Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 RTuwilliger

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Maybe it's unrealistic, but why don't we deserve it if they can have it elsewhere? We should have it, in my opinion. We can all hope. :)

I'll assume you're younger than me, I remember a 3 year wait for a phone line, I remember starting a business and being laughed at for wanting more than one line, I remember ringing your TD to try and skip the wait to get a phoneline in. I remember having to slip an Eircom engineer money to ignore the fact you had two handsets in your house, I remember paying equipment rental every bill for a cheap ****ty phone provided by Eircom, You think they're bad now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

How come Mullingar has disappeared off any of the upgrade dates?

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I'll assume you're younger than me, I remember a 3 year wait for a phone line, I remember starting a business and being laughed at for wanting more than one line, I remember ringing your TD to try and skip the wait to get a phoneline in. I remember having to slip an Eircom engineer money to ignore the fact you had two handsets in your house, I remember paying equipment rental every bill for a cheap ****ty phone provided by Eircom, You think they're bad now?
    It seems that I am younger, but you're missing my point. I am sure things were worse in the past, as with everything. Things are supposed to evolve over time. Now, maybe Eircom are not as bad today as they were in time's past, but they are the worst and most expensive company in Western Europe. That fact cannot be ignored or mitigated.

That is indeed probably true, but as the poster above who wished they were like the ESB, comparisons are useless. The ESB is probably the most expensive electricity company in Europe, nobody knows the price of a Kilowatt, everyone knows what a 3MB line at home costs.
    I hate it when people defend Eircom. They have the money, they're just tight about it.

I'll take this with a pinch of salt, the parent company is getting hammered in Australia, unless you know that Eircom has hidden gold in Switzerland?

^At least ESB make a profit for being a state owned company, theyre expensive but ive nothing to compare their rates against
    I'll assume you're younger than me, I remember a 3 year wait for a phone line
    I ordered a phone line last august, they gave me a connection date of October, October came and went and i kept hounding them, eventually in november they said March 2009 would be the connection date
    I remember ringing your TD to try and skip the wait to get a phoneline in.
    Yep, only got them to connect me when i wrote several complaints and told them they were in violation of Comreg's minimum contract agreement of providing a proper connection date
    I remember paying equipment rental every bill for a cheap ****ty phone provided by Eircom
    Yep, i pay line rental for BB thats useless apart from browsing, when i need it for work
    You think they're bad now?
    Yep worse, at least if they were making profits it would go in the governments coffers, at least the government could have more control over the situation

Im not digging at you mate, i been to hell with those tossers the past year and ive just given up, so much so that myself and the missus are moving house in 2 weeks to see if we can at least get usable broadband

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Advertisement

I know what you're saying, I had a nightmare myself to get broadband originally, and it turned out to be something totally stupid.

Unfortunately we live in a country where everyone wants word class services for next to nothing, yet in their own job, they want top wages and conditions. The ESB make a profit because there is no competition, the average wage in that company is €92,000 and they still make a profit, are you earning that much? I know that I'm not.

I'll take this with a pinch of salt, the parent company is getting hammered in Australia, unless you know that Eircom has hidden gold in Switzerland?
    So what? They were doing so bad in Australia that they thought buying Eircom would mend this? They overcharge us so they can move the money over to Australia? I don't know jack about how a business is run, what's allowed and what's not, in terms of money movements. I do know that we're the worst off in Europe and there's something at fault for that. It needs to be sorted, and there's no better time to start than now. I'd wait patiently, provided that it's not decades away, and there is a solid year put down as a target for lifting the standard up to where our European friends are at.

But, as usual, it doesn't look like we're going to get what we want and deserve any time soon. No known target is set. I doubt they even see their errors, or care about them.

They were doing ok when they bought Eircom, and no, they are not relying on Eircom to get them out of trouble. Most companies don't give a **** about their customers, or European levels of broadband penetration etc. They exist to justify their share price. maybe you'd be happy if the company you work for halted all payrises for a couple of years so they could invest in infrastructure in a place you've never heard of, for the greater good.

You're a bigger man than me.

That is indeed probably true, but as the poster above who wished they were like the ESB, comparisons are useless. The ESB is probably the most expensive electricity company in Europe, nobody knows the price of a Kilowatt, everyone knows what a 3MB line at home costs.

Not as expensive as NIE though. The ESB have one of the most up to date electricity networks in the world, and back in the early 1990s Telecom Éireann had the best telecommunications infrastructure in Europe. I don't believe anyone when they tell me privatisation is a good thing, look at Eircom over here and British Rail in the UK. I know my grandmother waited years for a telephone when it was finally installed in 1983 but it seems that as soon as they got things right they were privatised and fell downhill as they passed from one owner to another.

I know what you're saying, I had a nightmare myself to get broadband originally, and it turned out to be something totally stupid.

Unfortunately we live in a country where everyone wants word class services for next to nothing, yet in their own job, they want top wages and conditions. The ESB make a profit because there is no competition, the average wage in that company is €92,000 and they still make a profit, are you earning that much? I know that I'm not.
    I agree with you on all the greed in this country, however for a country who's in the top 3 software exporters in the world our infrastructure is crippled. Yes its the governments fault, but a huge stumbling block is Eircom.

They basically dont give a crap, they install a line, if theres any problem with it good luck, the door is closed. Im one of those software devs, i commute but can work from home and also need BB access over the weekend while on call. Since i moved and got the POS phoneline in ive not been able to do my work and be on call. I dont care about world class BB, 3Mb with 384kilobit upload would be perfectly fine for me, but not 64kilobit with 25% packet loss and pings between 100ms and 3000ms is a disgrace. Wouldnt mind im less than 2 miles from the exchange, new copper line installed, and theyve basically told me to **** ***, wont send an engineer out, even though i have no problem paying

Anyway thats enough of my rant, but if things keep going the way they are here the only choice is to skip country, which sounds a bit drastic but at elast when you buy a house you know itll have facilities to support your job

Eircom are just milking it, id pay 100euro per month for a 20/24Mb line if it was available, but the option isint there and unless BT install more switches nationwide, it wont ever be there

• Advertisement

They were doing ok when they bought Eircom, and no, they are not relying on Eircom to get them out of trouble. Most companies don't give a **** about their customers, or European levels of broadband penetration etc. They exist to justify their share price. maybe you'd be happy if the company you work for halted all payrises for a couple of years so they could invest in infrastructure in a place you've never heard of, for the greater good.

You're a bigger man than me.
    Listen, it's about doing a good job. Say I work for a company called Arseticklersfaggitsfanclub (reference, anyone?), and say I decided I could work for the company's greater good or I could satisfy myself and laze around all day. If I did the latter, I wouldn't be long getting fired, now would I?

They have both a job to pay their workers fairly and to treat their customers fairly. Failing any of that, who's going to fire them? See, we're powerless. It's not on.

I doubt Eircom ever had the best network in Europe, and if they were never privitised, the bloke checking your line would be on €80k and the idiot in the call center on 60K, they would give even less of a ****e as they couldn't be sacked, or even reprimanded. Your service might be slightly better as billions in tax money would have to be invested, you would have ended up paying a whole lot more, but indirectly.

Meh, what you never see, you never miss.

I could work for the company's greater good or I could satisfy myself and laze around all day. If I did the latter, I wouldn't be long getting fired, now would I?

It's impossible to be sacked from a state company, or if you're a former state employee, or if you work in former state company. Why do you think mass murders always run amok in a post office and kill dozens of people? It because they know they always have a job when they get out.

I doubt Eircom ever had the best network in Europe, and if they were never privitised, the bloke checking your line would be on €80k and the idiot in the call center on 60K, they would give even less of a ****e as they couldn't be sacked, or even reprimanded. Your service might be slightly better as billions in tax money would have to be invested, you would have ended up paying a whole lot more, but indirectly.

I remember when I was 10-12 back in the mid 1990's, doing all these prank calls to "10" from Telecom Éireann payphones. You'd call the operator a dope and he'd get angry and call me a "little ****e" and a whole lot more, and this was the same during multiple pranks over the years to them. Prank England's freephone number and they'd be a lot more professional about it. Call America's AT&T freephone number, and you'll get a script monkey. It's amazing what Telecom Éireann workers got away with!

so instead we have something like a Dublin Bus who noone can compete with but they wont put on any extra busses or routes, and thats good? Your points are on generic public/private sectors and the issues with the public sector being insanely expensive, however id prefer something insanely expensive that works over something thats dead in the water with no future

Eircom did have one of the best networks in the world in the early 80's because they skipped the 2nd gen analogue switching services and upgraded everything to digital

I've no idea what a USO is, and I'm not, and never have been employed by Eircom. I'm a realist, and who said my face was ever straight?

I could cause issue witht the tard comment, but as I have always hated the moderation on here, and that's why I never post her, I wouldn't bother.

I've no idea what a USO is, and I'm not, and never have been employed by Eircom. I'm a realist, and who said my face was ever straight?

I could cause issue witht the tard comment, but as I have always hated the moderation on here, and that's why I never post her, I wouldn't bother.
    It's clear we'll always have a difference in opinion. However, I too am a realist. I don't expect, but I do hope. I respect your point of view, and I can only ask that you too will respect mine. I am 24, and probably a bit younger than you (or perhaps a lot younger?), but I'm not stupid. You have more experience and knowledge, but I have always been one to compare consumer experiences (from the layman consumer point of view) with that of our neighbors.

As for the moderation on here. I have heard it was bad ranging from people I know to the DJ's making mention of them on 2FM and Today FM, but since I have started posting here, I have never seen any misdemeanors on their part. They have always delivered fair punishment. And being as realistic as I said I was before, it won't matter if you make an issue of SpongeBob's insult towards you. If a moderator catches it, it will be dealt with accordingly whether you want it to be or not. That's how all good forums work.

SpongeBob, it was only days ago during last week that BloodSugarSex was given a one week temporary ban for calling you a "dickhead". Are you asking for trouble?

I understand forums need moderation, I've moderated one that was a lot bigger than this site, but the obsession with locking/moving threads etc on here is the worst I've ever seen. Then again, the site make the rules, I decide whether to post her or not.

I made the comment about the tard comment because it amused me due to the normal moderation, it didn't bother me in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

As for the moderation on here. I have heard it was bad ranging from people I know to the DJ's making mention of them on 2FM and Today FM, but since I have started posting here, I have never seen any misdemeanors on their part. They have always delivered fair punishment. And being as realistic as I said I was before, it won't matter if you make an issue of SpongeBob's insult towards you. If a moderator catches it, it will be dealt with accordingly whether you want it to be or not. That's how all good forums work.

SpongeBob, it was only days ago during last week that BloodSugarSex was given a one week temporary ban for calling you a "dickhead". Are you asking for trouble?

Hear Hear!! Everyone up to now was giving their own opinions without insults being exchanged.
    Lets keep it to the topic without insulting people's contributions!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Hear Hear!! Everyone up to now was giving their own opinions without insults being exchanged.
    Lets keep it to the topic without insulting people's contributions!!
    ....agreed...back on thread....

• Advertisement

Fair point Ninja, I only registered to post possible news of future upgrades, I tend to get them a few months before everyone else, and get an odd bit of info regarding future developments ie TV over IP etc. I was in the same position as a lot of others, wondering what was happening with upgrades a while ago, I just thought I'd share what little I knew.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

rtuwilliger

It is impossible for a reasonable person NOT to notice that Ireland has the HIGHEST line rental on the PLANET

Any differences between Leitrim and Dublin are accounted for by this exorbitant gouging by eircom . Then we have to deal with the worst fault correction standards in europe when the bloody thing does not work, again :(

In Finland they pay less than 2/3 what we pay for line rental and can have ADSL in areas north of the Artic Circle.

Furthermore it gets fixed to a reasonable standard if it breaks.

Furthermore all of what you and I have said is off topic in this thread. It helps nobody get their wheezy crappy 3mbit line up to 7.6mbits .

But you KNOW that which is why you started to post here :(

Lets get back to the realpolitik of Irish copper shall we.

Wouldn't it be fantastic if all the copper wiring was ripped out and everyone had FTTH? No last mile copper. No copper, period! This is what Eircom should be aiming for, anytime before 2050 would be fantastic. I bet Sweden does it first in Europe and it's done before 2025. :)

Fair point Ninja, I only registered to post possible news of future upgrades, I tend to get them a few months before everyone else, and get an odd bit of info regarding future developments ie TV over IP etc. I was in the same position as a lot of others, wondering what was happening with upgrades a while ago, I just thought I'd share what little I knew.
    we do appreciate it, however you have to understand there are a lot of us here with current problems/issues with Eircom and positive posts on Eircom on here isint going to change our situation.

Anyways on topic, that BT upgrade date checker says Mullingar post September, grrrr, so probably next year then so

I bet Sweden does it first in Europe and it's done before 2025. :)

North of the Artic Circle and all :(

I have no idea if the line rental is the highest in the world, though it wouldn't surprise me. The same for line correction stats
    But you KNOW that which is why you started to post here frown.gif

You tell me why you think I started to post here, I've been nothing but honest
    Lets get back to the realpolitik of Irish copper shall we.

Yeah, let's do that, whatever the **** that means.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    we do appreciate it, however you have to understand there are a lot of us here with current problems/issues with Eircom and positive posts on Eircom on here isint going to change our situation.

Anyways on topic, that BT upgrade date checker says Mullingar post September, grrrr, so probably next year then so
    I'm at my parents' house until Tuesday until I go back to Tralee where my PC and connection. Here at my parents' we got BT 1Mb. Can't test anything until Tuesday. It's killing me knowing that it's there and not being able to use it.

Fair point Ninja, I only registered to post possible news of future upgrades, I tend to get them a few months before everyone else, and get an odd bit of info regarding future developments ie TV over IP etc.

Really , that was discussed around here in June, you registered in July .

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Really , that was discussed around here in June, you registered in July .
    So what? He probably only registered tonight, as his first post using his current alias was about an hour ago. They probably discussed TVoIP (haha) several times over the years here on Boards. So, what's the point you're trying to make? No, in-fact, why don't you just forget the point and get back on-topic? Grow up.

• Advertisement

I registered tonight, though I read here an odd time, dating back to when the upgrades normally happened in April, to see when I ws due.

Even though you register in July, you can still read threads dated before that date, it must be a flaw in the forum software.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement