Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Where did you hear that? Those stats aren't great....
    http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

cian1500ww wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust that tbh, your snr seems ok, but attenuation is too high

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

cian1500ww wrote: »

See this,

61402.jpg

I got these stats and BT say I can't get over 3meg. They also said they'll control what I get by what they think I can handle, so whos right? BT or these stat sites.

Also if someone knows about these things can they tell me whats right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 seansshack

so I was on 3meg. Last saturday the upgrade happened. Syncing at 5meg. Getting max 4.1 megs

rang eircom support and was advised to remove anti virus software and delete cookies!!!! then is I was using Vista or XP, followed by using other telephone devices like sky.

OMG... so opened a case

After much talking and explaining I removed everything, straight connection and tried three different laptops. My line is only giving me almost half of what I should get. I asked could I get the line and exchange tested, improved?

I was assigned a case id and they would get an engineer to follow up.

Will have to wait and see. With my luck it will get slower...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

yoyo wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust that tbh, your snr seems ok, but attenuation is too high

Nick

You would think that......but my line flies in the face of theory. MY SNR and attenuation is worse than his and im syncing at full speed.

I was informed before the upgrade that every meg you gain downstream will lower your SN 3-5 points. Well, on the old 3 meg line my SNR was around 13. syncing at 7.6 it varies from 6-10 during the day and 3-10 at night.....with the sub-standard netopia 2247 silver modem eircom provide. My attenuation is worse than his also at 42.

Logically this shouldnt have worked, but it did and its very stable. Ive lost sync once in about 6 days. So if hes syncing at 5 meg and has 15db snr, then imo he should be okay at the full whack too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

My modem is ADSL2+ capable and after tgetting the upgrade my line off peak was giving the full speed. During peak times it was down to 3meg speeds.
    However I went into my router settings and it was set at ADSL2+ and I changed it to ADSL and my line gives the full speed all the time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

Thanks to ESATs great advice we ended up purchasing an ASDL 2+ modem on Sat when we saw the old modem was registering a new downstream/upstream. Internet still not working properly. After much back and forth since Sat with ESAT, an engineer was sent out yesterday (from eircom) and claims there is nothing wrong with line.

Had a perfect 3mb connection for over 3 yrs and now when they start doing all this upgrading bs its next to useless. Weirdly downloading seems ok (performing like 2mb) but viewing webpages is awful and too slow and as for gaming there is not a hope in hell...even registered pings of 999 today :(

What are they doing?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Kirby wrote: »
    You would think that......but my line flies in the face of theory. MY SNR and attenuation is worse than his and im syncing at full speed.

I was informed before the upgrade that every meg you gain downstream will lower your SN 3-5 points. Well, on the old 3 meg line my SNR was around 13. syncing at 7.6 it varies from 6-10 during the day and 3-10 at night.....with the sub-standard netopia 2247 silver modem eircom provide. My attenuation is worse than his also at 42.

Logically this shouldnt have worked, but it did and its very stable. Ive lost sync once in about 6 days. So if hes syncing at 5 meg and has 15db snr, then imo he should be okay at the full whack too.

Serious? My stats were at 16.5Db SNR & 34.5 Attenuation and eircon are only syncing my line at 6111 down or something like that :rolleyes:, I also have decent enough stats after this upgrade still getting 12.5Db for SNR & same attenuation, Mite ring them and ask em to sync at the higher rate and see what happens:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nick

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I rang eircom wednesday to drop me back down to the 3meg package as i want my ping back.
    Pinging boards at 14 ms now,my pings ingame are back to their old excellent self again.

So much for an upgrade,simply pathetic that we cant have 7 meg with decent latency for gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

These slow pings are ridiculous, 80+ms for boards.ie today..! I contacted eircom to see if they'd switch me to fast-path, I honestly don't think the technician knew what it was, his advice was for me to disable anti-vir and firewall to increase my ping speeds! wtf?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

These slow pings are ridiculous, 80+ms for boards.ie today..! I contacted eircom to see if they'd switch me to fast-path, I honestly don't think the technician knew what it was, his advice was for me to disable anti-vir and firewall to increase my ping speeds! wtf?
    lmao. "tech" support indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

jmccrohan wrote: »
    lmao. "tech" support indeed.

I know :pac:
    The frustrating thing is that my stats would be more than suitable for fast-path,

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) -7616 down / 672 up
    SN Margin (dB) - 15 down / 12 up
    Line Attenuation (dB) - 0 down / 1 up
    CRC errors - 0 down / 1 up
    100ft from exchange

I can't understand why they won't just turn off interleaving, Im seriously considering downgrading

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I know :pac:
    The frustrating thing is that my stats would be more than suitable for fast-path,

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) -7616 down / 672 up
    SN Margin (dB) - 15 down / 12 up
    Line Attenuation (dB) - 0 down / 1 up
    CRC errors - 0 down / 1 up
    100ft from exchange

I can't understand why they won't just turn off interleaving, Im seriously considering downgrading
    I'm envious of your attenuation :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I am officially retarded. After running around since the upgrade crying about my crappy upload and general crappy connection, after much lugging around laptops all over the house, i realised i had no filter on the house phone. Its been like that for three or four years. Dum dum dum dum dum.

I am officially retarded. After running around since the upgrade crying about my crappy upload and general crappy connection, after much lugging around laptops all over the house, i realised i had no filter on the house phone. Its been like that for three or four years. Dum dum dum dum dum.
    What were your speeds/ping before and what are you getting now?

and did eircom follow up after placing a call and creating a case id yesterday? did they feck...

No follow up. No phone call, emails etc. Runaround city. Basically I have been fobbed off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Ping averaged out at 230 to dublin. Upstream was 445 or thereabouts on the stats page.
    Current results:
    309497344.png

Edit: Pings were fine before the upgrade with no filter. Uploading seemed to severly throttle mah torrents though. Had it limited to 6kbps.

Edit2: Yesterdays result.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56892477&postcount=80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

so did everyone else on the list get upgraded? because ballymakerra didn't and i've been waiting since last sat morning!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I'm on the Dunshshaughlin exchange and I never got the upgrade either. Will ring eircom on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Wow, just checked my line on BT's site and it said I won't be due an upgrade until post September! You'd have thought they would have prioritised cities in upgrading...

Also, I'm still using the Netopia 3347W router, will I need to buy a new one to avail of the increased speed?

• Advertisement

by the sounds of it, you may be better off without the upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

My stats say:
    Upstream Speed: 672 kbps
    Downstream Speed: 7616 kbps

but I havent noticed any difference in speed. Speedtest.net also says its still only 3mb(ish). My ping is all over the gaff (140ms to google / 50ms to boards) and my line regularly cuts out. On the Leixlip exchange. Thing is though, if Im on a well seeded torrent the speed will go well above 500kb/s for a good while, not exactly 'steady' but more than just a spike.

My ping is all over the gaff (140ms to google / 50ms to boards)
    Google dot ie server is in the US so that ping to google is not as bad as it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

Still no upgrade here on the Clontarf exchange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

still no upgrade here,
    http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx
    according to that link i should be able to get 8MB ****ing eircom,

noise margin downstream: 39 db
    output power upstream: 19 db
    attenuation downstream: 17 db

still dunno when im actually due the upgrade since eircom said the 11th of this month and the BT site says post september

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 billybobjoejr

I am on the dunboyne exchange

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1888 384
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 4.50
    Line Attenuation (dB) 63.50 31.50

these are now my stats after the eircom upgrade from 2MB to 3MB. whats worse is the constant disconnects usually about 2 every hour and in the evening that can go to 5-6 an hour. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

my experience of the upgrade is :

my old 3 meg was better
    was getting 330KBs on my torrents
    was maxing out the line
    on almost all torrents

not i have 7.6 meg
    torrennts wont go above 230 and thats as high as ive seen them so far
    and that even includes multiple torrents in an attempt to max out the line
    connection speed unstable as hell
    up and down like a yo-yo
    pages timing out-need constant refreshing
    this is my first day of using it and im not impressed

it feels much slower and less reliable than my old eircom 3meg
    also on the new connection the ping times range anywhere from 96ms(best ever!) to about 560ms or 999 and anywhere in between
    also skype doesnt work very well on this connection ,constantly dropping calls etc

il probly be downgrading as its better to have a solid usable 3meg than an unstable one that can occasionally spike up over 3meg for a few seconds before falling down to 1.5meg

what a ****ing UPgrade!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

To those looking for their upgrade from 3meg to 7.5 meg my advice is dont bother if your a gamer.
    Latency is a joke,im a stones thtrow from the exchange and always had great stats.
    With the so called upgrade dload speds were nice but ingame pings were more than doubled,once i dropped back to 3 meg the nice ping was restored.
    sad but true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

delllat wrote: »
    my experience of the upgrade is :

my old 3 meg was better
    was getting 330KBs on my torrents
    was maxing out the line
    on almost all torrents

not i have 7.6 meg
    torrennts wont go above 230 and thats as high as ive seen them so far
    and that even includes multiple torrents in an attempt to max out the line
    connection speed unstable as hell
    up and down like a yo-yo
    pages timing out-need constant refreshing
    this is my first day of using it and im not impressed

it feels much slower and less reliable than my old eircom 3meg
    also on the new connection the ping times range anywhere from 96ms(best ever!) to about 560ms or 999 and anywhere in between
    also skype doesnt work very well on this connection ,constantly dropping calls etc

il probly be downgrading as its better to have a solid usable 3meg than an unstable one that can occasionally spike up over 3meg for a few seconds before falling down to 1.5meg

what a ****ing UPgrade!
    I'm having the exact same experience as you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭j2dab

I am with IBB had a 3meg and after the upgrade my line has gone to 4meg.

Attenuation : 37
    Noise Margin : 17.4

From what I have read I should have been able to get the full 7.6mb line from these figures above??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement