Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

rc28 wrote: »
    That is very worrying as I have slightly worse attenuation and am on the 2mb. However, my SNR margin is better at 25. It's bizarre their 'engineers' are reporting different stats than your own router- give them a call and tell them what you are reading from your router. Also try improving your SNR by the steps mentioned in this thread over the last 5 pages.

I just rang Eircom support and I got through to some script jockey in Mumbai. He put on hold for 5 minutes then told me to call back in the morning when there would be engineers on duty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

nice to see many others are interested in the interleaving problem!:)

the pings for 7.6 seem to be _INSANE_
    Altho 3mb seems the same as before

confused

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Do eircom have a link on there web site to upgrade your speed or do you have to call them. I am on 1mb for 3 months free and its too slow want the 2 mb will I just pay the difference for the first 3 months between 1mb and 2mb

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nuxxx wrote: »
    nice to see many others are interested in the interleaving problem!:)

the pings for 7.6 seem to be _INSANE_
    Altho 3mb seems the same as before

confused

hopefully this is just some mad error of judgement that Eircom will put right when we are all upgraded. Also as posted above I totally forgot that downgrading back to the 3meg package puts you on a 48:1 contention which is not good, im beginning to wish this upgrade would never happen now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

mattman wrote: »
    re: UTV limits...I can confirm that UTV DO indeed charge "the ****" out of you if you go over..I was got for 180 euro one month for downloading a few gigs extra..that's why I am no longer with them for over a year or so.
    Thats rather steep at €180... but nothing makes me laugh more than those people that think they have a right to unlimited bandwidth on a broadband connection while paying the same amount as everyone else (probably the same people that regularly use 70-100GB a month and more downloading and complaining when they cant get a fast speed on BitTorrent :rolleyes:).
    What we need, is for a few DSL providers to match UPC with an unlimited package or two.
    mattman wrote: »
    ps: why are some many people not using BT? when they are by far the cheapest! then again, I suppose some people dont play game online for 6 hours a day !!
    Because using BT is like Russian Roulette, get lucky and dont have any billing or technical problems, and you will do fine. Get unlucky and you will have headaches. I was with BT, but their idiotic policy of disconnecting my connection every 24 hours and every 30 minutes if idle, is infuriating when you leave your modem plugged in all the time, and it disconnects right when you are in the middle of something, like a file upload/download or IM session and get cut off because of it. It was these continuous disconnects that drove me to DigiWeb.. the fact that DigiWeb gave me a static IP address, was just icing on the cake.
    Ye- only enter the 'downstream' stats but that site is apparently inaccurate.

EDIT: What router are you using?- your SN is too low for such good attenuation according to that site;
    "It would appear your line is under performing with regard to ADSL, this may be due to issues like the ring wire, unfiltered equipment and other factors. Ideally you would expect to see connection speeds of 6850Kbps or higher at your attenuation"
    Sometimes if you change your router you can improve the SN
    "Your line should perform very well under ADSL, the estimated speed based on your data is higher than what is to be expected for that attenuation. Most lines achieve around 7912Kbps"
    35/19 (SNR/dB). Given that the speed is going to be capped at 7.6.. its not an issue for me.
    DECEiFER wrote: »
    I'd always recommend a Linksys. Steer clear of Netgear.
    I cant speak for their ADSL modems, but the Netgear WNR824B Pre-N wireless router, is a gem. Netgear's default firmware is limited, but rather reliable. The WNR's beauty is in being able to run DD-WRT :D
    Psygnosis wrote: »
    Hi Mattman Can you give more details on this like colour of wires needed etc I'd be very intrested in this
    FWIW: Depends on the installation. Ours is old, so the two wires come in as a twisted pair of white & grey wires which run into a junction box. From here, the internal cable feeding our master cable has four wires: blue, brown, green, orange. Newer installs use a variation of the CAT 5 ethernet cable, with just two pairs: blue/white-stripe, white/blue-stripe, orange/white-stripe, white/orange-stripe. Normally they use the two blue/white wires (brown and blue on the older standard) for wiring internal extensions from the master socket. think eircom's master cable coming in, just has two wires.

On an upnote for me.. that BT line checker says my line will be upgraded this coming weekend. Eircom's script monkey told me the most I could get was 5Meg, and their Press Office told me I was connected to Waterford Central (5Km from me) dispite my line attenuation indicating that I am less than 1.3Km from the exchange. DigiWeb told me I would not be upgraded, period, that I was "phase 4". I checked a few numbers that are connected to waterford central, and they report "post september".

So I am waiting eagerly for this weekend to pass.. does anyone have an idea of what time we can expect the upgrades to happen? If its just a software upgrade.. will it be an instant switch-on for the exchanges on the list?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Because using BT is like Russian Roulette, get lucky and dont have any billing or technical problems, and you will do fine. Get unlucky and you will have headaches. I was with BT, but their idiotic policy of disconnecting my connection every 24 hours and every 30 minutes if idle, is infuriating when you leave your modem plugged in all the time, and it disconnects right when you are in the middle of something, like a file upload/download or IM session and get cut off because of it. It was these continuous disconnects that drove me to DigiWeb.. the fact that DigiWeb gave me a static IP address, was just icing on the cake.
    Nothing wrong with BT mate. You sure you had your modem set up correctly? There is an option to disconnect automatically when the line is not in use.. But there is also an always on option.

The 24 hour ip renewal is never an issue for me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

ElNino wrote: »
    My exchange has been upgraded but my line hasn't been upgraded from 2mb to 3mb. I think this will be of interest to a lot of people.

My stats are

I queried this with Eircom and after initially being told my line should have been upgraded I got the following reply

Is there anything which I can do? My Netopia 3347NWG modem is plugged directly into the main Eircom socket. I am probably about 3 miles from the exchange.

The ADSL calculator says my line should be capable of 3010Kbps on the above stats but my SNR drops to 8.5 occasionally.

I just got a call back from Eircom support. They have looked at my line and they thought that it could take 3mb so they have upgraded me. They said that my line was not upgraded automatically because my stats were marginal. They will review it for a week. Hopefully this will be of help to somebody else.

Here are my before and after stats. It is very interesting that my pings have improved substantially and CRC errors fallen since the upgrade.

STATS BEFORE UPGRADE
    Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin: 13.50 20.00 dB
    Line Attenuation: 49.50 31.50 dB
    Output Power: 10.90 2.26 dB
    Errored Seconds: 0 0
    Loss of Signal: 1 1
    Loss of Frame: 0 0
    CRC Errors: 70732 554
    Data Rate: 2048 256

STATS AFTER UPGRADE
    SNR Margin: 11.00 15.00 dB
    Line Attenuation: 50.50 31.50 dB
    Output Power: 18.08 2.07 dB
    Loss of Signal: 0 0
    CRC Errors: 1067 9
    Data Rate: 3072 384

PINGS BEFORE UPGRADE

Pinging www.k-play.de [81.3.59.4] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 81.3.59.4: bytes=32 time=87ms TTL=59
    Reply from 81.3.59.4: bytes=32 time=76ms TTL=59
    Reply from 81.3.59.4: bytes=32 time=103ms TTL=59
    Reply from 81.3.59.4: bytes=32 time=79ms TTL=59

Quote:
    Pinging server1.utservers.nl [84.244.144.2] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 84.244.144.2: bytes=32 time=81ms TTL=59
    Reply from 84.244.144.2: bytes=32 time=72ms TTL=59
    Reply from 84.244.144.2: bytes=32 time=73ms TTL=59
    Reply from 84.244.144.2: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=59

PINGS AFTER UPGRADE

Pinging www.k-play.de [81.3.59.4] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 81.3.59.4: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=59
    Reply from 81.3.59.4: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=59
    Reply from 81.3.59.4: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=59
    Reply from 81.3.59.4: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=59

Pinging server1.utservers.nl [84.244.144.2] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 84.244.144.2: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=59
    Reply from 84.244.144.2: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=59
    Reply from 84.244.144.2: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=59
    Reply from 84.244.144.2: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=59

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

ElNino wrote: »
    I just got a call back from Eircom support. They have looked at my line and they thought that it could take 3mb so they have upgraded me. They said that my line was not upgraded automatically because my stats were marginal. They will review it for a week. Hopefully this will be of help to somebody else.

Here are my before and after stats. It is very interesting that my pings have improved substantially and CRC errors fallen since the upgrade.

STATS BEFORE UPGRADE
    Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin: 13.50 20.00 dB
    Line Attenuation: 49.50 31.50 dB
    Output Power: 10.90 2.26 dB
    Loss of Signal: 1 1
    CRC Errors: 70732 554
    Data Rate: 2048 256

STATS AFTER UPGRADE
    SNR Margin: 11.00 15.00 dB
    Line Attenuation: 50.50 31.50 dB
    Output Power: 18.08 2.07 dB
    Loss of Signal: 0 0
    CRC Errors: 1067 9
    Data Rate: 3072 384

Whats even more interesting is that your downstream SNR only dropped 2.5dB after the upgrade.
    There's hope fro people on marginal SNRs yet it seems.

You should keep a close eye on your SNR to see how stable it is. The problem period is usually dusk till dawn.

Zug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with BT mate. You sure you had your modem set up correctly? There is an option to disconnect automatically when the line is not in use.. But there is also an always on option.

Your router will have the option to nail your connection or to disconnect when idle. It's not a BT issue at all.

However, the 1440 minute IP renewal disconnection can be annoying, all ADSL ISP's do it, just maybe not as often. I think Eircom is 3 days, or something like that. I don't see the sense is rotating IP's so often. What's the hassle in leasing it for a week instead of 24 hours? Or, why not do it like cable providers do it? They give you an IP and you keep it for so long as your connection doesn't drop for more than a certain amount of hours. One person I know in Holland has had the same IP for 3 years, as he has a 96 hour lease on it. Unless his connection goes idle for more than 4 days, it's his IP, and his provider does not give out static IP's as bog standard.

If ever the upload speed increases to more than a Mb, some people will try to run servers. Maybe a game server, or maybe a radio server for a 24 hour Internet Radio Station, or perhaps a web server! These IP renewal disconnections will be a pain for those people. A guy I know in Sweden runs many servers on his 10Mb down and up 1:1 FTTH connection. No drops, but maybe a technical hitch every 6 months or so where it will go down for a short period and he'll get a new IP from his ISP's DHCP server. And what kills me is that he pays less a month for his connection than BT customers do for 3Mb/384Kb and line rental (the BT Broadband & Talk €56 package).

And now, it looks like we're going up the broadband ladder by a step, only for the rungs to suddenly break. Sickened much?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big P

Anyone else here on the Sandyford exchange? According to the line checker I won't be upgraded until "post September". AFAIK my exchange is already ADSL2+ enabled, so what could possibly be the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Big P wrote: »
    Anyone else here on the Sandyford exchange? According to the line checker I won't be upgraded until "post September". AFAIK my exchange is already ADSL2+ enabled, so what could possibly be the problem?
    The Eircom hamster that literally runs your exchange has died. They are attempting to modernize the equipment in line with the 1980's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭CivilEx

dubmick wrote: »
    Your line will be upgraded on the weekend of the 9th August

Happy enough with this, not too long to wait now. Actually my office (it's small) is getting upgraded from 4mb to 10mb on Monday morning.

....first time that I got an e-mail from BT (btconsumermarketing@bt.com) in 2 years...at least I am due for upgrade on the 9th August

header2.gif

We had communicated to you in May in our customer updates brochure that our broadband speeds were increasing in June 2008.
    Unfortunately, our wholesale supplier has informed us of a delay in their upgrade programme resulting in the speed upgrades now taking place on a phased basis. This upgrade programme has already commenced with thousands of customers already enjoying their new speeds – we expect the majority of customer upgrades to be completed by September 2008.
    Please accept our apologies for this delay which is out of our direct control.

http://www.btireland.ie:80/cgi-bin/upgrade_time

Kindest Regards,
    The BT Team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Big P wrote: »

That makes no difference to you cause you ain't getting ADSL2+. Thats for businesses only, or the odd rich residential customer who can afford 10 & 12 meg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Just got upgraded from 2>3 a few minutes ago.
    For anyone wondering its really painless, was literally 10 seconds down then back up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Just got upgraded from 2>3 a few minutes ago.
    For anyone wondering its really painless, was literally 10 seconds down then back up again.
    What exchange are you on? Line Stats please and post them in the following thread please;
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055342629

jmccrohan wrote: »

BT will drop your PPPoE connection after 30minutes of idle, regardless of your router settings, and thats in their T&C's along with the 24 hour reset. Both are annoying when you get cut off while connected to AIM or MSN, or certain IRC servers. It annoyed me enough, that I left for DigiWeb.
    However, the 1440 minute IP renewal disconnection can be annoying, all ADSL ISP's do it, just maybe not as often. I think Eircom is 3 days, or something like that. I don't see the sense is rotating IP's so often. What's the hassle in leasing it for a week instead of 24 hours? Or, why not do it like cable providers do it? They give you an IP and you keep it for so long as your connection doesn't drop for more than a certain amount of hours. One person I know in Holland has had the same IP for 3 years, as he has a 96 hour lease on it. Unless his connection goes idle for more than 4 days, it's his IP, and his provider does not give out static IP's as bog standard.
    Not all ISP's do.
    If ever the upload speed increases to more than a Mb, some people will try to run servers. Maybe a game server, or maybe a radio server for a 24 hour Internet Radio Station, or perhaps a web server! These IP renewal disconnections will be a pain for those people.
    People host servers on dynamic connections too using DynDNS and such.
    A guy I know in Sweden runs many servers on his 10Mb down and up 1:1 FTTH connection. No drops, but maybe a technical hitch every 6 months or so where it will go down for a short period and he'll get a new IP from his ISP's DHCP server. And what kills me is that he pays less a month for his connection than BT customers do for 3Mb/384Kb and line rental (the BT Broadband & Talk €56 package).
    My friend in Sweden has a 100Mbit VDSL2 connection.. for about the same price Im paying at the moment :/

And so far, no upgrade.. but Im looking forward to the increased upload as well as download.. it will make my weekly backups that much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

kamin99 wrote: »
    well followed the steps and here is the result ,is it any good ,my router Notopia 3347 still reads less than 7.6MB
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 6144 512
    SN Margin (dB) 8.50 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 40.50 27.00

300344023.png

Can someone tell me is my line supposed to get near 7.6 MB or that is all i will ever get:eek: ,do i need to buy a new ADSL2+ router I'm using Netopis 3347NWG with firmware7.6

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

BT will drop your PPPoE connection after 30minutes of idle, regardless of your router settings, and thats in their T&C's along with the 24 hour reset. Both are annoying when you get cut off while connected to AIM or MSN, or certain IRC servers. It annoyed me enough, that I left for DigiWeb.
    A quick firmware update solves that :rolleyes:
    My friend in Sweden has a 100Mbit VDSL2 connection.. for about the same price Im paying at the moment :/
    Is his IP address 83.140.176.146 by any chance? ;)

What exchange are you on? Line Stats please and post them in the following thread please;
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055342629
    Don't really see the point of doing that to be honest. I'm connecting at full speed and getting about 2.65mbit on speedtest.

Don't really see the point of doing that tbh. I'm connecting at full speed and getting about 2.65mbit on speedtest.
    :rolleyes:
    The thread is to provide info on how successful the upgrades are going (for people interested in following the subject) but if you can't be arsed then that's fine.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:
    The thread is to provide info on how successful the upgrades are going (for people interested in following the subject) but if you can't be arsed then that's fine.

Not a case of not being arsed, I like to keep location to myself and fail to see how my stats would help anyone else.

Just got upgraded :D:D

Speed: 7616/672
    Noise Margin: 15dB (was 35)
    Attenuation: 18dB

300834216.png

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

kamin99 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me is my line supposed to get near 7.6 MB or that is all i will ever get:eek: ,do i need to buy a new ADSL2+ router I'm using Netopis 3347NWG with firmware7.6

Also could eircom watch alarm affect mys speed?

Just got upgraded :D:D

Speed: 7616/672
    Noise Margin: 15dB (was 35)
    Attenuation: 18dB

300834216.png
    Nice speeds but pretty dirty pings :(

Not a case of not being arsed, I like to keep location to myself and fail to see how my stats would help anyone else.
    Ok fair enough- you don't have to name your exchange if you are paranoid but the stats are actually of interest to people to judge how the upgrades are performing under different line conditions (eg attenuation, high SNR etc) and they are also useful to be able to tell people what their line is capable of if they want to upgrade to a higher package (eg if you have a line attenuation of 40 and are getting the full 3mb then we can tell someone else with similar line stats, with confidence, that they should be able to avail of 3mb too- useful for people who are worried that if they spend more money they wont actually get the higher speed).
    But if YOU don't see any point then don't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

300836216.png

Why Eircom, with these new connection speeds you are surely spoiling us :D

Up from the 3mb product, by the way

Ok fair enough- you don't have to name your exchange if you are paranoid but the stats are actually of interest to people to judge how the upgrades are performing under different line conditions (eg attenuation, high SNR etc) and they are also useful to be able to tell people what their line is capable of if they want to upgrade to a higher package (eg if you have a line attenuation of 40 and are getting the full 3mb then we can tell someone else with similar line stats, with confidence, that they should be able to avail of 3mb too- useful for people who are worried that if they spend more money they wont actually get the higher speed).
    But if YOU don't see any point then don't bother.

That can just as accurately be given by using one of the many line test sites on the net. As far as people knowing my location, its not paranoia I just like to be anonymous.

That can just as accurately be given by using one of the many line test sites on the net. As far as people knowing my location, its not paranoia I just like to be anonymous.
    meh

Those line tests have been proven as innaccurate. I understand wanting to be anonymous but then just don't say what exchange you're on- you wont be forced to in that thread!

• Advertisement

300836216.png

Why Eircom, with these new connection speeds you are surely spoiling us :D

Up from the 3mb product, by the way

Wow but try a few different speedtests using different servers because sometimes that site can be wrong. Also, if you have time could you post details in here- you speeds are particularly interesting but don't say what exchange you're on if you don't want to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement