Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a bike in Cork

Options
  • 31-01-2008 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend me a good place to buy a decent bike? I'm not looking to spend too much, but I'll pay for quality. I need advice, and all the necessary acoutrements, but I don't want somebody telling me I need alloy titanium wheel spokes just to make an extra 50 quid out of me. The only shop I know of is the one down near the Crow's Nest (as was) - is that still going? Is there better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,981 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Can't go wrong with Capwell Cycles, around the corner from High St. post office...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

There is one about half way up Barrack Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 backdraft102

Make your way to Kilgrew Cycles. The street is Kyle street and its in the city centre, around the corner from Cornmarket street where the stalls are selling shoes and flags and the likes. They do various types of bikes and really do have something for everyone and have a great range of Trek bikes.

The shop on Barrack Street is Rothar Cycles and the guy there has some nice bikes worth a look but nowhere near what Kilgrew offer.

Saying that no shop will ever satisfy you when it comes to bikes. I have bought from Rothar and a seller up by Dillons Cross called Carrolls Cycles and my newest is from Kilgrew. It's due a service soon actually. It's a Trek3700 and cost 360 euro .. 380 with better pedals and water bottle holder. She's a beaut!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Yes that one is still there, Barbers in ballypheane seem reasonable enough.

What ever you do dont go to halfords!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Corksham

corblimey wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend me a good place to buy a decent bike? I'm not looking to spend too much, but I'll pay for quality. I need advice, and all the necessary acoutrements, but I don't want somebody telling me I need alloy titanium wheel spokes just to make an extra 50 quid out of me. The only shop I know of is the one down near the Crow's Nest (as was) - is that still going? Is there better?

Thats http://www.vccycles.com/. Theres one at the end of Shadnon street (cant remember the name), theres one in Douglas also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Cycle scene on Blarney street first left off Shandon street,been buying off him since 1990!!cant go wrong.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Make your way to Kilgrew Cycles. The street is Kyle street and its in the city centre, around the corner from Cornmarket street where the stalls are selling shoes and flags and the likes. They do various types of bikes and really do have something for everyone and have a great range of Trek bikes.

Seconded, I bought my last bike in Kilgrews and would definitely recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Yep, went and got myself cycled up at Kilgrews last week. Thirded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CORKBIKES

I have a large range of used and ex rental mountain bikes. I also have some hybrids. These bikes are great for commuting and leisure cycling.
    Ph 086 6028228 for more info
    Cheers
    Cillian

Advertisement