Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Hi Jimmeh, how do you get the below stats from the DG834.

Thanks,
    Tweaky

jimmeh wrote: »
    I Had a dlink 604 router that couldnt manage to achieve anything over 8db snr, I changed to a netgeat dg834 and get anything from 12 to 24 snr depending on what the weathers like and what mode i force it to. I have also redone internal wiring with cat5e and XTF 85 socket microfilter. The netgear is also picking up adsl2 framing on my line but im unsure as to what this means.

adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
    Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 384 Kbps, Downstream rate = 3072 Kbps
    Link Power State: L0
    Mode: G.DMT
    Channel: Interleave
    Trellis: ON
    Line Status: No Defect
    Training Status: Showtime
    Down Up
    SNR (dB): 14.3 17.0
    Attn(dB): 47.0 26.0
    Pwr(dBm): 12.4 2.1
    Max(Kbps): 6432 1120
    Rate (Kbps): 3072 384

adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
    Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 384 Kbps, Downstream rate = 3072 Kbps
    Link Power State: L0
    Mode: T1.413
    Channel: Interleave
    Trellis: ON
    Line Status: No Defect
    Training Status: Showtime
    Down Up
    SNR (dB): 21.8 26.0
    Attn(dB): 47.0 26.0
    Pwr(dBm): 19.6 11.8
    Max(Kbps): 6912 1052
    Rate (Kbps): 3072 384

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Jeez Gordonnet, they might even go down a tad in your case . 7.5db or margin is the limit. Have you tried any of my tips from earlier this evening ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

rc28 wrote: »
    Put your stats(downstream attenuation and SN only) into the following and you will find out- SN margin appears to be most important in dictating what your line is capable of;
    http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx

That site does not load for me

My STATS

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128 SN Margin (dB) 16.50 21.00 Line Attenuation (dB) 51.50 31.50 CRC Errors 0 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Psygnosis wrote: »
    Same for me but it was definitely working a few mins ago.

EDIT: Loading now- it says your line is capable of max 2160kbps(just over 2mb). It's your low SN margin that is causing problems- have you tried the steps listed by SpongeBob on thje previous page?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

For the people that won't be able to get speeds above 3MB and have no other choice but to be with Eircom for BB will the price be reduced ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

http://dmt.mhilfe.de/
    and then enter the command line "adsl info --stats"

alternativly you can enable debug on the router and telnet in with the same command line.

A downgrade to 2mbits ( becoming 3mbits) costs €15 wholesale or free if you hassle them .

Hi,
    Just checked the spongebob post and tried step 4 up to 18.5 now. Do you think a replacement modem would work.

Hi,
    Just checked the spongebob post and tried step 4 up to 18.5 now. Do you think a replacement modem would work.

So removing the filter gave you another 2 or 2.5db of margin, you are nearing 2mbits worth of stats so you are :p . Run speedtest and tell us what that upload speed is again ?? It looked rather weird , should be around 128k - 10% encapsulation overhead ona 1 mbit line which looks like a misconfiguration in the exchange .

Can you please post full stats after each step with one line descriptor of the step.

You should certainly source yourself a better filter if you need the phone service otherwise leave the filter out .

Hi,

What router do you have- is it the netopia silver 2247 one eircom gave you? If so then you should probably look into getting a new one or maybe borrow a friends to see if it would make any difference with a different one.

• Advertisement

Ok that link is in my sig it is too my digiweb mobile which I am ditching as the ping is woefull and connection v unstable.
    anyway here is the link to current speed

299500737.png

Also the netopia is the silver Model 2247-02

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Wonder are people going to get adsl2+ modems for free when its rolled out

are you c.4 miles from the exchange like those stats seem to indicate Psygnosis ?

slade_x wrote: »
    I think the existing 2247 is already adsl2+ capable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

slade_x wrote: »
    Even Eircom's 3 series Netopia routers can handle ADSL2+. In-fact, unless your router goes back beyond 2005/2006, I'd say you'll be fine for ADSL2+ compatibility.

That said, there may be a setting to enable ADSL2+ mode inside your router's firmware.

Im around 2.5 KM's from the exchange I live in Goldenridge new estate and the exchange is in Rush

Im around 2.5 KM's from the exchange I live in Goldenridge new estate and the exchange is in Rush
    The speedtest in your signature. What Digiweb service are you subscribed to? You have a low download data rate, but an exceptional upload one.

Have you tried disconnecting internal wiring or maybe only sky boxes and phones plugged into them ??

If so then you have tried everythig and you need a new modem like that D-Link model mentioned in my post and by others afterwards.

Have you a line surge protector by any chance or a wired alarm becuase they can clip the margin off like that filter ??

Ideally you should get most of 7.6mbits if the line is wired right .

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Have you tried disconnecting internal wiring or maybe only sky boxes and phones plugged into them ??

If so then you have tried everythig and you need a new modem like that D-Link model mentioned in my post and by others afterwards.

Have you a line surge protector by any chance or a wired alarm becuase they can clip the margin off like that filter ??

Ideally you should get most of 7.6mbits if the line is wired right .

No sky box or alarm link. The plug isnt on a surge protector or anything of the sort.

For people's info I have Digiweb mobile the speed and ping is all over the plavce not stable at all. It moves from 256kb to 2mb max its normally 500kb up though but I have no need really for a high upload speed.

Whats the best place to get a cheap modem to test or if someone could lend me one it would be great.

I am going to sign up to 2mb line shortly as the 1mb is free for 3 months. What speed would I get on the new 3mb route.

Thanks guys for all the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

My stats are as follows and according to Kitz's website i will only get 5186Kbps

noise margin downstream: 15 db
    attenuation downstream: 14 db

What causes low SNR Margin?

• Advertisement

No sky box or alarm link. The plug isnt on a surge protector or anything of the sort.

For people's info I have Digiweb mobile the speed and ping is all over the plavce not stable at all. It moves from 256kb to 2mb max its normally 500kb up though but I have no need really for a high upload speed.

Whats the best place to get a cheap modem to test or if someone could lend me one it would be great.

I am going to sign up to 2mb line shortly as the 1mb is free for 3 months. What speed would I get on the new 3mb route.

Thanks guys for all the help
    Cheap router/modems are hard to come by in a store. The best place to get one is to sign up for DSL with an ISP that gives them out for free. UTV are the freebie ISP, so go with them if you want the cheapest DSL. Eircom also give out free routers, but their monthly subscription fee is the highest. BT would be another one to check out.

I'm with both BT and UTV, in two houses, of course. See my signature for a Speed Test I done just now. As always, I get the correct speed that is generic for a 3Mb service. I should be going to 7.6Mb this weekend, though.

admol wrote: »
    My stats are as follows and according to Kitz's website i will only get 5186Kbps

noise margin downstream: 15 db
    attenuation downstream: 14 db

What causes low SNR Margin?
    External factors can be line quality, and distance from the telephone exchange that you're connected to, and line faults in the exchange.

Internal factors can be where you have your router/modem wired to (the main socket or some extension cable), if you use Sky and have a Sky Box connected to the phone line, cordless phones operating on a certain frequency, correct connection of Microfilters, and if you use a Monitored Alarm. Of course, internal wire quality is also a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

My STATS

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128 SN Margin (dB) 16.50 21.00 Line Attenuation (dB) 51.50 31.50 CRC Errors 0 1

Here's a speed calculator similar the website in the link. It's an excel spreadsheet.
    Download it and put your attenuation reading in the orange box on the first sheet. Hit return.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Here's a speed calculator similar the website in the link. It's an excel spreadsheet.
    Download it and put your attenuation reading in the orange box on the first sheet. Hit return.
    SN margin is important to take into account too, no?

kaizersoze wrote: »
    According to that, I'm 290 Meters from my exchange. I'd have thought a little closer, but it's about right. But I did say my Attenuation was 4dB. More often it's 2dB or 3dB. I'm definitely going to get 7.6Mb without any problems, assuming the exchange doesn't pack up and move to another location! :p :cool:

I have BT 3MB using a Voyager 2110 router, will I be able to run the upgraded speeds ?

Here's what is connected to my line:
    1 x Dect Phone
    1 x Sky Box
    1 x Sky+ Box

Here are my stats, before and after everthing is disconnected:

bbtb2.jpg
    By hellboy99 at 2008-07-22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

SN margin is important to take into account too, no?

Not really necessary but it may fine tune the result. None of the calculators are 100% accurate, just an estimate.
    On a line with no BB, attenuation is the only thing a telco can measure from the exchange to give an indication of line length and capability. The SNMargin is calculated by the modem.
    I'm not even sure if Eircom knows what the SN Margin is on any ones line and their tests are based on attenuation.

Afaik that is correct but Sponge or one of the telco heads here could be along shortly to tell me I'm talking shyte.:p

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I have BT 3MB using a Voyager 2110 router, will I be able to run the upgraded speeds ?
    How did you get BT to give you the 3mb package with such line attenuation? My line has attenuation of 50 but very decent SN margin (25) and BT told us they could only offer us 1mb:confused:

hellboy99 wrote: »

Here's what is connected to my line:
    1 x Dect Phone
    1 x Sky Box
    1 x Sky+ Box

Here are my stats, before and after everthing is disconnected:

bbtb2.jpg
    By hellboy99 at 2008-07-22
    No effect, really. Well, that renders that theory of interference useless, at least in your case.

• Advertisement

How did you get BT to give you the 3mb package with such line attenuation? My line has attenuation of 50 but very decent SN margin (25) and BT told us they could only offer us 1mb:confused:
    That's what I got, was on 2MB for a while then went up to 3MB, my download speeds are fine.

So is 3MB the most I'll be able to run ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement