Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

http://www.btireland.ie/cgi-bin/upgrade_time

Click above to check when you line is gona be upgraded...

just got this morning 24th July 2008
    I'm upgraded on 9th Aug! YIPPEEE!!!
    Wonder will they increase limits from 30gig to ???. 30 gig just ant enough...
    cut here

We had communicated to you in May in our customer updates brochure that our broadband speeds were increasing in June 2008.

Unfortunately, our wholesale supplier has informed us of a delay in their upgrade programme resulting in the speed upgrades now taking place on a phased basis. This upgrade programme has already commenced with thousands of customers already enjoying their new speeds – we expect the majority of customer upgrades to be completed by September 2008.

Please accept our apologies for this delay which is out of our direct control.

Kindest Regards,

The BT Team

cut here!

Keep ya all posted...

matt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

mattman wrote: »

lol BT, way to take all the pressure off the eircom press officer :P

Weekend the 9th of August for me, i've 24 down attenuation 32 SNR (on 3 meg) so i should be grand for the full 7.6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Excellent stuff. Good info. Maybe a moderator could make a relevantly titled sticky topic with that link in it, on the Broadband board?

Otherwise, that link will only get lost in this mega thread within hours as the posts keep flying in.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jiggs

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 20.24 22.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 30.32 18.00
    CRC Errors 53 0

What does this mean for me? Looks kinda bad. I cant get 7.6? How does one improve those stats? I'm using a Netopia 3347W that eircom gave us years ago. I also have a 2247 that I got about a year ago when I got eircom broadband in a second house I was staying in for 6 months. However the wireless doesn't work on that any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Uh..........post september for me :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

letterkenny biggest exchange in donegal due date = post september, what a f*cking joke.

Jiggs wrote: »
    CRC Errors 53 0

What does this mean for me? Looks kinda bad. I cant get 7.6? How does one improve those stats? I'm using a Netopia 3347W that eircom gave us years ago. I also have a 2247 that I got about a year ago when I got eircom broadband in a second house I was staying in for 6 months. However the wireless doesn't work on that any more.
    I've seen worse. I had similar stats in my last house.

To find out what you're line is capable of, bung your stats into:
    http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

lol, I live 100 feet from the exchange :D Im definitely the closest user in proximity to it, which is a god-send tbh

9 months?!? wtf! :o

Yep, continuous cycle of lies and pure damn ignorance from there engineers.
    One day a engineer called out and he wasnt able to turn on my PC, or even enter my network password. "Wheres the enter key" "where the backspace key"

Everytime they told me it had to be changed at the technical department and for me to ring them. Everytime i rang them they sent out a engineer and the circle continued. After finally loose my boil i threatened with legal action because 'wait for it' they had been charging me for the 2mb all along from my phone order.

Eircom are a miserable shower of untrained engineers, script monkeys in the technical department and up at the top is the president smoking his fat cigar.

Btw nice attenuation, mines 7/6 at home but 1/1 is astonishing :)

DECEiFER wrote: »
    I've seen worse. I had similar stats in my last house.

To find out what you're line is capable of, bung your stats into:
    http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx

Thanks, it says on ADSL2+ i can get 16498Kbps. On normal ADSL 5353Kbps.
    The 7.6mb is ADSL2+? Ill be upgraded to 3mb ADSL or ADSL2+ on 9th August?
    Sorry, Im sure those are not new questions, and rather obvious to most of you, but the thread is huge, and ive not managed to read it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DirksDiggler

'Your line will be upgraded on the weekend of the 26th July'

Sweet :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.btireland.ie/cgi-bin/upgrade_time is a handy little link alright, no change of info on the UTV website

Although just testing my number against it, it was activated less then 30 days ago and passes on eircom site etc but BT upgrade checker says invalid number, any other telephone number in the area advised 26th July though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Monasterevin and Newbridge will be upgraded on 9th August

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.btireland.ie/cgi-bin/upgrade_time is a handy little link alright, no change of info on the UTV website

Although just testing my number against it, it was activated less then 30 days ago and passes on eircom site etc but BT upgrade checker says invalid number, any other telephone number in the area advised 26th July though :)

Thanks, it says on ADSL2+ i can get 16498Kbps. On normal ADSL 5353Kbps.
    The 7.6mb is ADSL2+? Ill be upgraded to 3mb ADSL or ADSL2+ on 9th August?
    Sorry, Im sure those are not new questions, and rather obvious to most of you, but the thread is huge, and ive not managed to read it all.
    ADSL for us home users. Business users will be getting ADSL2+ on the 10Mb and 12Mb packages only.

CRC Errors 53 0

Im not sure about Eircom but BT, its very important to upgrade your "firmware" (the in-sides of your modem). See this link..im sure u will see simular on eircom's site..

I search for "firmware" on but support site. as....

http://btireland.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/btireland.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=3RS2hz9j&p_lva=&p_li=&p_page=1&p_cv=1.224&p_pv=&p_prods=&p_cats=224&p_hidden_prods=&cat_lvl1=224&cat_lvl2=0&p_search_text=firmware&p_new_search=1

Its easy enough...here ya go found eircom firmware upgrade page..

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=131&E=0000000000128101372&K=4973&SXI=6&case=7588&source=search&query=firmware&DCSext.clickedFrom=searchResults&branch=4

You better upgrade..cause your modem is ages old..just take your time and follow instructions! ps: what are u doin with eircom?? they are more expensive by far than BT! my bill is 56 a month..3 meg(7.6 on 9th aug!)..includes all local calls! 33% off mobile! and line rental is included!
    ps: i dont work for BT!! Only problem I have with them is the 30 gig limit.

I patched call of duty 4 multi-player..it was a 5 gig update! on one game alone! these days 30 gig is nottin...

matt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Dundalk users, your line will be upgraded post September.

hellboy u seem to work for eircom or such?
    Can you explain about the levels on interleaving , fastpath etc that are going to be used, thanks nuxx.

hi..I posted the link from BT 3 meg to 7.6...there an hour ago..

It would seem, I get the upgrade well before some large citys!!

And yes ADSL 1, will work fine up to 7. meg... test your line..

matt.

Im not sure about Eircom but BT, its very important to upgrade your "firmware" (the in-sides of your modem). See this link..im sure u will see simular on eircom's site..

I search for "firmware" on but support site. as....

http://btireland.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/btireland.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=3RS2hz9j&p_lva=&p_li=&p_page=1&p_cv=1.224&p_pv=&p_prods=&p_cats=224&p_hidden_prods=&cat_lvl1=224&cat_lvl2=0&p_search_text=firmware&p_new_search=1

Its easy enough...here ya go found eircom firmware upgrade page..

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=131&E=0000000000128101372&K=4973&SXI=6&case=7588&source=search&query=firmware&DCSext.clickedFrom=searchResults&branch=4

You better upgrade..cause your modem is ages old..just take your time and follow instructions! ps: what are u doin with eircom?? they are more expensive by far than BT! my bill is 56 a month..3 meg(7.6 on 9th aug!)..includes all local calls! 33% off mobile! and line rental is included!
    ps: i dont work for BT!! Only problem I have with them is the 30 gig limit.

I patched call of duty 4 multi-player..it was a 5 gig update! on one game alone! these days 30 gig is nottin...

matt.
    I have been informed by more than one BT TS agent that they don't have any automated alarm system for when someone breaks the limit. If they catch you, it's all done by hand. To date, BT have never charged anyone for overuse. I went to 65GB back in February this year, and they banned my username and password. I rang them up and within 10 minutes they released the block and just asked me to "be careful not to take the piss", which I would assume is like some mega P2P 100GB a month downloading sort of behavior.

Eircom are the same. They don't monitor the user's usage.

Now, UTV, different story. They have alarms and will action the policy of either suspending your account for the remainder of the month or charging you for overuse (depending on which option you chose at signup).

Im not sure about Eircom but BT, its very important to upgrade your "firmware" (the in-sides of your mod... ...uty 4 multi-player..it was a 5 gig update! on one game alone! these days 30 gig is nottin...

matt.

I have the latest firmware according to that site. Ive only ever had to update it once or twice since we got it. We are considering BT, but never got around to switching yet.
    So us home users are staying on ADSL? Up to 7.6mb? Why couldnt they upgrade the speeds a long time ago?
    So if that stat checking site says i can only go up to 5mb, then i cant get 7.6? How does one improve their SN margin?

• Advertisement

put cotton wool around your telephone line

On a more serious note, disconnect everything in phonesockets, turn off your kettle etc and plug your pc into the main phone socket in your house, check your stats again. If it remains the same chances are you wont be able to improve as there is no "fix" for it. Many things out of your control can cause Interference problems.

nuxxx wrote: »
    put cotton wool around your telephone line

On a more serious note, disconnect everything in phonesockets, turn off your kettle etc and plug your pc into the main phone socket in your house, check your stats again. If it remains the same chances are you wont be able to improve as there is no "fix" for it. Many things out of your control can cause Interference problems.

We had ISDN before we got bb, and its connected up weird. From some box to some other box to the modem. So not sure how thats working. On the bill we have "BB HOME PLUS ISDN MIG WIFI".

re: UTV limits...I can confirm that UTV DO indeed charge "the ****" out of you if you go over..I was got for 180 euro one month for downloading a few gigs extra..that's why I am no longer with them for over a year or so.

BT. I'm on 30gig - 3 meg : service..And regularly exceed my limit..average 35-40 gigs..I e-mailed them and said i was going to go over it. They never got back to me, and NEVER charged me extra.

Then again my phone bill is average 210 euro every 2 months..cause I use the phone a lot! And I mean a LOT! but its worth it for the new 7.6 meg download commin (for me on 9th aug!! )!

matt.

ps: why are some many people not using BT? when they are by far the cheapest! then again, I suppose some people dont play game online for 6 hours a day !!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

hi..I posted the link from BT 3 meg to 7.6...there an hour ago..

It would seem, I get the upgrade well before some large citys!!

And yes ADSL 1, will work fine up to 7. meg... test your line..

matt.

What are your stats? Ie Attenuation & SNR?

Nick

I have the latest firmware according to that site. Ive only ever had to update it once or twice since we got it. We are considering BT, but never got around to switching yet.
    So us home users are staying on ADSL? Up to 7.6mb? Why couldnt they upgrade the speeds a long time ago?
    So if that stat checking site says i can only go up to 5mb, then i cant get 7.6? How does one improve their SN margin?

I had problems with my line when on 3meg. SO! I rewired the line myself.
    Go to the MASTER socket..the first wires come into your house. There should be only 2. Connect you modem into this socket direct. Then buy a wireless phone and use an adopter to plug direct into master socket.

Disconnect any other wires..you only need the 2 middle ones(the ones came directly into your house).

Now my line can handle 7.6 meg, while before it was reporting only handle 2meg (BT tested it) !

Happy days!

matt.

hi I see that these exchanges are now 3 meg to 7.6 DONE..

ballyjamesduff
    coolock
    malahide
    newmarket-on fergus
    thomastown
    walkinstown
    wicklow

and these are to be done in 2 days time 26th july 2008..

http://business.eircom.net/html/Phase2_July.pdf

please tell me your stats ie download rates etc!

Thanks all.

I have to wait another week!! noooo

Matt.

Where do you get your line stats? I went to http://192.168.1.254/, my router's page, and found:

Speed: 2048/256 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation: 27/11db

But it mentions nothing there about snr or noise margin's? Help!

Where do you get your line stats? I went to http://192.168.1.254/, my router's page, and found:

Speed: 2048/256 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation: 27/11db

But it mentions nothing there about snr or noise margin's? Help!
    Direct Link to your router stats page:
    http://192.168.1.254/indexExptStatRES.htm?adslRES.htm

Hope that helps. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

and these are to be done in 2 days time 26th july 2008..

http://business.eircom.net/html/Phase2_July.pdf

I just read an e-mail from BT about the situation and it now being done on a phased basis, with "the majority" being done by September. Being in the countryside, my heart sank as I expected to be near the end. But my exchange is on that list! That's cheered me up again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement