Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

nope, i am the only person right now that is connected to the router, and i have tried different servers but that is the max i can get. even in bittorrent that is the max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

vishal wrote: »
    nope, i am the only person right now that is connected to the router, and i have tried different servers but that is the max i can get. even in bittorrent that is the max

Try a speedtest from here

before the test, select your ISP and package at the top of the test frame.

http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php

Disable your firewall and AntiVir for the test, and post the results ie.
    Download speed 6524 Kbps (socket test)
    Upload speed 490 Kbps (socket test)
    Quality of service 99 %
    Maximum delay 6 ms
    Round trip time 1 ms
    Upstream jitter 0.2 ms
    Upstream packet loss 0 %
    Upstream packet order 100 %
    Upstream discards 0 %

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

Download speed 5791 Kbps (socket test)
    Upload speed 305 Kbps (socket test)
    Quality of service 43 %
    Maximum delay 35 ms
    Round trip time 43 ms
    Upstream jitter 0.3 ms
    Upstream packet loss 0 %
    Upstream packet order 100 %
    Upstream discards 0 %

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Changed back to PPPoE instead of PPPoA, seems more reliable. PPPoA gets higher peaks with less overheads, but is more prone to being erratic, so it may seem.

So, I've slowed down a little, but I have a nice improvement in reliability.
    Speed test statistics
    Download speed: 6281408 bps
    Upload speed: 562136 bps
    Quality of service: 99 %
    Download test type: socket
    Upload test type: socket
    Maximum download pause: 4 ms
    Average download pause: 1 ms
    Minimum round trip time to server: 40 ms
    Average round trip time to server: 40 ms

VoIP test statistics
    Jitter: you --> server: 0.2 ms
    Jitter: server --> you: off
    Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
    Packet loss: server --> you: off
    Packet discards: 0.0 %
    Packets out of order: 0.0 %
    Number of supported VoIP lines: 9
    Estimated MOS score: 4.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

so did everyone on the august list get their upgrade as i'm still waiting in ballymakerra, when i phone they can only tell me that i haven't been upgraded! is there anyway i can find out when to expect to be upgraded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

tinner777 wrote: »
    so did everyone on the august list get their upgrade as i'm still waiting in ballymakerra, when i phone they can only tell me that i haven't been upgraded! is there anyway i can find out when to expect to be upgraded?

I'm in the same boat, as are others. I have been told I have been upgraded, haven't been upgraded, will be upgraded but nothing has happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Am in Sligo (our exchanges were upgraded the weekend after the August Bank Holiday).

Have applied for 6MB broadband from BT, and told me our lines were only capable of 3MB.

Does this sound feasible?

basquille wrote: »
    Am in Sligo (our exchanges were upgraded the weekend after the August Bank Holiday).

Have applied for 6MB broadband from BT, and told me our lines were only capable of 3MB.

That depends on your line stats. Go into your router and find the upstream and downstream Line Attenuation and Noise/SNR Margins. These are reported in decibels (dB). Then post them here for us to take a peek at.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Is your local exchange LLU (have bt installed their own equip in the exchange)?

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Is your local exchange LLU (have bt installed their own equip in the exchange)?
    Good point. :D

• Advertisement

I'm not really sure lads.. as I'm moving into this new house next week.

I suppose I'll report back when everything is set up.. but given that this is a relatively new estate (5 - 6 years old) the house is in, I assumed the lines would more capable than that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I suppose I'll report back when everything is set up.. but given that this is a relatively new estate (5 - 6 years old) the house is in, I assumed the lines would more capable than that.

Ok well post up line stats when you get set up and people will be able to tell if you are being fobbed off.

You're in Sligo, so that means that your line is not on the BT LLU list. Meaning that you are still using Eircom technology through BT.

Now, what package are you using? Option 1, 2, or 3? I assume it's Option 2? (See: http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb.shtml)

We'll also need to see your line stats as I specified earlier, so that we can get a read on how fast your line can really go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sligo exchange has been unbundled by BT for years but they have not upgraded it to LLU2 yet.

DECEiFER is correct. You're being offered bitstream.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Sligo exchange has been unbundled by BT for years but they have not upgraded it to LLU2 yet.
    When did that happen? I thought LLU entirely only came into effect from September last year.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what exactly is the difference between LLU and LLU2?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

I got on to Magnet again this evening and although I know it isn't really there fault (damn you Eircom!) they are talking crap as well.

I asked the guy when I would be upgraded and he said in the next 6 - 8 weeks, even though my exchange has been upgraded!

I said to him so I am stuck on 3mb and but I am paying for 7.6. He went on about how it was a free upgrade and I was still only paying for 3. This went round the block for a while and it got to the stage where I went "How much am I paying you for 3mb?" "And how much would I pay if I went elsewhere and ordered 3mb?" The penny dropped then.

I said would I receive any money back over the next few months as I am not upgraded. He said no.

I think Smart of UPC here I come.

I have found out my line is serviced by the Rathedmond exchange (which is the primary exchange in Sligo I think).

The user dingding mentions here (in a post over a year ago) that's on 6MB broadband with Smart - so that would tell me what the exchange has been upgraded, and is the lines that aren't capable.

My brother lives down by where I'm moving next week.. and he's with Smart but I'm not sure what speed he's getting. Will phone him tomorrow and try and get him to check (but won't be easy as he's not the most tech savvy).

Will let ye know.

I have found out my line is serviced by the Rathedmond exchange (which is the primary exchange in Sligo I think).

The user dingding mentions here (in a post over a year ago) that's on 6MB broadband with Smart - so that would tell me what the exchange has been upgraded, and is the lines that aren't capable.

My brother lives down by where I'm moving next week.. and he's with Smart but I'm not sure what speed he's getting. Will phone him tomorrow and try and get him to check (but won't be easy as he's not the most tech savvy).

Will let ye know.
    Then you may be able to get Smart's ADSL2+ service. BT haven't put their equipment into the exchange, so you don't have any chance whatsoever in getting their LLU products. If you stay with BT, you'll be using a re-brand of Eircom's bitstream only.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Then you may be able to get Smart's ADSL2+ service. BT haven't put their equipment into the exchange, so you don't have any chance whatsoever in getting their LLU products. If you stay with BT, you'll be using a re-brand of Eircom's bitstream only.
    Ahhh I see. Got BT to activate my line so I'm stuck with them for 6 months anyways.

Ah well.. live and learn I suppose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Egh, the pings since the update are horrid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just bak from hols
    exchange dunshaughlin

5120/512

pings are nasty, used to get 9 to 12ms

Pinging boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=61

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 44ms, Maximum = 44ms, Average = 44ms

312141219.png

Never mind lads.. will be able to get between 5 - 6 MB, probably closer to 6MB.

The line had just been activated.. and she wasn't able to get a proper read apparently.

Rang them back and they re-checked it.. and gave me a accurate reading. Wish the support told me that yesterday! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

DECEiFER wrote: »
    When did that happen? I thought LLU entirely only came into effect from September last year.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what exactly is the difference between LLU and LLU2?

BT started unbundling exchanges back around 2003 when they were Esat and Sligo is one. They have around 50-53 done in total but only really sold to businesses and the odd residential customer. They used ADSL1 gear (LLU).

They're now upgrading their gear in some of these exchanges to ADSL2+ (LLU2) where they are offering the upto 24meg service. I don't think they plan to upgrade all their exchanges to LLU2 though.

They are all located on or near their own fibre.
    I know of 49 but they've done another 4/5 since:
    • Arklow
    • Athlone HPO
    • Ballina
    • Ballincollig, Co.Cork
    • Ballinasloe
    • Beggars Bush, Dublin 4
    • Belcamp, Dublin
    • Blanchardstown, Dublin
    • Churchfield, Cork
    • Clondalkin, Dublin
    • Clonmel, Clonmel
    • Cork Central, Cork
    • Crown Alley, Dublin 2
    • Dolphins Barn, Dublin 12
    • Dooradoyle, Limerick
    • Douglas, Cork
    • Drogheda, Drogheda
    • Dunlaoghaire, Co. Dublin
    • Enniscorthy, Enniscorthy
    • Foxrock, Dublin 18
    • Galway, Galway
    • Gorey
    • Greystones
    • Kilkenny, Kilkenny
    • Killarney, Killarney
    • Mallow, Mallow
    • Merrion, Dublin
    • Mervue, Galway
    • Mullingar, Mullingar
    • Naas, Kildare
    • Navan, Navan
    • North Main, Dublin 2
    • Nutley, Dublin 4
    • Portlaoise, Portlaoise
    • Quaker Road, Cork
    • Roslevin, Athlone
    • Ship Street, Dublin 2
    • Sligo, Sligo
    • Summerhill, Dublin 1
    • Swords, Dublin
    • Tallaght, Dublin 24
    • Terenure, Dublin 6W
    • Thurles, Thurles
    • Tralee, Tralee
    • Waterford Central, Waterford
    • Waterford Tycor, Waterford
    • Wexford, Wexford
    • Whitehall, Dublin 9
    • Wicklow, Wicklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Only noticed the upgrade today (Goatstown), getting just over 6mb/s here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BUSHtheBOLLOX

anybody on the shankill south dublin exchange upgraded yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

ongarite wrote: »
    Anybody else here on the Clonee exchange? Myself and my friend were upgraded at weekend but getting nowhere near 7.6MB speeds. We both leave 1.5km from exchange in new development with new copper lines.

Same here, in the same general area. Have emailed tech support and await their reply.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

currently on 3meg package, my line attenuation is 37db and my sn margin is 21db, would this be anywhere near close enough for 7.6meg?
    Cabaal wrote: »
    SNR margin is pretty ok, I'd say perhaps 5-6MB?

I was hoping for around 6 to 6.5meg, all the online adsl calculators were estimating me to get 7meg with those stats but you were correct!
    http://212.23.23.177/ADSL/default.aspx give me a totally inaccurate calculation of 7.2meg on adsl1.

my stats are now 5120/512k
    Line Attenuation 37db, sn margin 17db

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Gonzo wrote: »
    currently on 3meg package, my line attenuation is 37db and my sn margin is 21db, would this be anywhere near close enough for 7.6meg?

I was hoping for around 6 to 6.5meg, all the online adsl calculators were estimating me to get 7meg with those stats but you were correct!
    http://212.23.23.177/ADSL/default.aspx give me a totally inaccurate calculation.

Looks like your attenuation could be holding ya back, but funny thing is I have 12.5db snr & 34.5Db Attenuation and Eircom are syncing the line @ 6144/512 so it could be possibly your on a busy exchange and eircom cant give everyone full speeds for stability maybe?

Nick

Gonzo wrote: »
    That sounds a bit unusual that you're getting exactly 5 megabits down. I've also seen others getting 6144/512 (i.e. exactly 6 megabits down). I think Eircom are limiting the speeds based on your stats though it's just an educated guess. Or as yoyo said, maybe there's not enough bandwidth available in the exchange?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Karsini wrote: »
    That sounds a bit unusual that you're getting exactly 5 megabits down. I've also seen others getting 6144/512 (i.e. exactly 6 megabits down). I think Eircom are limiting the speeds based on your stats though it's just an educated guess. Or as yoyo said, maybe there's not enough bandwidth available in the exchange?

They are limiting them. I'm on 3mb and had to call them to upgrade my line. They raised it to 4mb and then to 7.6mb.

"7.6mb" syncs @ 4768/672.

This is of course with 57/31 dB !

:):):)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement