Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

no, 3mb home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

mattman wrote: »
    BT!
    Option 3 !

http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb.shtml

NO LIMITS!!!!

M.

Read the small print, subject to fair usage policy, they throttle people once they go over 100GB per rolling month

There was a big thread bout it a few weeks ago, but i can't find it, this is all i can find: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055325359

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

It's still better than Eircom's low caps. Hopefully Eircom will start increasing the size of the caps soon, because its getting ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Read the small print, subject to fair usage policy, they throttle people once they go over 100GB per rolling month

There was a big thread bout it a few weeks ago, but i can't find it, this is all i can find: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055325359

WRONG..WRONG!!

cut here

1. What is the Fair Usage Policy on BT Broadband?

The Fair Usage Policy is designed to ensure that the service received by the vast majority of our customers is not negatively impacted because of extremely heavy usage by a very small minority of customers. This is why BT continuously monitors network performance and may restrict the speed available to very heavy users. This applies to customers on all Options.

Note if you are a heavy user we will only restrict your speed. Service will not be stopped, so you will still be able to upload and download

cut here!

m.

It's still better than Eircom's low caps. Hopefully Eircom will start increasing the size of the caps soon, because its getting ridiculous.

But eircom never enforce their cap. I'm staying with them for this reason, I'd rather have a cap thats never enforced then an "unlimited" with an enforced fair usage policy :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

This thread?

Woooo 1000 posts :pac:

WRONG..WRONG!!

cut here

1. What is the Fair Usage Policy on BT Broadband?

The Fair Usage Policy is designed to ensure that the service received by the vast majority of our customers is not negatively impacted because of extremely heavy usage by a very small minority of customers. This is why BT continuously monitors network performance and may restrict the speed available to very heavy users. This applies to customers on all Options.

Note if you are a heavy user we will only restrict your speed. Service will not be stopped, so you will still be able to upload and download

cut here!

m.

Exactly, its not unlimited, they throttle you when you go over 100GB

Yes jmccrohan, that thread, thanks

Only way to get unlimited with BT is to take out a business connection

After reading the tread, they get trottled to 12k/sec:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

30minutes ago max download speed was 324kb/s now the max speed is 640kb/s. Would of preferred a bigger download cap than speed. /shrug

How in the world do people download over 100gb a month? I mean there's downloading and then there's downloading crap....these people should quite rightly be fined. They're ruining it for the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

trottled to 12k/sec:eek:
    Hope you got 100GBs of good stuff, cause that has to do you for a good while :p

jmccrohan wrote: »
    This thread?

Woooo 1000 posts :pac:

After reading the thread on the link, it says you get trottled to 12k/sec
    No I'm not trottled at all, I'm with Eircom.

How in the world do people download over 100gb a month? I mean there's downloading and then there's downloading crap....these people should quite rightly be fined. They're ruining it for the rest of us.

61064.jpg

I hit 113119 MB last month, mind you its well over my average. This is casual usage, kids on youtube, surfing, only running my torrents at night, thats on only 3meg, have 7.6meg now :D

these people should quite rightly be fined.
    Do you not think that having a connection that is slower than dial up is payment enough.
    They're ruining it for the rest of us.
    Dont be such so childish.. BT throttle them and will unthrottle them when their usage falls to below the limit. So really they are just using next months download limit this month. I see nothing wrong with that.

61064.jpg

I hit 113119 MB last month, mind you its well over my average. This is casual usage, kids on youtube, surfing, only running my torrents at night, thats on only 3meg, have 7.6meg now :D

That's a disgrace.....740 hours last month? You never even turned off the pc? Hopefully they'll crack down on people like you in the future.

That's a disgrace.....740 hours last month? You never even turned off the pc? Hopefully they'll crack down on people like you in the future.

LOL
    I have a home server that is also my firewall box, I rebooted it last november :D

Edit: there is also the option in your modem to have it always on, rather than on demand

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Guys, do we have confirmation that BT's limit is still 100gigs? Anybody 'experimented' with it yet?

I know 100gigs was the unofficial limit back when the cap was 30gigs but I haven't kept up to date with this thread for the last month or so.

Sorry, if it's answered in here somewhere but it's a long thread.

Phlann wrote: »
    Guys, do we have confirmation that BT's limit is still 100gigs? Anybody 'experimented' with it yet?

I know 100gigs was the unofficial limit back when the cap was 30gigs but I haven't kept up to date with this thread for the last month or so.

Sorry, if it's answered in here somewhere but it's a long thread.

Nobody actually knows yet. That new unlimited option3 was only posted last week.
    I'm considering moving to BT as its cheaper, but not having a cap enforced is keeping me with Eircom for the moment

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Fair enough.

Looks like it's up to me to find out, so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Whats digraceful about it? I have three pcs running full time and always connected to the net 24/7. I pay for an always on no limit connection so once I am within the fair usage guidelines I don't see why anyone should have a problem with that.

With the speed increase it may be possible to do that in a couple of days. I,ll let you know how i get on.;)

• Advertisement

unlimited..should be unlimited!

but 100gigs is a lot..!

I have hit 56gigs on my 9th day! my sisters are on youtube watchin home and away all day....

m.

The Muppet wrote: »
    With the speed increase it may be possible to do that in a couple of days. I,ll let you know how i get on.;)
    1.2 days to be exact ;)

unlimited..should be unlimited!

but 100gigs is a lot..!

I have hit 56gigs on my 9th day! my sisters are on youtube watchin home and away all day....

m.

Right, open a new thread if you are throttled saying exactly how much you had dl'ed at the time, there are loads of us who want to know, As i said, I'm considering moving but want to know what the situation is with the unlimited cap

Right, open a new thread if you are throttled saying exactly how much you had dl'ed at the time, there are loads of us who want to know, As i said, I'm considering moving but want to know what the situation is with the unlimited cap

fair nuff...if i do..anytime this month..in which case..ill be pi**ed off...

ill let all u know..

m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

anymore upgrades?

306863879.png
    got upgrade this mornin'
    i downloaded more than 300gb last month
    and eircom charged nothin :pac::pac::pac:
    and ping has increased but not too much so gaming is still good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

Just got the Thomson Speedtouch 585v6 today from ebay in an attempt to improve my sn margin for the speed upgrades. The modem seems set up for Tiscalli broadband and I cant change the settings to eircom. Can anyone help with the set up thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

307059885.png

307056769.png

307057632.png

And I'm in Ashbourne Co Meath. Closer the server = worse ping and upload. Anyone know good ways to check upload accurately???
    url.ie/qv is good for checking download speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

306863879.png
    got upgrade this mornin'
    i downloaded more than 300gb last month
    and eircom charged nothin :pac::pac::pac:
    and ping has increased but not too much so gaming is still good

jesus lad what on earth are you downloading?are you trying to break the internet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Anyone know when the next upgrades will take place ?
    I'm still on 3MB :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement