Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A quick question...

Options
  • 31-01-2008 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

I was having a debate about the Ice Rink in Dundalk and the current set up of the Irish Ice Hockey league and I was wondering anyone has ever heard of any new plans to build a permanent rink in Dublin. I've heard the seasonal christmas ones are very popular, but would a permanent one in Dublin have the same popularity?

Also Dublin is currently represented by the Dublin Rams (in both the A league and the B league) and the Dublin wolves, also in the B league. Does anyone from Dublin go up to support them? Or has anyone even heard of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

There used to be a rink in Phibsboro, closed about five years ago because of lack of custom and sky high insurance costs. I think the city councils have to subsidise the cost of the Christmas rinks but I'm not sure. It's a pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭KevinMc

The one in Dundalk seems to be doing good and with hosting matches i'm sure they are making a profit. The Belfast Giants played down there last saturday night and there was hardly even standing room.

Things changing and i'm sure people have more disposable income for such activities. Also people need to get more active, this is a great way to do it as a family. It would probably have alot to do with location too.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭TheBigRedDog

Yeh its doing quite well even though the public skating times are empty! Hopefully it will inspire a few people 2 cop on and get one down here! Theres an emerging league with big money to be made!

I know a few people on the dublin teams yeh they are good! No one seems to be too fussed at the moment about the travelling times either though! It keeps a sense of exclusiveness for the players! Anyone playing up there now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If Sean Dunne gets planning for the old Jurys sites he is planning to develop an ice rink as part of the scheme

jdivision wrote: »
    If Sean Dunne gets planning for the old Jurys sites he is planning to develop an ice rink as part of the scheme

Hopefully this works out. I was surprised at how quick the one in Dundalk was completed. One minute it was being announced and then in no time at all it was opening. Hopefully one in Dublin isn't too far away.

• Advertisement

jdivision wrote: »

I thought that was only a seasonal one in the courtyard or am I wrong? I hope he does get the planning, not just for the ice, it will liven the place up a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

One of the guys who built the one in dundalk is my friends uncle. Apparently he originally wanted it in Dublin but finding a site was impossible. He says he literally used to hound Bertie Ahern for one :D:D

One of the guys who built the one in dundalk is my friends uncle. Apparently he originally wanted it in Dublin but finding a site was impossible. He says he literally used to hound Bertie Ahern for one :D:D

Thats really interesting. I wonder if he still would if he could get the plans and permissions through? Keep us posted on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I thought that was only a seasonal one in the courtyard or am I wrong? I hope he does get the planning, not just for the ice, it will liven the place up a bit!

I think it's a case of it can be used as an ice rink or they can put flooring on top and use it for other things, just like they would in hockey stadiums in the States.

Cool that would be savage! Im only down the road! It would be so handy! Definately getting behind this motion! GET YOUR UNCLE GOING!! please!

• Advertisement

Cool that would be savage! Im only down the road! It would be so handy! Definately getting behind this motion! GET YOUR UNCLE GOING!! please!

AGREED! Any petitions etc will, i'm sure get the support of the Ice Hockey community in both Dundalk and Dublin!

DUBLIN RAMS Vs Flyers IHC
    Satuday 09/02/2008
    Dundalk Ice Dome

So anyone going to the Ice Dome this sat night to watch the RAMS Vs the flyers? Bring you CO. Dublin flags :D

Yeh might to if I find the time! A friend of mine is playing! Whatever happened to the Dublin Flyers? Why did they change their name?

The team was reformed by one of the old players so they have the dublin connection but they are a different team

I see the Dublin Rams won on saturday night. Was anyone at it? Also the dublin Rams have released a line of merchandice. If anyone has see any of the items let me know how they look as the pictures aren't up on the site yet.

A big well done to the Dublin Rams who beat the Dundalk Bulls 3-2 and ended their ambition to win the league with a 100% record.

I wasn't at the game this week but from what I hear it was a great game to see, which is a change. When the Bulls play the match is usually dead by the end of the first period.

The Rams face off this sunday against the Belfast City Bruins. I'll be there cheering on the team from NI but I hope to see the loads of Dublin support up to cheer on the Rams after their great win. :)

Advertisement