Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

Anti wrote: »
    This is total bull****. I was on the 3meg BT package, now im in the 4meg package... Huge pings now. Worst thing is, i didnt agree to this at all.

i feel exactly the same, and i'm in the exact same situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anti
    This is total bull****. I was on the 3meg BT package, now im in the 4meg package... Huge pings now. Worst thing is, i didnt agree to this at all.
    i feel exactly the same, and i'm in the exact same situation

Neither did I. I received zero notification that this was going to happen to my line.

I am seriously considering looking at what legal avenues may be open to us.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I can only echo what what the last few posters have said :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I just moved house to get decent broadband, its great now after moving but the SNR is low( 8/14 ) for local and remote( but i still get 49ms pings to boards.ie and synch of 3380/384 with download speeds of 346kilobytes per sec ) and guaranteed these upgrades are going to seriously mess up my current connection.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Damoedge

i have been with utv now for about 3 years and they are ok, 3mb package that floats around 2 - 2.5 mb, 24:1 conn ratio, i am on the North Main Exchange D1, total cost eircom line rental €25.36 p/m inc vat utv internet €36.49 p/m all adds up to €61.85 p/m

now bt have a new package up to 24mb dl conn ratio next to none because they use LLU all for €56 p/m including line rental...i think its good but can any BT customers tell me any information about them?? much appriciated thanks,

Also my flash apps are runing very slow lately as in u tube and the likes, is it there servers or is it my side?? anyone know??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

lmimmfn wrote: »
    I just moved house to get decent broadband, its great now after moving but the SNR is low( 8/14 ) for local and remote( but i still get 49ms pings to boards.ie and synch of 3380/384 with download speeds of 346kilobytes per sec ) and guaranteed these upgrades are going to seriously mess up my current connection.
    You paid thousands in stamp duty just to get decent broadband???
    For the amount you pay in stamp duty you could probably get a fibre connection to your home!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

Also my flash apps are runing very slow lately as in u tube and the likes, is it there servers or is it my side?? anyone know??

Sounds like its a latency issue, which is entirely consistent with the upgrade. Looks like you got shafted with the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I was on to Eircom's Broadband support earlier regarding the recent speed upgrades, I was previously on 3Mb and since the upgrade I am now on 4Mb, and they advised that as my line can only support 4Mb, I live in Clondalkin, I won't be able to avail of the "up to" 7.6Mb speed that others are able to.

The keywords here are obviously "up to" but why should people pay €48.40 for 4Mb broadband when they can pay €30 for 3Mb? It really doesn't warrant a €18.40 charge for an additional 1Mb in speed.

The person I spoke to advised that they weren't aware of any future upgrades to my exchange so I ask, what is the current situation, if anyone knows, for customers unable to avail of the 4Mb+ speeds? Do we sit and wait to see if Eircom upgrade our local exchange or should we save a bit of money and move down to a lower package?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Anyone know anything more about the upgrades for September ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

first of all i havent got upgraded yet, the bt line checker is sayin post september for my line.....i suppose i can live with that but i have noticed everybody talking about the latency issues since the upgrades so i decided to give eircom a ring and see if they would change anything regarding the interleaving, my interleaving was set to low so i got the guy to set it to high and he actually did it there and then, AND i called back 20 mins later and asked it to be set back to low and again(got the same person on the phone, very nice chap) he didnt hesitate at all to do it for me. so to all the gamers having problems just ring them and ask them to do it or just go back to the 3mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

The whole point is they won't change the interleaving on the upper product i.e. 3mb -> 7.6mb. Whether it will fail horribly if they do or they have some other reason is anyone's guess. Downgrading is the only option at the moment if you want your ping back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

havent been upgraded, yet, rang eircom to try and get 3 meg so they would up us to 7.6 who told us our exchange was upgraded 2 days ago (the 11th) and ours hadnt been upgraded because our line cant support 3 meg :/

whats the best course of action from here? im pretty sure we dont wanna pay the full price for our supposed 3 meg now that we cant have it (although i beg to differ)

its a 2.5 year old house 3 minutes walk from our old exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

have you actually asked though seifer or are you just presuming?

Read the thread called "Eircom and interleaving?". I've already downgraded and got my ping back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Seifer wrote: »
    Read the thread called "Eircom and interleaving?". I've already downgraded and got my ping back :)

Hi,
    Are you on low interleaving or fathpath?

Post some ping times please :)

ive read that thread....and i know that u downgraded. but did you actually press eircom to change you to low interleaving or fastpath when you called them? or just assume that they would not do it.

nuxxx wrote:
    Are you on low interleaving or fathpath?
    I don't know. In the other thread you can see what I said to the Eircom guy. I'm not 100% sure whether he messed with the interleaving or downgraded me but looking at this:
    307765555.png
    It looks identical to what it was before the upgrade.
    During the phone call the Eircom guy told me to ping their DNS server and it averaged 39ms. After he fixed it, it was 9ms.
    Will post pings to other sites when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

just somthing to add to my situation, the BT website says post september, im well and trul;y confused

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

BT website says I should have been upgraded last weekend but there's no sign of any changes yet 0_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Stephen wrote: »
    BT website says I should have been upgraded last weekend but there's no sign of any changes yet 0_o

Be thankfull !

• Advertisement

To be fair Anti, it's worked out for some of us :) Ill take the higher pings for higher download speed...... for the moment anyway. If its still an issue in 2 months, then i think ill downgrade.

I just rand eircom to enquire about the upgrades because I was wondering when my exchange would be upgraded. She told me that they have no list of what exchanges are being doing but that they should all be done within a weeks time.

I ordered 3MB UTV BB and got 5MB, why I don't know. I think I'll give them a ring tommorrow again.

nuxxx wrote:
    Post some ping times please
    Here ya go.

Pinging boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=61

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 11ms, Average = 10ms

Pinging www.jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 82.133.85.65:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 22ms, Maximum = 26ms, Average = 23ms

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I just rang eircom to get downgraded from 7.6 meg back to 3 meg,i want my nice ping back for gaming.
    The chap on the phone says it would be within 48 hours to take affect.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

I finally got a straight answer out of Magnet. The lads in there maintain that Eircom should not have said the weekend of the 9th of August but the week of the 9th of August.

He said the in each exchange people are being upgraded in batches each day this week. For magnet customers, Magnet will call before the upgrade as their may be downtime. This could be because I was a Netsource customer so now I am a Magnet Business customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I ordered 3MB UTV BB and got 5MB, why I don't know. I think I'll give them a ring tommorrow again.

The 3Mb product has been upgraded, but your line won't give you the full 7.6mb. There are still selling 3Mb as officially the new speed doesn't exist as not everyone has been upgraded.

ardmacha wrote: »
    The 3Mb product has been upgraded, but your line won't give you the full 7.6mb. There are still selling 3Mb as officially the new speed doesn't exist as not everyone has been upgraded.
    My line can handle the full 7.6MB, My noise is at 15DB with attenuation of 39db and a sync rate of 5120.

Bubonic wrote: »
    The lads in there maintain that Eircom should not have said the weekend of the 9th of August but the week of the 9th of August.
    Yep thats the impression I got from eircom when I rang them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭CRAIG07

well i have just come off the phone from eircom to upgrade to the 3MB

they said it would take up to 3 days to come into effect.....

heres to hoping its worth it !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

cian1500ww wrote: »
    My line can handle the full 7.6MB, My noise is at 15DB with attenuation of 39db and a sync rate of 5120.
    Where did you hear that? Those stats aren't great....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement