Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

kaizersoze wrote: »
    4 meg to 10 will be automatic when the upgrades are done. 10 meg doesn't exist at present so you can't ring and request it.

6 meg to 12 will also be automatic but will only be available on the larger urban exchanges. It can be requested now if you're on one of the 40 exchanges.

After the upgrades are done the 2, 4 & 6 meg products won't exist.

What about those of us still stuck on 1 meg as the line is too poor to allow a faster service? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Altreab wrote: »
    What about those of us still stuck on 1 meg as the line is too poor to allow a faster service? :eek:

The 1 meg package is not being upgraded so it's staying as-is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Lines are not supposed to be upgraded at all, you get what you get ( or not) and thats that.

1Meg packages are not being upgraded either for fear that the 56% of eircom customers with 1meg may have _issues_ .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Lines are not supposed to be upgraded at all, you get what you get ( or not) and thats that.

Should have known...

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Sponge Bob wrote: »

1Meg packages are not being upgraded either for fear that the 56% of eircom customers with 1meg may have _issues_ .

Eircom will have a better chance of enticing the 1m/bit customers onto more expensive packages after the upgrades. I think it's all about money! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I wish they would update the cap rather than the speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I wish they would update the cap rather than the speed

Perhaps. The cap is not a technical issue requiring upgrading, its just a question of what package you have. Although backbone improvements would be needed to allow higher caps all round. However most people couldn't care less about the cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Altreab wrote: »

If the new 3Mbit package is using ADSL2+, then you might be able to squeeze more juice out of it than your current 1MBit limited ADSL package perhaps.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

So lads whats the craic with this? I see some people getting 10meg+ results on eircom and no sign of others being upgraded, have eircom upgraded some people? Which exchanges are the ones currently updated if this is the case? Is it only people on the higher 4meg+ packages whove been upgraded currently?

Nick :)

yoyo wrote: »
    So lads whats the craic with this? I see some people getting 10meg+ results on eircom and no sign of others being upgraded, have eircom upgraded some people? Which exchanges are the ones currently updated if this is the case?

The new 12 meg is available from Eircom at 40 exchanges for the princely sum of €169 exVAT.
    BALLYBODEN
    LUCAN BALLYDOWD
    BALLYCOOLIN
    MALAHIDE
    BEGGARS BUSH
    MAYNOOTH
    BELCAMP
    MERRION
    BLANCHARDSTOWN
    NANGOR ROAD
    BRAY
    NEWLANDS CROSS
    CABRA
    NORTH MAIN
    CELBRIDGE
    NUTLEY
    CLONTARF
    PORTMARNOCK
    COOLOCK
    PRIORY PARK
    CROWN ALLEY
    RATHCOOLE
    CRUMLIN
    RATHMINES
    CUSTOMS HS DOCKS
    ROCHESTOWN
    DOLPHINS BARN
    SANDYFORD AEH
    DUNDRUM
    SANDYFORD
    DUN LAOGHAIRE
    SHANKILL
    EASTPOINT
    SUMMERHILL
    FINGLAS
    SUTTON
    FOXROCK
    SWORDS
    LEIXLIP
    TERENURE
    Is it only people on the higher 4meg+ packages whove been upgraded currently?
    4 & 6 meg (businesses) are being upgraded first (March - May) although I haven't seen much sign of it. 2 & 3 meg to be done in June.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

People are paying that much :O, I see thanks lol, I'm on the BalleyBoden exchange so hopefully can expect a upgrade shortly :P Thanks man

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

Praetorian wrote: »
    That's a fast connection you have there. Is that an Eircom 12 m/bit package?

Yes. 12m down, 1m up.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Shadow-Lord

When are the business customers been upgraded on the Cork exchanges.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It's gonna be interesting with the speed increases...we'll see alot more line quality issues and unsatisfied customers. It'll show they dire state of the infrastructure in Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

apparently things are fairly bad in the UK as well, there was a report on channel 4 news yesterday saying many customers on 8meg connections in the UK can barely manage 3meg with most under 5meg. The report also showed some graphic design agency in the countryside just outside London paying for an 8meg service but when they did the speedtest they werent even getting half a meg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I'm with IOL Broadband and called BT - who took over IOLBB - to enquire about 8Mb. I was told that I'd have to call their sales line and order a BT line (LLU) if I wanted 8Mb.

I'm assuming that this info is wrong and that my line, which belongs to Eircom, will be upgraded in time just like an Eircom Broadband customer ?!

ZEN

ZENER wrote: »
    I'm with IOL Broadband and called BT - who took over IOLBB - to enquire about 8Mb. I was told that I'd have to call their sales line and order a BT line (LLU) if I wanted 8Mb.

I'm assuming that this info is wrong and that my line, which belongs to Eircom, will be upgraded in time just like an Eircom Broadband customer ?!

ZEN

No. That information is correct. If you want 8 meg now from BT then LLU is the way you'll have to go. Thats assumimg you're on one of their upgraded exchanges. The new Eircom speed doesn't exist yet and when it does it'll be 7.6, not 8.

If you're on the 3 meg package now then you'll automatically be upgraded to 7.6 in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭BROWNE51

I am on a 4 meg business plus line in clane ,co kildare...rang eircom re the upgrade and was told my line would be only upgraded to 7 meg(when available)Eircom tech had no info when this would happen!.Exchange is not adsl2+.I pay 89+vat p/m for 4meg.Anybody got any ideas about better value with a different provider.Never use the phone line..download alot...some console gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

BROWNE51 wrote: »
    I am on a 4 meg business plus line in clane ,co kildare...rang eircom re the upgrade and was told my line would be only upgraded to 7 meg(when available)Eircom tech had no info when this would happen!.Exchange is not adsl2+.I pay 89+vat p/m for 4meg.Anybody got any ideas about better value with a different provider.Never use the phone line..download alot...some console gaming.

Your better off on a 3mb line so which will automatically upgrade to 7.6mb or probably the max your line can handle 7mb. There's no point in paying the higher price if you can't get it. A 3mb business line now costs €40pm ex vat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That eircom "tech" was fairly clueless. There's no way that he or she would know what exactly that line speed will be after the upgrades. I also understand that every exchange will be getting an ADSL2 upgrade, so the 10 and 12 meg packages will be available at every DSL exchange. (Literally at the exchange, the line needs to be so short:p)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That eircom "tech" was fairly clueless. There's no way that he or she would know what exactly that line speed will be after the upgrades. I also understand that every exchange will be getting an ADSL2 upgrade, so the 10 and 12 meg packages will be available at every DSL exchange. (Literally at the exchange, the line needs to be so short:p)

He would be able to make an educated guess if he had the line stats. On adsl2 you would have to be right next to the exchange for 24Mb speeds, for 10Mb though you could be a decent bit away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

He would be able to make an educated guess if he had the line stats. On adsl2 you would have to be right next to the exchange for 24Mb speeds, for 10Mb though you could be a decent bit away.

You and a lot of other people here are getting your terms mixed up, adsl2 is only capable of 12mbit, adsl2+(note the plus sign) is capable of 24mbit. I don't think Eircom have made it clear on what is going to be used and the ambiguity of the terms hasn't helped.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Was on about adsl2+, forgot the + though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Sorry too lazy to go through 18 pages, was there anything said about download limits? how are they going to increase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Sorry too lazy to go through 18 pages, was there anything said about download limits? how are they going to increase?

Should I go back through the 18 pages and check for you??????:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

jarvis wrote: »
    Should I go back through the 18 pages and check for you??????:D

Yes!

Waiting...

7uhmand8.gif

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I've read most of the thread and I didn't notice anybody saying anything about them. That's not to say it didn't happen though.

I'd like to think there would be a proportional cap increase, even for us folk who are on a resold eircom product.

I believe esat customers who were upgraded to 8meg still have 30 gig caps... hopefully this is just a provisional limit while they're rolling the product out and not an indication of the direction the ISPs are heading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

There was a very strong argument put forward by Watty that this is the way that ISP's are going. Basically we might get cap increases but it's likely they will start charging or at least throttling users going over limits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

On adsl2 you would have to be right next to the exchange for 24Mb speeds, for 10Mb though you could be a decent bit away.

In the exchange you mean. Its like a 56k modem, the best I ever saw was 54k across the road from the exchange .

10mb would work at over a mile , 7.6 meg at 1.5 miles . Thats if the line is any good of course

Then it drops like a stone to about 2mbit max at 3 miles if the line is perfect .

VDSL would be even worse in rural areas so thank feck its ADSL2+

This estimator

http://www2.farina1.com/ADSL/default.aspx

Tell me my line could handle 15mbits .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Still it won't make friends or popularity if I'm right.... time will tell.

Never ever did I see better than 44k on a 56k modem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement