Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

KoKane wrote: »
    Hey folks.

If I post some of my stats here, can somebody tell me if its good or bad? :/

I'm on BT 3mb line (awaiting the upgrade of death to 7.6mb)

Data Rate(Kbps)
    3072 384
    Noise margin (dB)
    11.3 13.0
    Output power (dBm)
    18.4 1.9

Attenuation (dB)
    57.0 31.5

Everything there is normal and has always been like this, EXCEPT for the attenuation. I'm pretty sure it used to be lower values.

However, despite nothing here really changing, my pings have increased and I've encountered some disconnects etc recently.
    I'm getting all the adverse effects of this upgrade that they've stated I'm eligible to receive, post-sept.

Unfortunately it looks like any significant upgrade would slaughter you:(

As you will see from the link below upgrades impact significantly on noise margin and you have nothing to spare here at all.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

It is worth remembering that even with the best of lines dsl has its own limitations and even in the early days of bb when speeds were a lot lower it was always recommended to take your bb from the first socket in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Ok, thanks.
    I was gonna post "fckin shyte country!"... but before I do that I'm just gonna ask;

Does it matter that I dont have a microfilter on the socket that the router is currently plugged into?
    I have a microfilter on the main socket downstairs and another one upstairs on the second split point. There are other phone sockets in the house but the only other one with a connection is the one in my room where the router is.
    So yeh, should I get a microfilter for it? Would it make a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Ok, thanks.
    I was gonna post "fckin shyte country!"... but before I do that I'm just gonna ask;

Does it matter that I dont have a microfilter on the socket that the router is currently plugged into?
    I have a microfilter on the main socket downstairs and another one upstairs on the second split point. There are other phone sockets in the house but the only other one with a connection is the one in my room where the router is.

First thing I would do is plug the router into the main line and see what attenuation you get. At least you'll know your best possible attenuation and you can work from there. High pings seem to be a 'feature' of the upgrade with mine going from 40 to 60 on the cod servers I play on since the upgrade. I'm getting the internal phone line rewired and will probably get some cat 5 wired in while I'm at it. Wireless is not an option for me. Until then I will live with the high pings etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lynchie

So we finally got our upgrade from Eircom on the Santry exchange to 12Mb after them postponing previous upgrades due to works..

Anyway, I'm quite surprised by the difference in SNR between ADSL/ADSL2+. Our stats before were roughly 6144/512 11db SNR / 27db Attenuation. We've now gone to 12282/1021 with the same attenuation but our SNR has gone UP to 13.6db yet our speed has doubled. Getting sustained speeds of 1300KB/s with 21ms pings to boards so cant complain about the delay :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

BT Broadband, Barna - Galway exchange

I was supposed to be upgraded from 2Mbit to 3Mbit but this is what I'm getting.

Can anyone tell me if these are good, I wonder why I am not getting over 2Mbit speeds if I am supposed to be on 3Mbit? What should I do? I think I am pretty close to the exchange, less than a kilometer I would imagine.

Thanks in advance :)

Took all the phones off the line and shutdown all internet programs during the tests.

Speedtest.net

Down ~1700kb/s
    up ~195kb/s

irishiptest.com

Down ~1700kb/s
    up ~210kb/s

DSL line test results from modem (Zyxel 660RU-T1)

Upstream Noise Margin:
    noise margin upstream: 23 db
    output power downstream: 2 db
    attenuation upstream: 16 db

Downstream Noise Margin:
    noise margin downstream: 41 db
    output power upstream: 19 db
    attenuation downstream: 24 db

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Kel Varnsen

Ok, thanks.

In my experience, the only difference it makes is if you have a phone(or a Sky box or something) plugged in without a micro-filter.

I'm currently considering upgrading to BT's 7.6Mb package, as I keep going over the 30gb p/month limit they have set. I like to play games online, though, and even now, on the 3Mb package, I get poor pings and slowdowns playing sometimes; I'm wondering if uprgrading will have a significant effect on that? Here are my stats if someone can decode them for me:
    Down Stream/Upstream
    Data rate
    4096 /384

Noise margin
    8.6 /13.0

Output power
    19.6 /1.9

Attenuation
    50.0 /30.0

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

In my experience, the only difference it makes is if you have a phone(or a Sky box or something) plugged in without a micro-filter.

I'm currently considering upgrading to BT's 7.6Mb package, as I keep going over the 30gb p/month limit they have set. I like to play games online, though, and even now, on the 3Mb package, I get poor pings and slowdowns playing sometimes; I'm wondering if uprgrading will have a significant effect on that? Here are my stats if someone can decode them for me:
    Down Stream/Upstream
    Data rate
    4096 /384

Noise margin
    8.6 /13.0

Output power
    19.6 /1.9

Attenuation
    50.0 /30.0

Thanks.

My pings are slower on the 7.6, and before I upgraded my cap was exceeded (by a lot) every month, I've never been charged a fee for it though, have you?

My pings are slower on the 7.6, and before I upgraded my cap was exceeded (by a lot) every month, I've never been charged a fee for it though, have you?
    Never been charged, but I always assumed they were reducing my speed(though never bothered to check it). Lately I've cut downloads around the 30gig mark to avoid this.

Is there any way to get unlimited downloads with BT, but not sacrifice ping at the same time? Even now, on 3 Mb, I'd like to speed the pings up quite a bit. They're constantly in the low 100s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

any news on Carlow upgrade?

Never been charged, but I always assumed they were reducing my speed(though never bothered to check it). Lately I've cut downloads around the 30gig mark to avoid this.

Is there any way to get unlimited downloads with BT, but not sacrifice ping at the same time? Even now, on 3 Mb, I'd like to speed the pings up quite a bit. They're constantly in the low 100s.

Well then you are getting EXACTLY what I have.

The whole upgrade thing up to 7.6mb is actually free and everyone is expected to just get it some day.
    It appears that what comes with this upgrade is also high pings.

Now I'm guessing the new sudden high pings we have are an indication of the change being applied to our line, or its soon to be applied.

However, in your stats you've posted :
    Down Stream/Upstream
    Data rate
    4096 /384

That would mean you are on at least 4mb. Your line might not be able to go any higher right now.

A possible solution is to ring them and ask them to put back onto your 3mb package minus the free "upgrade of death" and high pings. Everything should be as it was. That is ofcourse if the high pings really bother you.

QUESTION FOR BOARDS:
    If I was to ask politely over the phone, "is it possible" or "can you please" - lower my interleaving;
    Would it work ?

Gonna ring Tue or Wed.
    If they cant then I'll go back to my original 3mb package.

• Advertisement

However, in your stats you've posted :
    Down Stream/Upstream
    Data rate
    4096 /384

That would mean you are on at least 4mb. Your line might not be able to go any higher right now.
    Interesting. They told me over the phone that I was still on 3Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

I've got really good line stats, exchange is fairly close by.
    So I should be able to get the full 7.6mb.
    What I really need is the upload speed for the slingbox to work properly.

QUESTION FOR BOARDS:
    If I was to ask politely over the phone, "is it possible" or "can you please" - lower my interleaving;
    Would it work ?

Gonna ring Tue or Wed.
    If they cant then I'll go back to my original 3mb package.

Anyone any guesses or anything? Ringing tommorow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bangalore say: "No, This is not possible sir"

I remember reading from a well informed Boards member that it's not possible to lower interleaving on G992.1 (ADSL 1) connections at that high a sync rate as it would interfere with other lines. The real problem stems from Eircom not using ADSL2+ for such high speeds, but I'm aware that not all exchanges have been equipped for ADSL2+.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just got "upgraded" to eircoms 7.6mb package.
    Download speeds are sh!t.
    Im synching at 6144/384.

Speedtest is giving me 5278kbps.Eircoms speedtest is giving me 3340 and irishisptest is saying 3.4meg!!!!!!!

Which one is correct??
    Max download speeds from a ftp site are only 385kbps!!!!Same file from a friends pc are maxing out his 10mb upc connection.

Does this sound wrong to you knowledgeable folk??

Before this "upgrade" I had the 3mb package and I was d/l at 285kbps from the same site which seems about right.

Starting to get annoyed with this lot now!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Anyone???

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Just got "upgraded" to eircoms 7.6mb package.
    Download speeds are sh!t.
    Im synching at 6144/384.

Speedtest is giving me 5278kbps.Eircoms speedtest is giving me 3340 and irishisptest is saying 3.4meg!!!!!!!

Which one is correct??
    Max download speeds from a ftp site are only 385kbps!!!!Same file from a friends pc are maxing out his 10mb upc connection.

Does this sound wrong to you knowledgeable folk??

Before this "upgrade" I had the 3mb package and I was d/l at 285kbps from the same site which seems about right.

Starting to get annoyed with this lot now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Anyone???

As far as eircom are concerned, www.eircom.net/speedtest is right.

As far as eircom are concerned, www.eircom.net/speedtest is right.

It would make sense if it is correct.
    Its just that everything is leading me to think that it is correct and my upgrade is the problem.Only 3.2mb on a 7.6mb supposed connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Max download speeds from a ftp site are only 385kbps!!!

do you mean 385 KBps, downloads are usually measured in bytes rather than bits. This would be broadly consistent with the Irishisptest result.

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    do you mean 385 KBps, downloads are usually measured in bytes rather than bits. This would be broadly consistent with the Irishisptest result.

Always get confused with this.
    On my 3meg connection I was downloading large files at 285 kbps (whatever) and my speedtest was showing as 2.7mb.

Im supposed to be upgraded to 7.6 and Im downloading at 385 kbps (again whatever)

I wouldve expected the 7.6 to be double what the 3 mb was.

Does that make sense??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The downloads are in bytes and will not be more than one eighth of the line rate. In general because of contention your line may not be running flat out, unless at very quiet times. So your modem could running at 6Mbps but network congestion may mean that it is not fully used a lot of the time. It is like they widen the road past your house, it doesn't mean you get to work that much quicker as you get to the congestion at the end of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭JohnOwonga

ardmacha wrote: »
    The downloads are in bytes and will not be more than one eighth of the line rate. In general because of contention your line may not be running flat out, unless at very quiet times. So your modem could running at 6Mbps but network congestion may mean that it is not fully used a lot of the time. It is like they widen the road past your house, it doesn't mean you get to work that much quicker as you get to the congestion at the end of the road.

>>>
    Whats the contestion ratio for Eircoms broadband 7.6 MBs service versus UTV's similar serviceontention ratio?

I think the fact that everyone has speeded up with their Internet their is absolutely no advantage.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 19 donkeyradish

Anyone else still waiting for their 'Post-September upgrade' that was originally promised in JUNE? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 crownhill

Got mine yesterday went from 2mb to 3mb apart from downloading can't tell the difference. Pings were rubbish since the June upgrades so no difference there.But from talking to an Eircom engineer he says that 50% of exchanges should have had a transmission upgrade before the speed increases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 will_forde

I'm still withing for the new speeds and i am in Tralee and have no idea what is going on with the upgrades. Still on 3MB and have a line well capable of 7.6MB, if i will ever see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jiggs

Im not sure where to post this, but I thought I'd share my good experience here for those that are worried about 7mb.

I was upgraded to 3mb from 2mb, and have upgraded to the new 7mb from eircom.

I was worried about pings, but im pleasently surprised.
    Boards.ie pings at 30ms average
    and www.heanet at 28ms average.

Some pro gamers might not be happy with that, but I game regularly, and im happy with it. Boards.ie was not much better before, and heanet was about 20ms before.

Im getting 710-740kB/s downloads from rapidshare (premium).

The only thing I dislike is the upload speed has not changed from the 3mb package. I was looking forward to faster remote desktop on my smartphone and better slingboxing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭spixel

No gamer would have a problem with 30 ping. Its perfectly normal for a good connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Jiggs wrote: »

Huh? You must be in the exchange, on a private no contention arrangement with Eircom. In case anyone else is fooled by this you can be sure that if you go on the 7.6 connection you will NOT get a performance like this. I'm open to correction but this post is like an add for Eircon. Those ridiculous ones that are on at the moment should be banned that are so off the reality.

Maybe I'm wrong and only people with complaints post here.

Anyone else getting top performance like Jiggs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Jiggs wrote: »
    Im not sure where to post this, but I thought I'd share my good experience here for those that are worried about 7mb.

I was upgraded to 3mb from 2mb, and have upgraded to the new 7mb from eircom.

I was worried about pings, but im pleasently surprised.
    Boards.ie pings at 30ms average
    and www.heanet at 28ms average.

Some pro gamers might not be happy with that, but I game regularly, and im happy with it. Boards.ie was not much better before, and heanet was about 20ms before.

The only thing I dislike is the upload speed has not changed from the 3mb package. I was looking forward to faster remote desktop on my smartphone and better slingboxing.

Since when did eircom start renting out rooms in there exchanges?
    Your a liar guy, a dam dirty liar :D

You neglected to state distance from exchange which would only be a starter.
    I have no problem with the speed as thats what i get from rapidshare but theres a whole 3/4s of a second that i have to trade and thats of peak.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement