Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

Well it looks like the Clontarf exchange is done but they have messed me up.

My broadband is cut in half, from 3mb to 1344kkbps, and 384k upstream to 192k.

Also my SNR was about 22 earlier now its about 5.5.

Could this be a precursor to the upgrade or is that it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Bubonic wrote: »
    Well it looks like the Clontarf exchange is done but they have messed me up.

My broadband is cut in half, from 3mb to 1344kkbps, and 384k upstream to 192k.

Also my SNR was about 22 earlier now its about 5.5.

Could this be a precursor to the upgrade or is that it?
    That sounds more like a separate line issue, there should be no reason why your speed should go down after an upgrade, especially since your snr went down as well as your speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

That sounds more like a separate line issue, there should be no reason why your speed should go down after an upgrade, especially since your snr went down as well as your speed.

You're right, my phone line is gone to the dogs as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

maybe they plugged your phoneline back into the 1980's. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

307090120.png

RE: 3 meg with bt, upgraded today to 5meg ish..

Its official! my ping times are up from average 65 (when playing call of duty 4)
    to now if I'm lucky 96-140

but have the speeds u see..but its bordering on just OK to play. (i play at least an hour a day!)...

ah well. Worth it. Interesting comments on u not being charged for 300 GIG in one month! Wonder will BT do me, when I hit 80-100 gig this month...

m.

• Advertisement

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Anyone know when the next upgrades will take place ?
    I'm still on 3MB :(

where u at?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

line was meant to be upgraded from 3mb to 8 today and now im on 1888kb down and near 700up :S

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mlink73

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Anyone know when the next upgrades will take place ?
    I'm still on 3MB :(

Same here, still on 3 MB. I'm on the Tallow exchange, due for upgrade this weekend...............:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

mattman wrote: »
    where u at?
    The BALLINAMORE exchange. BT says post september.

tinner777 wrote: »
    jesus lad what on earth are you downloading?are you trying to break the internet :)
    haha.. alot of movies music ect ,
    anybody know if eircom are gonna sort out the ping increase for the 7.6 packages/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

haha.. alot of movies music ect ,
    anybody know if eircom are gonna sort out the ping increase for the 7.6 packages/
    it must be a lot of special interest movies:pac::pac::pac:
    300gb is a lot of movies and music, good luck to him, with my dodgey line it would take me a year to download that much:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

the crown alley exchange in dublin 2 is done for sure,and they seem to have made a good job of it,internet speeds are much faster and they also havent damaged the browsing too much
    its not superfast but its much better than it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Guys

When you are discussing your upgrades spare a thought for us unfortunates who are "Post September" whatever that means and in the meantime are getting much less for our money than you. This is part of the reply from Eircom when I emailed about Dundalk,

Due to a transmission upgrade required at the Dundalk exchange, speed upgrades to broadband customers in the Dundalk area unfortunately will not come into affect until later this year.

Does anyone know what Transmission Upgrade means? Maybe we will get an even better upgrade when it come lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

307147422.png

This is a joke right?

UTV 3MB broadband getting upgraded to 7.6MB... But instead of 3.6MB faster i get 300k faster. Up speed is something slightly less ridiculous but nonetheless miles off its target of 672k.

The topping on the cake is UPC have their same price package of 20/1.5MB for houses in my area... stopping several houses short of mine :)

Eircom... i am speechless... "upgrade"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

terenure upgraded for me just now, strange how some people had been done since this morning

307147422.png

This is a joke right?

UTV 3MB broadband getting upgraded to 7.6MB... But instead of 3.6MB faster i get 300k faster. Up speed is something slightly less ridiculous but nonetheless miles off its target of 672k.

The topping on the cake is UPC have their same price package of 20/1.5MB for houses in my area... stopping several houses short of mine :)

Eircom... i am speechless... "upgrade"?

depends on line..etc...chill!

change to UPC if u can..im lucky to have 5meg..out side town!

focus more on the internet and not on download speeds...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

307158121.png

Pants is all I can say.

Best I managed was this download speed:
    307146598.png

Best upload was this:
    307146419.png

I was doing this last year:
    111156963.png

So much for upgrading from 3072/384 to 7616/480 (7782/768)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭SeanW

jarvis wrote: »
    307059885.png

307056769.png

307057632.png

And I'm in Ashbourne Co Meath. Closer the server = worse ping and upload. Anyone know good ways to check upload accurately???
    url.ie/qv is good for checking download speeds.

I got upgraded at 1:30 AM on Saturday. After the router reset itself, i checked url.ie/qv and got about 530 kbps down consistently. However my upload speeds are dismal - was working on a very large torrent and my upload speeds are no better now than they were before but they fluctuate wildly. I'll do a SpeedTest at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's even more dismal than I thought, I only got about 1M down improvement and my upload is no better at all.

307171831.png
    Ping to boards.ie is 50ms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Guys

When you are discussing your upgrades spare a thought for us unfortunates who are "Post September" whatever that means and in the meantime are getting much less for our money than you. This is part of the reply from Eircom when I emailed about Dundalk,

Due to a transmission upgrade required at the Dundalk exchange, speed upgrades to broadband customers in the Dundalk area unfortunately will not come into affect until later this year.

Does anyone know what Transmission Upgrade means? Maybe we will get an even better upgrade when it come lol.

Here here, I am unfortunately in that leaky boat too. Betcha it is gonna take forever.

People a few miles down the road have 20Mbit UPC...lucky gits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Couple weeks back I got a mail from Eircom saying the Bray exchange upgrade would take place this weekend. My line hasn't changed. Anyone else in Bray got the upgrade?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Does anyone know what Transmission Upgrade means?
    They need more backhaul to be able to handle the higher speeds/downloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

azzeretti wrote: »
    Couple weeks back I got a mail from Eircom saying the Bray exchange upgrade would take place this weekend. My line hasn't changed. Anyone else in Bray got the upgrade?
    Yep, happened at 2.30am on Saturday morning for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

jmccrohan wrote: »
    They need more backhaul to be able to handle the higher speeds/downloads.
    Will that improve the quality of the service for us unfortunates ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Alun wrote: »
    Yep, happened at 2.30am on Saturday morning for me.

Really? Sh1te, wonder why mine didn't upgrade. Line stats should be able to handle it but still syncing at 3Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Anybody know if the Foxrock exchange has been upgraded? I am on 3MB from UTV but my speedtest seems not to have improved:

307239743.png

However when I'm downloading from rapidshare premium my download speeds seem to have improved from just over 200 kb/s to just over 300 kb/s.

So it seems to me that even though UTV were meant to upgrade me to 3MB a few months ago that I never was upgraded even though my bill was and that actually the Eircom upgrade has bumped me up to 3MB only now:confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

307260244.png

Im with eircom 7616/672 (kbps)
    Pings are more than double what i used to get :(
    Havent tried downloading yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 seansshack

with you guy's who are getting 6mb + in test, what sync speed do you see on your router config page?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I notoce my connection type in connection config is set to on demand,should i change this to always on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

azzeretti wrote: »
    Really? Sh1te, wonder why mine didn't upgrade. Line stats should be able to handle it but still syncing at 3Mb.
    Where are you in Bray? Maybe if you're in the northern (i.e. DLRCOCO) part you could be on the Shankill exchange? Just a thought, although that exchange should have been done this w/e as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement