Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

nuxxx wrote: »
    sorry :/
    iv got a massive online tournament on sunday and i really need to no
    bus goes home in 3 hours so its tight
    im anxious like hell about this upgrade

You dop know somebody else's ping times etc are not 100% when it comes to your line, each line is different and you could have people living next to each other....one with a 4MB line and another with a 2MB line due to line quality and line errors

It'll give you as general idea is all,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Sorry =o, my line went down again..
    Heres my Speedtest

300636469.png
    Thanks. I really don't understand those results as you have the best line attenuation one could possibly attain and yet you are still not getting near 7.6mb. This means absolutely no one in Ireland is going to get above 7mb or have they actually limited you to 6mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

thats all i want cabaal

if he ping are near are like in the 70s to those sites theres mass interleaving on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

can u post some ping times from dos for me please

go to start run then type command

then

ping www.kplay.de

ping www.utservers.nl

thank you

Pinging www.kplay.de [81.3.59.4] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 81.3.59.4: bytes=32 time=58ms TTL=59
    Reply from 81.3.59.4: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=59
    Reply from 81.3.59.4: bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=59
    Reply from 81.3.59.4: bytes=32 time=58ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 81.3.59.4:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 57ms, Maximum = 59ms, Average = 58ms
    Pinging server1.utservers.nl [84.244.144.2] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 84.244.144.2: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=59
    Reply from 84.244.144.2: bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 84.244.144.2:
    Minimum = 52ms, Maximum = 53ms, Average = 52ms

your welcome ;)
    Thanks. I really don't understand those results as you have the best line attenuation one could possibly attain and yet you are still not getting near 7.6mb. This means absolutely no one in Ireland is going to get above 7mb or have they actually limited you to 6mb.

No the limits been lifted, heres my stats

1o387a.png

thanks

terrible pings :)

oh well at least i no now and expected it

edit seen its interleaving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

thats all i want cabaal

if he ping are near are like in the 70s to those sites theres mass interleaving on
    If my pings shoot, I will downgrade to 3Mb quicker than 70ms, I'll tell you that for free!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

thats all i want cabaal

course there's interleaving on,. Eircom would be mad to turn it off given the amount of extra support calls it could cause.

The VAST majority of people on DSL don't even know what interleaving is and the affects of having it off or on are

So giving people the option imho would be bad as you'd get people wanting it off so they'd get better ping times due to suggestions on forums they've read but then they'd bitch about their line being less stable. :)

I think we need a fresh new thread from tomorrow to handle the first wave of upgades that should be happening sometime this weekend for people to post speedtest results, ping times and what package they have been upgraded to.

rc28 wrote: »
    I think we need a fresh new thread from tomorrow to handle the first wave of upgades that should be happening sometime this weekend for people to post speedtest results, ping times and what package they have been upgraded to.
    Sure, leave that up to whoever wants to make one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

Sorry if it's been mentioned before but after the upgrade can we request to turn interleaving off is it not allowed? Would the request be made directly to Eircom or go through your reselller?

• Advertisement

sounds good
    here would be fine also

cabaal sure alot of dsl customers dont no what interleaving is
    but for sure alot no what ping is, especially gamers.

Of course it doesnt matter to alot of people, but to a big group of people it does. Its called the online gaming community

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Interleaving will never be turned off and its also possible for them to use it on ADSL2+

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Interleaving will never be turned off and its also possible for them to use it on ADSL2+
    The cheap bastards even went about contenting ADSL2+ to 24:1 on their 10/12Mb business packages. I've never seen that before from an ADSL2+ provider. Like for example, Smart are smart about it, and offer 1:1! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

My exchange has been upgraded but my line hasn't been upgraded from 2mb to 3mb. I think this will be of interest to a lot of people.

My stats are
    Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin: 13.50 20.00 dB
    Line Attenuation: 49.50 31.50 dB
    Output Power: 10.90 2.26 dB
    Errored Seconds: 0 0
    Loss of Signal: 1 1
    Loss of Frame: 0 0
    CRC Errors: 70732 554
    Data Rate: 2048 256

I queried this with Eircom and after initially being told my line should have been upgraded I got the following reply
    I am really sorry but following further discussion internally it appears that I was mistaken and you will not get 3mb.

The db reading on your line is 62dbs and therefore your line profile remains set at 2Mb for stability purposes.

You would require a stronger db reading (line strength) in order to support the 3Mb service and have your line set at 3Mb profile.

These guidelines are set by our network engineers.

Is there anything which I can do? My Netopia 3347NWG modem is plugged directly into the main Eircom socket. I am probably about 3 miles from the exchange.

The ADSL calculator says my line should be capable of 3010Kbps on the above stats but my SNR drops to 8.5 occasionally.

ElNino wrote: »
    My exchange has been upgraded but my line hasn't been upgraded from 2mb to 3mb. I think this will be of interest to a lot of people.

My stats are

I queried this with Eircom and after initially being told my line should have been upgraded I got the following reply

Is there anything which I can do? My Netopia 3347NWG modem is plugged directly into the main Eircom socket. I am probably about 3 miles from the exchange.

The ADSL calculator says my line should be capable of 3010Kbps on the above stats but my SNR drops to 8.5 occasionally.
    That is very worrying as I have slightly worse attenuation and am on the 2mb. However, my SNR margin is better at 25. It's bizarre their 'engineers' are reporting different stats than your own router- give them a call and tell them what you are reading from your router. Also try improving your SNR by the steps mentioned in this thread over the last 5 pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

New thread started for POST upgrade results ONLY

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56685454#post56685454

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

El Nino, could you do some ping test please, Im just wondering is the new 3meg package still giving a very low ping or has that moved to high interleaving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

I'm at the end of my tether now. I have plugged my modem directly into the master socket but my line stats have stayed the same. With my low attenuation my SNR should be a lot higher. My stats are as follows:
    Downstream Speed: 3072 kbps
    Upstream Speed: 384 kbps

noise margin downstream: 12 db
    output power upstream: 1 db
    attenuation downstream: 14 db

I'm going to try and borrow a modem to see if SNR improves but failing that I'll probably downgrade to 3Mb.

Alas i don't think the upgrade is for me :(

Gonzo wrote: »
    El Nino, could you do some ping test please, Im just wondering is the new 3meg package still giving a very low ping or has that moved to high interleaving?

I've just been on to Eircom to see if they could switch interleaving off for me, they said that all interleaving on the upgraded exchanges has been set to high until all upgrades are finished, and when the work is done they will switch users to Fastpath if they request it because "They understand that some users will want lower latency for gaming etc"

I've just been on to Eircom to see if they could switch interleaving off for me, they said that all interleaving on the upgraded exchanges has been set to high until all upgrades are finished, and when the work is done they will switch users to Fastpath if they request it because "They understand that some users will want lower latency for gaming etc"
    So we'll have to wait until after September, or perhaps, until after the early part of 2009, as some exchanges won't be upgraded until then?

But for those who would be better off without Fastpath (due to bad stats), will Interleaving be set back to where it is now, low?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

just edit my siginature! See if its working!

Anyway...check out me stats! should handle 7.6 meg!

DECEiFER wrote: »
    So we'll have to wait until after September, or perhaps, until after the early part of 2009, as some exchanges won't be upgraded until then?

But for those who would be better off without Fastpath (due to bad stats), will Interleaving be set back to where it is now, low?

I don't know whether they meant after each exchange is upgraded, or the entire grid. And Im guessing that interleaving will be switched back to low for people, maybe it's only set to high to limit the problems while upgrading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

zugvogel wrote: »
    I've just ordered a Thomson SpeedTouch 585 v7 from the UK. I'm no expert but it seems to come highly recommended for people who have low/unstable snrs or crappy lines. Its uses broadcom chips as opposed to the ar7. I've used routestats to monitor my snr on the netopia 2247 - its a steady 12 to 15db during the day but all over the place when it gets dark. When I get the SpeedTouch set up I'll do a comparison and post the results here.

Zug

Got the Thomson SpeedTouch 585 v7 yesterday and set it up last night.

With the netopia 2247 my snr was up and down from dusk till dawn like a you know what's knickers - at any instance it could be literally anywhere in the range 0-13bdB.

Last night the SpeedTouch held the SNR at 13-14dB (straight line graph) all night so its much more stable than the 2247 netopia on my line but alas it didn't improve it.

When looking at you're SNR with the 2247s you really shoudl record it with something like routerstats for 2 or 3 hours. Its no use just looking at it now and again because on noisy lines the 2247 is all over the place.

If I get upgraded to 3MB I know my SNR will drop back to 8 or 9 dB but I think the speedtouch will hold it Ok. People in the UK run the 585 v6s at SNRs well below 10 without much trouble it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

See below
    Pinging www.k-play.de [81.3.59.4] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 81.3.59.4: bytes=32 time=87ms TTL=59
    Reply from 81.3.59.4: bytes=32 time=76ms TTL=59
    Reply from 81.3.59.4: bytes=32 time=103ms TTL=59
    Reply from 81.3.59.4: bytes=32 time=79ms TTL=59

Reply from 84.244.144.2: bytes=32 time=81ms TTL=59
    Reply from 84.244.144.2: bytes=32 time=72ms TTL=59
    Reply from 84.244.144.2: bytes=32 time=73ms TTL=59
    Reply from 84.244.144.2: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=59

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ElNino wrote: »
    See below

thanks, those results are truly bitterly dissapointing:(

these are mine from the same servers.

ping www.k-play.de

Pinging www.k-play.de [81.3.59.4] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 81.3.59.4: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=59
    Reply from 81.3.59.4: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=59
    Reply from 81.3.59.4: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=59
    Reply from 81.3.59.4: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 81.3.59.4:
    Minimum = 34ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 34ms

Reply from 84.244.144.2: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 84.244.144.2:
    Minimum = 28ms, Maximum = 28ms, Average = 28ms

At least it looks like the 7.6mb is the only package affected by the high interleaving because someone who got upgraded to 3mb from 2mb on the malahide exchange posted decent ping times;
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56685724&postcount=2

At least it looks like the 7.6mb is the only package affected by the high interleaving because someone who got upgraded to 3mb from 2mb on the malahide exchange posted decent ping times;
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56685724&postcount=2

thats good to know at least I can downgrade once the new package kicks in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

thats good to know at least I can downgrade once the new package kicks in.

its still an absolute joke though gonzo, waiting so long for an upgrade then being forced to downgrade.

your on the same exchange as myself, when i get upgraded on the 9th i'll keep you updated on ping times (i should be on the full 7.6) if you do decide to downgrade.

yeah it seems a bit daft doesnt it. well the upgrades are still on the way for 99% of us, lets hope they see the light and revert the interleving back to very low coz if this high interleaving is gonna normal on the 7.6meg package then theres gonna be alot of people switching to far cheaper packages. So far all the results posted by people on the new 7.6meg has shown very poor high interleaving.

• Advertisement

There's only one problem. If people do downgrade, which I will be doing myself if I cannot get a decent latency to domestic and foreign servers, you'll be going from a package that is set to 24:1 contention to one that is 48:1. Your line may be more stable at the lower package, but you'll be heading straight into a larger traffic jam. It won't matter how good your line is if the data is not flowing down it optimally.

It seems that if it does go as badly as some of us think, the ADSL broadband in this country is going down a standard, and not up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement