Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mickeyangel

got the upgrade from 2mb to 3mb now my download speeds are crap anywhere from 209kbps 789kbps rang support ran the tests still no joy?
    the evening i got the upgrade to 3mbs all applications spot on ie no lag on video streams.
    got back onto eircom and reverted back to 2mbs but still having problem with download speedsie 989kbps?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thats lovely techbuster, in future don't post spam
    permabanned from Broadband

We now return to normal programming :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Bodan wrote: »
    I think there is going to be a major upgrade tonight for the rest of the country. It's Eircoms Phase 3. Here is the list of exchanges about to be upgraded.

Achill Sound
    Arklow
    Ballina
    Bandon
    Blacktrench
    Bunnacurry
    Carna
    Carrick
    Carrick-On-Shannon
    Cavan
    Churchfield
    Clonmel
    Crettyard
    Drogheda
    Dundalk
    Ennis
    Enniskerry
    Fintown
    Foynes
    Gorey
    Johnstown, Co. Kildare
    Kilkenny
    Kilkerrin
    Killarney
    Letterkenny
    Limerick
    Mallow
    Maynooth
    Mullingar
    Naas
    Navan
    Portlaoise
    Powerscourt
    Quaker Road
    Rathedmond
    Rerrin
    Tamney
    Waterford
    Waterford Tycor
    Wexford

http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/pdf/Phase3.pdf
    Has anyone on that list been upgraded yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Drogheda a no as yet for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Is there a phase 4? Because Carlow isn't on that list

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

just checked this thread now and saw the phase 3 list.....im on the drogheda exchange and can confirm ive been upgraded.....syncing at 7616/672 but i have been put on high interleaving so il be on the phone tomorrow to get that changed back to low

edit: didnt notice that much of a difference playing call of duty tonight, even though the pings have doubled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,233 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Dundalk done as well. Synching at 6144/512.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Bodan

I have just been upgraded here in Waterford. Syncing at 6144/512 (kbps) :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Limerick Roaches St. upgraded!!....stats showing 7616 down and 672 up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Bodan wrote: »
    I think there is going to be a major upgrade tonight for the rest of the country. It's Eircoms Phase 3. Here is the list of exchanges about to be upgraded.

Achill Sound
    Arklow
    Ballina
    Bandon
    Blacktrench
    Bunnacurry
    Carna
    Carrick
    Carrick-On-Shannon
    Cavan
    Churchfield
    Clonmel
    Crettyard
    Drogheda
    Dundalk
    Ennis
    Enniskerry
    Fintown
    Foynes
    Gorey
    Johnstown, Co. Kildare
    Kilkenny
    Kilkerrin
    Killarney
    Letterkenny
    Limerick
    Mallow
    Maynooth
    Mullingar
    Naas
    Navan
    Portlaoise
    Powerscourt
    Quaker Road
    Rathedmond
    Rerrin
    Tamney
    Waterford
    Waterford Tycor
    Wexford

http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/pdf/Phase3.pdf
    Mullingar was upgraded 3 weeks ago

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 7616 kbps 672 kbps
    Line Attenuation 29.0 db 16.0 db
    Noise Margin 13.3 db 13.0 db

Noise margin has changed.....?

Also in Limerick and upgraded to 3mb. :) Does this mean my download limit is now at 30gb or do I have to wait until the start of next month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

letterkenny appears to have been upgraded although im not recieving near what my line can handle.

from 3072 - 4096 down
    no change on upload still 384

interleavings gone to a depth of 64/4 and my snr hasnt changed.

Channel: Interleave
    Trellis: ON
    Line Status: No Defect
    Training Status: Showtime
    Down Up
    SNR (dB): 12.2 17.0
    Attn(dB): 47.0 26.0
    Pwr(dBm): 16.8 2.1
    Max(Kbps): 6880 1176
    Rate (Kbps): 4096 384

anyone with any ideas, ill ring them later after i get some sleep, just off night shift :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe this is a stupid question, but why the hell are Eircom proceeding with the rest of the rollouts, when the first two phases have quite clearly messed up the connections for hundreds, if not potentially thousands of customers? I would have thought they would pause this rollout until it's sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

Portlaoise exchange must of got upgraded this morning as i'm getting 7.5mb download speeds-woop! woop!. Only thing is that my pings have gone up to 100+ms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

The Navan exchange also got upgraded this morning. I'm on Bt and my connection has gone mad. its up and down every few seconds. I got onto Bt support and they tried to update the firmware on my netopis router but could not find the latest file. In the end I found the correct one myseld and upgraded it.

However Bts response was just to wait and see what happens during the day and see if it stays up. Hence my dsl is unusable at the moment and I am using my backup 3g work connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭j_nolan

Upgraded in Wexford this morning.

Router syncing at 6560/672, Speedtest at 5583/535.

Now, I know shag-all about this, but why is my speed 2 Mbits lower than 7.5? Does this 'new' technology take distance from exchanged more into account or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Dundalk done as well. Synching at 6144/512.
    Has it ??? I'm still on 3MB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Good evening from the Arklow jury...

Router says : "DownStream Connection Speed 7616 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 672 kbps"

Was previously on BT 3MB (mb...whatever it is)

Tried downloading iTunes and it was a solid 800 kB/sec all the way through pretty much. This is on a 78.x.x.x IP number.

If Dundalk has been upgraded this is my 3MB :mad:

322127110.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Eircom dix points!

Drogheda

DownStream Connection Speed 7616 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 672 kbps"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

jimmeh wrote: »
    letterkenny appears to have been upgraded although im not recieving near what my line can handle.

from 3072 - 4096 down
    no change on upload still 384

interleavings gone to a depth of 64/4 and my snr hasnt changed.

Channel: Interleave
    Trellis: ON
    Line Status: No Defect
    Training Status: Showtime
    Down Up
    SNR (dB): 12.2 17.0
    Attn(dB): 47.0 26.0
    Pwr(dBm): 16.8 2.1
    Max(Kbps): 6880 1176
    Rate (Kbps): 4096 384

anyone with any ideas, ill ring them later after i get some sleep, just off night shift :/

Im in Simmilar situation to you I think, my modem is definitely capable of a bit higher as well, thought i'd sync at 6meg or even 6.5

SNR Margin: 19.00 7.00 dB
    Line Attenuation: 37.00 19.00 dB
    Output Power: 0.00 0.00 dB
    Errored Seconds: 0 0
    Loss of Signal: 0 0
    Loss of Frame: 0 0
    CRC Errors: 0 5
    Data Rate: 5120 512

Maybe Eircom are limiting some of us who cant get the full speed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭swoofer

on ennis exchange, about 2 miles from it, checked speed on netgear router just now, its D/L 4096 u/l 384. I was on the 3mb package. Do I have to log on and re-connect to get a faster speed or have they put me on wrong package?? 4096 from 3072 FFS after all the waiting.

totally noob when it comes to this BB stuff. I suppose they can quote the " up to " again.

gb--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

pixelburp wrote: »
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but why the hell are Eircom proceeding with the rest of the rollouts, when the first two phases have quite clearly messed up the connections for hundreds, if not potentially thousands of customers?

because they haven't messed up any connections maybe?

Those that could get higher speeds got higher speeds. Those that couldn't aren't going to change so why delay? If you're talking about ping times and interleaving well then that's a "product feature" not a problem from their point of view. They built the packages with high interleaving knowing the likely effect that would have on pings.

Given that there are nearly 600k dsl lines in the country now, and the vast majority of those that are going to be upgraded, have been upgraded at this point what makes you think that a couple of hundred gaming issues would change anything for them?

Joe Public is happy with his higher speeds and eircom are coining it in, why stop?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Iago wrote: »

Those that could get higher speeds got higher speeds. Those that couldn't aren't going to change so why delay? If you're talking about ping times and interleaving well then that's a "product feature" not a problem from their point of view. They built the packages with high interleaving knowing the likely effect that would have on pings.

Given that there are nearly 600k dsl lines in the country now, and the vast majority of those that are going to be upgraded, have been upgraded at this point what makes you think that a couple of hundred gaming issues would change anything for them?

Joe Public is happy with his higher speeds and eircom are coining it in, why stop?

Unfortunately i think that the above is a very accurate point of view, I really cant see Eircom changing the whole interleving thing on the new upgrades just to satisfy some xbox live and Counter-strike Source gamers. What I would like to know tho is was it a good thing to stick the interleving at max level, would there have been more stability issues if Eircom kept the interleving very low as it used to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

If that were only true! I'm not a gamer and I haven't even been upgraded yet but, like many others posting on this board (UTV, BT etc), my capacity just to connect and surf has gone to hell. I have been getting speeds as low as 37Kbps downloading this last week or more. We've all been told it's a direct result of these Eircom 'upgrades', which others have got, not us :mad: and have also been informed that there's no end in sight for the foreseeable future. The theory now is that the capacity just isn't there to supply any kind of decent broadband to everyone, so I sympathise with anyone who resents the continuation of these so called 'upgrades'.
    If this continues, dial-up will be MY only option :( and I'll have to ditch broadband - no sense in paying for what you're not getting.

If that were only true! I'm not a gamer and I haven't even been upgraded yet but, like many others posting on this board (UTV, BT etc), my capacity just to connect and surf has gone to hell. I have been getting speeds as low as 37Kbps downloading this last week or more. We've all been told it's a direct result of these Eircom 'upgrades', which others have got, not us :mad: and have also been informed that there's no end in sight for the foreseeable future. The theory now is that the capacity just isn't there to supply any kind of decent broadband to everyone, so I sympathise with anyone who resents the continuation of these so called 'upgrades'.
    Same here, why do we have to suffer when we haven't been upgraded yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Surely it's not just gamers; even simple things like video or audio streaming is out of the question with the slower speeds,so Joe Public watching their YouTube videos are also affected by the wobbly connections.

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Same here, why do we have to suffer when we haven't been upgraded yet.
    I'm on BT 3MB and the upgrade happened here today and because of it I now have to downgrade from my what use to be stable 3MB to 2Mb maybe even 1MB just to catter for the few that can get the upgraded speeds :mad::mad:

Eircom should never of bothered with this upgrade crap :mad:

322177486.png

• Advertisement

hellboy99 wrote: »

Eircom should never of bothered with this upgrade crap :mad:

322177486.png
    Its good to improve the countries BB network but they really should have researched it more to see if every line could handle it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement