Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Even though you register in July, you can still read threads dated before that date, it must be a flaw in the forum software.
    Yeah, they ought to get that fixed. Information can be dangerous. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Yeah, they ought to get that fixed. Information can be dangerous. :P

Especially a USO when eircom will not come out to repair your line :p

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Especially a USO when eircom will not come out to repair your line :p
    Universal Service Obligation, I take it?

Read here - http://www.askcomreg.ie/_fileupload/File/Guides/USO.pdf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 RTuwilliger

I love the attitude, I'll be trying to be one of the first testers for TV over IP, I'm sure when it happens Ill rush over her to give any results.

I love the attitude, I'll be trying to be one of the first testers for TV over IP, I'm sure when it happens Ill rush over her to give any results.
    I'll appreciate it if you do. I'm sure a lot of us would. It's not all bad, so please don't let a few people spoil it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

DECEiFER wrote: »
    I'm at my parents' house until Tuesday until I go back to Tralee where my PC and connection. Here at my parents' we got BT 1Mb. Can't test anything until Tuesday. It's killing me knowing that it's there and not being able to use it.

haha, that would eat me up, hope it goes well

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

How do we all sign up for it? ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

The ESB is probably the most expensive electricity company in Europe, nobody knows the price of a Kilowatt, everyone knows what a 3MB line at home costs.
    In all honesty, I know that the cost of a kW/h atm is 13.28c + vat (iirc) and i have no idea how much 3 Mbps bb is..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

farranfore exchange no Upgrade so far --still 3 mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

trolling...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

Connected to the Passage East exchange here, scheduled for this weekend, nothing so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm not sure if this is the place for this, but anyway. here's what the next upgrade might be. I've had this for the last couple of weeks. The speed is slightly lower than expected, I think, because of using the standard Eircom Netopia router (2247-02)

ISP Eircom

15355/1021 (kbps)

301147435.png[/url]

very nice connection there, also ping is good as well unlike the new 7.6meg package thats goin around. I presume thats ADSL2+ your on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Gonzo wrote: »
    very nice connection there, also ping is good as well unlike the new 7.6meg package thats goin around. I presume thats ADSL2+ your on?

My ping isnt so bad.

301331633.png

It was 50-55 before upgrade, now 65-70

Speedtest results are not too accurate either, I should have max 800 KB/s donwload with those readings, but when downloading I am getting over 920 KB/s

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Could be separate to Eircoms upgrades but UTV have changed my line from 2MB to 3MB.

DownStream Connection Speed 3072 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 384 kbps

Down Up
    Line Attenuation 16 db 4 db
    Noise Margin 27 db 19 db

301343182.png

Nice one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

No idea when it happened but I downloaded a file from rapidshare today and was shocked when I saw it was coming down at 600kbs.:D I used to be on a 3mb connection but they must have upgraded it in the last day or two. Just did a speed test and this was the result.

301358197.png

Don't know if that's good or bad or what. I presume it should be closer to 8 than 6?

I live in North Cork btw, close to the Limerick & Kerry border, pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

No idea when it happened but I downloaded a file from rapidshare today and was shocked when I saw it was coming down at 600kbs.:D I used to be on a 3mb connection but they must have upgraded it in the last day or two. Just did a speed test and this was the result.

301358197.png

Don't know if that's good or bad or what. I presume it should be closer to 8 than 6?

I live in North Cork btw, close to the Limerick & Kerry border, pretty much in the middle of nowhere.
    Thats about right when you take into account overheads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Demondaze

If I may ask a question.... according to my router info the most I can sync at is 5120/512. Obviously the reality is a little less than this, I'm at 4317 down and 431 up according to speedtest and a few others. I'm not complaining, because I was fearful that an upgrade to 7.6mb would push my SNR too low, so I'm pretty happy with this in-between upgrade speed, which has doubled my RS/torrent download speeds, more or less.

But I was wondering why the max speed, according to the router, is 5120 now? Why isn't it 7600whatever? The exchange is Caherdavin, Limerick. It's pure curiosity really (as well as my wodnering if the upgrade will "complete" itself at a later date... I want to know if I should still fear for the future of my connection, heh) as to why my 3mb has become 5mb instead of an unstable 7mb.

I'm sure there's a simple explanation and I'll seem an idiot for asking, but if anyone knows, I'd appreciate having my curiosity sated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Demondaze wrote: »
    I'm sure there's a simple explanation

There are number of them if you read the thread through from about tuesday to saturday :)

If I may ask a question.... according to my router info the most I can sync at is 5120/512. Obviously the reality is a little less than this, I'm at 4317 down and 431 up according to speedtest and a few others. I'm not complaining, because I was fearful that an upgrade to 7.6mb would push my SNR too low, so I'm pretty happy with this in-between upgrade speed, which has doubled my RS/torrent download speeds, more or less.

But I was wondering why the max speed, according to the router, is 5120 now? Why isn't it 7600whatever? The exchange is Caherdavin, Limerick. It's pure curiosity really (as well as my wodnering if the upgrade will "complete" itself at a later date... I want to know if I should still fear for the future of my connection, heh) as to why my 3mb has become 5mb instead of an unstable 7mb.

I'm sure there's a simple explanation and I'll seem an idiot for asking, but if anyone knows, I'd appreciate having my curiosity sated.
    Your router is connecting at the maximum speed capable on your line. Eircom is giving you the full 7.6mbit but your line can't handle more than 5.1mbit. Depending on your line stats it might be possible to increase this by changing something in the house such as extensions or dsl filters. Try plugging the router into the main socket and disconnecting everything else and see is there any increase in connection speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Mikebyrne

Will these Eircom exchange upgrades only effect Eircom and BT or will other services like UPC, SMART etc be able to avail of the upgraded exchanges?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Mikebyrne wrote: »
    Will these Eircom exchange upgrades only effect Eircom and BT or will other services like UPC, SMART etc be able to avail of the upgraded exchanges?
    Did you read the thread AT ALL?

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Did you read the thread AT ALL?

Only from 113 onwards, what did I miss??

Smart has their own equipment independent of Eircoms in the exchanges they have enabled, UPC are completely separate from anything to do with Eircom and use a completely different technology. The only ISPS that will be effected by this upgrade are the Eircom resellers, eg. BT, Imagine, Vodafone, Irish Broadband (dsl only) Digiweb (dsl only) Utv etc.

So this should potentially open up alot of competition in the dsl market??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

most people are still gonna be stuck with eircom service since its the only thing available to them
    smart ,ntl,magnet, etc are all lightyears better but theyre only available to a handful of lucky customers
    probably the rest of the country will be stuck witih eircom copper lines for a good few years to come

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

delllat wrote: »
    most people are still gonna be stuck with eircom service since its the only thing available to them
    smart ,ntl,magnet, etc are all lightyears better but theyre only available to a handful of lucky customers
    probably the rest of the country will be stuck witih eircom copper lines for a good few years to come

Don't forget that llu is not a panacea - you are still dependent on copper wire.
    I have Smart but my line is still not the best - many Smart customers find themselves in a similar position. And in what way are are others 'light years' better? Many people are perfectly happy with Eircom they generally give reliable speeds and have a reliable billing service - they don't throttle people.

Look at NTL's lousy customer service for example how does that make them 'light years' better?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No not really, you can't have competition when all the ISP's that resell Eircoms product all sell the exact same product at more or less the same price

the real competition is between Smart, UPC and some of the wireless providers who are trying to gain new ground

• Registered Users Posts: 7 padgio

Eircom Broadband upgrade has happened in Gorey, I am getting 2662kb down (3Mb) and 310 Up, it would be nice if they would let people know when they are doing it, my broadband was down for 30 mins while they did it:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I am beginning to think there is an issue at Caherdavin. My line stats are great, easily able to handle full speed, yet my connection is syncing at 4096.
    Its annoying.

• Advertisement

padgio wrote: »
    , it would be nice if they would let people know when they are doing it, my broadband was down for 30 mins while they did it:

Ideally yes it would but at the end of the day they don't guarantee 100% uptime and they are allowed to take the line down for maintenance from time to time, this is one of these times :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement