Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Random wrote: »
    I've been told the max my line is capable of is 3meg. Is there anything else I can do about this?

Could this be based on things like dodgy connections within my house or driveway (it's a mess!), or is this something on the Eircom side of things such as distance not supported or I have an old line ?
    Post up line stats and you will get a better picture.

Plug the router into the master socket with no filter and that way you eliminate any internal wiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

jmccrohan wrote: »

Plug the router into the master socket with no filter and that way you eliminate any internal wiring.
    Will have to get to that tomorrow and see what it says. From the stats in the router alone I'll be able to tell what my line is capable of?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Will have to get to that tomorrow and see what it says. From the stats in the router alone I'll be able to tell what my line is capable of?
    Yup, might not be exact but you get a good idea anyways.

You need the sync speed, attenuation and signal to noise ratio figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I sent BT an email to get some info on when Dundalk in Co.Louth will be upgraded, here's the reply:

Response (Customer Care) 29/08/2008 03.36 PM

Hi *****,

This should already be upgraded. If you are having issues with the speeds/download limit please contact tech support on 1890 923 111.

Kind Regards
    BT
    Customer Care Team
    customer.care@btireland.ie

Anyone from Dundalk reading this, have we been upgraded then :confused:

Just been on the phone to BT, turns out no upgrade has been done or date confirmed yet for Dundalk, also was told that I'm too far from the exchange (would need to be within 1 - 2 mile of it to get up on 8MB) and 3MB is the max I will get.

I asked about pings for gaming, he said that if I were able to get the upgraded speeds my pings would sky rocket and that even though I won't be able to go higher than a 3MB connection more than likely my pings will go up and wreck online gaming for me :(

*Note to all with BT that won't be able to get the new speeds*

If your like me and on 3MB, when the upgrade does happen you have to ring BT customer service and tell them that you want to downgrade to Option Pack 2 otherwise you will be charged the monthly Option Pack 3 fee.

The 30GB download/upload limit for Option Pack 2 isn't going any higher and they will be monitoring this more closely due to the fact they don't want the lines overloaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mickeyangel

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Has anyone in the ballina area in mayo got the upgrade in broadband speed ie 2MB-3MB?
    Have been on to eircom via phone but no joy.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Belfast wrote: »
    Getting at lot of crc errors and it often goes down completely
    313666488.png

Line Condition

Auto Refresh

Protocol ADSL State Showtime
    Data Path Interleave
    Operation Mode G.DMT

Downstream
    Line Status ADSL Link Speed 7360 kbps
    SNR 4.5 dB 0.0 dB
    ATEN 31 dB 19 dB
    Line Error ADSL layer FEC 45969
    CRC 445
    ATM layer HEC 316
    Frame Counter 1689459

Upstream 672 kbps
    Line Error ADSL layer FEC 61
    CRC 10
    ATM layer HEC 4

Frame Counter 1010961 1010317

still lots of errors

Belfast wrote: »
    Line Condition

Auto Refresh

Protocol ADSL State Showtime
    Data Path Interleave
    Operation Mode G.DMT

Downstream Upstream
    Line Status ADSL Link Speed 7360 kbps 672 kbps
    SNR 4.5 dB 0.0 dB
    ATEN 31 dB 19 dB
    Line Error ADSL layer FEC 45969 61
    CRC 45 10
    ATM layer HEC 316 4
    Frame Counter 1688706 1010317

still lots of errors
    You are getting lots of errors because your SNR is so low. A SNR of 7 is about the tolerable minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 marvinsa

I recently moved from BT to NTL / UPC and am absolutely delighted with the speed & quality of service. I've had to contact NTL customer service twice with minor queries and was pleasantly surprised to have my call answered within 5 mins. This compares to my on-hold record with NTL (TV) of 48 mins - 4 years ago! For anyone who's interested, the reason I moved from BT was not speed but poor customer service & billing issues. Even getting setup with BT when I initially signed up 2 years ago was an absolute nightmare - it took over 2 months from sign up to be able to actually use broadband and I felt like I was banging my head against a brick wall!! NTP / UPC had me up and running within 4 days. Given my satisfaction with NTL broadband, my only regret is not moving a year ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,233 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

For anyone in Dundalk some good news. I e mailed Eircom and this is the reply I got today. Dont know if this applies to anywhere else.

Broadband speed upgrades to eircom's 2Mb and 3Mb broadband products will take place in the Dundalk exchange over the weekend of 12th September. Qualifying customers on the 2Mb broadband product will see their broadband download speed increase to up to 3Mb and customers on the 3Mb broadband product will see their download speed increase to up to 7.6Mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mr Numnuts

I'm on the Churchfield exchange and I finally got upgraded last Saturday to 7.6 (really 6 meg) and since then my sync gradually reduces itself during the day to the point that I must reboot my router every morning. It starts off at 6114kbps like it should until about 6:30pm when it starts falling and finally rests on around 3840kbps by around 10 or 11pm. I'm wondering if this happening to other people before I ring up complaining about it.

Also my exchange got upgraded to ADSL2+ a few months ago and I'd like to know if eircom are offering any free ADSL2+ ugrades like BT are offering. I can't find any info on eircom's site about those services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Mr Numnuts wrote: »
    I'm on the Churchfield exchange and I finally got upgraded last Saturday to 7.6 (really 6 meg) and since then my sync gradually reduces itself during the day to the point that I must reboot my router every morning. It starts off at 6114kbps like it should until about 6:30pm when it starts falling and finally rests on around 3840kbps by around 10 or 11pm. I'm wondering if this happening to other people before I ring up complaining about it.
    If its your sync going down as the day goes on it might be a case of interference. It is really a line issue or internal wiring issue and you won't have much luck getting Eircom to do much about it.
    Also my exchange got upgraded to ADSL2+ a few months ago and I'd like to know if eircom are offering any free ADSL2+ ugrades like BT are offering. I can't find any info on eircom's site about those services.
    They're not, Bt are offering people ADSL2+ upgrades on selected exchanges which is essentially taking customers from a resold Eircom product which uses Eircom equipment to a seperate BT product using BT equipment in the exchanges. Eircom have ADSL2+ in the exchanges but its only for businesses currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Mine fluctuates all the time from 4090 synch <-> 3770
    free? eircom? youre kidding right?

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

For anyone in Dundalk some good news. I e mailed Eircom and this is the reply I got today. Dont know if this applies to anywhere else.

Broadband speed upgrades to eircom's 2Mb and 3Mb broadband products will take place in the Dundalk exchange over the weekend of 12th September. Qualifying customers on the 2Mb broadband product will see their broadband download speed increase to up to 3Mb and customers on the 3Mb broadband product will see their download speed increase to up to 7.6Mb.
    Nice one, pitty I'm too far from the exchange though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mr Numnuts

lmimmfn wrote: »
    free? eircom? youre kidding right?

Why not? I am just looking for information on it. If they won't provide it for free I'll just move to BT when they get around to doing my exchange which shouldn't be too far off by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Why not? I am just looking for information on it. If they won't provide it for free I'll just move to BT when they get around to doing my exchange which shouldn't be too far off by the looks of it.

Residential customers are not be getting ADSL2+ and won't be anytime soon.

Don't hold your breath for BT to do your exchange either. Their roll-out seems to be painfully slow plus they won't be upgrading all their unbundled exchanges to 2+ either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Do Eircom still plan to upgrade the remaining ADSL exchanges like the one im on to also accommodate ADSL2+ in the near future? I know the current upgrade is only a few weeks old but im thinking if Eircom are to upgrade us any more in the future then adsl2+ is the only way for the next upgrade for home users as most peoples connections are already maxed out not even reaching 7.6meg on adsl.

Just got an email from Eircom that the Limerick exchange will be upgraded the weekend of the 12th September!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

lol, no offense but eircom are *****, ADSL2+ is only planned for businesses and has a crazy price tag i.e. 140euro per month+ last i heard. Go with BT,save yourself

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Gonzo wrote: »
    Do Eircom still plan to upgrade the remaining ADSL exchanges like the one im on to also accommodate ADSL2+ in the near future? I know the current upgrade is only a few weeks old but im thinking if Eircom are to upgrade us any more in the future then adsl2+ is the only way for the next upgrade for home users as most peoples connections are already maxed out not even reaching 7.6meg on adsl.

No plans that I know of at least beyond the 140 done to date, although all newly upgraded exchanges are getting 2+ gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Just got an email from Eircom that the Limerick exchange will be upgraded the weekend of the 12th September!

could you give me the email address, should have been upgraded ages ago as on ballymakerra exchange but nothing as yet, not too bothered about speed as my line prob wont be good enough but the increase in download limit would be good if they are going to start enforcing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,233 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Been making a few phone calls to eircom over the last few days, and during it he was manually able to change my speed, first from 3 to 5, and now up to 6. Doing it in increments to ensure it dosn't cause the line to become unstable etc.

Line Mode 	G.DMT   	Line State  	Show Time 
    Latency Type 	Interleave  	Line Up Time 	00:00:11:29 
    Line Coding 	Trellis On  	Line Up Count 	1 

Statistics 	Downstream 	Upstream
    Line Rate 	3072 Kbps 	384 Kbps
    Attainable Line Rate 	4896 Kbps 	1152 Kbps
    Noise Margin 	11.9 dB 	12.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 	57.0 dB 	31.5 dB
    Output Power 	18.4 dBm 	0.8 dBm

This what you're looking for ?

Line Mode 	G.DMT   	Line State  	Show Time 
    Latency Type 	Interleave  	Line Up Time 	00:00:11:29 
    Line Coding 	Trellis On  	Line Up Count 	1 

Statistics 	Downstream 	Upstream
    Line Rate 	3072 Kbps 	384 Kbps
    Attainable Line Rate 	4896 Kbps 	1152 Kbps
    Noise Margin 	11.9 dB 	12.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 	57.0 dB 	31.5 dB
    Output Power 	18.4 dBm 	0.8 dBm

This what you're looking for ?
    Your line stats are crap tbh. You'll be doing well to get 4Mbps.

How far are you from the exchange?

Your line stats are crap tbh. You'll be doing well to get 4Mbps.

How far are you from the exchange?
    Does the Attainable Line Rate actually mean the max speed?

Not sure how far from the exchange .. "a long way" I would say though based on previous discussions with people.

I have to add that's plugged into the socket upstairs, gonna get the one from the downstairs one when I can drag my modem away from my active connection for a few mins :D

What's so bad about the stats anyway? What are yours for example?

Not sure how far from the exchange .. "a long way" I would say though based on previous discussions with people.

I have to add that's plugged into the socket upstairs, gonna get the one from the downstairs one when I can drag my modem away from my active connection for a few mins :D

What's so bad about the stats anyway? What are yours for example?

You want a high snr and low attenuation.

I have a similar snr but an attenuation of about 50.

Mine are crap too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

You want a high snr and low attenuation.

I have a similar snr but an attenuation of about 50.

Mine are crap too :)

How do you check them?

Yeah pretty much, it's an estimate of the max speed based on your SNR margin and attenuation. My modem claims I can get 10884/1248.

How do you check them?
    You have to go into your router and look for the stats.

What router do you have?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Aiyon

Sigh.. UTV upgraded my connection yesterday.. At first I thought it was the new router that I had gotten on the same day that had increased my download speed three fold, but I guess not.
    But, now my connection is really bad. REALLY unstable, and very hard to play games with.. What's up with that?

Could it possibly be my router's settings? SNR and such? (It's a NETGEAR DG834GT)
    SNR (dB):       13.5            12.0
    Attn(dB):       33.0            21.0
    Pwr(dBm):       14.9            3.6
    Max(Kbps):      11104           1356
    Rate (Kbps):    7616            672

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement