Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Comments

My brother in Listowel gets similar speeds from a rapidshare premium account but only if he uses a download manager. I'm not sure of the exact distance he is from the exchange but it wouldn't be more than 1km.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jiggs

Valentia wrote: »
    Huh? You must be in the exchange, on a private no contention arrangement with Eircom. In case anyone else is fooled by this you can be sure that if you go on the 7.6 connection you will NOT get a performance like this. I'm open to correction but this post is like an add for Eircon. Those ridiculous ones that are on at the moment should be banned that are so off the reality.

Maybe I'm wrong and only people with complaints post here.

Anyone else getting top performance like Jiggs?
    Since when did eircom start renting out rooms in there exchanges?
    Your a liar guy, a dam dirty liar :D

You neglected to state distance from exchange which would only be a starter.
    I have no problem with the speed as thats what i get from rapidshare but theres a whole 3/4s of a second that i have to trade and thats of peak.

Why so hostile? I am not lying, and I hate eircom. A lot. Ive had great experience with them in this house (my parents), but terrible experience in college digs over the last 4 years.

Anyways, I am not telling lies. I get 700 to 740 KB/s when I use firefox to download from rapidshare premium.
    I do not know how far I am from the exchange, I'm in bettystown Meath, if someone wants to google map link me the exchange, I'll tell you the kms im from it.

Before posting what I did, i said to my friend via msn "Its funny how i was so worried about this 7mb package based on boards.ie, but it seems only bad experience people post there. Which makes sense, cos i wont be bothered to share my good experience" but then he convinced me to tell you my stats. So i did, and i get accused of lying. Kinda unnecessary.

If there is anything I can do to prove it, I will. Perhaps a screenshot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

OK so. ;)

How about a shot from irishspeed test or speedtest.net. Just to say that I have seen a perfect connection. Do it at 7 this evening and post as soon as you can. Go on go on go n. Please.........

OK so. ;)

How about a shot from irishspeed test or speedtest.net. Just to say that I have seen a perfect connection. Do it at 7 this evening and post as soon as you can. Go on go on go n. Please.........

I don't know what a perfect connection looks like on speedtest.net, but I do know its not the best way to measure performance. I prefer downloading a large file from a host that I know will max out what my line can do.

Speed 7168/384 (kbps) Line Attenuation 31/19 dB

371656879.png

728kB/s:
    rapidshare728kbfi5.th.jpg

pings:
    pingxu3.th.jpg

oh, and irishspeedtest:
    irishspeedfn7.th.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

How far are you from the exchange?

I'll show my new stats when they send me my modem.

Eircom 7mb

.8km from exchange

• Advertisement

I have no idea. If someone can tell me where the exchange is in bettystown, I can let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

jesus guy dont take things so litreally :rolleyes:
    Anyways 7pm! any stats now and i'l belive your not an eircom plant...:P

jesus guy dont take things so litreally :rolleyes:
    Anyways 7pm! any stats now and i'l belive your not an eircom plant...:P

hmm? what? i just posted lots of stats. why at 7? im not taking all those screenshots again

here, another speed test i just did...

371795923.png

Apologies! You are a freak :D Your upload speed is dire though, the connection I mean.

Why are you on such a low upload speed? The 7.6 includes over 600 up as far as I know????

Just noticed all those were done in the afternoon. That makes a big difference usually unless you are the only one with broadband in the area.

Apologies! You are a freak :D Your upload speed is dire though, the connection I mean.

Why are you on such a low upload speed? The 7.6 includes over 600 up as far as I know????

Just noticed all those were done in the afternoon. That makes a big difference usually unless you are the only one with broadband in the area.

I thought the same about the upload, but apparently eircom do not increase the upload. Somehow this helps pings they say. Search boards.ie, thats how I found out.

• Advertisement

I'm jealous ;) I would love to have a line at that consistant speed. There are times when mine is so slow it times out on downloading my email. At others (rare) in the deep morning it flies. Ah well good luck with it!

If only it was like this all the time. Everyone must be out shopping.....

372111119.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭spixel

If only it was like this all the time. Everyone must be out shopping.....

372111119.png

haha was just thinking the same. First day in over a month that its not been 400-500 ping from 5pm - 2am. Still 100ish but thats due to interleaving , lets hope it stays like this and improves:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I'm graphing a load of DSL lines from our network. What I've posted here is our office DSL line. At the time where you see the latency jump, there wouldn't be anyone in the office. So it's the actual exchange itself that experiences the latency.

12megadsl2carlow.png

The second one is my home ADSL2+ 10meg line

10megadsl2carlow.png

The graphs match as you can see, both are with different providers so it's evident that the Carlow exchange doesn't even have the capacity required for business users which is ridiculous considering the price we pay.

Still though, as you guys have said, overall it's better than what it was say last wednesday where from 5:20pm till close to 2am, it was 430ms with around 8KB/s throughput. (see below)

12megadsl2highlatency.png

That was painfull :), the whole exchange suffered this. Eircom, BT, Strencom, Magnet... everyone.

Just now did a speedtest on speedtest.net

372586791.png

It's not great considering it's a 10meg link, I can however download at around 1MB/s which is 10Mbit/s so I'm rather happy with it :)

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Still no upgrade in Carlow, come annnnn!

Anyone got any details about Carlow being upgraded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Fighting Irish, it isn't happening anytime soon as far as I know. They need to upgrade the backhaul before the DSL upgrades happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭crl84

any word on when the next phase of upgrades will be going ahead, or are they all done now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Nope, they aren't all done. Im figuring that by the time the whole country is done, we will be decades behind everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

Haha Kirby, yet another reason why it's great being Irish

http://www.speedtest.net/global.php?continent=3&country=49&region=12

Who is this person topping the list in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Kickaha

my line was upgraded to 7.2 meg around oct 08..thx,it couldnt take it speeds were worse than my old 1mb(I had been on 3.6 mb till "upgrade").
    After phonecalls etc my max stable performance was determined to be 6.1mb linespeed.
    great .. .
    Then 2 days ago my line was switched to 7.2 meg again..(must have been a delivery of magic mushrooms at the local exchange?).
    I only noticed this because my broadband performance had gone "poopoo" (tech term).
    I checked linespeed on my router which showed the increase,otherwise i might not have known what the problem was.
    Anyway,contacted isp (UTV) and they got it sorted,now back on 6.1mbps.

The thing is ,it looks like you have to keep alert,be ready for stealth line changes.. check your connection regularly.
    When the original 7 meg upgrade was applied ,i had to request a account downgrade to 1mb to maintain any connection.I wasnt charged for the downgrade."yeehah,whoop de doo,big swingin mckey,etc"

We shall upgrade u whether you like it or not/whether line will take it or not and u shall be happy that we can quote that some lines work at 10 meg...and lo Ireland has 10 meg broadband and there was rejoicing among the populace and the ministers who approved the broadband for all shall point to the figures for 1 user and say "we have done it,let us adjorn for 30 days and do constituency work in our clinics in barbados"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

Kirby wrote: »
    Nope, they aren't all done. Im figuring that by the time the whole country is done, we will be decades behind everyone else.

Next batch of exchanges (about 45 in total including some big ones like Galway, Shantalla, Tralee, Carlow, Castlebar, Sallins, Castletroy, Monaghan ...) is due to have speed increases carried out on the 5th of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

hi all..

its bein a while..

im on 3meg..for fast pings for games.

Have eircom sorted the problem with fast pings(ie 30ms/60ms) which i get with 3 meg package, if u upgrade to 7 meg?

m.

Grommet wrote: »
    Next batch of exchanges (about 45 in total including some big ones like Galway, Shantalla, Tralee, Carlow, Castlebar, Sallins, Castletroy, Monaghan ...) is due to have speed increases carried out on the 5th of March.

What about Dublin? Is there any way to tell if the exchange nearest me has been upgraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

Evening all
    Just dida speedtest now. Am supposed to be on a 3Mb line with BT but am getting 664Kbps. Absolute cack. Anyone got similar slow speeds ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Evening all
    Just dida speedtest now. Am supposed to be on a 3Mb line with BT but am getting 664Kbps. Absolute cack. Anyone got similar slow speeds ?

I have just checked my speeds on irishisptest.ie and speedtest.net
    5 tests 5 different results
    Dropped about 2meg in speed
    on eircom 7.6 line

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It's been horrid for months...anything between 4pm and 1am is usless...it's utter tripe, you can't do anything or download squat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 will_forde

I have finally got upgraded here in Tralee at 01:00. I am syncing at 7616 Kbps.
    My line stats are
    Noise Margin 14.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 15.0 dB

Pings to boards.ie average at about 54ms

423861399.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

will_forde wrote: »
    I have finally got upgraded here in Tralee at 01:00. I am syncing at 7616 Kbps.
    My line stats are
    Noise Margin 14.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 15.0 dB

Pings to boards.ie average at about 54ms

423861399.png

Are you in Tralee town & how far are you from the exchange? Also which provider do you use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 will_forde

Just down the road from the exchange in edward court. My provider is Imagine, i have just been with them for about 1 month.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement