Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Proiry park 2->3Mb Decent ping.

306862218.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The ping is just horrible :mad:
    306866358.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    The ping is just horrible :mad:
    306866358.png
    Those Speedtest.net pings are incorrect. Do a DOS ping to the same server. I bet it's 40-50ms.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Those Speedtest.net pings are incorrect. Do a DOS ping to the same server. I bet it's 40-50ms.

Yes, but a ping to boards yesterday was 15ms, today its 37ms. This is shíte, do they lower interleaving after a while? has the ping for those upgraded 2 weeks ago improved? have i any choice but to drop to 3meg so i can game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Im on the Swords exchage

306873209.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭MrParanoid

My modem had its speeds changed, but speedtest:

306875779.png

what the f is going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

dude, i really think you need to reboot your modem.

I'd be upset with that if it was ISDN! :P

(aside from the upload).

make sure when you do the test that there's nothing else using your connection or it'll screw with the results.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Yes, but a ping to boards yesterday was 15ms, today its 37ms. This is shíte, do they lower interleaving after a while? has the ping for those upgraded 2 weeks ago improved? have i any choice but to drop to 3meg so i can game?
    No improvement so far. Interleaving is still quite high. I don't know when to expect it to drop. I'm trying to convince UTV to give me a free downgrade at the moment. It's not going well, so I may have to fork out the fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 seansshack

I'm on the ferrbybank exchange in Waterford.

Was on 3 meg package and now router shows 5120/512. Should this show 7+/612 (or close), even if I don't get the speed over my phone line in test?

seansshack wrote: »
    I'm on the ferrbybank exchange in Waterford.

Was on 3 meg package and now router shows 5120/512. Should this show 7+/612 (or close), even if I don't get the speed over my phone line in test?
    Yeah, that's how it would have happened before, but I reckon the new software works differently. You're not the only one who's not syncing at the maximum speed. Even if you were, it wouldn't matter. You'd be getting varied results from speedtests every time you do one, and the amount of pausing the connection does... They delay is outrageous sometimes. It's like it needs a kick up the arse to get it moving sometimes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

anyone in cork, kerry get their upgrade, no joy in ballymakeera still :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 marchanlon

heggie wrote: »
    ffs! terenure not done yet

I'm on Terenure aswell and my line was done just before 8am. Have you tried resetting your modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

galwayrush wrote: »
    You'r upload should be at least double what you're showing:confused:

Sorted that but the ping is still poor. I have a wireless network card in this pc that I don't use but the application for it was dragging my upload speed down.

306894370.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

marchanlon wrote: »
    I'm on Terenure aswell and my line was done just before 8am. Have you tried resetting your modem?

yes, several times, thats wierd. are you eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 marchanlon

heggie wrote: »
    yes, several times, thats wierd. are you eircom?

Yeah, Eircom business 3mb.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Well I'm on Lucan Ballydowd (reseller BT) and whilst the modem now says 7616/480. I can't say I've noticed much difference. I know 7.6 is supposed to be a peak spead, so I might try it later. The first test was around 1Mb/s, but I rebooted the router and got this

306898943.png

third test

306901202.png

Would be nice if it was the 3072/384 I had before.

I wish I was on a LLU exchange :mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

Upgraded to 7.6meg when I turned on the pc in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

general question but can anyone explain why i get a better result all round on speedtest.net when i use the limerick server?

i get better download/upload and ping :eek: despite being over 100miles away whereas the dublin server would be less than 20miles away.

306904740.png

306906023.png

306908177.png

Cremo wrote: »
    general question but can anyone explain why i get a better result all round on speedtest.net when i use the limerick server?

i get better download/upload and ping :eek: despite being over 100miles away whereas the dublin server would be less than 20miles away.
    Server load is always a factor. Perhaps Dublin is just overworked right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

so for some reason i wasnt upgraded. great.

• Advertisement

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Server load is always a factor. Perhaps Dublin is just overworked right now.
    true i would still expect the ping not to be higher though :confused:

i'll give it a week or so but the pings are too high, thank god i don't play competitive online gaming anymore i'd be owned.

speedtest doesn't seem accurate

306907418.png

306907827.png

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

Any word on the clontarf exchange yet, I'm not seeing anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Turloughmore Exchange upgraded, not quite 7.6
    306910168.png
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7616 672
    SN Margin (dB) 11.00 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 14.00 7.00
    CRC Errors 0 1

You seem to be, try a direct download, I'm getiing 800k/sec~.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Turloughmore Exchange upgraded, not quite 7.6
    306910168.png
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7616 672
    SN Margin (dB) 11.00 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 14.00 7.00
    CRC Errors 0 1

You will never get the full 7.6 unless the exchange is in your garden, just like you got ~2.6 for 3mbit, its the overheads of the copper.
    306866358.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Clonee, 1.4 km from exchange, still quite a bit off 7.6

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/306913362.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]306913362.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

aside from sync speeds and speedtest results is anyone else finding it a little bit of a disappointment with regards to the actual speed you are getting for day to day stuff?

I'm only seeing a very minor real world difference in pretty much everything I do online.

maybe I'm just still p1$$ed off I'm not getting upgraded to 24mbps. :(

as for dissapointing speedtest.net results, I'm willing to bet they're getting a thrashing like they've never seen before with all of us hammering the crap out of their test servers. :D

vibe666 wrote: »
    aside from sync speeds and speedtest results is anyone else finding it a little bit of a disappointment with regards to the actual speed you are getting for day to day stuff?

I'm only seeing a very minor real world difference in pretty much everything I do online.

maybe I'm just still p1$$ed off I'm not getting upgraded to 24mbps. :(

as for dissapointing speedtest.net results, I'm willing to bet they're getting a thrashing like they've never seen before with all of us hammering the crap out of their test servers. :D
    not noticing much difference in browsing although that's understandable as it already was quick.

downloading is great though, 1meg in 2 seconds instead of 4 seconds pre upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

vibe666 wrote: »

yup agree

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement