Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

j2dab wrote: »
    I am with IBB had a 3meg and after the upgrade my line has gone to 4meg.

Attenuation : 37
    Noise Margin : 17.4

From what I have read I should have been able to get the full 7.6mb line from these figures above??
    I doubt it. That Attenuation is quite high.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Connection seems to have evened out after the initial instability. Getting a pretty constant speed of ~650kBps.

Anybody on the BT 'unlimited' package hit the 100gig mark yet? I did my best but I've run out of things to download. They still haven't given us rolling 30-day stat counters either

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Phlann wrote: »
    I did my best but I've run out of things to download. They still haven't given us rolling 30-day stat counters either
    Thats bull****. There is 30.40TB for you to download here :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

310082983.png

310083719.png

My superpowered connection! :eek:

How can you take any speedtest result seriously anymore? I only have a 7.6Mb connection. :P

EDIT: The Magnet speedtest site is also showing similarly erratic and inaccurate results. Maybe it's affecting all flash based tests, as the java based one at irishisptest.com is reporting my speeds correctly. Another thing that seems to be common is a gigantic pause once the downstream is tested before it begins the upstream test. This is both common to both speedtest.net (all servers) and the Magnet one.
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 17811 kbps (2226.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 557 kbps (69.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭CRAIG07

i rang eircom to upgrade to the 3MB on friday.....

but my router is still telling me Speed 1024/128 (kbps)?

why is this do i need to reset it or have i not got the update yet?

thanks for replies in advance...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

CRAIG07 wrote: »
    i rang eircom to upgrade to the 3MB on friday.....

but my router is still telling me Speed 1024/128 (kbps)?

why is this do i need to reset it or have i not got the update yet?

thanks for replies in advance...
    Reseting simply means turn the router on/off, if it still says 1024/128 it means you havn't been upgraded and are still on 1meg

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

joined UTV from BT a few weeks back speeds remained at 2mb then 4mb(as a test they said) and now finally settling at 3mb.
    OKey dokey
    now the whole reason i went with utv is in order to get upgrade from 3mb to 7.5mb or whatever my line can take.
    If not 7.5 then 5 mb i think!
    anyway anyone else out there that is waiting for the utv upgrade?
    or is it just me?!?
    john:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭CRAIG07

they said it could take 3 days to come into effect i will wait till tomorrow and see , if nothing has changed i will call them ,.,.,.,.,.,.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

joined UTV from BT a few weeks back speeds remained at 2mb then 4mb(as a test they said) and now finally settling at 3mb.
    OKey dokey
    now the whole reason i went with utv is in order to get upgrade from 3mb to 7.5mb or whatever my line can take.
    or is it just me?!?
    me, but ive a feeling it will kill my pings :mad: so not so excited tbh

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

OKey dokey
    or is it just me?!?
    It wouldn't have made a difference if you stayed with BT. Eircom do the upgrades, as they own the lines.

What exchange are you on? If it's Loughrea, you should have been upgraded on August 9th, in and around.

Also, what are your line states (Sync Speed, Noise/SNR Margin, and Line Attenuation)? You'll find these inside your ADSL modem/router.

• Advertisement

howdy!
    went with utv because for the same money they were offering 3mb upgraded to at least 5mb,possibly 7.5mb!
    Bt were offering 2mb to 3mb!
    simply thats the reason!

will check the stats now!

they said the 4mb was a trial!
    looks like i still have it!
    would like to get it maxed though!

theres just no pleasin some folk!!!!

ping to limerick server on speedtest is over 100?
    should i be worried?
    thanks
    john

john
    310257256.png

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 4096 384
    SN Margin (dB) 31.00 10.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 26.50 15.00
    CRC Errors 0 4

why does you tube lag like a mudder fecker on these "new upgraded speeds!
    anyone?
    john

anyone?
    john
    If it's indeed due to the new speeds, then it's probably because of the increased interleaving, latency, and pause delay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

310261480.png

Speed: 4160/512 (kbps)
    Line attenuation: 42 db
    Noise margin: 26 db

I'm in Clondalkin and was advised by Eircom's broadband support that the maximum speed I can hope to receive is 4Mb; up from 3Mb.

I am definitely interested in UPCs 20Mb package as if Eircom expect people to pay €48.40 for upgraded 4Mb, when it's €46 for 20Mb with UPC, then they have another thing coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

anyone?
    john

It was like that for me and a good few others for a while before the upgrades.
    Other similar sites were and still are fine. Have a feeling its a problem on youtubes end.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    It wouldn't have made a difference if you stayed with BT. Eircom do the upgrades, as they own the lines.

What exchange are you on? If it's Loughrea, you should have been upgraded on August 9th, in and around.

thanks
    j

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

3mb was my so called max, so downgraded today.

Hopefully by next week my pings will be better, and its cheaper!

DECEiFER wrote: »

thanks
    j
    There was an official list released by Eircom, and it's posted many many pages back on this thread. Not to mention that BT made a little script tool on their site, where you put in your phone number, and it tells you the date, based on what Eircom have told them.

http://www.btireland.ie/cgi-bin/upgrade_time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    It was like that for me and a good few others for a while before the upgrades.
    Other similar sites were and still are fine. Have a feeling its a problem on youtubes end.

Same for me. I know people in the UK who are also having problems with Youtube being slow. It's not even all Youtube videos. Some are normal.

Kahless wrote: »
    Same for me. I know people in the UK who are also having problems with Youtube being slow. It's not even all Youtube videos. Some are normal.
    They are all on several servers, and I can only imagine that some servers will be performing slower than others, for any number of reasons, including contention (how many people are using any given server at any given time).

• Advertisement

Youtube's problem not the isp's. Check out the name of the server you are steaming from. That way you can make note of the fast and slow ones and compare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭MickyJoe

My DSL line gave virtually no problems until it was upgraded the weekend before last. I use an AVM Fritz!Box for making VoIP calls and the quality has gone to hell - prior to the "upgrade" packet losses reported by the Fritz!Box were generally 0.1% or below - now I'm suffering losses of up to 22% with an average of probably 5% or higher (plenty up in the double digits). Had the 3Mb which went up to 7.6 but am now going to downgrade to the old 2Mb which should put me back on 3Mb again but with the contention changed from 24:1 to 48:1. Some upgrade!

MickyJoe wrote: »
    My DSL line gave virtually no problems until it was upgraded the weekend before last. I use an AVM Fritz!Box for making VoIP calls and the quality has gone to hell - prior to the "upgrade" packet losses reported by the Fritz!Box were generally 0.1% or below - now I'm suffering losses of up to 22% with an average of probably 5% or higher (plenty up in the double digits). Had the 3Mb which went up to 7.6 but am now going to downgrade to the old 2Mb which should put me back on 3Mb again but with the contention changed from 24:1 to 48:1. Some upgrade!
    I'm trying to do the same, only it's a waiting game. Red tape is getting in the way. :(

I'm just curious after seeing the other posts: I'm on the old 2mb package still waiting to be upgraded to 3mb. What is the contention ratio for the old 2mb package? The last post says it's 48:1...is this correct?

I was told it would take 4-5 days to go through.

I'm with BT.

Can't wait to see if its any better than my current option or any worse than what i had 3 weeks ago, because of the 24:1 - 48:1 like has been mentioned.

I'm just curious after seeing the other posts: I'm on the old 2mb package still waiting to be upgraded to 3mb. What is the contention ratio for the old 2mb package? The last post says it's 48:1...is this correct?

Yes, only the 7.6 or old 3mb will have 24:1.

But, it will also have high interleaving which the lower packages won't have, AFAIK!

MickyJoe wrote: »

Ah another Fritz!Box user! Thought I'd never see the day. :)

Could you check something for me if you don't mind?

Go to Settings > Internet > DSL Information > Extended and check the Interleave depth. I only have 1 meg here for now so it says 1/1 (receive and send directions). What does yours say? I've heard another poster claim 64/8 on a different modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭MickyJoe

I'm getting 64/8 on a 7140

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

out side Carlow -- Bagenalstown exchange(muine bheag) about 4K from exchange..really old line...

great speeds
    get 660kb on http://ftp.esat.net/
    I'm with www.btireland.ie - package 3..

but PING times are doubled...

call of duty 4 was...60ms ...now 110ms average...

cut here
    Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
    Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 01:12:46:19
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 6144 Kbps 512 Kbps
    Noise Margin 12.8 dB 12.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 42.0 dB 20.0 dB
    Output Power 11.0 dBm 9.6 dBm

cut here
    310763999.png

IRISH SPEED TEST...

Download speed 4321 Kbps (socket test)
    Upload speed 350 Kbps (socket test)
    Quality of service 66 %
    Maximum delay 107 ms
    Round trip time 53 ms
    Upstream jitter 3.3 ms
    Upstream packet loss 0 %
    Upstream packet order 100 %
    Upstream discards 0 %

point is..why have more than 3meg downloads when u very rarely get that in real world..might switch back to 3meg..BUT limited downloads is a BIG problem! Any thoughts on the idea...?I dont think they charge u anyway if u go over.

m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I have just checked the BT site and it lists my exchange as 24Mb enabled. :)

Do I have to contact them to get this speed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement