Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

true, but the rules have changed a bit over the years for the sake of being different. Pitch size, Match time length etc.

Regarding Opel, I agree with you. I'll never understand branding and marketing. Sometimes its just silly.

Anyway, picked up a new netgear to replace my silly eircom 2247 router. SNR IS better. It only went up a few notches but its much more stable now. Hovers around the 14db mark now. Before, it went from 8-12 all the time.

On 3 meg atm. My exchange hasnt been upgraded yet. Doubt my line is good enough for 8 megs and with the interleaving nonsense thats going on ill probly drop dwon a package.,

Ill miss my good contention ratio tho... :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

Getting upgraded on the 6th of August, so does not mean I will have to wait
    till semptember to know If I'm getting a download cap increase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Getting upgraded on the 6th of August, so does not mean I will have to wait
    till semptember to know If I'm getting a download cap increase?
    Nobody knows, unfortunately.

Don't worry. Most of em don't enforce the caps anyway.

Kirby wrote: »
    Don't worry. Most of em don't enforce the caps anyway.
    UTV do. BT don't. Eircom don't. I can't speak for any of the others.

• Advertisement

Yeah, sometimes I go over the cap a few gig every now and then. We might know if people who have been upgraded last week check their usage page the next month.

Yeah, sometimes I go over the cap a few gig every now and then. We might know if people who have been upgraded last week check their usage page the next month.
    Any usage page I've ever seen doesn't show the allowence limit, just what you have downloaded yourself since the last reset. Again, I have only seen a few ISP's, so I cannot speak for them all.

On my Eircom usage page it has the download allowance limit shown.(40gb)

On my Eircom usage page it has the download allowance limit shown.(40gb)
    40GB? Is that for an older business package or have they upped the limit for the new 7.6Mb package?

Yeah the older business package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

DECEiFER wrote: »
    40GB? Is that for an older business package or have they upped the limit for the new 7.6Mb package?

Its just for this month, going back down to 30Gb again.Same with new 3Mb connection, which is 30Gb now and will go back to 20Gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

The Eircom stats page on their website tells you how much you've downloaded and your cap. On another thread people who have been upgraded already said their cap for this month had been raised to 50GB on the 7.6mb package but for someone who got upgraded to the 3mb it said their new cap of 30GB was being downgraded back to 20GB next month:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055344355

daxroc wrote: »
    -> AFAIK
    Eircom have only rolled out this upgrade on two exchanges in the Dublin area and are currently in "Talks" with third party contractors for nationwide roll out. ( What do eircom staff actually do ? )

-> IMHO
    I would say these suggested upgrades will not be in effect for at least the remainder of this year (2008) to mid 2009. I do hope they prove me wrong.
    Umm, what?
    http://eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/displayNews.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0960334237.1217507199@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadeekefhkkicefeceiedffndffj.0&site=Res&chanId=0&newsItemId=eircom%20broadband%20Speeds%20Upgrade%20Programme
    Most of the country will have the upgrade in two weeks. Many were upgraded last weekend.

No its for business and residential customers. People on 2mb are going up to 3, while 3mb is going to 7.6mb. For residential customers it is not adsl2 so you won't have to change routers unless you are on a business package that is getting the 12mb adsl2 upgrade. However, unless your router is very old it should already be adsl2 ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

There have been more upgraded ( should have checked ) my exchange is not listed on the 9th Aug upgrades ?

Is this just for the 4 - 6 meg customers ?
    What about customers that still have the pre-adsl2 modems...

I think you should probably have a read through the last 10 or so pages, any information you need is there, doing this would also have stopped you going off half-cocked.in your previous post.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

-> AFAIK
    Eircom have only rolled out this upgrade on two exchanges in the Dublin area and are currently in "Talks" with third party contractors for nationwide roll out. ( What do eircom staff actually do ? )

-> IMHO
    I would say these suggested upgrades will not be in effect for at least the remainder of this year (2008) to mid 2009. I do hope they prove me wrong.

The latency issues.
    I agree Eircom only offer one "gaming" package and its appaling. For technical reasons of higher speeds and allowing customers further from the exchanges being able to recieve them, they employ "rate adaptive" DSL which means we can NOT garuntee our service. Amist this is a technique which kills gaming on higher speeds known as INTERLEAVING, on the current gaming package its low ( or off ) and on
    high speed packages its on ( high ) which doubles your latency ( so from 40 you would get about 100 - 140 ) I know that from expierence. ( They dont actually state that in the terms of service etc.. Other ISP's will allow you to switch it off in other countries that is ( Contrary to popular belief EIRCOM still have the monopoly for residential dsl, as its just the same rebranded stool sold to other companys at a reduced ( wholesale ) price ...

On that note
    Time will only tell as they are still to release technical specs on the FUTURE upgrades.

----
    Just wondering why people find the need to cross post , deviate from set topics. I find this quite rude ( filtering out comments that have no reason for being posted ) ?

Best Regards
    Dax

lol @ that whole post :D

I also find it quite rude when people join the forum, read 1 page of a thread that is over 1800 posts and then post a load of BS and assume they know everything.

Just wondering why people find the need to cross post , deviate from set topics. I find this quite rude ( filtering out comments that have no reason for being posted ) ?

Best Regards
    Dax

Not reading a thread at all and then berating those in it, IS actually far more rude. A person new to boards, with 3 posts no less.....shouldn't be having a go at anybody.

Also, nobody is deviating. This is about eircom's upgrade.......and that is what we are discussing. Speeds, Caps, upgrade dates, line attenuation and SNR. That is all relevant information. Stop being a forum nazi and let people discuss things in a casual manner if they want to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Which part of ra-DSL or INTERLEAVING was I incorrect on ? please enlighten me ?

One of those people that think DOS is a god send eh ...

What is this about DOS? I made no comment about DOS...

Where are you getting that crap about only having two exchanges upgraded? See my attached text file. I got this from a very helpful post earlier in the thread, I attached it for your convenience as reading a whole thread seems beyond you.

The whole topic of interleaving was brought up and discussed at length a good few pages back. It is clear from your post above that you only read one page. You heard someone talk about poor pings for gaming, and decided to come on and lecture us all on interleaving.

As for RADSL, it is not used in Ireland. RADSL will compensate for a poor line by "stealing" bandwidth from the upstream frequency band, thus always guaranteeing a constant download speed. I think you believe rate adaptive means that the modem will sync up at different rates depending on the line quality. This is totally different.

Get your facts straight.

If you dont like idle talk on a thread, report it.
    If you dont like a poster, ignore them.

Please press this link to add me to your ignore list. That way you will not see my replies and therefore not be exposed to my rude cross posts, and my deviation from the set topics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Ladies, lets play nice...

I love you all :)

Dax, your boorish attitude is not making you any friends. I'd step down right now and examine exactly what has happened, and then try to put yourself in the shoes of a regular poster who is told off by a brand new poster, for no good reason. How would you react? Not very well by the looks of things so far.

If you don't like the topic, don't read it. :(
    If you don't like the forums, don't read them. :mad:
    If you don't like me, tough ****. :) (my poor attempt at humor)

And finally, if you think you know something, verify the information's integrity before you post it using a manner of certainty.

Now, to head back on-topic. I have emailed Eircom Support, as I showed a few pages back. It's in relation the erratic speeds and high interleaving. I'm still awaiting a response. Although, I don't hold out much hope. Eircom's pencil pushers are not the most efficient of people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

daxroc, may I suggest you actually read a thread in future before bitching about the information contained in it,

back on topic lads,

I was playing a few rounds of Battlefield 2142 last night. I was on the DGK Titan server, which I assume is in the UK. I was pinging a steady 54ms-56ms. A friend of mine from Exeter joined me, and him using Sky broadband, could only get 60ms-70ms. This was the same before the upgrade when I was getting pings in the 30's, he was in the 60's. There must be severe interleaving on his line!

latency can depend on multiple factors like server load , internal network load & congestion , varying speeds could be contributed to RA-ADSL ( negotiates the best speed for your cable / distance / equipment? ) and yes high interleaving does double / triple it afaik , altho I'm no network engineer.

[edit]

Poor equipment on the local side can also contribute to high latency. Cables , router , firewalls, wifi etc
    I have had routers that add 10ms + to response times. Which is why I built my own running on opensource sw
    My higher latency was interleaving. The server load was not over the top. Better pings would be attainable on that server, if my connection allowed for it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

edited thread title to make it clear that this upgrade also applys to resellers of eircom's bit-stream products

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hi

I'm in Dundalk on 3 Meg so I decided to ask Eircom about a price reduction until the upgrade, got their answer today. I knew the answer would be NO but at least anyone whose line cant handle 7.6 will get 3 Meg for 29.99, I dont know it this was generally known. No date yet for Dundalk.

Sent: 26 July 2008 22:58
    To: Press_Office
    Subject: Broadband upgrade Dundalk

Hi

I have 3 Meg Home Professional broadband on Dundalk exchange, upgrade to 7.6 delayed until "Post September" along with some other exchanges.

I think Eircom should give consideration to reducing the price for customers like me until the upgrade happens, please pass on this suggestion and let me know the response. I will be paying 48.40 for 3 Meg while others are getting 7.6 for that price and those uprgraded from 2 to 3 will pay only 29.99 for their 3 Meg. Hardly seems fair unless there is a price increase of which I'm not aware for those who already got upgraded. Is there any better information for Dundalk than "Post September" as there are rumours and speculation on the Net that some upgrades won't happen until mid 2009?

I look forward to an early reply and please be advised that I may publish the details for the benefit of others awaiting the upgrades.

Regards
    Paddy

Dear Paddy,

Thank you for your email.

Due to a transmission upgrade required at the Dundalk exchange, speed upgrades to broadband customers in the Dundalk area unfortunately will not come into affect until later this year. Please be assured that we are addressing this issue as a matter of urgency and are in the process of finalising a completion date. While I don't have a specific date, I am not aware of any reason why Dundalk's upgrade will be delayed until 2009. I apologise for any inconvenience caused however I would be happy to update you once a date has been determined in the coming weeks.

The broadband speed upgrades are taking place on a phased basis to qualifying customers on eircom's 2Mb, 3Mb, 4Mb and 6Mb broadband products nationwide. eircom is responding directly to customer needs and levels of broadband usage by introducing these increased speeds at no additional cost to the customer. Although I appreciate that the delay in upgrading your broadband speed is a cause of frustration, the upgrade is being provided free of charge and once the upgrades are completed, qualifying customers are receiving at least 50% faster speeds than provided through their original broadband package. Customers currently on 3Mb broadband products whose lines will not deliver speeds greater than 3Mb, due to their distance from the exchange or the quality of their line, will remain on the broadband speed they originally subscribed to but will be moved to the lower eircom broadband home plus price plan of €29.99.

Best Regards

Press Officer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I'm in Dundalk and also have a 3MB connection, here's the press office reply to me, no actual date but they say early September:
    Speed increases on the eircom 2Mb broadband product and the eircom 3Mb broadband product will come into effect in the Dundalk exchange in early September. The 2Mb product will be upgraded to 3Mb and the 3Mb product will be upgraded to 7.6Mb. The 3Mb broadband product upgrade to 7.6Mb will not utilise ADSL2+ technology.

The Dundalk exchange will be ADSL2+ upgraded in three to four weeks time. Once this upgrade is completed, customers served on this exchange who wish to avail of our 10Mb or 12Mb product, and whose telephone line qualifies, can contact our broadband customer service team on 1800 242 558 to place an order.

Best Regards
    Press Officer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

daxrox, u came into this thread, make pure faulty and invalid "points" without even reading the thread or at least a few pages and now your blaming others for having a go at you.. sober up buddy.

It has been explained to me via eircoms technical support as being a rate adaptive technology.
    Just to clarify, rate adaptive technology != RADSL.

Oh no, not again. :(

Dax, please don't fight back. If you have a problem, report it. Otherwise, PM him.

Please, both of you, don't further destroy this thread with personal insults and whatnot. It's bad enough already.

• Advertisement

Didn't Eircom already use radsl before the upgrades? When my line stats ever deteriorated (using a faulty filter etc) my line would sync at a lower speed and I've come across it happening with others too.

Also, daxroc to be fair you did start your time on this site by insulting others without doing any research and making grand statements that were simply not based on any fact(that eircom have only upgraded 2 exchanges??) so I'm not surprised others weren't quite so polite with you.
    Also, can you please clarify what you mean when referring to some upgrade you got that increased the latency? If you are refering to the 2mb to 3mb then that is wrong because for the 3mb no interleaving has been changed (as reported by people who got that upgrade) and it only affects the 7.6mb package:

"I downgraded a connection recently because of the same issue. Why upgrade a package when the only benefit is for large downloads / large packets. Which is fine for joe user who downloads music and web pages etc , but horrendous for a gamer increasing their latency to the point where they get shot, blown up , run over ... before they even see it.

My bigest problem was with the cost of the upgrade , double the price for a one meg increese , only to find out that interleaving get switched to "high" which results in dialup latency. No where did it say that this was a high interleaving product when I upgraded , I even asked before I did would it effect my latency".

What are you on about here? Were you talking about going from 2 to 3mb or are you on a business connection where interleaving is set to high anyway for all packages? If it's just the plain old residential one then i really don't understand what you're saying because users on the 3mb never reported ping problems until they were upgraded to 7.6mb.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement