Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

****ing Eircom, they cant do anything right.

My stats are excellent and I am getting the full 7.6mb when downloading, but the service is a joke besides the extra speed.It keeps timing out, which is destroying online gaming and browsing, general browsing feels way slower now than it did on 3mb and the connection keeps dropping every hour or so which is doing my head in.

The extra speed was nice the first few days, but its in no way worth it over the hassle its causing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Jumpy wrote: »
    These stats are good enough to get 7.6 no? I wonder why it wont sync at any more than 4mb??

Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
    Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 04:16:05:02
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 4096 Kbps 384 Kbps
    Noise Margin 19.6 dB 18.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 36.0 dB 17.0 dB
    Output Power 8.4 dBm 0.1 dBm

hmm mine is almost the same as yours, LIne attenuation 37db and Noise Margin 21db, wonder will i get any more than 4meg when my upgrade finally arrives..... but ive a feeling i'll be goin back to the 3meg package anyway due to latency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

rc28 wrote: »
    You mean the router is lying?:eek:

You get much more accurate and detailed stats from running telnet through DOS

Open CMD as admin and type

telnet 192.168.1.254

then

show all-info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

You get much more accurate and detailed stats from running telnet through DOS

Open CMD as admin and type

telnet 192.168.1.254

then

show all-info

I did that and while it gives loads more info the attenuation and snr figures are exactly the same as what my router shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

Donegal Exchanges scheduled for upgrade over the weekend of 9th August.
    Quigleys Point
    Ramelton
    Raphoe
    Newtowncunningham
    Muff
    Mountcharles
    Moville
    Manorcunningham
    Lifford
    Killybegs
    Killygordon
    Kilmacrenan
    Greencastle
    Glenties
    Falcarragh
    Dunfanaghy
    Carndonagh
    Bridgend
    Bunbeg
    Ballyshannon
    Annagry
    Ardara

Letterkenny - post september?????

transmission upgrade required? surely this is a matter of reconfiguring backhaul for additional bandwidth, a job that should take about 5 minutes max, some of these exchanges are directly linked to letterkenny namely manorcunningham ramelton and kilmacrennan, surely this excuse isnt valid?
    especially for donegals biggest exchange...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

rc28 wrote: »
    I did that and while it gives loads more info the attenuation and snr figures are exactly the same as what my router shows.

Well it says my SNR is 14.5/12 as opposed to 16/12 and it reports CRC errors at 2/1 as opposed to 0/1 from the router. I guess results vary :p

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

I read some one saying that ..if you actually plug you Ethernet cable directly into modem, you will get faster ping times...

3 tests i just ran...

Using router with WEP(security) wireless...ping www.boards.ie average 19ms
    using Ethernet cable into router ..ping... 18ms!
    using direct into modem..ping 18ms!

so that ends that..the wireless with router (secured with WEP) is just as fast. Not going to fight over .01ms!

m.

PS: I'm on BT. And set up a static IP address on my PC(or pc's!). Which I find to be just that little bit faster when surfing the net. Anyone want to know how..just quote me!ill tell ya..
    http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm
    (it looks really hard..but it can be done in about 30 seconds - when u know what your doing, that it!)

just read on the site! good thing to! Downloaded 4 new games this month (demos) and they were 37 GIG alone!! "Mass Effect" over 10 gigs!..ah..i love the net! why buy games in shops when u can buy them on net??anyway..sorry going off subject....

ps: on option 3 ONLY -- ie 3meg or now called 7.6 meg!

http://www.btireland.ie/legalUsage.shtml

m.

RE: BT no download limits...

only in certain areas! for feck sake...

did anyone go over there limits big time? I did 34 gig 2 months ago (not charged)

53 gig last month! sh** !

mattman wrote: »
    I read some one saying that ..if you actually plug you Ethernet cable directly into modem, you will get faster ping times...

The ping time difference would be tiny. The benefit would be in reduced packet loss, I've seen several wireless cards either delay some packets or lose them altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

just read on the site! good thing to! Downloaded 4 new games this month (demos) and they were 37 GIG alone!! "Mass Effect" over 10 gigs!..ah..i love the net! why buy games in shops when u can buy them on net??anyway..sorry going off subject....

ps: on option 3 ONLY -- ie 3meg or now called 7.6 meg!

http://www.btireland.ie/legalUsage.shtml

m.
    There is no Mass Effect Demo, unless you mean you downloaded the full game using EA Link in which case id advise never ever buy anything on that, the ability to download expires after 2 years

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

lmimmfn wrote: »
    There is no Mass Effect Demo, unless you mean you downloaded the full game using EA Link in which case id advise never ever buy anything on that, the ability to download expires after 2 years

but its soooo handy! 2 years! if your not finished by then...forget it!
    yeah full version of mass effect...
    wanted the game at 1pm..had it that night! yippee...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭swoofer

Can I just say that I find it ironic that the Ennis Information Age Town, remember that, is at the end of the queue for software upgrading. = How to shoot oneself in foot.

gb--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

but its soooo handy! 2 years! if your not finished by then...forget it!
    yeah full version of mass effect...
    wanted the game at 1pm..had it that night! yippee...
    it handy alright, but i replay my games so id only use steam for non physical content. Dont forget to download the patch and extra content from the Bioware site before you finish it. Oh yeah and use spacebar to use the abilities, i only discovered that 2 days ago after id finished it grrrr

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I did 34 gig 2 months ago (not charged)

53 gig last month! sh** !

Pah! Amateur! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Demondaze

Upgraded on the 26th along with many others. Had speeds of 4500 kbps for a while and my ping (to www.boards.ie using command prompt) was in the 30s. Router max sync is 5120 kbps.

The speed is now 3.1 MB and the ping is 74.

Would the jump in ping be why YouTube has become so bloody slow for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Youtube is the worst thing for speed testing that there is. I have 20mb and Youtube still sometimes doesnt buffer fast enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Youtube is the worst thing for speed testing that there is. I have 20mb and Youtube still sometimes doesnt buffer fast enough.
    Indeed. It's heavily congested. Can't complain, though, since it is free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

can someone link me to that site that tells you when exchanges are being upgraded?

and does anyone know where abouts in carlow town the carlow exchange is located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

can someone link me to that site that tells you when exchanges are being upgraded?

and does anyone know where abouts in carlow town the carlow exchange is located?

Carlow will be upgraded in September. The exchange is beside the post office between. It's the building the bars on the windows and you'll see Eircom vans often parked inside where the automatic gate is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

304886321.png

:( im on 3mb BT bussiness , for the last 6months internet has been **** some times pages wont load etc...

anyone know when the claregalway exchange is getting done ?

thanks,
    andy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

52.8356727 -6.9312185

flamegrill wrote: »
    Carlow will be upgraded in September. The exchange is beside the post office between. It's the building the bars on the windows and you'll see Eircom vans often parked inside where the automatic gate is.

ah right, cheers for the info

the website i checked was week said "post september" doesn't that mean after september, or has there been an official date set now?

kaizersoze wrote: »
    52.8356727 -6.9312185

thank you :)

This link tells me "post september" http://www.btireland.ie/cgi-bin/upgrade_time

Or is that a seperate upgrade being done by BT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Not a separate upgrade for BT. As resellers of Eircom that is the schedule Eircom have given them.

You could e mail Eircom about Carlow but they probably wont give you a definite date. I e mailed them about Dundalk which is also Post September, see my Post #1859 on Page 124 in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

kaizersoze wrote: »
    52.8356727 -6.9312185

That's very nifty! You wouldn't happen to know where the Arklow exchange is would you? Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    That's very nifty! You wouldn't happen to know where the Arklow exchange is would you? Thanks :)

52.7986677 -6.1554994

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Excellent - thank you :cool: I'm about a mile away from it then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

Lads,

I'm not too hot on stats (see below) but since upgrade I'm going mad with slowness of connecting to web sites. Downloads etc are marvellous but for browsing its nuts...

So do I ring UTV and raise a stink...and will it get me anywhere?

Speedtest.net
    Ping: 105ms (ranges from 90 to 300)
    Down Speed: 6369 kb/s
    Up speed: 302 kb/s

irishisptest.com

Down 5.86 Mbps
    Up 501 Mbps
    Quality of service 82%
    Jitter 0.3 ms
    Packet loss 0.0%

Ping www.boards.ie
    ...packets sent 4, recieved 4, lost 0. Round trip times: minimum 39ms, max 41ms, average 40ms (average can go up to 100ms though)

Netgear DG834N Wireless Router Stats

Down Connection Speed 7616 kbps
    Up Connection Speed 672 kbps
    Line Attenuation Down 12db
    Line Attenuation Up 4.5db
    Noise Margin Down 16.9db
    Noise Margin Up 12.0db

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement