Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

looks like i moved from eircom at the right time, i would be goin mental if i was still with them cos i mainly use my bb for gamin

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Ronan wrote: »
    Also, we are Esat, no idea why speedtest comes up IEunet Limited??????
    BT has bought up several small isps in ireland. They probably have been bothered to update the RIPE database.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

Been terrible here for me since Portmarnock was done this weekend.

Meant to be 8mb, but it is disconnecting frequently and the sppeds are terrible and pings are a joke. I've an ADSL 2+ modem and our line is more than capable of 8mb. Seems they have made total mess of the upgrades.

307437329.png

Also, we are Esat, no idea why speedtest comes up IEunet Limited since the upgrade?

Thats similar to what I am seeing in Clontarf. Is there noise on your voice line, mine is unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Yep, there is a bit of noise alright, but it isn't unusable. I've been onto Esat and logged a fault, but they seem to think there is nothing wrong with the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

Askeaton Co. Limerick

307457102.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I'm on 3mb, up from 2mb. I was worried my pings would jump higher, but I've found them go for the normal 47ms to 30ms. So I'm happy.

I imagine they'll sort out the higher pings elsewhere (I'm on the Cabra exchange) in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ongarite

Anybody else here on the Clonee exchange? Myself and my friend were upgraded at weekend but getting nowhere near 7.6MB speeds. We both leave 1.5km from exchange in new development with new copper lines.

My SNR (15dB) & Noise Margin (14dB) are fine but both only syncing at 5102/512.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

ongarite wrote: »
    Anybody else here on the Clonee exchange? Myself and my friend were upgraded at weekend but getting nowhere near 7.6MB speeds. We both leave 1.5km from exchange in new development with new copper lines.

My SNR (15dB) & Noise Margin (14dB) are fine but both only syncing at 5102/512.

SNR and noise margin are the same thing, I'm guessing you mean your attenuation is 15db. Post up your full line stats, if your attenuation is 15 and your SNR is 14 you should be getting more than 5.1 down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

Ballivor Upgrade happened as scheduled but my 3mb line did not double as I expected. See below Netopia stats.

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 4768 672
    SN Margin (dB) 7.00 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 19.00 12.00
    CRC Errors 858 59

Should I not be getting double my original 3mb or is there a reason for the reduced sync.

307572033.png

Apologies, I'm not too clear on Interpertering line stats.

Any advice welcome

Macker1 wrote: »
    Ballivor Upgrade happened as scheduled but my 3mb line did not double as I expected. See below Netopia stats.

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 4768 672
    SN Margin (dB) 7.00 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 19.00 12.00
    CRC Errors 858 59

Should I not be getting double my original 3mb or is there a reason for the reduced sync.

307572033.png

Apologies, I'm not too clear on Interpertering line stats.

Any advice welcome

With that attenuation your line is definitely underperforming, you have an awful lot of noise with such a low attenuation maybe try plugging everything out and connecting the router to the main socket and see if there is any change. There is also a lot of talk on these boards lately about how poor the netopia routers are, maybe it would also be a good idea if you could get a hold of another router from somebody to see if there is any change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lynchie

Kill, Co Kildare and Nangor Road, Clondalking have been upgraded but my connection in work has not been upgraded yet.

Anybody else on Santry exchange that has been updated? Meant to be getting the 12Mb update but no sign of it yet after power cycling the router multiple times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Im on the Ratmines exchange on BT 3Mb and got 'upgraded' Saturday. What a joke.

My line is now syncing at 3172/564 and my pings are well over 100+. My line stats have detiorated to the point where if plug them in to a line checker it says I will have dropped connections. Youtube used to be slow now it wont even load. My pings used to be 30-40 and now 100+ so that means web pages load slowly and sometimes not at all. Woe is me.

Im going to leave it a week or two and then move provider. There is no point even ringing them in my experience. Anyone got any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

kmick wrote: »
    Im on the Ratmines exchange on BT 3Mb and got 'upgraded' Saturday. What a joke.

My line is now syncing at 3172/564 and my pings are well over 100+. My line stats have detiorated to the point where if plug them in to a line checker it says I will have dropped connections. Youtube used to be slow now it wont even load. My pings used to be 30-40 and now 100+ so that means web pages load slowly and sometimes not at all. Woe is me.

Im going to leave it a week or two and then move provider. There is no point even ringing them in my experience. Anyone got any suggestions?

Pretty similar here. My pings to my own gaming clans UK servers have gone from 30 - 50 to 90 - 120. Its pissing me off big time. Web browsing has also slowed down a bit and am definitely going to give BT a ring to ask them wtf is going on. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 seansshack

Syncing at 5120 and max speed I have managed = jumping between 4.1 and 4.2

Line Attenuation: 36/23 dB

Is this poor and is 5120 sync the best I can expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm on the Dunboyne exchange if anybody else from around there needs a comparison.

I was on the old 3 meg package. Considering i'm 4km or so from the exchange and had SNR of around 12 and attenuation of 42, I wasnt expecting alot but its been pretty good.

Im syncing at 7616/672 kbps and my SNR is bouncing around from 6-10. My old download rate was about the 350kbs mark when downloading files but its up to around 800kbs. Thats more than doubled. Im very impressed tbh. I really didn't think my line could take more than 4 or 5 meg max.

Obviously, like eveybody else my ping has gone to pot. Boards ping is 42ms where it used to be around 13ms. Thats an interleaving issue though and I expect that to come down over the next month or two. If not, Ill make a few calls. Here is a speed test :

307594386.png

It IS varying though. Sometimes download speed falls from 800kbs to around 650kbs, but its rare and usually shoots back up. Overall? Impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

Kirby wrote: »
    I'm on the Dunboyne exchange if anybody else from around there needs a comparison.

I was on the old 3 meg package. Considering i'm 4km or so from the exchange and had SNR of around 12 and attenuation of 42, I wasnt expecting alot but its been pretty good.

Im syncing at 7616/672 kbps and my SNR is bouncing around from 6-10. My old download rate was about the 350kbs mark when downloading files but its up to around 800kbs. Thats more than doubled. Im very impressed tbh. I really didn't think my line could take more than 4 or 5 meg max.

Obviously, like eveybody else my ping has gone to pot. Boards ping is 42ms where it used to be around 13ms. Thats an interleaving issue though and I expect that to come down over the next month or two. If not, Ill make a few calls. Here is a speed test :

307594386.png

It IS varying though. Sometimes download speed falls from 800kbs to around 650kbs, but its rare and usually shoots back up. Overall? Impressed.

you're very lucky mate, i live 2km from the swords exchange and was on the 3mb package waiting for my upgrade for over a month. got it over the weekend, now on 4mb and have been downgraded to option 2.

bt said this is the max attainable for my line, which has shocking stats for a housing estate that was only built 3 years ago, attenuation down is 52, snr was 12, now 9 since my "upgrade". not sure about my ping, though i'll be checking that as soon as i get home after seeing all the posts about it here:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kudzRS

yea that would be very disappointing if high pings ended up being the status-quo

what do you reckon the problem is? Is it eircom cutting corners - i.e. upgrading speeds without upgrading the exchange capacity?

i am with BT and my upgrade to 7.6mb happened Saturday morning.

im getting 6.7mb / 522kb but iv noticed my ping times are gone to SH*T
    i was getting ping time of 23ms and now since the upgrade it seems to be always 116ms :eek::mad::mad: or around that... i had a Netopia 3347nwg adsl and connection kept droppin since upgrade, iv got an adsl 2+ router now and connection not dropping..

murfo wrote: »
    you're very lucky mate, i live 2km from the swords exchange and was on the 3mb package waiting for my upgrade for over a month. got it over the weekend, now on 4mb and have been downgraded to option 2.

bt said this is the max attainable for my line, which has shocking stats for a housing estate that was only built 3 years ago, attenuation down is 52, snr was 12, now 9 since my "upgrade". not sure about my ping, though i'll be checking that as soon as i get home after seeing all the posts about it here:mad:

yeh my upgrade happened on Saturday, though i couldn't get on for most of sunday since my line was down.

I feel your pain though. And i'll probably be just annoyed soon. I havent bothered trying to play WoW, CS or Cod4 yet.....or play on xbox live.

Im sure when i do, I will curse all and sundry. The pings are just horrific coz of the interleaving.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

on the swords exchange and was due to be upgraded on 09/08/08. my line speed was a steady 3mb down 300kb up. but now its gone to 1888kb/s down and 660 upload. i contacted bt and they claimed they had to reduce my speed before they can upgrade which i presume is a fob off. ping is higher alright but never had a problem with my line before now. any ideas? i have done numerous speeedtests and they convey the 2mb down and what looks to be 600kb up.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

I'm in Drogheda so I'm probly better off waiting another month before getting involved in all of this.

I'm on BT 3mb line this long time and never had a problem on their side (other than my own house line going weird the odd time)

307606442.png

If they cant get all your Dublin exchanges sorted out then I may forget about the upgrade happening here for a long time :(

• Advertisement

Might be an idea for the people who need their low pings for gaming to give Eircom a ring and see what they say. Probably best not to mention all the talk of interleaving but say that gaming is very important to you and since the upgrade your pings have went up by a lot. Try slip in that its pointless you staying on the highest package if the pings stay this high indefinitely. Ask them very politely is there anything they can do about it. At worst all they can do is say no, at best you might have your fps pings back.

Another thing to do what I am. I am demanding a refund for all the time our internet is gone to shyte. I'm on the top BT package and it is €66.95 a month and I am not going to accept these high pings and slow internet speeds when they are already charging a premium for their service. They need to be amde sort this out. People should not accept any excuses from them at all.

Edit: I am past the point of being polite to them

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Been terrible here for me since Portmarnock was done this weekend.

Meant to be 8mb, but it is disconnecting frequently and the sppeds are terrible and pings are a joke. I've an ADSL 2+ modem and our line is more than capable of 8mb. Seems they have made total mess of the upgrades.

307437329.png

Also, we are Esat, no idea why speedtest comes up IEunet Limited since the upgrade?
    Apparantly the postmarnock exchange got flooded at the weekend.... Might be the cause of your troubles..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

Another thing to do what I am. I am demanding a refund for all the time our internet is gone to shyte. I'm on the top BT package and it is €66.95 a month and I am not going to accept these high pings and slow internet speeds when they are already charging a premium for their service. They need to be amde sort this out. People should not accept any excuses from them at all.

Edit: I am past the point of being polite to them

I'll bet that they may apoligise but will say they can't refund one cent to you. If you can get money back from BT you should go to work for the blood bank and start extracting blood from stones.

lol, I know what you are saying but I have done it before with them when they screwed up our line and we had no BB for 6 weeks. I just set the missus on them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

ping times are gone from 60ms average to 120ms average..
    with BT 3meg now 5meg ish..

playing call of duty 4 multiplayer..is much harder..need 60ms !

gona email them about it..

m.

307663160.png

maybe we can get a response from somebody who works, or used to work for an ISP..........

Is the interleaving so high just because they are rolling out the upgrades? Or is it simply the only way they can supply the speeds in the long term?

I ask because im working under the assumption that eventually, the pings will go down. But will they? am i wrong?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Kirby wrote: »
    maybe we can get a response from somebody who works, or used to work for an ISP..........

Is the interleaving so high just because they are rolling out the upgrades? Or is it simply the only way they can supply the speeds in the long term?

I ask because im working under the assumption that eventually, the pings will go down. But will they? am i wrong?

Would it not seem logical that initially they would set the interleaving high so as to minimise disruptions for the majority due to the impact of the higher speeds on lines and in the light of experience that they will experiment and find the best level.?

In fact isn't that more or less what they have said they will do?

The more I think about it though, the more I wonder.

Large amounts of customers are capable of the 8 meg...but just barely. My line is in that category. Im amazed im getting the full speed of the upgrade but I am. With fastpatch what affect would that have? Most of the lines around the country are old. There are people in this, and the other upgrade thread who are within spitting distance of their local exchange but having an awful time with the upgrade.

Its speculation, but i AM worried that alot of our lines are only capable with high interleaving.....and eircom might leave it on for everyone rather than have half their customer base drop down a package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

"Upgraded" Priory Park exchange over the weekend.

307733728.png

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 5120 / 512
    SN Margin (dB) 13.00 / 6.50
    Line Attenuation (dB) 40.50 / 18.50
    CRC Errors 103 / 5

So my pings gone to sh!te and I want to ring Eircom to complain. Is there anything in the router stats I should mention?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement