Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

gordonnet wrote: »
    did the tips outlined my stats are now:

SN Margin (dB) 12.50 19.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 49.00 29.00

Speed
    2048/256 (kbps)

i rewired the phone connection with one full length of ethernet cable instaed of the phone cable and the SN Margin increased by 5db, are these stats good enough to get a stable 3M connection after eircom upgrade ?
    What router do you have- the silver netopia 2247? Maybe you could improve the SN further by changing router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭CRAIG07

Im on the athlunkard exchange in limerick my upgrade is due to happen the 8th of august :D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

did the tips outlined my stats are now:

SN Margin (dB) 12.50 19.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 49.00 29.00

Speed
    2048/256 (kbps)

i rewired the phone connection with one full length of ethernet cable instaed of the phone cable and the SN Margin increased by 5db

You needed 5db extra margin for the extra 1mbit and you got 5db extra margin . Good one.

After the upgrade please post your before and after stats to remind us please :D

Naturally I expect the margin to drop but not by too much to compromise stability .

Also note your crc errors now and after the upgrade for reference. If the jobbies you just did do not work on their own you may have to change to a better router like RC28 and others have explained in the past two days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Does anyone know when the Kilkenny exhange is being upgraded?
    It is on neither the July or August planned upgrades?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Ok according to the DMT program I have
    Downstream Attenuation of 25.5dB
    Downstream SNRM of 24.6dB

I'm currently getting a steady 3Mb download.

How should I fair?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If its not on the list then there is no date. Get UPC instead !

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    If its not on the list then there is no date. Get UPC instead !

That's the thing... It's on the original list for what exchanges are getting upgraded but it's not on the two lists?

Possibility of it being a typo/mistake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Kingnothing: Carlow is on Phase 3 which is September apparently. It's quite possible Kilkenny will be aswell.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

That's the thing... It's on the original list for what exchanges are getting upgraded but it's not on the two lists?

Possibility of it being a typo/mistake?

Hopefully Kilkelly is a typo and its supposed to be Kilkenny, I would be so pissed if West Mayo was upgraded before Kilkenny :D

When I do a tracert etc my internet appears to come from Waterford, is that my exchange? or are there smaller exchanges between waterford and Kilkenny City?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

rc28 wrote: »
    What router do you have- the silver netopia 2247? Maybe you could improve the SN further by changing router.

I have the 3347NWG one that got from eircom when i signed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

ElNino wrote: »
    What router would you recommend then? Netgear routers are supposed to be good for people with low SNR.
    And mid priced Linksys from Komplett should be a good buy.

Tip. Before you commit to buying any router, do a Google for a review or two. Search "'Router Make' 'Router Model Number' Review". For example, "Linksys WAG354G Review". Be sure to read pro reviews and user comments/experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I have the 3347NWG one that got from eircom when i signed up.

That one isn't bad for SN (I use this model and have an SN of 25) so I don't think there's muh more you can do to tbh.
    Type your phone number into the following to find out what is the highest product on offer to you;
    https://orders.irishbroadband.ie/order_online/order1a.htm?ci=1608310
    The above used to only offer me 2mb but now says my line can get 4mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

That site tells me I can get 4mb but my SN is around 18 and annueation is 51

conzymaher wrote: »
    Hopefully Kilkelly is a typo and its supposed to be Kilkenny, I would be so pissed if West Mayo was upgraded before Kilkenny :D

When I do a tracert etc my internet appears to come from Waterford, is that my exchange? or are there smaller exchanges between waterford and Kilkenny City?

Thanks

Kilkenny City have their own exchange but it appears that all our bigger towns are getting upgraded first. :confused:
    Must be a typo...

Kilkenny City have their own exchange but it appears that all our bigger towns are getting upgraded first. :confused:
    Must be a typo...
    I doubt it's a typo. It's more likely to be a technical issue within the exchange causing the delays. Email press_office@eircom.ie and ask them about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Shadow-Lord

Will I be sent out an ADSL2+ Modem to work with the 10Mb connection.

What router/modem do you use right now? Is it an Eircom Netopia 3347NWG, or similar? I'm pretty sure that is ADSL2+ compatible. If not, call 1901 and find out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Sponge Bob wrote: »

READ THIS EXPLANATION OF WHAT STATS TELL YOU !! especially if on a 3mbit line .

Anyone with margin of 25db+ and stable 3mbit should get the 7.6 upgrade or near enough.

You lose about 4db-5db per megabit of upgrade

25db margin now should be 5db at worst after the upgrade , tight that .
    8db is the recommended floor and after that you may have problems.

In other words 3mbits to 7.6mbits will require that you have 18-24Db of margin to spare thereby leaving you with no less than 8Db after the upgrade so thats either 18+8 = 26Db or 24+8=32Db ....between 26db and 32Db NOW.

If you have 20db margin , or less, today on a 3mbit line you will NOT get 7.6Mbit stable on that line with THAT modem unless you do something .

My attenuation is 7db
    My Sn Margin is 21db
    My line is the 3mbit line

I was quiet happy with the stats and was sure I would be able to get the full 7.6mb being only 500m from the exchange. However after reading the post by Sponge Bob I see that I will be very marginal and will have an extremely low SN margin after the upgrade.
    I have removed filters and plugged straight into the eircom box and still get the 21db . I'm not technical enough to rewire the box.

I currently have the Netgear DG834G V2 and did have stats of Attenuation 10db and SN Margin of 29db until I upgraded to the latest firmware and the stats dropped to the above.

My questions are
    Do i have any hope of having a stable 7.6mb connection ?
    Any idea why the stats dropped due to the firmware upgrade on the modem ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

12 meg datasheet. The same goes for 10 meg basically.
    Page 4 has modem details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 suntreader

Does anyone know what level of service interruption if any will occur during the upgrades over the weekend?

Will routers need to be reset etc. Will there be any down time?

• Advertisement

suntreader wrote: »
    Does anyone know what level of service interruption if any will occur during the upgrades over the weekend?

+1

Good question.

I'd image, though, that there will be at least one outage, where your router will probably lose both Internet connectivity and DSL sync. If so, then the router will re-sync when it comes back up, hopefully with the new speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

suntreader wrote: »

For the automatic software there should be no downtime. Your modem should also retrain to the new speed itself without intervention but it varies from modem to modem.

If you're moving to ADSL2+ they say there will be up to 2 hours downtime but it's actually less than that. As 2+ will be business only you should be notified in advance of when it's going to happen and any downtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Just got this via email...

"We had communicated to you in May in our customer updates brochure that our broadband speeds were increasing in June 2008.

Unfortunately, our wholesale supplier has informed us of a delay in their upgrade programme resulting in the speed upgrades now taking place on a phased basis. This upgrade programme has already commenced with thousands of customers already enjoying their new speeds – we expect the majority of customer upgrades to be completed by September 2008.

Please accept our apologies for this delay which is out of our direct control."

Was I a bit late in getting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Got the same. Have now confirmed with them that the Rathmines exchange should be upgraded on the weekend of August 9th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 suntreader

thanks for the info kaizersoze. Hopefully all will go smoothly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

kleefarr wrote: »
    Just got this via email...

"We had communicated to you in May in our customer updates brochure that our broadband speeds were increasing in June 2008.

Unfortunately, our wholesale supplier has informed us of a delay in their upgrade programme resulting in the speed upgrades now taking place on a phased basis. This upgrade programme has already commenced with thousands of customers already enjoying their new speeds – we expect the majority of customer upgrades to be completed by September 2008.

Please accept our apologies for this delay which is out of our direct control."

Was I a bit late in getting it?

Just got this today also. Followed the link in it and it tells me my line will be upgraded this saturday....hmmm. Rang their customer care and I hadn't a clue what I was asking them about. They are investigating the email and will get back to me. I am on the douglas exchange in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Does anyone know how long it takes for Eircom to apply upgrades to brodband accounts?

I currently have the 2MB package and would like to upgrade to the 3MB package so that the speed increases mean I'll get the 7.6MB upgrade which sounds awesome, especially when my line attenuation is 1/1dB

I ask because a friend of mine said that theres a chance that the upgrade won't go through until after the speed increases are rolled out on my exchange (Castlebellingham) which is due on the 8th August, and that Eircom could change their pricing structure after it has been rolled out which means that choosing to upgrade then may cost more.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

took them 9 months to change my connection from 1 mb to 2 mb.

gl ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I currently have the 2MB package and would like to upgrade to the 3MB package so that the speed increases mean I'll get the 7.6MB upgrade which sounds awesome, especially when my line attenuation is 1/1dB
    :eek: Do you live actually inside the telephone exchange, or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Alun wrote: »
    :eek: Do you live actually inside the telephone exchange, or what?

lol, I live 100 feet from the exchange :D Im definitely the closest user in proximity to it, which is a god-send tbh
    took them 9 months to change my connection from 1 mb to 2 mb.

9 months?!? wtf! :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement