Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the upgrade programm may be paused as the whole system about to fall over as you can from the threads com-plaingi about speeds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

irishgeo wrote: »
    the upgrade programm may be paused as the whole system about to fall over as you can from the threads com-plaingi about speeds.
    So I'm guessing Eircom were in no fit position to provide this countrywide upgrade, in which case the obvious questions are: Why the f*ck was it done in the first place, and what the f*ck are they gonna do about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,233 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Anyone know when the post september upgrades will begin ?

I asked Eircom about Dundalk a few days ago and this is the reply. Another post here from Limerick the same, dont know if it applies to Letrim or anywhere else.

Broadband speed upgrades to eircom's 2Mb and 3Mb broadband products will take place in the Dundalk exchange over the weekend of 12th September. Qualifying customers on the 2Mb broadband product will see their broadband download speed increase to up to 3Mb and customers on the 3Mb broadband product will see their download speed increase to up to 7.6Mb.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Very poor upgrade indeed, why did they put interleving on the highest setting when most people are only getting 4 to 6meg, disconnections and higher than ISDN pings. If they left the interleving at the minimum setting would it really have made much of a difference to peoples connection speeds and stability of connection, at least everyones pings would have been grand. I thought the whole point of putting interleving at the levels Eircom have set the 7.6meg package at was to give everyone a smooth connection and connect as close to the maxiumum speed as possible. Also all exchanges should have been upgraded to adsl2+ and the 7.6meg package put on adsl2+ so that we all would have stood a much better chance of actually getting 7.6meg.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭smiddyboy

Hmmmm..... i just got this response when enquiring about my exchange

We are upgrading an additional 40 exchanges this coming weekend and
    unfortunately Johnstown, Co. Kilkenny is not one of them. Additional
    transmission work is required at the exchange before the upgrade can
    take place however I do not currently have a finalised date for when
    this will be completed. I would be happy to update you when I have
    further information available.

Not a happy bunny here at all. I wonder what the 'transmission work' entails??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

after a couple of (brief) outages over the weekend i was upgraded from 2 to 3. i'm on bt and i noticed some improvment with my torrents. pings increased slightly, but as i'm not a gamer it didnt worry me. was very suprised when i was downloading a very healthy (but small) torrent that i got a 300kb/s transfer!!!

moate exchange by the way

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

smiddyboy wrote: »
    Hmmmm..... i just got this response when enquiring about my exchange

Not a happy bunny here at all. I wonder what the 'transmission work' entails??
    Who did you ask & what ISP are you with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I asked Eircom about Dundalk a few days ago and this is the reply. Another post here from Limerick the same, dont know if it applies to Letrim or anywhere else.

Broadband speed upgrades to eircom's 2Mb and 3Mb broadband products will take place in the Dundalk exchange over the weekend of 12th September. Qualifying customers on the 2Mb broadband product will see their broadband download speed increase to up to 3Mb and customers on the 3Mb broadband product will see their download speed increase to up to 7.6Mb.
    Thanks very much for that mate, I'm going to give Eircom a ring and see how I get on.

Phase 3 Upgrades for the 11th Spetember:
    Achill Sound
    Arklow
    Ballina
    Bandon
    Blacktrench
    Bunnacurry
    Carna
    Carrick
    Carrick-On-Shannon
    Cavan
    Churchfield
    Clonmel
    Crettyard
    Drogheda
    Dundalk
    Ennis
    Enniskerry
    Fintown
    Foynes
    Gorey
    Johnstown, Co. Kildare
    Kilkenny
    Kilkerrin
    Killarney
    Letterkenny
    Limerick
    Mallow
    Maynooth
    Mullingar
    Naas
    Navan
    Portlaoise
    Powerscourt
    Quaker Road
    Rathedmond
    Rerrin
    Tamney
    Waterford
    Waterford Tycor
    Wexford

No luck for me yet.

Where did you get that list from?

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Cool cheers. So that confirms that my own exchange (Clonee) has been "upgraded". Harumph.
    If its on the Phase 1&2 list then yep. It'll be a while before mine is done unfortunately :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭rvd156

Ballinamore should be on that list....God damn it....

I know this is off the point slightly....But could anybody advise me on what the best broadband and phone package to get off eircom??

I don't have a landline connected and really wanna get broadband up and going??

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks...

Also if you know of a cheaper way to get broadband that would be good because im not really bothered about the phone.....

rvd156 wrote: »
    Ballinamore should be on that list....God damn it....
    Lol, I know the crappy exchange probably isn't helping :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

So, according to that news information, Lifford has dropped off all the lists - it WAS scheduled for 9th August :confused:
    I wouldn't care if I never saw this upgrade, but I just want 'broadband' speeds back. 41 Kbps download today - it's taking me back a good few years (and no nostalgia) as I watch pages load piece by piece and I twiddle my thumbs waiting :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Just downgraded from 7.6Mb to 3Mb. Wasn't supposed to happen until next week according to UTV, but Eircom seem to be on the ball. I only confirmed to UTV that I wanted it done today.

My Interleaving Depth has gone down from 64/8 (down/up) to 32/8. Not much difference in ping times, I might add. I don't foresee there being any real changes until it goes back down to 1/1 like it was before the *upgrades*.

The only problem is that the speeds are very slow. Then again, it was the same earlier today when I was on 7.6Mb. Erratic speed test results from 100-500Kb/s on many servers. I'll keep an eye on it over the course of the next few days, and if nothing is resolved, I will be logging a fault, even though my SNR is 32/19 (down/up) and my Line Attenuation is only 3/2.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭smiddyboy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Who did you ask & what ISP are you with?

I am with eircom. I sent the email to the Eircom press office.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Just downgraded from 7.6Mb to 3Mb. Wasn't supposed to happen until next week according to UTV, but Eircom seem to be on the ball. I only confirmed to UTV that I wanted it done today.

My Interleaving Depth has gone down from 64/8 (down/up) to 32/8. Not much difference in ping times, I might add. I don't foresee there being any real changes until it goes back down to 1/1 like it was before the *upgrades*.

The only problem is that the speeds are very slow. Then again, it was the same earlier today when I was on 7.6Mb. Erratic speed test results from 100-500Kb/s on many servers. I'll keep an eye on it over the course of the next few days, and if nothing is resolved, I will be logging a fault, even though my SNR is 32/19 (down/up) and my Line Attenuation is only 3/2.

I thought the interleaving Depth for everyone on the 3meg packages was still 1/1 regardless of weather you've been upgraded or downgraded to 3meg??

Gonzo wrote: »
    I thought the interleaving Depth for everyone on the 3meg packages was still 1/1 regardless of weather you've been upgraded or downgraded to 3meg??
    Perhaps it's only because I was downgraded today and it takes a little while for the DSL sync to stabilize fully. I hope it is only temporary, like maybe for a week or so.

• Advertisement

I rang eircom today to find out about my exchange and the guy said it had been upgraded. I then rang UTV and got the usual stuff about the current network problems and she said I should be on the new higher speed once the network problem is fixed.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Perhaps it's only because I was downgraded today and it takes a little while for the DSL sync to stabilize fully. I hope it is only temporary, like maybe for a week or so.
    Hey, i hope your right cause ive downgraded the the speed is fine but the pings are still kinda bad, 30ms to boards and heanet.

Hey, i hope your right cause ive downgraded the the speed is fine but the pings are still kinda bad, 30ms to boards and heanet.
    Yeah, a slight decrease, but still too high. Same's happening here.

Yeah, a slight decrease, but still too high. Same's happening here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Apparently my exchange is being upgraded today.. no difference in speed, anyone else being upgraded today?

exiot wrote: »
    Apparently my exchange is being upgraded today.. no difference in speed, anyone else being upgraded today?

I'm in Limerick but I don't think it'll come into effect until after the weekend.

exiot wrote: »
    I rang and and was told my exchange was done too. Maybe the new speed won't be implemented until the huge network problem is fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Will be aging Netopia 3347W router be able to handle the upgrade, or had I best plug it out before it catches fire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Bodan

I think there is going to be a major upgrade tonight for the rest of the country. It's Eircoms Phase 3. Here is the list of exchanges about to be upgraded.

Achill Sound
    Arklow
    Ballina
    Bandon
    Blacktrench
    Bunnacurry
    Carna
    Carrick
    Carrick-On-Shannon
    Cavan
    Churchfield
    Clonmel
    Crettyard
    Drogheda
    Dundalk
    Ennis
    Enniskerry
    Fintown
    Foynes
    Gorey
    Johnstown, Co. Kildare
    Kilkenny
    Kilkerrin
    Killarney
    Letterkenny
    Limerick
    Mallow
    Maynooth
    Mullingar
    Naas
    Navan
    Portlaoise
    Powerscourt
    Quaker Road
    Rathedmond
    Rerrin
    Tamney
    Waterford
    Waterford Tycor
    Wexford

http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/pdf/Phase3.pdf
    Latest News
    eircom broadband Speeds Upgrade Programme - Update

(Wednesday, 10th September 2008) eircom is currently implementing a series of DSL broadband speed upgrades which will significantly increase Internet speeds available to a large portion of eircom's retail and wholesale customers.

The upgrade programme consists of two stages:

1. The installation of ADSL2+ equipment in eircom telephone exchanges
    2. An automated software upgrade for the majority of eircom retail and wholesale customers currently on 2Mb or 3Mb broadband.

Stage 1 - ADSL2+ Upgrade
    The installation of ADSL2+ equipment in eircom telephone exchanges allows eircom to offer speeds of up to 12Mb on its network. Existing broadband customers, previously on 4Mb or 6Mb broadband, that have a line which qualifies for the faster speeds and who are connected to one of the following exchanges have been upgraded to 10Mb and 12Mb respectively.

View a list of completed exchanges
    Stage 2 - Automated Software Upgrades
    The automated software upgrade for eircom retail and wholesale DSL customers is underway and will take place over a number of phases. Customers on the 2Mb product, whose lines pre-qualify will be upgraded to 3Mb and customers on the 3Mb product whose lines pre-qualify will be upgraded to 7.6Mb.

Phases 1 and 2

Phases 1 and 2 of this upgrade are now completed.

Qualifying customers in these areas have already been upgraded

Phase 3

The upgrade schedule for Phase 3 has now been finalised.

Exchanges scheduled for upgrade on the 11th September

A schedule for broadband upgrades for all remaining exchanges will be published as soon as it has been finalised and other operators have been informed.
    10:48 Wednesday 10 September 2008

• Advertisement

Tralee is missing from that list, the north exchange in the town. I'm in Tralee but on the Killerisk exchange, which was upgraded in July.

I wonder if they'll sort out the slow network problems with this Phase 3, along with reducing the Interleaving Depth. Really, it's about time they thought about these issues as a priority.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement