Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Is that one of bt's llu exchanges? Maybe they are getting mixed up?

No idea, iv been out of the whole broadband race for sometime. Both Eircom and EsatBTs website stated that weekend but the guy on the phone said it wasnt done.

Ill check my speed when I get home I suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Is that one of bt's llu exchanges?

It's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Ourlad

Has anyone off the Balbriggan exchange with Eircom being upgraded yet? Or does anyone have a date when Balbriggan will get their upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Sully wrote: »
    According to the information supplied by Eircom, my exchange in Tramore should have been upgraded the weekend of July 26th. Now, from speaking to EsatBT they said its not yet been done. Why the delay?
    same issue with farranfore exchange. that the message to people expecting their upgrade on 9th august--- it is not gonna happen for some exchanges which on the list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Ourlad wrote: »
    Has anyone off the Balbriggan exchange with Eircom being upgraded yet? Or does anyone have a date when Balbriggan will get their upgrade?

Balbriggan is planned this week end ... fingers crossed :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Ourlad

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Balbriggan is planned this week end ... fingers crossed :rolleyes:

Hopefully goes ahead, i wont hold my breath though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Apologies to tim131, you kinda caught me on a bad day. NO excuse tho, I was out of order and I am sorry for going bananas 2 pages back. :)

we did raise a couple of important points though.
    Any important info should be put in the first post, edited in by a mod in my opinion.
    maybe it should.

I'd be more of the opinion that for threads like this where there is a mountain of info to get through that there should be a mod option to put a sticky post into the thread where they can post all the relevant information which would sit at the top of every (or every other) page of the thread.

Maybe even if it was one that only appeared on the first few views or until you've posted to te thread. That way it would be there for anyone coming to the thread fresh but wouldn't get in everyone elses way. maybe that's one for the next version of vbulletin. (minus my fee, of course). ;)
    kleefarr wrote: »
    no, I just need a(nother) holiday.
    bored888 wrote: »
    i dare you to read all 133 pages of this thread!!

you can't dare me to do that, I already have. you can dare me to read it a second time though.

on a lighter note, does anyone know what day/time the upgrades are likely to happen?

I'm assuming we'll all need to disconnect and reconnect for the new speeds to be detected but I don't want to spend all day rebooting my modem. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

vibe666 wrote: »

on a lighter note, does anyone know what day/time the upgrades are likely to happen?

I'm assuming we'll all need to disconnect and reconnect for the new speeds to be detected but I don't want to spend all day rebooting my modem. :)

1am afaik

you wont have to reboot your router, but it might help you synch quicker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Last weekend I asked UTV to downgrade me to the new 3Mb package. This is their emailed reply.
    Hi, I have been advised that Eircom are having some teething problems with their exchange upgrades but that these should be sorted out within a reasonable period of time. The problem is that they may automatically still charge for downgrading so I would ask that, in the interim, you log a fault with us by emailing support@u.tv and take it from there.

Thanks for your email, sorry for the delay in response.

I'm not happy. I didn't ask for excuses, I asked for a downgrade. Teething problems or not, it's unacceptable to charge one for a service that is having problems, on a nationwide scale. But, I was willing to bite the bullet so long as they downgraded my line free of charge.

It's not over yet, I will be pushing this further.

To begin, I have sent this reply.
    Hi <UTV Support Person's Name>,

To be honest, I'm not willing to jump through Eircom's hoops only to be left right where I began. I doubt these teething problems are going to go anytime soon, and I do think that if they were willing to cite such problems, then they should have put a general communication out to both their home, business, and wholesale customers. It has been three weeks already, so in their book, what is a "reasonable period of time"?

Second of all, if there would be a charge for downgrading, what is the cost? Of course, I'd rather not have Eircom scam us both into a downgrade charge, as they are still charging all their customers, including yourselves, full price even though they are having teething problems. I don't smell any discounts being offered to anyone because of it. It's just a shame that these cowboys are allowed to get away with whatever they want at will.

So, if you can, please answer to me the two main questions.

1. At what point does a reasonable period of time turn into a long period of time, because I'd like to know if they intend on keeping us waiting for these problems to be resolved still in months to come? If you could give me an honest timeframe, I'd be grateful.
    2. What would be the cost in downgrading, if I was to have to bear the burdon of paying?

With this information from you, it will help me make a decision.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,
    Dave.

I don't intend on paying the charge, unless it's a last resort. I am, for now, just investigating different avenues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

what i find just as disgraceful is that you're in tralee and on the limerick exchange :\

• Advertisement

what i find just as disgraceful is that you're in tralee and on the limerick exchange :\
    Oh, you're looking at my signature? No, that's just the Limerick speed test server. There's 3 in Ireland on the speetest.net site. Limerick, Galway, and Dublin. I'm actually on the Killerisk Exchange in Tralee.

ah right fair enough, i never figured that :P nah its just my exchange is about 40 miles away yet there's an exchange in my town...

ah right fair enough, i never figured that :P nah its just my exchange is about 40 miles away yet there's an exchange in my town...
    I doubt you're connected to an exchange 40 miles away. Where you hear that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Got an email from digiweb about 20mins ago.

Telling me they have upgraded my connection from 3mb, to a max of 7.6mb.

Ran a speed test and got download speed of 2.62, so figured maybe reset router, but same result. :rolleyes:

Seems kinda dumb they tell me they upgraded the line, and they haven't actually done it yet?

1am afaik

you wont have to reboot your router, but it might help you synch quicker

after midnight tonight or tomorrow night? :o

sorry, just getting all excited. :)

Well i live in tullamore and 'portlaoise.eircom.net' is part of my hostmark
    DECEiFER wrote: »
    I doubt you're connected to an exchange 40 miles away. Where you hear that?

Well i live in tullamore and 'portlaoise.eircom.net' is part of my hostmark
    That means nothing. People living in Shannon get limerick.eircom.net. It's just a DNS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

can anyone tell me what time during the weekend did the upgrade happen?

i'm due an upgrade this weekend and just wanna know if i've to edit some crons that i have planned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Heres a email i sent over 2 weeks ago

Hi,

I currently have the 2 MB home package from eircom in the **** exchange.
    Are the upgrades going ahead this weekend? And if so,
    will everyone going to 3mb be put on fastpath as interleaving causes high latency and ping times.

For people going to 7.6 meg(which my line can easily handle) will increased interleaving be placed on the line?

Regards,

Dear **** ******

Thank you for your email and apologies for the delay in responding.

Broadband speed upgrades on eircom's 2Mb and 3Mb broadband products took place in the ******* exchange over the weekend of 26th July. Our network designers are currently working on a solution to reduce overall latency and I would be happy to contact you again when an implementation date for this solution is finalised.

Best Regards

Press Officer

Took them two weeks to reply! Ah well i hope they do find a solution to this latency prob, instead of lieing to me on the phone saying im gona get fathpath!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

Hey...Question..

Has ANYONE ever being charged extra for going over your limit with BT ?

I'm on 3meg(7.6 on sat!)..and have 29gigs downloaded so far and its only being 8 days !

What is fair usage? 50gigs? 100gigs? 200gigs?

On that note : I was only 14gigs yesterday..and its now 29! I think that usage checker is not working..Its just not possible I downloaded that much..
    only use it for watching Simpson's, home and away(me sis!) south park etc..

and of course I have 128K blues radio playing 24 hours a day! Surely that could not count for the massive increase? I have wireless and its WPA secure. Any Ideas? Thanks all...

Oh yes...I'm on "Call of Duty 4" multilayer at least 3 hours a day! brilliant!

m.

http://www.btireland.ie/legalUsage.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

mattman wrote: »

m.

hf while it lasts

nuxxx wrote: »
    hf while it lasts

what ya on about?

m.

ps: see last message posted..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

Hey...Question..

Has ANYONE ever being charged extra for going over your limit with BT ?

I'm on 3meg(7.6 on sat!)..and have 29gigs downloaded so far and its only being 8 days !

On that note : I was only 14gigs yesterday..and its now 29! I think that usage checker is not working..Its just not possible I downloaded that much..
    only use it for watching Simpson's, home and away(me sis!) south park etc..

and of course I have 128K blues radio playing 24 hours a day! Surely that could not count for the massive increase? I have wireless and its WPA secure. Any Ideas? Thanks all...

m.

From Point 5 of the fair usage policy, it says there is 'no monthly usage allowance for Option 3 customers'. So you can't be charged extra.

I think fair usage policy depends on area, because if you are a heavy user and are downloading alot, you are affecting the other people on your exchange.
    So maybe if you download until they start to throttle your connection. You would know the maximum you can download.
    And if you download off peak times you should be okay, since less would be using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Hey...Question..

Only one true way to find out.
    I'd say, go for 350gigs and see how you get on.:)

Then come back here with a detailed report.:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

kaizersoze wrote: »

I concur. Excellent idea kaizer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

after midnight tonight or tomorrow night? :o

sorry, just getting all excited. :)

haha you and me both pal

yea i'm sure this thread will be hopping as soon as the first upgrades start rolling in anyway...

kaizersoze wrote: »

I'm not gona download 350 gigs just for the sake of it!
    But when u have a connection of 7 or in some places 24meg!! its hard not to go over 50--100 gigs!?!?

Ill keep goin..and see..at end of month! why be with anyone one else! when bt are the best?!?! epically UTV!

remember children, with great power comes great responsibility. :)

remember children, with great power comes great responsibility. :)
    The responsibility to exploit it. ;)

Go mad! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

GrumPy wrote: »
    Got an email from digiweb about 20mins ago.

Telling me they have upgraded my connection from 3mb, to a max of 7.6mb.

Ran a speed test and got download speed of 2.62, so figured maybe reset router, but same result. :rolleyes:

Seems kinda dumb they tell me they upgraded the line, and they haven't actually done it yet?

Same here. Digiweb are very quick to send out emails that don't have the full information. One of the missing pieces of info was when this is going to happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement