Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Looks like it. Those stats are not good.

I finally took the plunge and ordered from BT. Won't have it for the usual 15 days or whatever. Can't get more than "...up to 3Mb..." on my line though - maybe it's 'cos of the distance from the exchange, I dunno, but that's what they told me.
    Anyway, how do I generate those stats ? Is it through the router itself ?
    And I'm sure there's a link somewhere on this forum explaining how to interpret the results, and potentially how to influence the stats...
    Any help appreciated. I'm a novice at this but willing to learn..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

And I'm sure there's a link somewhere on this forum explaining how to interpret the results, and potentially how to influence the stats...
    Any help appreciated. I'm a novice at this but willing to learn..
    I think this may ne the link you are on about: http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx It shows your max possible speed that your line can handle. You'll need to get your attenuation and snr margin from your router. I'm not sure how you do that with BT's router but someone may be able to help you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cian1500ww wrote: »
    I think this may ne the link you are on about: http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx It shows your max possible speed that your line can handle. You'll need to get your attenuation and snr margin from your router. I'm not sure how you do that with BT's router but someone may be able to help you.

that website is completely off, before this upgrade that website told me I could get over 7meg from adsl1 using my modems stats but im only connecting at 5meg. I put in my stats again today and it still tells me I can receive the full 8meg of adsl1. It also tells me I can receive 12meg using ADSL2+, I bet when that comes around i'll be lucky to get 8meg from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Gonzo wrote: »
    that website is completely off, before this upgrade that website told me I could get over 7meg from adsl1 using my modems stats but im only connecting at 5meg. I put in my stats again today and it still tells me I can receive the full 8meg of adsl1. It also tells me I can receive 12meg using ADSL2+, I bet when that comes around i'll be lucky to get 8meg from it.

You need to phone eircom and get fully upgraded to 7.6mbs, I was upgraded to 5.1mbs and phone eircom, they upgraded me to 7.6mbs but the speed was roughly the same as my 3mbs connection, pings doubled so I asked be downgraded, pings are still bad so I'll be phoning again...

I just got off the phone with eircom, I downgraded from 7.6mbs to 3mbs and they reduced interleaving to the lowest possible, my ping went from 61 to 29, happy days again :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

DonJose wrote: »
    You need to phone eircom and get fully upgraded to 7.6mbs, I was upgraded to 5.1mbs and phone eircom, they upgraded me to 7.6mbs but the speed was roughly the same as my 3mbs connection, pings doubled so I asked be downgraded, pings are still bad so I'll be phoning again...

Did your pings double after teh upgrade from 5.1 to 7.6? im wondering coz mine trebled from my old 3meg to the 5.1 now. if mine double again that would mean all my pings would be 100ms+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Bt have now downgraded me and my BB connection is working again but instead of being on 2mb, my connection is only 1024/128kpbs

I have had a reliable 2mb connection for 4 years and now I am being told that the maximum my line will supprt is 1mb. needless to say I am livid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭token56

My line has just been upgraded from 2Mb to 3Mb, are these stats any good, could my line handle much more, say 7.6Mb?

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 10.50 16.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 44.50 27.00
    CRC Errors 239 7

Gonzo wrote: »
    Did your pings double after teh upgrade from 5.1 to 7.6? im wondering coz mine trebled from my old 3meg to the 5.1 now. if mine double again that would mean all my pings would be 100ms+

The pings on 5.1 and 7.6 stayed the same roughly 61 ping, but I didn't notice much of a speed difference on eircoms speedtest, the average speed being 2500 which was what I was getting on 3mbs. If you downgrade make sure you ask eircom to lower the interleaving otherwise the pings will stay high. When the 7.6 package has low pings then I'll upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Furp wrote: »
    Bt have now downgraded me and my BB connection is working again but instead of being on 2mb, my connection is only 1024/128kpbs

I have had a reliable 2mb connection for 4 years and now I am being told that the maximum my line will supprt is 1mb. needless to say I am livid.
    That sucks, you have 2MB without problems and now because of the upgrades your put down to 1MB, thats a great way to run a business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭swoofer

I am 1.926 miles from the exchange, ie 3.1km but here is what my line says

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 4096 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 45.0 db 23.5 db
    Noise Margin 11.7 db 17.0 db

speed test is very erratic.

gb--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

In Mullingar, I just got upgraded from 3mbs to 5.1mbs, is it my line that wont allow me to upgrade to 7.6mbs?

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 5120 512
    SN Margin (dB) 10.00 14.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 40.50 21.00
    CRC Errors 6 1
    are you sure you just got upgraded? im in Mullingar also and got upgraded 4-5 weeks ago.

Yeah looks like your attenuation is maxing you out, mine is at 52db and i can only get 4096 download/386upload

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

I just got off the phone with eircom, I downgraded from 7.6mbs to 3mbs and they reduced interleaving to the lowest possible, my ping went from 61 to 29, happy days again :D

glad to hear that..

BT are mad to keep me on option 3( 5meg best i get)..

so tomorrow, ill ring...this time they better down grade me..

and its going on for 3 weeks now..how long did it take to downgrade?

m.
    ps: before upgrade 18ms to boards.ie now...77ms ! no good on cod4 !

The pings on 5.1 and 7.6 stayed the same roughly 61 ping, but I didn't notice much of a speed difference on eircoms speedtest, the average speed being 2500 which was what I was getting on 3mbs. If you downgrade make sure you ask eircom to lower the interleaving otherwise the pings will stay high. When the 7.6 package has low pings then I'll upgrade.

61 ping is just ok for gaming i think. yeah, thanks for tip on lowering interleaving.

m.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    are you sure you just got upgraded? im in Mullingar also and got upgraded 4-5 weeks ago.

Yeah looks like your attenuation is maxing you out, mine is at 52db and i can only get 4096 download/386upload

Yes I'm sure it only happened over the weekend, I've been resetting my modem over the past couple of weeks without any changes. It upgraded over the weekend to 5.1 then I phoned eircom to see if I could get 7.6, I could but the download speed didn't rise much, but the pings were too high.

mattman wrote: »
    61 ping is just ok for gaming i think. yeah, thanks for tip on lowering interleaving.

m.

61 ping is what I get on speedtest thats down to 28 today, COD4 pings were in the 150's on UK servers and 75 on Irish servers, thats too much.

ps: before upgrade 18ms to boards.ie now...77ms ! no good on cod4 !

My boards.ie ping was 50 on 7.6, now its 18 after the downgrade, but I had to ask for interleaving to be lowered, if interleaving was not lowered the ping would remain high.

I'm trying to sort out the line here in work, the stats are absolutely appalling. They're on the 2 meg package, upgraded to 3 meg. (Clontarf exchange)

It syncs at 1568/320 with an SNR margin of 4/6 and attenuation of 34/16. But I also noticed from the modem's stats that the line is on fastpath. :confused: The modem's a Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7140, same one I have myself.

The connection is still stable though, an average ping of 13ms to boards. I tried a Zyxel BT modem and that synced at 3072/320 but was extremely unstable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

my pings to boards.ie after the upgrade are around the 160ms mark :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

hellboy99 wrote: »
    That sucks, you have 2MB without problems and now because of the upgrades your put down to 1MB, thats a great way to run a business.
    Indeed it is I got onto Bt Tech support again today and they where good at being honest the guy said that I will have to leave it at 1mb connection for a few weeks until all this has died down and to make sure my connection is stable.

At that point they will be able to upgrade it again to 2mb because at the moment if they upgrade it, the connection will just switch back to 3mb and they have no control over this at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

finally got our 3 meg upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Furp wrote: »
    Indeed it is I got onto Bt Tech support again today and they where good at being honest the guy said that I will have to leave it at 1mb connection for a few weeks until all this has died down and to make sure my connection is stable.

At that point they will be able to upgrade it again to 2mb because at the moment if they upgrade it, the connection will just switch back to 3mb and they have no control over this at the moment.
    Thats odd, they told me the opposite and not to downgrade :confused: and wait a week.

My ping has hit a new record today of 467ms.

My boards.ie ping was 50 on 7.6, now its 18 after the downgrade, but I had to ask for interleaving to be lowered, if interleaving was not lowered the ping would remain high.

how long did it take from the time u called eircom to the time the interleaving was lowered ?

thanks.

m.

i switched from BT to Eircom today..could take up to 3 weeks..worth it..if i get my 18ms pings back...

Yes I'm sure it only happened over the weekend, I've been resetting my modem over the past couple of weeks without any changes. It upgraded over the weekend to 5.1 then I phoned eircom to see if I could get 7.6, I could but the download speed didn't rise much, but the pings were too high.
    thats weird, are you far from the town? i just find it weird that i got mine last month( im only 5 mins drive from towm ), my pings to boards.ie are 50ms also, its damn annoying for BF2 online on UK servers and i just moved so cant compare it with previous pings, basically had 3mb the day of moving, 2-3 days later it was 3mb+,rewired gaff and its 4mb now
    how long did it take from the time u called eircom to the time the interleaving was lowered ?

thanks.

m.

i switched from BT to Eircom today..could take up to 3 weeks..worth it..if i get my 18ms pings back...
    Have to damit, its a good ploy by Eircom to get customers to switch back to them since theyre in charge of interleaving and probably impossible to change that from any of the other ISPs

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

It was instant, the guy I spoke to was typing the interleaving change into his system while I was talking to him, I then refreshed speedtest.net and noticed the ping change from 61 to 29.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

if your on the home professional package and they lowered your interleaving then your back on the pre upgrade speed.

you might be better off getting them to change you to the home plus pack and save yourself at least €15 a month. it should also be low interleaving

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

my broadband lost sync and cut off for a few minutes just now, i was thinking an upgrade was coming there for a second. still reporting 4096kbps though

slade_x wrote: »
    my broadband lost sync and cut off for a few minutes just now, i was thinking an upgrade was coming there for a second. still reporting 4096kbps though
    Are you sure you can get higher synchs? my attenuation is 52 and i can only get a max of 4096/386 also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

slade_x wrote: »

Definitely sounds like you have already been upgraded and your line just can't handle anything more than 4mbit. Shouldn't be possible to have more than 3072 on a residential package unless you have been upgraded. (presuming you are on residential because if you were on a 4mbit business package should have been upgraded long ago).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Any date set for the next round of updates?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement