Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

higster wrote: »
    Lads,

I'm not too hot on stats (see below) but since upgrade I'm going mad with slowness of connecting to web sites. Downloads etc are marvellous but for browsing its nuts...

So do I ring UTV and raise a stink...and will it get me anywhere?

Speedtest.net
    Ping: 105ms (ranges from 90 to 300)
    Down Speed: 6369 kb/s
    Up speed: 302 kb/s

irishisptest.com

Down 5.86 Mbps
    Up 501 Mbps
    Quality of service 82%
    Jitter 0.3 ms
    Packet loss 0.0%

Ping www.boards.ie
    ...packets sent 4, recieved 4, lost 0. Round trip times: minimum 39ms, max 41ms, average 40ms (average can go up to 100ms though)

Netgear DG834N Wireless Router Stats

Down Connection Speed 7616 kbps
    Up Connection Speed 672 kbps
    Line Attenuation Down 12db
    Line Attenuation Up 4.5db
    Noise Margin Down 16.9db
    Noise Margin Up 12.0db
    when did you test it? web browsing with utv during the day can sometimes crawl, have you tried using their proxy server for browsing?( search the utv website, i think the NI one is down at the moment, was horribly slow last time i checked so use the other one )

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

hey kaizer you don't happen to know where the bray exchange is? i have a fair idea but would just like confirmation from someone a more in the know.

cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Cremo wrote: »
    hey kaizer you don't happen to know where the bray exchange is? i have a fair idea but would just like confirmation from someone a more in the know.
    I asked this before .. it's somewhere behind the main Post Office on the Quinsborough Road apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Cremo wrote: »

cheers.

53.2053305 -6.1068981

kaizersoze wrote: »
    53.2053305 -6.1068981
    What the hell do those numbers mean??!!??!!? :confused: Are they co ordinates for Google maps or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

do bears poo in the woods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I just got BB from UTV today and its at 5MB and I ordered 3MB. Is this to do with the upgrade because my exchange: BALLINAMORE is on the post september list ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

HOW TO FIND THE LOCATION OF YOUR EXCHANGE

(sorry for the large coloured text, but the question has been asked so often I thought this would be worthwhile to draw attention to this post)

click HERE for a link to two google maps of (I assume all, but I can't be 100% sure) the large and medium capacity eircom exchanges.

According to the profile, someone by the name of 'Alex' created the maps so all credit goes to him for doing all the hard work (I'm not Alex btw), all I did was post a link to his maps. So whoever and wherever you are Alex, I/we salute all your hard work, thanks a mill. :)

unfortunately, my own exchange seems to actually be too small to even make it on the 'medium' list, but hopefully it will be of use to othr people.

I'm pretty sure if you pinpoint your own house you can get the distance in relation to your exchange via google maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they are lattitude and longtitude can be used for any maps :D

cheers Alun and kaizer, yeh i had an inkling it was down by the post office/molloys on the quinnborough road.

thanks to google maps i've found out i'm approx. 1.4km from the exchange. not bad although i know the line is no doubt longer.

counting the hours now until the 9th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

lmimmfn wrote: »
    when did you test it? web browsing with utv during the day can sometimes crawl, have you tried using their proxy server for browsing?( search the utv website, i think the NI one is down at the moment, was horribly slow last time i checked so use the other one )

Around midday. I've auto detect proxy settings on firefox & explorer...whcih proxy server would you use (theres 3 of them on web site)...will this sort my ping? Thanks

cache.utvinternet.com Port 80
    ni-cache.utvinternet.com Port 80
    ie-cache.utvinternet.com Port 80

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Demondaze

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Indeed. It's heavily congested. Can't complain, though, since it is free.
    Youtube is the worst thing for speed testing that there is. I have 20mb and Youtube still sometimes doesnt buffer fast enough.

Duly noted, although I'm still a bit suspicious how my recent decline in YouTube speed coincided with the general speed increase. It can take me 20+ minutes to get a 5 minute clip lately. That said, I was watching some Daily Show earlier using Comedy Central's video streaming and that worked grand, so perhaps it is just YouTube getting on it's picky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

higster wrote: »
    Around midday. I've auto detect proxy settings on firefox & explorer...whcih proxy server would you use (theres 3 of them on web site)...will this sort my ping? Thanks

cache.utvinternet.com Port 80
    ni-cache.utvinternet.com Port 80
    ie-cache.utvinternet.com Port 80
    try openDNS first, i.e. same problem here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055332387

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you can't get youtube vids to cache quicker than they run it's most likely either due to congestion on the youtube end, your ISP or possibly a routing issue.

afaik there was a thread on here a few months back that turned out to be down to the path that the ISP was routing the traffic hitting an overly congested node somewhere along the way.

lots of complaints to said ISP with links to the thread later and the problem was fixed.

I still occasionally get a buffering problem but it's normally around the same time in the evening so I'm thinking it's at the youtube end of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

I just tried to check when I'm getting upgraded on the BT site, but it comes up with invalid number.

Is there any other way of checking?

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

I just tried to check when I'm getting upgraded on the BT site, but it comes up with invalid number.

Is there any other way of checking?

Check which list your exchange is on from the pdf docs in this post.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56643712&postcount=1299

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

My exchange was upgraded but it wasn't on any of those lists.

Check which list your exchange is on from the pdf docs in this post.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56643712&postcount=1299

I'm actually not sure what my exchange is called. I'm based in Ring, Co.Waterford and there doesn't seem to be any sign of it on the lists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 bored888

Can someone shine some light on the upload speeds too? I'm on a 2mb line which should go to 6mb this Saturday, will my upload still stay at 256k ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

No the 2mb is going to 3mb and your upload is going to 384kbps

rc28 wrote: »
    No the 2mb is going to 3mb and your upload is going to 384kbps

Err i thought the 2mb were going to 3mb and then BT said now its 6mb

the 3 mb was going to 8 mb which is now going to 24mb?

or something like that

Their site says so http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

bored888 wrote: »
    Err i thought the 2mb were going to 3mb and then BT said now its 6mb

the 3 mb was going to 8 mb which is now going to 24mb?

or something like that

Their site says so http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb.shtml
    Go read the thread. This has been said over and over again. Eircom and BT are separate companies, with separate upgrades.

Ffs read the title of this thread and read bt's website. BT is rollng out its own adsl2+ upgrade to only a few exchanges while eircom is upgrading every exchange and this will also affect resellers like BT. So if you are not on one of bt's adsl2+ unbundled exchanges then you will only be getting upgraded to 3mb, while the 3mb goes to 7.6mb

cian1500ww wrote: »
    My exchange was upgraded but it wasn't on any of those lists.

I don't doubt that. A couple of exchanges that werent meant to be done till next weekend were upgraded last weekend.
    jamieh wrote:
    I'm actually not sure what my exchange is called. I'm based in Ring, Co.Waterford and there doesn't seem to be any sign of it on the lists!

Try your number on the Smart BB checker. It should tell you what exchange you're on.
    www.smarttelecom.ie

Ffs read the title of this thread and read bt's website. BT is rollng out its own adsl2+ upgrade to only a few exchanges while eircom is upgrading every exchange and this will also affect resellers like BT. So if you are not on one of bt's adsl2+ unbundled exchanges then you will only be getting upgraded to 3mb, while the 3mb goes to 7.6mb

I am on an ADSL2+ exchange and according to BT Ireland im due to go to 6mb this saturday (unless the tech on the phone was lying to me and taking into account distance from Terenure one)

I wanted to originally know what the upload speed was going to.

This is the wrong thread in which to ask that question- there is another one for bt's adsl2+ upgrades.

Mods, please change the title of this thread where it says '8mb' to 7.6mb because it is leading to confusion between bt's 8mb service going to 24mb and eircom's adsl1 upgrades. Who put it as 8mb in the first place?

Try your number on the Smart BB checker. It should tell you what exchange you're on.
    www.smarttelecom.ie

Hey,

I just tried that and I'm on the Ring exchange. If the exchange isn't on the pdf', how do I go about finding out when the upgrade is due to take place?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Who put it as 8mb in the first place?
    Id hazzard a guess at the OP :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Damn, I am on the Newport exchange in North Tipp . . . which does not even show up on the medium exchanges map.

I wonder when I should expect the upgrade? I was talking to an Eircom worker who I know well, and he says that work is scheduled for the exchange soon but is not fully sure if it is for the BB upgrades or not.

• Advertisement

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Id hazzard a guess at the OP :)

No I remember a mod merged at least two threads that were along the same lines and then changed the title.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement