Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Give it time lads, any major upgrade can have its problems when first rolled out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

thats true cabaal but
    if there putting buisness levels of interleaving on all the 7.6 meg connections, it looks like we`re all baked with regards to gaming

i told told on the phone by a script monkey i will be put on fastpath on my 7.6 connection but its not a risk im willing to take

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

As far as i know and they may havechanged it since i worked in Eircom, users have the optionof changing their interleaving depending on their use of the product. However it will cost you to change it back and forth...like 8 euro a pop. Unless they are gettin rid of this due to the adsl2+ upgrade im not sure. Somthing to call Eircom about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,561 ✭✭✭✭vectra

rc28 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be much good for advice on other routers but others have been asking similar questions- look back over last few pages.
    However, you have the router that doesn't have much of a probolem with SN so there is definitely something wrong with the wiring/dsl filters in your house- have you tried any of the steps in Spongebob's post that I quoted on page 100?

OK
    Updated the software to 7.5 last night
    Pulled out the filters and plugged it into usual socket ( extention )
    No difference ..!!

These are the old Stats :
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 9.00 6.50
    Line Attenuation (dB) 19.00 10.00
    CRC Errors 281 0

Pulled out the Netopia and plugged it into the original Eircom socket.with no filters this morning : :D

These are the new Stats:
    Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 31.00 9.50
    Line Attenuation (dB) 18.50 10.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

briantwin wrote: »
    As far as i know and they may havechanged it since i worked in Eircom, users have the optionof changing their interleaving depending on their use of the product.

Tryed this many a time, there entire technical department dont no the difference between interleaving and fastpath 0_o:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

vectra wrote: »
    OK

SN Margin (dB) 9.00 6.50
    CRC Errors 281 0

Pulled out the Netopia and plugged it into the original Eircom socket.with no filters this morning : :D

These are the new Stats:

CRC Errors 0 0

22db of margin from

1. Eliminating internal wiring
    2. Removing filter.

Jolly good , what does the filter take away ( on the main) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

vectra wrote: »
    OK
    Updated the software to 7.5 last night
    No difference ..!!

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 9.00 6.50
    CRC Errors 281 0

These are the new Stats:
    Downstream Upstream
    CRC Errors 0 0

See, this just goes to show how much poor internal filters etc can destroy a broadband connection. I think spongebob's post I quoted yesterday should be stickied for everyone to try before they come on here wondering why they can't get 7.6mb.
    You now have excellent line stats and shouldn't have any trouble getting the full speeds.

You now have excellent line stats and shouldn't have any trouble getting the full speeds.

You are my friend for life :D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lynchie

nuxxx wrote: »
    thats true cabaal but
    if there putting buisness levels of interleaving on all the 7.6 meg connections, it looks like we`re all baked with regards to gaming

i told told on the phone by a script monkey i will be put on fastpath on my 7.6 connection but its not a risk im willing to take

Thats strange... just checked my own connection at home (2Mb residential) and its configured with interleave.. always thought it was fastpath. Buy my pings to boards is still 13.6ms even with interleave

In the office here with 6Mb business and interleave its 43ms...

They got different levels of interleaving??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

As stated before on this thread, there are at least 2 levels of interleaving, there is a 3rd level i.e. aka Off which is known as Fastpath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭dubmick

Calebmcd wrote: »
    Find out when you'll get your upgrade!

http://www.btireland.ie/cgi-bin/upgrade_time

Your line will be upgraded on the weekend of the 9th August

Happy enough with this, not too long to wait now. Actually my office (it's small) is getting upgraded from 4mb to 10mb on Monday morning.

See, this just goes to show how much poor internal filters etc can destroy a broadband connection. I think spongebob's post I quoted yesterday should be stickied for everyone to try before they come on here wondering why they can't get 7.6mb.

The only thing I dont like is thie CRC errors..!
    Are they something to be concerned about ?

Right now since my last post above these are my stats :

Downstream Upstream
    CRC Errors 4817 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Kenmare

Could somene link me to a good filter then with a cost of up to 20euros.

Cheers

my current filter is: Excelsus z-blocker DSL Filter Model z-230TJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I recieved my speed increase today. I upgraded to 3MB yesterday and today I checked my router stats and it was 7616/627 (kbps)

I wasnt able to connect to the net though, I had the red light on the modem. After spending a half hour troubleshooting with a "tech support monkey" over the phone, he informed me that my line wasn't capable of 7.6MB and said he had to downgrade me to 6MB.

Did anyone else have this issue? I live 100 feet from the exchange ffs, if my line isn't capable of that speed then how is anyone elses?!

They also said the cost will still be 48.40 even though I'm not getting the listed package, what a ****ing joke

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

They also said the cost will still be 48.40 even though I'm not getting the listed package, what a ****ing joke
    You are paying for 3Mb with upto 7.6Mb if your line can handle it. Pot luck really.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I recieved my speed increase today. I upgraded to 3MB yesterday and today I checked my router stats and it was 7616/627 (kbps)

I wasnt able to connect to the net though, I had the red light on the modem. After spending a half hour troubleshooting with a "tech support monkey" over the phone, he informed me that my line wasn't capable of 7.6MB and said he had to downgrade me to 6MB.

Did anyone else have this issue? I live 100 feet from the exchange ffs, if my line isn't capable of that speed then how is anyone elses?!

What were your noise levels like when your line was in sync, also you note it was in sync but was it dropping at all?

At the end of the day if the line noise is decent and the line is in sync it should be loggin in

Can you post your line stats by going to your router's home page- troubleshoot- DSL- statistics

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7616 6 72
    SN Margin (dB) 14.50 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 1.00 1.50
    CRC Errors 0 1

SN Margin was (ds) - 28 (us) - 20 before the upgrade,
    Now its (ds) - 14 (us) - 12

20db is a pretty good SNR margin I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work on 7MB, was it dropping sync at all while it was upgraded?

Doesn't make sense that the SNR margin has decreased since downgrading though

Cabaal wrote: »
    20db is a pretty good SNR margin I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work on 7MB, was it dropping sync at all while it was upgraded?

Doesn't make sense that the SNR margin has decreased since downgrading though

I think the downgrade was reversed, it's back up to 7.6MB now :/

• Advertisement

Still should be fine while 14db SNR margin ain't great it should still be ok especially if the line is keeping sync, is it logging in at all?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Still should be fine while 14db SNR margin ain't great it should still be ok especially if the line is keeping sync, is it logging in at all?

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean by "logging in", Im fairly new at this stuff =p

its just on the left

cant someone post him the default router settings? iv forgotten

eircom@eircom.net <-username
    broadband1 <- password

think its that

then hit connect!

maybe i misread -__- are u connected @ 7 mb now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

The tip is to use PPPoA instead of PPPoE. For some reason it does work, found it out in 2006 and being doing it that way ever since. Why? Because, there's less overhead, and if you do a speed test, you will notice a slight increase of between 50-100Kb on the downstream side.

Also, here's my line stats. I'm due an upgrade this weekend to 7.6Mb. I'm still at 3Mb. I'll post my stats as they are now from my Router and after I have the upgrade, I'll post them again to compare.

Line-Stats.jpg

ADSL-BER.jpg

Can you please post a speedtest.net result when you get the chance. btw what exchange are you on in Louth? I thought Drogheda and Dundalk weren't due to get an upgrade until september and i dont see why some smaller exchange in Louth would get it before them.

cant believe sum1 comes on says they got a upgrade then fecks off again without posting there dl speed and pings

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

cant believe sum1 comes on says they got a upgrade then fecks off again without posting there dl speed and pings
    I cant believe someone with an attitude like that expects people to do a favour for them.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I cant believe someone with an attitude like that expects people to do a favour for them.

sorry :/
    iv got a massive online tournament on sunday and i really need to no
    bus goes home in 3 hours so its tight
    im anxious like hell about this upgrade

Sorry =o, my line went down again..
    Heres my Speedtest

300636469.png

• Advertisement

Sorry =o, my line went down again..
    Heres my Speedtest

300636469.png

can u post some ping times from dos for me please

go to start run then type command

then

ping www.kplay.de