    My snr went from 7 to 25 when I changed back to the old 3347nwg! I'd say a lot of people will have to change routers after the upgrade.

Out of interest RC

1. was it the snr as in db downstream or the snr margin that changed from 7 to 25 that time??

2. could you plug in both old and new routers and post the snr and the margin figures separately ...if convenient .

3. What is your distance from the exchange in line length, I am starting to formulate a theory about "2 miles" I am .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

iv got line attenuation of 9/8 db
    SnR margins of 29/26

But..

Im just told eircom i dont want to be upgraded to 7.6mb
    Im keeping my 3 mb connection

why you ask? Because for residental packages to be pushed onto buisness levels of interleaving and tripling my ping i can do without

thanks eircom! theres always a catch when your show your ugly head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Out of interest RC

1. was it the snr as in db downstream or the snr margin that changed from 7 to 25 that time??

2. could you plug in both old and new routers and post the snr and the margin figures separately ...if convenient .

3. What is your distance from the exchange in line length, I am starting to formulate a theory about "2 miles" I am .
    1. It was the SN margin downstream that jumped.
    2. It's the same- when I plug in the 2247 it goes down to 7/8 from 25
    3. I think we are about 3.5km from the exchange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Official Eircom docs with the info that Grizzly posted earlier in the thread.

• Advertisement

rc28 wrote: »
    1. It was the SN margin downstream that jumped.
    2. It's the same- when I plug in the 2247 it goes down to 7/8 from 25
    3. I think we are about 3.5km from the exchange

You are at 2 miles then. My theory is that a Netopia 2247 runs very hot from 2 miles out indicating a stressed component(s) somewhere . I have not tested this theory empirically with thermal probes mind :p

If nothing else it indicates that it could fail sooner than a close in Netopia . Heat is bad.

I take it both are well ventilated ( NOT STUFFED IN A TIGHT CORNER)

That margin change is , frankly , HUGE . 7/8 is the lowest margin that will give you a stable connection while 25 is very comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Where do you get these from ?? Eircom ??

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Where do you get these from ?? Eircom ??

I could tell you but i'd then have to kill you.:p

ah no they're on the eircom website in the latest news section. I downloaded them and uploaded them here because of the session cookies on the Eircom site. Links to it die fairly quickly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Am also curious where these came from, just for information purposes,.

[EDIT]
    Fair enough if their on the eircopm website thats fine :)

You are at 2 miles then. My theory is that a Netopia 2247 runs very hot from 2 miles out indicating a stressed component(s) somewhere . I have not tested this theory empirically with thermal probes mind :p

If nothing else it indicates that it could fail sooner than a close in Netopia . Heat is bad.

I take it both are well ventilated ( NOT STUFFED IN A TIGHT CORNER)

That margin change is , frankly , HUGE . 7/8 is the lowest margin that will give you a stable connection while 25 is very comfortable.

I had an identical situation to rc28. SNMargin of 6-7 on the 2247 that jumped to 25.5 on a new Dlink. The Dlink since died so I'm using the old BT ZyXEL 623R. SNMargain has now gone up to 32.:eek:

You're right about the 2247 getting hot. In it's early stages they used to lock up or die. Many had to be replaced.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Am also curious where these came from, just for information purposes,.

[EDIT]
    Fair enough if their on the eircopm website thats fine :)

Here's the link but it won't last long.:)
    http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/displayNews.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1522630746.1216726930@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciadeejiemmkfcefeceiedffndffj.0&site=Res&newsItemId=eircom%20broadband%20Speeds%20Upgrade%20Programme

was that at 2 miles or over KS ??

was that at 2 miles or over KS ??

No. 2350 metres to be precise. I had a look at the engineers cableing blueprint. :) Just shy of 1.5 miles. Attenuation dropped a bit aswell but only by about 4-5db. I didn't have a heat problem though. It's just a shyte modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Interesting ... I note from that page that ...
    Stage 2 - Automated Software Upgrades

The automated software upgrade for eircom retail and wholesale DSL customers is underway and will take place over a number of phases. Customers on the 2Mb product, whose lines pre-qualify will be upgraded to 3Mb and customers on the 3Mb product whose lines pre-qualify will be upgraded to 7.6Mb.

I wonder then if someone on the 3Mb product whose line doesn't "pre-qualify" will be informed of this and be automatically "downgraded" back to the 3Mb (formerly 2Mb) product?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭smiddyboy

Just got a reply back regarding my exchange ( Johnstown, Co Kilkenny )....:(
    Thank you for your email. Unfortunately Johnstown is one of the few
    locations where an upgrade date has not been finalised. I appreciate
    that this may be a cause of frustration to you as you are no doubt
    waiting for the faster speeds. Unfortunately the programme has taken
    longer than originally scheduled.

Please feel free to contact us for further updates in the next few
    weeks.

Oh well......don't brag too much when your upgrade happens please lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭B

wil my line be ok for the 7.6 upgrade?

Primary DNS Server
    ns5.ns.esat.net
    Secondary DNS Server
    ns4.ns.esat.net
    Speed
    3072/384 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    21/13 dB

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

B wrote: »
    wil my line be ok for the 7.6 upgrade?

Primary DNS Server
    ns5.ns.esat.net
    Secondary DNS Server
    ns4.ns.esat.net
    Speed
    3072/384 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    21/13 dB
    Striked out bit is no help. We need to know the SNR and Attenuation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

dont see tipperary listed at all, what exchange does tipp share? i thought we were on or own

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭B

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 14.50 13.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 22.00 13.00
    CRC Errors 0 2

this any good for the 7.6 upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I had an identical situation to rc28. SNMargin of 6-7 on the 2247 that jumped to 25.5 on a new Dlink. The Dlink since died so I'm using the old BT ZyXEL 623R. SNMargain has now gone up to 32.:eek:

You're right about the 2247 getting hot. In it's early stages they used to lock up or die. Many had to be replaced.

I've only ever had the same modem that eircom gave me last year. What other modem would people recommend if I can get the older eircom one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

grizzly wrote: »
    I've only ever had the same modem that eircom gave me last year. What other modem would people recommend if I can get the older eircom one?

I've just ordered a Thomson SpeedTouch 585 v7 from the UK. I'm no expert but it seems to come highly recommended for people who have low/unstable snrs or crappy lines. Its uses broadcom chips as opposed to the ar7. I've used routestats to monitor my snr on the netopia 2247 - its a steady 12 to 15db during the day but all over the place when it gets dark. When I get the SpeedTouch set up I'll do a comparison and post the results here.

Zug

Downstream Upstream
    CRC Errors 0 2

your attenuation is very good

Your noise margain isnt tho..... once it drops under 10 your gona start having problems. Try disconnecting everything in your house and plug your cable into the main house socket. then check your results. Your sr margin is likely to decrease if your connection increases, it could be dodgy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Downstream Upstream
    CRC Errors 0 2

i think the excepted margins are anywhere between 6 and 10 dB, going to 7.6Mb/s would more than likely drop you below 10dB

a relative margin of 14.50 dB isnt bad at all for a 3Mb line, especially here, id say you could be fine, but 8Mb would definitely be your max capacity i would say before you completely loose signal integrity

btw Digiweb have updated their offerings

http://www.digiweb.ie/business/dsl/

slade_x wrote: »
    i think the excepted margins are anywhere between 6 and 10 dB, going to 7.6Mb/s would more than likely drop you below 10dB

a relative margin of 14.50 dB isnt bad at all for a 3Mb line, especially here, id say you could be fine, but 8Mb would definitely be your max capacity i would say before you completely loose signal integrity

ROFL. The jump in price from 8 to 10 meg is like 50 euros
    The jump from 10 to 12 meg is like 76 euros

bloody well insane , 160 euros a month for 12 meg, when NTL do it for 40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

SN Margin (dB) 31.00 8.00

Line Attenuation (dB) 15.00 9.00

CRC Errors 0 0

3MB WoW still gonna be good?

nuxxx wrote: »
    ROFL. The jump in price from 8 to 10 meg is like 50 euros
    The jump from 10 to 12 meg is like 76 euros

bloody well insane , 160 euros a month for 12 meg, when NTL do it for 40

its for people in the arse end of nowhere who cant get ntl and digiweb metro, etc, i have the pro so i should be getting "up to 10Mbit", im on 4mbit already and maxing out at about 430kb/s which isnt bad for the arse end of nowhere

but what kind of bandwidth allowance do you get for €40 from ntl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

smiddyboy wrote: »
    Just got a reply back regarding my exchange ( Johnstown, Co Kilkenny )....:(

Oh well......don't brag too much when your upgrade happens please lads.

I got the same response for the Mountmellick exchange also :(

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately Mountmellick is one of the few locations where an upgrade date has not been finalised. I appreciate that this may be a cause of frustration to you as you are no doubt waiting for the faster speeds. Unfortunately the programme has taken longer than originally scheduled. The below link on our website provides an overview of the upgrade programme to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

slade_x wrote: »

Look at the paltry download limits as well in true Digiweb style :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Are these stats o.k.?

attentication 27dB
    Noise Margin 26dB

Will this allow me the full benefit f 7.6 upgrade???

Jarvis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭CRAIG07

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 21.50 21.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 10.00 8.00
    CRC Errors 0 2

is this any good?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement