Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

hellboy99 wrote: »
    That's what I got, was on 2MB for a while then went up to 3MB, my download speeds are fine.

So is 3MB the most I'll be able to run ?

When you were on the phone to them did they not even try to say something about your line possibly not being capable? Maybe if we call them again they will say different- BT bundles are very good value but their apparent billing issues is the only thing putting me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

rc28 wrote: »
    When you were on the phone to them did they not even try to say something about your line possibly not being capable? Maybe if we call them again they will say different- BT bundles are very good value but their apparent billing issues is the only thing putting me off.
    I had issues with 3MB a few years back that's why I was downgraded to 2MB. When I rang about going back up to 3MB a few months back I asked would my line be able to run 3MB and they said yes.
    As for their billing, I've never had issues with mine (touch wood).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Their CS/TS agents aren't the best. You get some sound out ones, but you also get some right dumbasses who probably don't even know what an IP is, never mind the fact that they just don't care enough to help you. Just keep on top of your bills, and make sure you go over them and make sure they do take the money from you (as sometimes they don't and then you build up big lump sum charges in arrears). They've got a good network, with decent ping times to their DNS's and Gateways. I'd go with them myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hellboy , you are going nowhere above 3mbits :)

Margin is not as important as attenuation, thats the basic scoring system.

Margin does tell you if its worth upgrading and 3 up to 7.6 is 4.6 mbit jump requiring lots of margin people! 30Db now on a 3mbit line and min 8Db after the upgrade.

Thems the laws of physics .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    And at the time when I was upgrading from 2 - 3MB I asked BT would I be able to run 8MB the guy said yes (thats why I upgraded).

• Advertisement

Margin is not as important as attenuation, thats the basic scoring system.

Margin does tell you if its worth upgrading and 3 up to 7.6 is 4.6 mbit jump requiring lots of margin people! 30Db now on a 3mbit line and min 8Db after the upgrade.

Thems the laws of physics .
    Why does the estimated max speed seem to be most affected by SN margin rather than attenuation on the following;
    http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx
    For example, when I put in an SN of 8 and attenuation of 8 it says i can get 2mb. When I change the attanuation to 46 that doesn't change. However, when I change the SN to 12 it goes up to 2.6mb. When I put SN as 25 it jumps to almost 8mb.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

DECEiFER wrote: »
    That said, there may be a setting to enable ADSL2+ mode inside your router's firmware.

I would extrememly doubt that. its a zyxel 650H-E1 which is 3 to 4 years old now, i might buy a netgear rangemax when im upgraded as i currently have the zyxel router attached to a linksys WAP54G access point, be nice to have the 2 in 1

it would be even better if i could set up the range max upstairs where my system is and then use the linksys AP as a repeater but apparently linkys' AP's only function as repeaters with other linksys products :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Why does the estimated max speed seem to be most affected by SN margin rather than attenuation on the following;
    http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx
    For example, when I put in an SN of 8 and attenuation of 8 it says i can get 2mb. When I change the attanuation to 46 that doesn't change. However, when I change the SN to 12 it goes up to 2.6mb. When I put SN as 25 it jumps to almost 8mb.

Its hard to seperate the meaning of the two by just saying SNR and attenuation as they seem mutually exclusive, line attenuation is referring to the loss of signal/power over a long distance from the exhange, just like with radio signals getting weaker the further away they are from the transmitter. It takes more power for a signal to go a longer distance much like a car guzzling more fuel to go a longer distance. The only thing is if you put too much power down a line you risk interferring with the signal which ive explained below, this is why Adsl has a distance limit, ADSL2+ has a longer range because of better innovations and transmission rates

The SNR is the Signal power ratio to background noise. the background noise is generated as a side effect by the power actually flowing down the line. its impossible to get 0% SNR on the exchange. So the more power you transmit down the line the more noise will be generated hence when you start using higher frequencies/ more bandwidth etc, your SNR margin decreases proportionately. (so stronger signal; proportionately more noise) sometimes crosstalk is also a problem too where a signal from an adjacent channel is interfering with another but its less apparent with twisted pairs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Put in synch 3072 atten 53db and margin 22, virtually impossible

Put in synch 3072 atten 63db and margin 22 , impossible

Put in synch 3072 atten 73db and margin 22, come ON

at least for the last one it says

"Your ADSL2+ speeds are likely to be in the range 380Kbps to 900Kbps."

But HOW do you "Synch" at 3072 when its impossible with those stats ???

That site claims my line will do up to 8128kb/s while my modem claims 10968kb/s. Bit of a difference so no idea what one to believe. My stats are:

Sync speed: 1024/128
    SNR Margin: 29/26
    Attenuation: 27/15

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    That site claims my line will do up to 8128kb/s while my modem claims 10968kb/s. Bit of a difference so no idea what one to believe. My stats are:

Sync speed: 1024/128
    SNR Margin: 29/26
    Attenuation: 27/15
    Your modem is lying. ADSL maxes out at 8Mb. There is no ADSL service in the world that is higher than 8Mb, to my knowledge, as it's quite impossible. To get faster ADSL, we turn away from regular bitstream and hit up ADSL2+, etc.

Maybe the modem is going on stats alone while the website is capping the value using the realistic upper limit? Though the Wikipedia article for the ITU G.992.1 claims 12 megabit max downstream.

Put in synch 3072 atten 53db and margin 22, virtually impossible

Put in synch 3072 atten 63db and margin 22 , impossible

Put in synch 3072 atten 73db and margin 22, come ON

at least for the last one it says

"Your ADSL2+ speeds are likely to be in the range 380Kbps to 900Kbps."

But HOW do you "Synch" at 3072 when its impossible with those stats ???
    I agree that is stupid, should we only be looking at the adsl2+ result for accuracy?
    I was merely pointing out that SN seems to affect the results more than attenuation with that particular calculator.
    Anyway, why does it always show adsl2+ speeds to be lower than adsl1 speeds the higher the attenuation, I thought the benefit of adsl2+ was that it could reach longer distances from the exchange?

I agree that is stupid but obviously if you type in an unrealistic sync speed with such terrible stats it will be inaccurate.
    I was merely pointing out that SN seems to affect the results more than attenuation with that particular calculator.
    Anyway, why does it always show adsl2+ speeds to be lower than adsl1 speeds the higher the attenuation, I thought the benefit of adsl2+ was that it could reach longer distances from the exchange?
    ADSL2+ doesn't require you line to have a strong a signal as ADSL would to get good speeds, but it's still rate adaptive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

still waiting for people on the 7.6 meg package to post some ping times :)

nuxxx wrote: »
    still waiting for people on the 7.6 meg package to post some ping times :)
    I'll do all that and more next week once I'm back in Tralee from Shannon, as I'm getting upgraded this weekend, I think. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I'll do all that and more next week once I'm back in Tralee from Shannon, as I'm getting upgraded this weekend, I think. :confused:

would be seriously appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I am on the Newmarket-On-Fergus exchange which has supposedly been upgraded but my Netopia modem is still only syncing at 2MB. I am a good distance from the exchange and my SNR is only 8. Does this mean my line isn't good enough for 3MB?

Would it be worth buying a Netgear DG834 or DH834G router to see if I can get 3MB?

Also where is the best place to acquire a Netgear router? Will there be problems with it having UK phone connections if I buy it from Dabs or Komplett?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

currently on 3meg package, my line attenuation is 37db and my sn margin is 21db, would this be anywhere near close enough for 7.6meg?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Gonzo wrote: »
    currently on 3meg package, my line attenuation is 37db and my sn margin is 21db, would this be anywhere near close enough for 7.6meg?

SNR margin is pretty ok, I'd say perhaps 5-6MB?

• Advertisement

ElNino wrote: »
    I am on the Newmarket-On-Fergus exchange which has supposedly been upgraded but my Netopia modem is still only syncing at 2MB. I am a good distance from the exchange and my SNR is only 8. Does this mean my line isn't good enough for 3MB?

Would it be worth buying a Netgear DG834 or DH834G router to see if I can get 3MB?

Also where is the best place to acquire a Netgear router? Will there be problems with it having UK phone connections if I buy it from Dabs or Komplett?
    Buy it from Komplett.ie, or go into Limerick, out to the Parkway Retail Park, and hit up PC World. Plenty of Netgear in there. Although, Netgear routers blow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Cabaal wrote: »
    SNR margin is pretty ok, I'd say perhaps 5-6MB?

Cheers! hopefully i'll get around the 6meg mark, altho i have to wait till August 21st to find out coz i'll be on holidays:)

Although, Netgear routers blow.

What router would you recommend then? Netgear routers are supposed to be good for people with low SNR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The best SN Margin improvement I've seen is on a DLink.
    Specifically this one.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=337363

Edit: For some strange reason it can be bought for €15 cheaper and a wireless adapter included.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338140

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately Castlebar is one of the few
    locations where an upgrade date has not been finalised. I appreciate
    that this may be a cause of frustration to you as you are no doubt
    waiting for the faster speeds. Unfortunately the programme has taken
    longer than originally scheduled.

An overview of the upgrade programme to date is available on our website
    at www.eircom.ie in our latest news section.

damn!

kaizersoze wrote: »
    The best SN Margin improvement I've seen is on a DLink.
    Specifically this one.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=337363

Edit: For some strange reason it can be bought for €15 cheaper and a wireless adapter included.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338140

Thanks Kaizer. That bundle is €12 cheaper again on Dabs
    http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4SR6&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=D+Link+DSL+2740B&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0#specifications
    I am going to order it and I will let you know what difference it makes in due course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

just to help you I use the netgear DG834PN and it has worked like a dream for the last 2 years or more. Its cheaper than the d link. I dont know about sn ratios. Have a look here

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3VZ5&CategorySelectedId=11177&NavigationKey=11177,4294959958,50542

gb--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

Jeez Gordonnet, they might even go down a tad in your case . 7.5db or margin is the limit. Have you tried any of my tips from earlier this evening ??

did the tips outlined my stats are now:

SN Margin (dB) 12.50 19.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 49.00 29.00

Speed
    2048/256 (kbps)

i rewired the phone connection with one full length of ethernet cable instaed of the phone cable and the SN Margin increased by 5db, are these stats good enough to get a stable 3M connection after eircom upgrade ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭CRAIG07

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 21.50 21.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 10.00 8.00
    CRC Errors 0 2

is this any good to get the 3m ?

thanks, craig

• Advertisement

CRAIG07 wrote: »
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 21.50 21.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 10.00 8.00
    CRC Errors 0 2

is this any good to get the 3m ?

thanks, craig
    Yes, certainly- that is excellent attenuation and good SN margin. You must be close to the exchange which will come in handy when adsl2+ takes off for residential customers (although, knowing Eircom, god knows when that will happen!).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement