Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

rc28 wrote: »
    Didn't Eircom already use radsl before the upgrades? When my line stats ever deteriorated (using a faulty filter etc) my line would sync at a lower speed and I've come across it happening with others too.
    Yup. Thats rate adaptive. But I dont think it is RADSL as far as I know.

Anyways enough about that. :P

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Oh no, not again. :(

Dax, please don't fight back. If you have a problem, report it. Otherwise, PM him.

Please, both of you, don't further destroy this thread with personal insults and whatnot. It's bad enough already.

I wholeheartedly agree. No personal abuse guys (it'll just get you banned and ruin the thread)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Yup. Thats rate adaptive. But I dont think it is RADSL as far as I know.

Anyways enough about that. :P

In a surprising bit of forward thinking on Eircoms part all Eircom Dsl is RADSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

I'm on the Loughrea exchange which is not due to be upgraded until next weekend I thought.....but got disconnected about half an hour ago and I am now downloading at 761kB/s.

Happy days :) I hope it lasts

Pinging boards.ie is up from 15ms two days ago to 40ms now.....

303426097.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lads no personal abuse, if there's anymore I'll be handing out bans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

No gona create new thread but want to ask 2 questions here, below are line stats on my DSL Modem / Router

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 2048 kbps 256 kbps
    Line Attenuation 18 db 5 db
    Noise Margin 17 db 21 db

Now as you can see Im on 2Mbs at the moment, Ive put throught an upgrade for 12Mbs, now question are, what are my line stats like for a possible 12Mbs connection??? THe 2nd question and kinda ties in with the 1st is.

I have a netgear dm111p netgear modem aswell as the DG834G (as above) I want to use the dm111p rather than the router as I am trying to implement a different solution, only issue is while the wireless netgear modem will sync with dsl no problem easily, the dm111p wont sync for anywhere between 1 hour - 3 hours or sometimes it wont sync with dsl at all, were not talking bout authenticating or anything just sync, would that indicate my lines quality are ****e?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

daxroc wrote: »
    rc28

On the connection I recently downgraded It was a 4mb business back to a 3mb Home professional. Due to the high Interleaving issues.
    Ok fair enough but I think you should switch to the 3mb residential(instead of business) package because I have heard a few times on here that Eircom turn on interleaving for all of its business products. Can smeone verify that they've heard this too?

No gona create new thread but want to ask 2 questions here, below are line stats on my DSL Modem / Router

Connection Speed 2048 kbps 256 kbps
    Line Attenuation 18 db 5 db
    Noise Margin 17 db 21 db

Now as you can see Im on 2Mbs at the moment, Ive put throught an upgrade and swap over to IBB for 12Mbs, now question are, what are my line stats like for a possible 12Mbs connection??? THe 2nd question and kinda ties in with the 1st is.

I have a netgear dm111p netgear modem aswell as the DG834G (as above) I want to use the dm111p rather than the router as I am trying to implement a different solution, only issue is while the wireless netgear modem will sync with dsl no problem easily, the dm111p wont sync for anywhere between 1 hour - 3 hours or sometimes it wont sync with dsl at all, were not talking bout authenticating or anything just sync, would that indicate my lines quality are ****e?
    Your line attenuation is very good but your noise margin could be better as it's quite low for such good attenuation(try different filters or a different router)The 12mb product uses adsl2 so with that attenuation you should get 12mb no problem depending on how much your noise margin drops by.
    Sorry, I can't help with your second question about modems/routers.

When I put your line stats into this I get the following:
    "Your ADSL2+ speeds are likely to be in the range 18600Kbps to 20200Kbps"
    ie your line can handle adsl2 speeds in the region of 18-20mb

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

rc28 I never said that Eircom did not use RADSL , I actually said they did. Afaik its always been this way ( back to i-stream )

Actually you are wrong but do keep digging :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Your line attenuation is very good but your noise margin could be better as it's quite low for such good attenuation(try different filters or a different router)The 12mb product uses adsl2 so with that attenuation you should get 12mb no problem depending on how much your noise margin drops by.
    Sorry, I can't help with your second question about modems/routers.

When I put your line stats into this I get the following:
    "Your ADSL2+ speeds are likely to be in the range 18600Kbps to 20200Kbps"
    ie your line can handle adsl2 speeds in the region of 18-20mb

If thats true then the fact it wont sync is very odd, anyone have any suggestions then I have changed modem/filters and even without filters aswell

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Is there anywhere you can check what the max speed your line can take?

I am getting an upgrade from 2mb - 3mb next weekend allegedly, but would like to know if there is any point trying to upgrade further past that as I have been thinking about it for a while. All that is assuming the early problems with the upgrades regarding ping speeds etc settle down.

Edit: Just saw rc28's post there. I suppose that answers my question?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

does anyone know how accurate is http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx

has anyone here who has been upgraded had a totally different result when finally upgraded compared to what was been projected on the site when ye input your details?

Gonzo wrote: »

has anyone here who has been upgraded had a totally different result when finally upgraded compared to what was been projected on the site when ye input your details?

No I think it's only accurate in giving you what your line could take with adsl2+ rather than adsl. For example when I put in my line attenuation of 51 and SNR of 25 it says I can get 8mb! Obviously that is impossible with such terrible attenuation but for adsl2+ it says I could get from 3-5mb which is more realistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Gonzo wrote: »

Yup i got really different results. The max the above link said i would get was 4728Kbps. Since the upgrade I am in fact getting the full 7616Kbps and there was no degredation in my line stats. Stability might be an issue down the line but its been fine thus far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

No I think it's only accurate in giving you what your line could take with adsl2+ rather than adsl. For example when I put in my line attenuation of 51 and SNR of 25 it says I can get 8mb! Obviously that is impossible with such terrible attenuation but for adsl2+ it says I could get from 3-5mb which is more realistic.

The dsl estimator seems to put a much greater emphasis on SNR over attenuation. I'm not convinced of this in practice.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

as I said , "As Far As I Know".

If you know where there is technical documentation explain how eircom adapt the rates depending on line quality , distance. I will retract my statement... I'll just keep digging as you put it :D

In other words prove me wrong ?

or perhaps you could actually provide proof for your claims? :)
    for example where did you source your info...links etc

As far as I know isn't a very good source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

With the recently announced speeds from BT of up to 24MB and prices I emailed them to see if the price of 2MB & 3MB will be dropping for those of us that will not be able to get speeds higher than 2 - 3MB.

This is the reply from BT:
    Unfortunately our prices will not be changing anytime soon the only difference is the increase in speed and download/upload limit.

Kind regards,
    Customer Care Team.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    With the recently announced speeds from BT of up to 24MB and prices I emailed them to see if the price of 2MB & 3MB will be dropping for those of us that will not be able to get speeds higher than 2 - 3MB.

This is the reply from BT:

So they're definitely increasing the download cap, I wonder if Eircom will too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

For home users, Is the download and upload allowance added together or is it seperate? ex. 30gb download & 30gb upload or just 30gb?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

So they're definitely increasing the download cap, I wonder if Eircom will too.
    To be honest tho, it doesn't make that much of a difference really with BT because the unwritten rule was the 100Gb cap.

Still tho, nice to have piece of mind that they are officially increasing the caps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Is the Nutley Exchange up to 8MB yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

For home users, Is the download and upload allowance added together or is it seperate? ex. 30gb download & 30gb upload or just 30gb?

I believe it's both added together. But in practice, when your download goes over 100gigs you get throttled. (BT)

I'm on the Palmerstown exchange. And either a lot of people in Palmerstown have left for the long weekend or they have done some sort of upgrade to the exchange. I'm getting pings and speeds which are the best I've ever gotten.

303600101.png

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

Awesome, just came home to see my line upgraded. Passage East exchange, Waterford. Was scheduled for last weekend but it looks like it only happened today. I'm quite a bit from the exchange but the sync is great for the distance. Seems nice and stable too.

Connection Speed 3072 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 60.0 db 31.5 db
    Noise Margin 8.3 db 12.0 db

Nuphor wrote: »
    Awesome, just came home to see my line upgraded. Passage East exchange, Waterford. Was scheduled for last weekend but it looks like it only happened today. I'm quite a bit from the exchange but the sync is great for the distance. Seems nice and stable too.

Whoa, its amazing they even gave you the upgrade with those stats! A couple of others on here with way better stats than that were initially refused the same upgrade last week. I'm happy though as I have attenuation of 51 and was worried I wouldnt be upgraded on august 9th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I am clueless so can anyone please explain if my stats are good, we don't have our speed increase yet.
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) --- 3072 / 384
    SN Margin (dB) --- 22.50 / 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) --- 13.50 / 7.00
    CRC Errors --- 0 / 1

galwayrush wrote: »
    I am clueless so can anyone please explain if my stats are good, we don't have our speed increase yet.
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) --- 3072 / 384
    SN Margin (dB) --- 22.50 / 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) --- 13.50 / 7.00
    CRC Errors --- 0 / 1
    Excellent stats. You should have no problem getting 7.6Mbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Excellent stats. You should have no problem getting 7.6Mbps

Fantastic, cheers for that. I am between .5 and.75 miles from the exchange, the last half of our line to the house is very new, but we were told the first half from the exchange was quite old and not the best so we were worried we might not get the full increase which is listed for the 9th august.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Nuphor wrote: »

I'd take that attenuation figure with a pinch of salt. Still, that's definitely on a road without a lot of people living on it or where broadband is not high on people's agenda. Those sort of noise figures would need no crosstalk to be present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

These stats are good enough to get 7.6 no? I wonder why it wont sync at any more than 4mb??

Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
    Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 04:16:05:02
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 4096 Kbps 384 Kbps
    Noise Margin 19.6 dB 18.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 36.0 dB 17.0 dB
    Output Power 8.4 dBm 0.1 dBm

• Advertisement

I'd take that attenuation figure with a pinch of salt.
    You mean the router is lying?:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement