Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Return Of The King

• 31-01-2008 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Its been a bleak 19 months for football on this Island when a silly disagreement meant that the best footballer of the last decade had to leave our shores to seek a living abroad. So I'm sure it will delight everyone who supports domestic football that George O Callaghan is back having signed a 3 year deal with Cork City.

I know the "Drogheda" fans will especially love this as they have not stopped singing about him since he left, such is their adoration of the man.

Welcome back George.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

At least the old inbred chant can make a return. That's about the only plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

gimmick wrote: »
    the best footballer of the last decade had to leave our shores

You forgot "arguably" there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

with George playing alongside Denis regularly i cant see why they wont be both selected to start for Ireland.
    they should be the first names on the new managers team sheet along with Joe Gamble.

with George playing alongside Denis regularly i cant see why they wont be both selected to start for Ireland.
    they should be the first names on the new managers team sheet along with Joe Gamble.

Hoolahan on the left and Jason Byrne up front then yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I'm surprised he gave up on England so quickly. I would have thought him being out of the pub culture that is Cork Village Fc would have been good for him, but alas, he returns having tried and failed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Its quite exciting to look at the spine of pour squad at the moment

Devine in goal is still one of the top 3 in the country.

Horgan, Murray and Mulcahy in defense.

Gamble, Healy, Fatrelly, O Callaghan in Midfield (2 from these 4 in the middle. I dont expect anything from the latter mind you)

Mooney, Behan & (if fit) Flynn up front. O Callaghan can also play upfront.

Now its up to "Matthews".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

It's good to have O'Callaghan back in the league , will surely grab a few headlines this season(for right and wrong reasons) .

Cork are a vastly improved side compared to last season , however I'm not sure Matthews is the man to lead a title challenge .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Hopefully he'll be playing nest Thursday in the friendly against Shels.:D

O'Callaghan and Kearney should be some good chants.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hopefully he'll be playing nest Thursday in the friendly against Shels.:D

O'Callaghan and Kearney should be some good chants.:p

So Byrne and O' Callaghan come back after unsuccessful spells of less than two years in England. That probably says something about the relative quality of the Eircom league I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

welcome back Georgie! <3:):D
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So Byrne and O' Callaghan come back after unsuccessful spells of less than two years in England. That probably says something about the relative quality of the Eircom league I'm afraid.

exactly! lets just forget that footballers called Wes Hoolahan, Kevin Doyle and Sean Dillon ever existed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

or that the LoI is a viable option to return home to from the Championship.

They both had offers from the SPL and League 1 respectively but chose to come home.

This is progress.

exactly! lets just forget that footballers called Wes Hoolahan, Kevin Doyle and Sean Dillon ever existed

Shane Long, Daryl Murphy, Roy O'Donovan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Shane Long, Daryl Murphy, Roy O'Donovan...
    Noel Hunt, Richie Byrne...

Noel Hunt, Richie Byrne...

And Richie Partridge in a pear tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    And Richie Partridge in a pear tree.

Really thought he was gonna make something of himself after his time at Coventry but his career has just been a gradual decline :( .
    I remember him once scoring a wonder goal for Coventry by running pretty much the length of the pitch(beating 5/6 players along the way) and hammering the ball into the top corner from 20 yards out .

Advertisement