Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Most people are going to have an eircom NTU tho.

whats NTU ??? u on tablets!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 1813 kbps (226.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 362 kbps (45.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Ping: 98ms

My ping on vodafone 3G is lower than eircoms 7.6mb dsl offering :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

nuxxx wrote: »
    My ping on vodafone 3G is lower than eircoms 7.6mb dsl offering :pac:
    Roffle :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Anyone on Roaches T. Limerick get upgraded?....i'm still on 3MB and thought i'd get 7.6MB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Anyone on Roaches T. Limerick get upgraded?....i'm still on 3MB and thought i'd get 7.6MB?

Each phase is being done over their respective weekends. From what i can gather, not all the same night so the remainder for phase 2 should be done tonight/tomorrow night. I've spoken to a few today that should have been done but haven't yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kenny11

anybody know when the ADSL 2 upgrade is taking place, I'm in Bandon in Cork and eircom told me that it has not been scheduled yet but in the list it appears to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

If i could'nt get BB because of a capacitante problem on my line , Can I get it now after the upgrade?I'm only 3 miles from a BB exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 10 eamonnm

For all those who care Bennetsbridge exchange upgrades around 9 this morning now on 3 Meg Woohooo not bad for a village of 1000 or so souls!!!!!

Listowel exchange has been upgraded, just got a call from my brother to say he's syncing at 7616/612. Ping is ~40ms to the eircom gateway, about 4 times higher than it was. SNR margin of 12db.
    kenny11 wrote: »
    anybody know when the ADSL 2 upgrade is taking place, I'm in Bandon in Cork and eircom told me that it has not been scheduled yet but in the list it appears to be.

Some exchanges have already been enabled for ADSL2+ but it's for business users only, on the 10 and 12Mb packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

I'm in Cork,Carrigaline and just got the Ericom speed upgrade.
    My line stats are suck :(

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 5472 672
    SN Margin (dB) 9.00 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 28.50 13.50
    CRC Errors 0 1

The router is connected to the phone socket where the line comes in to the house.I've took apart the box and disconnected the extra lines (loads of extra wires inside,looks like a rat's nest...)
    A 20m long shielded Cat cable is running from the router to my computer upstairs.
    Is there anything I could do to reduce the noise?

• Advertisement

Do you have the silver Netopia modem or the older blueish one?

The silver one 2247-02 on firmware 7.7.0r6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

gibbon75 wrote: »
    The silver one 2247-02 on firmware 7.7.0r6

That model has serious SNR trouble and is probably the reason you are not getting the full speeds. Do you have any spare router around? You may have to buy a new one from Komplett.ie(an adsl modem that is also a router) if you want any improvement I'm afraid.

From what I've read on here the silver modems are fairly poor. A few pages back the D-Link DSL-G604T was recommended for poor quality lines.

I have a Huawei Aolynk ADSL2+ router from Smart.
    I've just hooked it up and my download speed went up to 6mbps.
    Reconnected the Netopia now and here's the funny bit:
    I picked up my phone for 10 seconds,that made my modem to resync (the adsl led went to red) and here are my stats now:

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 6272 672
    SN Margin (dB) 10.00 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 28.00 13.00
    CRC Errors 0 1

Can it be the filter (I'm using the one came with Netopia)?
    Any other recommended modems besides the D-Link DSL-G604T?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

gibbon75 wrote: »
    Can it be the filter (I'm using the one came with Netopia)?
    Any other recommended modems besides the D-Link DSL-G604T?
    Try:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=323162

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

Can you guys tell me more about my stats do i need to buy a new ADSL 2+ modem to improve my line upgrade from 3 MB using Netopia 3347nw
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 6144 512
    SN Margin (dB) 6.50 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 40.50 27.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 RTuwilliger

I'm not sure if this is the place for this, but anyway. here's what the next upgrade might be. I've had this for the last couple of weeks. The speed is slightly lower than expected, I think, because of using the standard Eircom Netopia router (2247-02)

ISP Eircom

15355/1021 (kbps)

301147435.png[/url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

how much ya payin for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

I'm not sure if this is the place for this, but anyway. here's what the next upgrade might be. I've had this for the last couple of weeks. The speed is slightly lower than expected, I think, because of using the standard Eircom Netopia router (2247-02)

ISP Eircom

15355/1021 (kbps)

301147435.png[/url]

Wow how did u get that is it ADSL2+ in your area already

Eircom are continually testing new products, and I help them out, it's the type of nice person I am. And, before it starts, I have a connection with Eircom, but am not employed by them.

Eircom are continually testing new products, and I help them out, it's the type of nice person I am. And, before it starts, I have a connection with Eircom, but am not employed by them.
    I never thought I'd put the words Eircom and Innovation into the same sentence.

So, how can we all become Eircom Test Pilots? :P

It's hardly innovation, they're not reinventing the wheel, I'd say it's a combination of lack of investment as they went from owner to owner, each trying to make a decent return, and the cost of doing any infrastructure upgrades here costing a multiple of our European neighbours.

It's hardly innovation, they're not reinventing the wheel, I'd say it's a combination of lack of investment as they went from owner to owner, each trying to make a decent return, and the cost of doing any infrastructure upgrades here costing a multiple of our European neighbours.
    The cost of using Eircom for the consumer is also a multiple of what our European neighbors pay the same and better services from their telcos.

There is no good excuse for the lack of investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

I have just replaced my silver Netopia 2247-02 on firmware 7.7.0r6 with a Netgear DG834PN router and my line attenuation is holding rock solid on 27db both in daylight and nightime,whereas before it was erraticly jumpig between 12db to 19.50db. I am currently on the Eircom Home Pro 3072/384 package and am quietly confident of a reliable upgraded package,although us poor sods on the Delvin exchange will have to wait until Jan 09 as there are "Transmission Upgrades" required according to Eircom's press office.

When the last few owners keep flipping the business, there is always going to be a lack of investment, it cuts profits, and therefore shareprice.

When Eircom was a state company there was no incentive for cutting edge technology, name me one Government owned company that isn't a total joke? You expect it to be sold and then billions invested, with little expectation of return, so Paudie bum**** in Leitrim can have broadband for a tenner a month? I wish you well with that idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

When the last few owners keep flipping the business, there is always going to be a lack of investment, it cuts profits, and therefore shareprice.

When Eircom was a state company there was no incentive for cutting edge technology, name me one Government owned company that isn't a total joke? You expect it to be sold and then billions invested, with little expectation of return, so Paudie bum**** in Leitrim can have broadband for a tenner a month? I wish you well with that idea.
    Eircon are a bunch of useless **** milking this country dry and investing 0. Yes state owned companies are crap, however state owned companies like ESB etc. MUST provide a service for everybody, not just whoever they decide in around cities.

Eircon gets my line rental every month, yet for my 3Mb BB say that 64kilobytes upload is normal and they refuse to accept any complaints on it as its 'rate adaptive'

So NO eircom arent better than a state owned company, at least back in the day they provided a decent service( by decent i mean not giving a connection date in a new estate of 20 months in the future ), not to mention if they were state owned resellers like UTV,BT, Vodafone would have forced them to upgrade the max rate years ago

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

Maybe it's unrealistic, but why don't we deserve it if they can have it elsewhere? We should have it, in my opinion. We can all hope. :)

I hate it when people defend Eircom. They have the money, they're just tight about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Looks like 9th august for my local exchange,i have the 3MB package at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement