Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭nilhg

lordlame wrote: »
    They are limiting them. I'm on 3mb and had to call them to upgrade my line. They raised it to 4mb and then to 7.6mb.

"7.6mb" syncs @ 4768/672.

This is of course with 57/31 dB !

:):):)

Was that 4mb 4096/384?

That's what I'm stuck on ATM, I've been having words with Digiweb support who have to go to Eircom to check out the situation, nothing gets done in a hurry.

My stats are 45/28 attenuation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Karsini wrote: »
    That sounds a bit unusual that you're getting exactly 5 megabits down. I've also seen others getting 6144/512 (i.e. exactly 6 megabits down). I think Eircom are limiting the speeds based on your stats though it's just an educated guess. Or as yoyo said, maybe there's not enough bandwidth available in the exchange?

ye i was thinking my line is capable of a bit more, do ye reckon if i ring eircom support 2moro they mite offer me an extra meg if i complain since im paying for a full 7.6meg line and only getting 5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Gonzo wrote: »
    ye i was thinking my line is capable of a bit more, do ye reckon if i ring eircom support 2moro they mite offer me an extra meg if i complain since im paying for a full 7.6meg line and only getting 5?

You're paying for 'up to 7.6' so they're covered.
    Going that route could get "would you like us to drop you to 3 meg sir?"

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

and equally if you called and politely asked if they could recheck if your line can handle a higher speed they might give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

nilhg wrote: »
    Was that 4mb 4096/384?

That's what I'm stuck on ATM, I've been having words with Digiweb support who have to go to Eircom to check out the situation, nothing gets done in a hurry.

My stats are 45/28 attenuation.
    i have similar attenuation and getting 4090/384 also

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Rsaeire wrote: »
    310261480.png

Speed: 4160/512 (kbps)
    Line attenuation: 42 db
    Noise margin: 26 db

I'm in Clondalkin and was advised by Eircom's broadband support that the maximum speed I can hope to receive is 4Mb; up from 3Mb.

I am definitely interested in UPCs 20Mb package as if Eircom expect people to pay €48.40 for upgraded 4Mb, when it's €46 for 20Mb with UPC, then they have another thing coming.

I also have similar attenuation and receiving the above. Would my line be capable of receiving a higher speed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Getting at lot of crc errors and it often goes down completely
    313666488.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

God. This upgrade is bollocks. I hate to say it as much as I was anticipating it, but it is. Pinging google.ie results in an average of 152ms. I'm moving to NTL.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

Beau x1 wrote: »
    God. This upgrade is bollocks. I hate to say it as much as I was anticipating it, but it is. Pinging google.ie results in an average of 152ms. I'm moving to NTL.

just requested that my option 3(on BT-currently have 6meg), back to option 2(3meg)..

hope to restore my ping times..for gaming..

m.

when do u ever download the full 6meg anyway?
    as for caps...it would seem u can go over..not a word...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭MickyJoe

Happy days again !

Changed from my "upgraded" to 7.6Mb package with Magnet Business to the 3Mb (old 2Mb) with Imagine. Errors are gone and I can can enjoy quality VoIP calls again on my Fritz!Box. Packet losses are back to 0.2% (I had one that suffered 81% loss). Never paid much attention to ping times but they are now around 13ms to boards.ie Web pages are definitely coming up quicker than they gave been for a while as well.

Karsini - my interleave depth is now 1/1 since the change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Dumb question , but anyone know if the eircom 3->7.6mb upgrades hit maynooth (the town , not the buisness park) yet? tried two routers (an older USR one and a 2247nwg)and only getting 2600/380 and 3000/380 ish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Dumb question , but anyone know if the eircom 3->7.6mb upgrades hit maynooth (the town , not the buisness park) yet? tried two routers (an older USR one and a 2247nwg)and only getting 2600/380 and 3000/380 ish.
    Line stats and we might be able to tell if your line is actually capable of handling the upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Line stats and we might be able to tell if your line is actually capable of handling the upgrade.

not quiet sure thats what he asked
    + if he knew his line stats he would also be able to see what speed hes syncing at ;O

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

nuxxx wrote: »
    not quiet sure thats what he asked
    + if he knew his line stats he would also be able to see what speed hes syncing at ;O
    I know. But just like the poster (i dont blame you), im far too lazy to look through the 2477 posts in this thread.

If he posts up his stats and they are crap, then the upgrade doesnt matter to him, as his line will not handle it.

;)

Not at home at the moment so cant look it up , I'll stick them up when I get home.
    So was maynooth upgraded then?

not sure if this is what I should be looking for but:

downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 20.00 16.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 21.50 12.50
    CRC Errors 0 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

not sure if this is what I should be looking for but:

downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 20.00 16.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 21.50 12.50
    CRC Errors 0 1
    good stats, im sure youll get 6mb with those

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

Does anyone know if the Portmarnock area has been upgraded at all yet? I rang BT yesterday and they say there is no estimated time on this upgrading now :(

I also love the fact that when you pop your number into their website checker for upgrade it still says "Upgrade will happen on the weekend of the 9th of August"

I have no doubt BT will still continue to charge us the same rate for getting 3mb though even though people on 8mb are paying the same as us about 4 miles down the road in Swords! Hmmm....

lmimmfn wrote: »
    good stats, im sure youll get 6mb with those

thats nice to know:)
    I'm guessing that means maynooth (non buisness park ) hasnt had the upgrade yet then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

thats nice to know:)
    I'm guessing that means maynooth (non buisness park ) hasnt had the upgrade yet then?
    Check your number here:
    http://www.btireland.ie/cgi-bin/upgrade_time

Doesn't matter if you're a BT customer or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Guys using my Netopia Cayman 3300 my speeds are 4700ish/640ish and the guy in BT support said it is because my modem needs the latest firmware. However the latest firmware is the firmware I am on so it looks like I need a new modem/router combo. Anyone have any recommendations for a good value modem/router combo on dabs or komplett?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

kmick wrote: »
    Guys using my Netopia Cayman 3300 my speeds are 4700ish/640ish and the guy in BT support said it is because my modem needs the latest firmware. However the latest firmware is the firmware I am on so it looks like I need a new modem/router combo. Anyone have any recommendations for a good value modem/router combo on dabs or komplett?

Hi
    Could you post your linestats??
    Mabye ur line isnt capable of more.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Check your number here:
    http://www.btireland.ie/cgi-bin/upgrade_time

Doesn't matter if you're a BT customer or not.
    cheers , post September apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭smiddyboy

Hare are my line stats. Do you think these might be OK for the upgrade on my line due 'Post September?'

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 17.50 21.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 16.50 8.50
    CRC Errors 2 1

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I sent BT an email to get some info on when Dundalk in Co.Louth will be upgraded, here's the reply:
    Response (Customer Care) 29/08/2008 03.36 PM

Hi *****,

This should already be upgraded. If you are having issues with the speeds/download limit please contact tech support on 1890 923 111.

Kind Regards
    BT
    Customer Care Team
    customer.care@btireland.ie

Anyone from Dundalk reading this, have we been upgraded then :confused:

Sar! wrote: »
    I have no doubt BT will still continue to charge us the same rate for getting 3mb though even though people on 8mb are paying the same as us about 4 miles down the road in Swords! Hmmm....
    Thats not BT's fault. Get all your porto buddies to move to BT. Then it would be economically viable for BT to unbundle the exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mickeyangel

Currently with eircom on 2MB,the exchange in Ballina Co.Mayo. has been upgraded to ADSL+2 but as of 31/08/008 I have not received promised upgrade to 3MB.Eircoms feedback is crap ie no reply to e-mails,does anyone agree with me that the eircom website needs a complete overhaul ie userfriendly?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Currently with eircom on 2MB,the exchange in Ballina Co.Mayo. has been upgraded to ADSL+2 but as of 31/08/008 I have not received promised upgrade to 3MB.Eircoms feedback is crap ie no reply to e-mails,does anyone agree with me that the eircom website needs a complete overhaul ie userfriendly?:mad:
    Ring them up and say all your neighbours got the upgrade and they'll give it to you- worked for me and someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

nuxxx wrote: »
    Hi
    Could you post your linestats??
    Mabye ur line isnt capable of more.
    BT 3Mb(6Mb?)
    672/4735
    relative capacity occupation: 108%
    noise margin downstream: 10.0 db
    output power upstream: 4.0 dbm
    attenuation downstream: 31.5 db

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've been told the max my line is capable of is 3meg. Is there anything else I can do about this?

Could this be based on things like dodgy connections within my house or driveway (it's a mess!), or is this something on the Eircom side of things such as distance not supported or I have an old line ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement