Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Cabaal wrote: »
    Ideally yes it would but at the end of the day they don't guarantee 100% uptime and they are allowed to take the line down for maintenance from time to time, this is one of these times :)

Surely a little disruption is a price worth paying? Also contacting everyone would be a huge drain on staff time no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

well they did relase that upgrades were happing this weekend, dont really see the problem here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭dubmick

just got our office upgrade there it's gone from...

301633791.png

to

301654404.png

Supposed to an upgrade to 10mb, doesn't look like we are getting it though!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

dubmick wrote: »
    Supposed to an upgrade to 10mb, doesn't look like we are getting it though!
    Ping times have almost halved. That alone is a big improvement.

any idea why we are not getting the full 10 mb?

• Advertisement

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Ping times have almost halved. That alone is a big improvement.

When will people relise speedtest does NOT respesent a accurate ping time test, 1 test maybe be 100 next 20......

Use a simple dos ping command to test ping.

any idea why we are not getting the full 10 mb?

Could be a number of reasons, u might need a fireware update, your line might be poor, you might need to invest in a new router. ETC post line stats etc

Cisco 877W Router. We are right beside the exchange.

Sorry don't know how to get the stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

Could be separate to Eircoms upgrades but UTV have changed my line from 2MB to 3MB.

DownStream Connection Speed 3072 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 384 kbps

Down Up
    Line Attenuation 16 db 4 db
    Noise Margin 27 db 19 db

301343182.png

Nice one :pac:

UTV are another eircom reseller so they will give you whatever eircom are sending through the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Cisco 870 Router. We are right beside the exchange.

Sorry don't know how to get the stats.
    Go to the command line interface (in privileged mode) and type in "sh dsl int atm0"

If you're on a business account then it's probably ADSL2+ as well? If so, make sure you've got a fairly recent ADSL chipset firmware installed (or alternatively an up to date IOS version that has a newer version embedded in it). Some of the older versions don't support ADSL2+. The firmware version will be shown in the above output.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dub45 wrote: »
    Surely a little disruption is a price worth paying? Also contacting everyone would be a huge drain on staff time no?

I meant yes in a ideal world...of course best you could hope for is perhaps e-mails being sent out explaining the upgrade and advising there might be some downtime, but by doing this it could drive support calls

so in the end yopur better off saying nothing and just leave the upgrade and anytime downtime with it just happen :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

UTV are another eircom reseller so they will give you whatever eircom are sending through the line

True, but UTV themselfs have no upgrade info on their website...unlike BT and when I called them their not aware of anything

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

nuxxx wrote: »
    When will people relise speedtest does NOT respesent a accurate ping time test, 1 test maybe be 100 next 20.....
    I would have assumed that the test would have been run at least twice to rule out any traffic on the line affecting anything...

So in that case. Speedtest is FINE for pings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

i didnt get my upgrade yet ( Farranfore exchange --- suppose to be july 26th :mad: ) still 3 mbit (line 45 db, snr 25 db )-- any thoughts?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I meant yes in a ideal world...of course best you could hope for is perhaps e-mails being sent out explaining the upgrade and advising there might be some downtime, but by doing this it could drive support calls

so in the end yopur better off saying nothing and just leave the upgrade and anytime downtime with it just happen :)

My post wasnt meant to disagre with you (for a change:)) It was directed at Padigo.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I would have assumed that the test would have been run at least twice to rule out any traffic on the line affecting anything...

So in that case. Speedtest is FINE for pings.

really? according to dos i have 14 ms pings stable to dublin servers
    according to speedtest i have 50ms 77ms 104ms 55ms

Yes its quite accurate indeed.

Attitude problem again there nuxxx. ;)

just proving my point nothin more.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

dub45 wrote: »
    Don't forget that llu is not a panacea - you are still dependent on copper wire.
    I have Smart but my line is still not the best - many Smart customers find themselves in a similar position. And in what way are are others 'light years' better? Many people are perfectly happy with Eircom they generally give reliable speeds and have a reliable billing service - they don't throttle people.

Look at NTL's lousy customer service for example how does that make them 'light years' better?

ntls 20 meg broadband for 40euro a month is light years better than eircoms 3meg broadband for 73 a month!
    smarts 15meg uncontended broadband for 80 a month including free phonecalls is lightyears better
    and magnet are about to launch 50 meg as if their 8/8meg up and down service wasnt already lightyears better !

come on man ,open your eyes,all these services represent better value and better speeds,better better better,even eircom has crap customer service,they try and get u off the phone as fast as possible while answering as little of your questions as possible

Alun wrote: »
    Go to the command line interface (in privileged mode) and type in "sh dsl int atm0"

If you're on a business account then it's probably ADSL2+ as well? If so, make sure you've got a fairly recent ADSL chipset firmware installed (or alternatively an up to date IOS version that has a newer version embedded in it). Some of the older versions don't support ADSL2+. The firmware version will be shown in the above output.

thanks mate, unfortunately I've no access to the router so I cannot check any of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 kkibos

Alec76
    I didn't get my upgrade yet as well (Killorglin exchange) still on 3Mb. Sister in law upgraded from 2 to 3Mb alright . Friend at work just checked his at lunch (4Mb bus) and has been upgraded . Will check again after work. Maybe didn't complete job fully at the weekend ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Kenmare

Are my settings wrong? the BT line checker says my line will be done last weekend.

mc6y5e.jpg

If I change the DSL modulation from Multimode to ADSL2+ It dosent train the line or anything. eg no internet. So it looks like I will have to keep the path to multimode. Is there any reason why it looks like im on a 1mb package. I think im paying for 3mb :|

Also I have a problem.....

No way in hell did I download that much lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Kenmare wrote: »

Also I have a problem.....

No way in hell did I download that much lol.

You've probably been throttled by BT for exceeding your cap. Check the BT thread. If you are talking to BT support I wouldn't tell them that you have a dedicated downloading rig :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

speedtest has never been acurate for me either. it tells me my line speed is at 0.35Mb -> 0.5Mb/s but if i download something it will come down close to the 2Mb linespeed usually everytime. the pings are usually off too. there's better ways to test your linespeed than that site imho.

ye i think its manually better to test things than use automated scripts and websites!

for pings either do a simple ping command or a tracert
    and for download speeds dl a large file from ftp.heatnet.ie

That way you physically see your stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Kenmare

ElNino wrote: »
    You've probably been throttled by BT for exceeding your cap. Check the BT thread. If you are talking to BT support I wouldn't tell them that you have a dedicated downloading rig :D

Belive me, I was throttled a few days ago :|

speedtest.net gave me a result of 21kb/sec downstream :O

Nah its been on 1024kb for a bit of time now.

The funny thing is.......... I didnt actually download much this month..... It was around the 30gb mark....hmmmm:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

If i was you id change my security policy on the Wireless. (if you have it on)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

So atm the Carlow exchange is due for its upgrade "Post September"

Does that mean October or could it be months after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

So was rejoicing at the speed upgrade till I tested out ping.:(
    Popped in here, realised I wasn't alone... so for those of us who can live without the extra bandwidth but want the better latency these are the apparent options?:
    (A) Wait it out and hope Eircom will turn it off... though I gather there's some pessimism here
    (B) Phone up and try and get Eircom to switch interleaving to fastpath
    (C) Switch to the 3 Meg package
    (D) Switch to another ISP

Can anyone confirm whether they had any luck with (B)?

• Advertisement

hiya!

I believe eircom said the high levels of interleaving will be switched off after the upgrades, but i HIGHLY doubt this. Half of peoples lines on the 7.6 connection would straight away become unstable.

So why would they do it after? It makes no sence to me, what i see happening is all the gamers downgrading. Other ISPS have to follow Eircoms route during the upgrade, they have no choice, its not there engineers doing the upgrade.

I have excellent linestats but i downgraded to 2mb because i seen this problem coming!

Well thats my view i might be wrong , they may switch it off, but i doubt it strongly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement