Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Aiyon wrote: »
    Sigh.. UTV upgraded my connection yesterday.. At first I thought it was the new router that I had gotten on the same day that had increased my download speed three fold, but I guess not.
    But, now my connection is really bad. REALLY unstable, and very hard to play games with.. What's up with that?

Could it possibly be my router's settings? SNR and such? (It's a NETGEAR DG834GT)
    SNR (dB):       13.5            12.0
    Attn(dB):       33.0            21.0
    Pwr(dBm):       14.9            3.6
    Max(Kbps):      11104           1356
    Rate (Kbps):    7616            672

your connection, attn and snr are grand.. its the fact that eircom have increased the interleving to a maximum level from a previous level of almost nothing that has caused your gaming to be very poor. Maximum interleving = high pings. Only option to fix your gaming is to downgrade back to the 3meg package where Interleving is at a minimum like before. The 7.6 meg packages are to be avoided like the plague for anyone remotely interesting in online gaming or any other ping related activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Aiyon

Gonzo wrote: »
    your connection, attn and snr are grand.. its the fact that eircom have increased the interleving to a maximum level from a previous level of almost nothing that has caused your gaming to be very poor. Maximum interleving = high pings. Only option to fix your gaming is to downgrade back to the 3meg package where Interleving is at a minimum like before. The 7.6 meg packages are to be avoided like the plague for anyone remotely interesting in online gaming or any other ping related activities.

Thanks for the info, do you know if this is only with Eircom? Will it ever be fixed? Will it be the same with Magnet's 8Mbit connection? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

balls. got upgraded to the 7.6mb package with BT automaitcally while on holidays. have noticed pings are completely crap now, am getting 120ms ping to google.com :(
    can get ntl\upc bb. are the pings better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

jmccrohan wrote: »
    You have to go into your router and look for the stats.

What router do you have?

I have the silver eircom/netopia one.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Scruff wrote: »
    balls. got upgraded to the 7.6mb package with BT automaitcally while on holidays. have noticed pings are completely crap now, am getting 120ms ping to google.com :(
    can get ntl\upc bb. are the pings better?
    Yes, ntl bb would be a superior broadband service than the 7.6mb 'upgrade' you're getting now and you'll also be paying less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Aiyon

I have the silver eircom/netopia one.
    Thanks!

This is how it worked for my Netopia router:

For Windows XP (or Vista with telnet):

Get into command prompt (Run-> "cmd").
    In command prompt run these commands:
    telnet 192.168.1.254
    show dsl

For Vista (Without telnet):

Download PuTTYtel (http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/puttytel.exe).
    Open PuTTYtel.
    Put 192.168.1.254 in the Host Name box.
    Press the "Open" button
    Run this command in the new window:
    show dsl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

i get this sick of it allways ben disconnected

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 0.00 16.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 43.00 25.50
    CRC Errors 3 1

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

cuppa wrote: »
    i get this sick of it allways ben disconnected

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 0.00 16.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 43.00 25.50
    CRC Errors 3 1

Your line is atrosious :O, Having a SN Margin of 0 wont get you anywhere, you will need to possibly drop down to 1 meg as I'd say thats all your line can handle

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Richieee

Apologies if this has been answered but I couldn't find one after a quick search. What is with the higher pings on Eircom since the upgrade? Does anyone know if there are plans to get rid of the interleaving so we can all return to having decent pings? It makes playing online games (FPS in particular) rather tedious.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The High pings are caused by Eircom putting the interleving to its maximum level on the 7.6meg package. Only way to reduce the ping is to downgrade to the 1 or 3 meg packages. Its highly unlikely that Eircom will do anything to lower the pings despite claims to reduce pings after all exchanges are upgraded were sent in emails to those complaining about pings. Eircom set the interleving to maximum and I cant see them suddenly reverting this after a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Richieee

Gonzo wrote: »
    The High pings are caused by Eircom putting the interleving to its maximum level on the 7.6meg package. Only way to reduce the ping is to downgrade to the 1 or 3 meg packages. Its highly unlikely that Eircom will do anything to lower the pings despite claims to reduce pings after all exchanges are upgraded were sent in emails to those complaining about pings. Eircom set the interleving to maximum and I cant see them suddenly reverting this after a few weeks.

Thanks for the info. Are you 100% positive reverting to the 3meg package would solve the ping issue? My line is only capable of 4MB down so paying for 7.6meg is a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

If your ping was fine before the upgrade then yes, down-grading will definately fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭akenny01

heya ppl . does anyone know the fastest speed broadband available in ENNISCORTHY CO.WEXFORD ? i really wana get rid of 3mb and move to at least 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

That bad sn was last night ,,seems to happen in the night more.its better today.

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 14.50 16.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 42.50 25.00
    CRC Errors 108 6

Must try the router in the main phone jack ,,My father wired the house a long time ago.
    Could be in the house.

just pluged back in one of the phone lines.

SNR Margin: 11.50 16.00 dB
    Line Attenuation: 42.50 25.00 dB
    Output Power: 6.14 0.05 dB
    Errored Seconds: 0 0
    Loss of Signal: 0 885
    Loss of Frame: 0 0
    CRC Errors: 421 16
    Data Rate: 3072 384

just tested again at 8:45
    SNR Margin: - 1.00 15.00 dB
    Line Attenuation: 42.50 25.00 dB
    Output Power: 7.33 0.05 dB
    Errored Seconds: 0 0
    Loss of Signal: 0 0
    Loss of Frame: 0 0
    CRC Errors: 3 1
    Data Rate: 3072 384

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm somewhat confused by the advice to people to downgrade; my own connection is a UTV 2Mb connection & has not been "upgraded", yet in the last 1-2 weeks my pings have been woeful (even right now a download is crawling at 11Kb/sec), with speedtest reporting between 150-180. Formerly it was around the 30-40, which was perfectally fine for some casual gaming.

I presume this is all because of the upgrade, but I can't be sure & I'm feeling extremely frustrated at this stage. The down/up stream hasn't changed & the only difference I'm experiencing is some dreadful pings. Help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm somewhat confused by the advice to people to downgrade; my own connection is a UTV 2Mb connection & has not been "upgraded", yet in the last 1-2 weeks my pings have been woeful (even right now a download is crawling at 11Kb/sec), with speedtest reporting between 150-180. Formerly it was around the 30-40, which was perfectally fine for some casual gaming.

I presume this is all because of the upgrade, but I can't be sure & I'm feeling extremely frustrated at this stage. The down/up stream hasn't changed & the only difference I'm experiencing is some dreadful pings. Help!

I was in the same situation as you a couple of weeks ago. I never got the upgrade from 2mb to 3mb on the 9th of august but from that date my pings skyrocketed too. 2 weeks later we rang eircom to get them to upgrade us to 3mb (at first they wern't going to but then we said all our neighbours got the upgrade and they gave in). Once the connection was set to 3mb after a reboot of the router pings were back down to normal again (10ms to boards.ie instead of 100!). So maybe try ringing UTV and tell them to give you the upgrade if your exchange was due it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

rc28 wrote: »
    I was in the same situation as you a couple of weeks ago. I never got the upgrade from 2mb to 3mb on the 9th of august but from that date my pings skyrocketed too. 2 weeks later we rang eircom to get them to upgrade us to 3mb (at first they wern't going to but then we said all our neighbours got the upgrade and they gave in). Once the connection was set to 3mb after a reboot of the router pings were back down to normal again (10ms to boards.ie instead of 100!). So maybe try ringing UTV and tell them to give you the upgrade if your exchange was due it.
    Yeah, ringing them should probably have been my first port of call, though hearing about people's lack of success contacting these feckers put me off the idea. The thing is, I don't even know if my exchange *was* due an upgrade; apologies if there has been somewhere posted that lists this, but I don't know of any! (The exchange is apparently Clonee, despite living in Clonsilla).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Yeah, ringing them should probably have been my first port of call, though hearing about people's lack of success contacting these feckers put me off the idea. (The exchange is apparently Clonee, despite living in Clonsilla).

Please report back if you have any success with UTV. When I rang them, I was told it was nothing to do with them and only Eircom had the ability to upgrade. Eircom won't respond to queries unless you're an Eircom customer. So Catch 22 for me :( Maybe you'll have better luck.

Please report back if you have any success with UTV. When I rang them, I was told it was nothing to do with them and only Eircom had the ability to upgrade. Eircom won't respond to queries unless you're an Eircom customer. So Catch 22 for me :( Maybe you'll have better luck.
    Hmm yeah, this is what people are being told by UTV according to other threads, so I am somewhat loathed to even try if it's going to mean a lot of fruitless running back & forth.

If this is work conducted by Eircom, have they even posted a timetable of exchanges / disruptions etc? It seems like an unholy guessing game for thousands of irate customers atm. Times like this I wish I lived in a country with decent internet connectivity. You know, like Azerbaijan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Hmm yeah, this is what people are being told by UTV according to other threads, so I am somewhat loathed to even try if it's going to mean a lot of fruitless running back & forth.

If this is work conducted by Eircom, have they even posted a timetable of exchanges / disruptions etc? It seems like an unholy guessing game for thousands of irate customers atm. Times like this I wish I lived in a country with decent internet connectivity. You know, like Azerbaijan

BT have a number checker on their site - the link is somewhere in this thread - and it allows you to see when you should have been updated. That's how I discovered I should have been 'done' on the 9th August. I emailed Eircom last week (from my Eircom email) without telling them I was with UTV, in the hope that I could get a generic response, but I was asked for my phone number before they would tell me anything. I'm trying to find someone locally with Eircom broadband to do the ringing, but they're scarce as hen's teeth - I wonder why :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

BT have a number checker on their site - the link is somewhere in this thread - and it allows you to see when you should have been updated. That's how I discovered I should have been 'done' on the 9th August. I emailed Eircom last week (from my Eircom email) without telling them I was with UTV, in the hope that I could get a generic response, but I was asked for my phone number before they would tell me anything. I'm trying to find someone locally with Eircom broadband to do the ringing, but they're scarce as hen's teeth - I wonder why :rolleyes:

I signed up with utv in the opinion that once i signed up to their fastest package (3mb) i would get the upgrade from that speed (3mb to 7.6mb or whatever it topped out at)
    Now as a result of my constant emailing and phoning i understand that they are doing me a "favour" by putting me on 4mb,surely i should be getting more than that?!?
    anyone?
    john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I signed up with utv in the opinion that once i signed up to their fastest package (3mb) i would get the upgrade from that speed (3mb to 7.6mb or whatever it topped out at)
    Now as a result of my constant emailing and phoning i understand that they are doing me a "favour" by putting me on 4mb,surely i should be getting more than that?!?
    anyone?
    john

if that's all your line can handle then there is not much you can do about. the marketing for the upgrade says " up to 7.6MB" they don't guarantee it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Forgive me for not trawling back thourgh like tons of pages on this thread.

But I assume im not the only one wanting to march into Eircom and punch Mr.Eircom in the face. Since the "upgrade" ( went from 2mn to 3mb yay) I've been having random and frequent disconnects and drops. Which pretty much ruins my gaming and downloading etc.

I really am assuming I'm not the only one, is it a nation/dublin wide thing and any sign of a fix?

Was going to jump to bt or upc's 20+mb lines but hearing breeze that everyones lines just dropping. Jesus broadband is just a mess in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I decided to move from my "up to 7.6 Mb" connection, which is realistically 4 Mb up from 3 Mb, down to 3 Mb as I felt I was being ripped off. The change should take affect from this evening so I'll be saving myself going from the €48.40 price to €29.99.

I don't know about others in a similar situation but €18.41 is too much to pay for an extra 1 Mb in speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Anyone know when the post september upgrades will begin ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Forgive me for not trawling back thourgh like tons of pages on this thread.

But I assume im not the only one wanting to march into Eircom and punch Mr.Eircom in the face. Since the "upgrade" ( went from 2mn to 3mb yay) I've been having random and frequent disconnects and drops. Which pretty much ruins my gaming and downloading etc.

I really am assuming I'm not the only one, is it a nation/dublin wide thing and any sign of a fix?

Was going to jump to bt or upc's 20+mb lines but hearing breeze that everyones lines just dropping. Jesus broadband is just a mess in this country.

Got disconnected the past two sundays at about the same time for some reason. I don't know why. I just moved into the house. Used to have IBB in the last place and it didn't randomly disconnect me like this. It used to slow down at times and mad pings but never really died completely especially not two weeks in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

brim4brim wrote: »
    Got disconnected the past two sundays at about the same time for some reason. I don't know why. I just moved into the house. Used to have IBB in the last place and it didn't randomly disconnect me like this. It used to slow down at times and mad pings but never really died completely especially not two weeks in a row.

lads...if your a gamer and need your ping times DONT UPGRADE...

trust me..I know. Im on to BT for last 6 weeks(when upgrade kicked in)..ie 3meg to 5meg(my line cant handle anymore)...

but thats not the problem...my pings from 18ms to 70s...on average cod4 (call of duty 4 - fab game!!) pings were 40-60ms...now if lucky 80ms.. so if you a SERIOUS gamers...dont upgrade...

in saying that..was on the phone today to bt, and the person knew ALL about internet (interleaving, etc etc)..and is sending out a tech. guy to see if he can improve pings...so really its not a big deal...

like i said, how often do u actully get 5meg downloads anyway?

so long story short..if they dont fix it...im download grading to 3meg with my lovely pings!

m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Sconsey

OK, I'm on a 2Mb line with UTV, it's fine for gaming, I can usually find a handful of TF2 servers with a ping below 50. I have no reason for going from 2Mb to 3Mb if it friggs my latency, since I don't download that much, gaming would be the priority.

Is there any way I can prevent the 'upgrade' to 3Mb? for the purposes of maintaining my latency...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Pings only get affected by the top upgrade i.e. 3mb to 7.6mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

Sconsey wrote: »
    OK, I'm on a 2Mb line with UTV, it's fine for gaming, I can usually find a handful of TF2 servers with a ping below 50. I have no reason for going from 2Mb to 3Mb if it friggs my latency, since I don't download that much, gaming would be the priority.

Is there any way I can prevent the 'upgrade' to 3Mb? for the purposes of maintaining my latency...

Thanks

yeah..like last lad said...u will 3meg upgrade ..this "should" not affect your lovely pings!

m.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement