Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Direct Link to your router stats page:
    http://192.168.1.254/indexExptStatRES.htm?adslRES.htm

Hope that helps. :)

Ah great thanks. So my stats are:

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 22.50 21.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 27.50 11.00
    CRC Errors 0 1

Anyone decipher this for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

CRC Errors 0 1

They are good- your line should be well able for the upgrade to 3mb, probably even ok for the 7.6mb package although your SN might let you down there.

rc28 wrote: »
    They are good- your line should be well able for the upgrade to 3mb, probably even ok for the 7.6mb package although your SN might let you down there.

Cheers mate.

Is it only the first number you enter in the fields on this site: http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx

?? i.e for "Noise Margin" it's 22.50?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

For the Kilkenny City exchange users:

I emailed Eircom and the outcome is that the Kilkenny exchange upgrade hasn't been finalised :(:(:(

Cheers mate.

Is it only the first number you enter in the fields on this site: http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx

?? i.e for "Noise Margin" it's 22.50?

Ye- only enter the 'downstream' stats but that site is apparently inaccurate.

EDIT: What router are you using?- your SN is too low for such good attenuation according to that site;
    "It would appear your line is under performing with regard to ADSL, this may be due to issues like the ring wire, unfiltered equipment and other factors. Ideally you would expect to see connection speeds of 6850Kbps or higher at your attenuation"
    Sometimes if you change your router you can improve the SN

• Advertisement

I have a Netopia 2247NWG that Eircom gave me back at the start of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

CRC Errors 0 1

yeah..your fine for 7.6 meg.. nice one!

matt.

I have a Netopia 2247NWG that Eircom gave me back at the start of last year.

That's the one known for SN problems. If I were you, I would only buy a new one if I was upgrading to the 7.6mb package because it will be completely fine for 3mb but at 7.6 the sn will deteriorate quite a lot more than your current 22-potentially causing disconnects. I think for each additional mb you get, the SN falls by around 4, maybe SpongeBob or some other expert could clarify this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭vectra

mattman wrote: »
    yeah..your fine for 7.6 meg.. nice one!

matt.

What about me ?
    My line is being upgraded over the weekend 26 july

Stats:

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 9.00 6.50
    Line Attenuation (dB) 19.00 10.00
    CRC Errors 281 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

when will it be upgraded in limerick

Downstream Upstream Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256 SN Margin (dB) 31.00 12.50 Line Attenuation (dB) 12.50 8.00 CRC Errors 0 0

• Advertisement

That's the one known for SN problems. If I were you, I would only buy a new one if I was upgrading to the 7.6mb package because it will be completely fine for 3mb but at 7.6 the sn will deteriorate quite a lot more than your current 22-potentially causing disconnects. I think for each additional mb you get, the SN falls by around 4, maybe SpongeBob or some other expert could clarify this.

Yes I was waiting for the speed increases and was hoping to hop onto u.tv at 7.6mb for around ~€30 a month. What router should I buy if the 2247 is rubbish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Yes I was waiting for the speed increases and was hoping to hop onto u.tv at 7.6mb for around ~€30 a month. What router should I buy if the 2247 is rubbish?
    I'd always recommend a Linksys. Steer clear of Netgear.

Here's one I'd suggest:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=323162

If you'd rather, you could just get a free Wireless Router from UTV when you sign up. Not opting for the Router gives you one month free on their service, but taking it won't cost you extra. They usually provide the same as what BT provide in both Ireland and the UK. There's a 1-Port BT Voyager, model 210. However, I'd say you'll be able to get the BT Voyager 2110 Wireless 4-port Router from them.

EDIT: First post on the 100th page! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

DECEiFER wrote: »
    I'd always recommend a Linksys. Steer clear of Netgear.

Here's one I'd suggest:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=323162

If you'd rather, you could just get a free Wireless Router from UTV when you sign up. Not opting for the Router gives you one month free on their service, but taking it won't cost you extra. They usually provide the same as what BT provide in both Ireland and the UK. There's a 1-Port BT Voyager, model 210. However, I'd say you'll be able to get the BT Voyager 2110 Wireless 4-port Router from them.

EDIT: First post on the 100th page! :D

I have the generic Netopia 2247 router, should I change that to be able to expect the 7.6MB promised?

US

I have the generic Netopia 2247 router, should I change that to be able to expect the 7.6MB promised?

US
    That depends on what your line stats are.

Try this link for your Router:
    http://192.168.1.254/indexExptStatRES.htm?adslRES.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

US

just looking at a neighbours network there, they live right next door to me so in theory the stats should be similar. kinda shows the difference between the two routers, we both have the routers hooked up to the master socket
    [B]Netopia 3347NWG[/B] (my line, older all black eircom router)

Downstream 	Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 	   3072 	     384
    [B]SN Margin (dB) 	                   31.00 	   10.00[/B]
    Line Attenuation (dB) 	           24.00 	   12.00

[B]Netopia 2247[/B] (silver model)

Downstream 	Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 	    2048 	            256
    [B]SN Margin (dB) 	                    18.50 	          14.00[/B]
    Line Attenuation (dB) 	            20.50 	          11.00
    CRC Errors 	                            2195 	            18

if i plug my router into his line, i get stats close enough to the ones i get at home. My SNR margin is actually better than his and i've a meg faster.

Just an example on how your router can mess up your SNR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

Find out when you'll get your upgrade!

http://www.btireland.ie/cgi-bin/upgrade_time

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

just looking at a neighbours network there, they live right next door to me so in theory the stats should be similar. kinda shows the difference between the two routers, we both have the routers hooked up to the master socket
    [B]Netopia 3347NWG[/B] (my line, older all black eircom router)

Downstream     Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps)        3072          384
    [B]SN Margin (dB)                        31.00        10.00[/B]
    Line Attenuation (dB)                24.00        12.00

[B]Netopia 2247[/B] (silver model)

Downstream     Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps)         2048                 256
    [B]SN Margin (dB)                         18.50               14.00[/B]
    Line Attenuation (dB)                 20.50               11.00
    CRC Errors                                 2195                 18

if i plug my router into his line, i get stats close enough to the ones i get at home. My SNR margin is actually better than his and i've a meg faster.

Just an example on how your router can mess up your SNR.
    Hope you physically went next door and had a look ;)

vectra wrote: »
    What about me ?
    My line is being upgraded over the weekend 26 july

Stats:

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 9.00 6.50
    Line Attenuation (dB) 19.00 10.00
    CRC Errors 281 0
    That is excellent attenuation BUT your SN is absolutely terrible- when it goes to 7.6mbps you will almost certainly get disconnects unless you do something to improve it. If you have the silver eircom netopia 2247 then definitely get a new router or try the steps that SpongeBob mentions in his post from a couple of days ago;
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They are adding new exchanges slowly in the big cities mainly . They do not enable them as standard for ADSL either .

READ THIS EXPLANATION OF WHAT STATS TELL YOU !! especially if on a 3mbit line .

Anyone with margin of 25db+ and stable 3mbit should get the 7.6 upgrade or near enough.

You lose about 4db-5db per megabit of upgrade

25db margin now should be 5db at worst after the upgrade , tight that .
    8db is the recommended floor and after that you may have problems.

In other words 3mbits to 7.6mbits will require that you have 18-24Db of margin to spare thereby leaving you with no less than 8Db after the upgrade so thats either 18+8 = 26Db or 24+8=32Db ....between 26db and 32Db NOW.

If you have 20db margin , or less, today on a 3mbit line you will NOT get 7.6Mbit stable on that line with THAT modem unless you do something .

If your margin is 10-12db AND with a stable 3mbit today (pre upgrade) my advice is to drop down to the 2mbit package and save yourself some money, no tweaking or fiddling will get you to 7.6mb stable save what RC28 said about the Netopia Margin jumping way up with another modem. The Netopia will NOT do it.

If over 15db margin then maybe try to up the margin by working through this information below systematically, try step 4 first as its easy and quick :D

Kitz recommends the following modems if you are having Margin ( SNR they call it) issues .

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

There are 4 angles of attack alone or in combination , I quote Kitz on 2 of them , 2 and 3.

1. Disconnect ALL Internal wiring and use the main socket only for data , the socket supplied by eircom .

2 and 3 from the Kitz link. They are Check / Change Router and Check / Change Filter
    • Routers are known to provide a more stable connection than usb modems and the purchase of an adsl router has done the trick for many.
    • Be aware that some routers do perform better than others on Low SNR Lines, and although there is no guarantee, it is something very well worth trying.The Speedtouch 585 + 576, Netgear DG834, Westell 6100, D-Link DSL-G604T are some routers that have specifically been known to maintain a more stable connection on a low SNR line.
    • ~ The Netgear DG834 and DG834G have a very good reputation for being able to hold on to a connection at low SNR. I personally have seen one hang on to a line that frequently drops to 0dB (and below). Other users of the DG834G have reported similar. There's also a few instances where it worked when others wouldn't URL="http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=402.msg12226#msg12226"]link[/URL
      ~ The D-Link DSL-G604T has also been reported* to successfully stabilise a low SNR line which was about to be declared as incapable of supporting adsl. URL="http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=402.msg12228#msg12228"]link[/URL.
      ~ Most Speedtouch routers seem to work well on long lines and have a good reputation
    • Adsl Filters. Make sure your filters are fitted correctly. Fit good quality filters, some definitely are better than others - adslnation carries an article which shows the difference in between some filters. Or better still...
    4. If you do not use the phone line for Voice calls, DISCONNECT THE FILTER and plug the DSL router straight in , what does that do for your margin when you try it people ????

If nothing else a good result for test 4 logically tells you your must try 3 if you do need it for voice .

Because your attenuation is so good I would go as far to say there is something wrong with your internal wiring/filters if it's not the router that's causing such poor SN margin.

That's crazy...your modem/router can make this difference!
    I had a linksys but it got damage in a storm..I got a netgear max range V3.
    I looked it up and got bad reviews. But touch wood, never had a problem yet, and its going about 3 months.

also have a BT voyager 210 (firmware 3.62 - latest) (BT replaced it also, as it blew in storm also).

I'm on the outskirts of broadband DSL coverage. I'm in a village outside bagenalstown about 4K.

So no complaints here.

ps: range max me ar** ! the old linksys 54g was as good . same range and it was 3 years old!
    cut here

Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
    Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 01:17:05:53
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 3072 Kbps 384 Kbps
    Noise Margin 22.2 dB 13.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 43.0 dB 20.0 dB
    Output Power 6.8 dBm 8.0 dBm

cut here

Bring on 7.6 meg on 9th aug!

matt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

nuxxx wrote: »
    hellboy u seem to work for eircom or such?
    Can you explain about the levels on interleaving , fastpath etc that are going to be used, thanks nuxx.
    Wish i did, i just got a mail from BT. As for explaining the above i wouldn't have a clue.

• Advertisement

That's crazy...your modem/router can make this difference!
    I had a linksys but it got damage in a storm..I got a netgear max range V3.
    I looked it up and got bad reviews. But touch wood, never had a problem yet, and its going about 3 months.

also have a BT voyager 210 (firmware 3.62 - latest) (BT replaced it also, as it blew in storm also).

I'm on the outskirts of broadband DSL coverage. I'm in a village outside bagenalstown about 4K.

So no complaints here.

ps: range max me ar** ! the old linksys 54g was as good . same range and it was 3 years old!
    cut here

Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
    Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 01:17:05:53
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 3072 Kbps 384 Kbps
    Noise Margin 22.2 dB 13.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 43.0 dB 20.0 dB
    Output Power 6.8 dBm 8.0 dBm

cut here

Bring on 7.6 meg on 9th aug!

matt.
    I gave my Linksys WAG354G to my parents as they use Wireless. I don't, so I opted to use my BT Voyager 210. I'm a nice guy, aren't I? :rolleyes:

Well, I miss my Linksys. Best Router I ever had. Never dropped a connection. The BT Voyager 210 is OK, better than my old Netgear, which is gathering dust in a drawer. Also, the Voyager beats my ZyZEL 660HW-61 Wireless, which is terrible for range and dropping connections, too. The Linksys is good for everything. My parents live in a long bungelow in Shannon about 1km from the exchange. The Linksys it at one end of the long area of the house, the other end of the house has the patio door to the garden. No problem sitting outside when it's sunny and going online, excellent signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

Calebmcd wrote: »
    Find out when you'll get your upgrade!

http://www.btireland.ie/cgi-bin/upgrade_time

when i checked it says sepember but i already got an eircom upgrade to 7.6 rceiving only 5.2 ,so does bt mean uprede to adsl 2 ?

kamin99 wrote: »
    when i checked it says sepember but i already got an eircom upgrade to 7.6 rceiving only 5.2 ,so does bt mean uprede to adsl 2 ?

What are your line stats? Post some ping times and a speedtest.net result please. Cheers

kamin99 wrote: »

please post your stats...line att and noise please..

matt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭vectra

That is excellent attenuation BUT your SN is absolutely terrible- when it goes to 7.6mbps you will almost certainly get disconnects unless you do something to improve it. If you have the silver eircom netopia 2247 then definitely get a new router or try the steps that SpongeBob mentions in his post from a couple of days ago;

Because your attenuation is so good I would go as far to say there is something wrong with your internal wiring/filters if it's not the router that's causing such poor SN margin.

I actually am using the Netopia 3347NWG :
    Software Version 7.4.2r2

I am on the BT Broadband.
    I am using this modem simply for the wireless function.
    Would you reccomend as new one?
    If so
    what one?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I had problems with my line when on 3meg. SO! I rewired the line myself.
    Go to the MASTER socket..the first wires come into your house. There should be only 2. Connect you modem into this socket direct. Then buy a wireless phone and use an adopter to plug direct into master socket.

Disconnect any other wires..you only need the 2 middle ones(the ones came directly into your house).

Now my line can handle 7.6 meg, while before it was reporting only handle 2meg (BT tested it) !

Happy days!

matt.

Hi Mattman Can you give more details on this like colour of wires needed etc I'd be very intrested in this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

hi I see that these exchanges are now 3 meg to 7.6 DONE..

ballyjamesduff
    coolock
    malahide
    newmarket-on fergus
    thomastown
    walkinstown
    wicklow

and these are to be done in 2 days time 26th july 2008..

http://business.eircom.net/html/Phase2_July.pdf

please tell me your stats ie download rates etc!

Thanks all.

I have to wait another week!! noooo

Matt.

I am on the Newmarket-On-Fergus exchange and my line hasn't been upgraded. I am still getting 2mb. Also the BT checker says that my line won't be upgraded until post September?

I have emailed the Eircom press office but I haven't got a response yet.

ElNino wrote: »
    I am on the Newmarket-On-Fergus exchange and my line hasn't been upgraded. I am still getting 2mb. Also the BT checker says that my line won't be upgraded until post September?

I have emailed the Eircom press office but I haven't got a response yet.
    Do you live in Newmarket-On-Fergus village or are you slightly out in the countryside?

I'm from Shannon, which is getting the upgrade this weekend. Though, I live in Tralee, and I'm on one of the two exchanges there that is getting the upgrade this weekend, too. The other Tralee exchange covering the north part of the town is not due to be upgraded until post-September. I guess I got lucky when I was seeking accommodation! :D

vectra wrote: »
    I actually am using the Netopia 3347NWG :
    Software Version 7.4.2r2

I am on the BT Broadband.
    I am using this modem simply for the wireless function.
    Would you reccomend as new one?
    If so
    what one?

Cheers
    I wouldn't be much good for advice on other routers but others have been asking similar questions- look back over last few pages.
    However, you have the router that doesn't have much of a probolem with SN so there is definitely something wrong with the wiring/dsl filters in your house- have you tried any of the steps in Spongebob's post that I quoted on page 100?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

please post your stats...line att and noise please..

matt.

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 6144 512
    SN Margin (dB) 11.00 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 40.50 27.00
    CRC Errors 0 5

300302027.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement