Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Golf V Gt 140BHP

Options
  • 31-01-2008 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

well im just about to put a deposit on one for €26,000 for the 1.4 140bhp version which is basic but will get the sunroof and arm rest etc

my question is ? is it fast ??? ie do u feel it go ??

and what are they like to insure , at the moment i have a 2004 Golf V Sportline with 18000 miles with runroof all colour coded etc and my insurance is only €640 and thats with a provisional licence and 7 years no claims bonus and im 27

any ideas or info would be appreciated

also was thinking of a white one with gti 18 " wheels

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You're just about to put a deposit on a car you haven't driven yet??

Drive the car, and find out how much your insurance will cost. Then you can consider whether or not you want to go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Boba_Ganush

duh well obviously

just wanted peoples opinions on it , ie is it a good car , fast etc

i have driven it on a test drive , but the sales bloke was with me and wouldnt let me punch it , felt slightly quicker than standard golf v

just want to kno wis it pokey when punched

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Fast is subjective - only you can say whether you find it fast. It's the same thing with insurance - you have to ring around yourself to get quotes. Have you driven any other cars you might also consider?

i have driven it on a test drive , but the sales bloke was with me and wouldnt let me punch it , felt slightly quicker than standard golf v

If he wants to get a sale I would advise him that you should be allowed to even punch him as well as the car.

If one of the main reasons for you buying the car is for the extra bit of poke, make sure he lets you rag the demo car. Whats the point in dropping 26k and then figuring out it feels slow?

123.ie and tesco have quoted me €680 - €770

not bad for a new golf v gt 140bhp 1.4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I brought one of these on a test drive last year, automatic (tiptronic gearbox)
    and it went like a train, very nimble indeed.Great craic, traction a bit ropey though on change from 1st to 2nd, tiny bit of spin on perfectly dry road, maybe that was just me with the tiptronic though.
    A mate of mine is a salesman for a VW garage and he had it for quite some time and said it lashed the petrol out of it, as bad as a proper GTi like.
    Only thing I don't like about them is that you see at lest two a day on the road now, they're very popular, sign of a good car though.
    Go for it, great fun car and compared to others feck all depreciation on it.
    Only reason I'm not in one is company car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Ring insureme.ie their site was quoting me just over 500 for the same car rang them and they can do it for 406. I'm 28 full licence 3yrs no claims and 5yrs name driving. Great car to drive mine is hopefully arriving next month can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Just bought a 170 and its a great car. I'd say the 140 still has quite a bit of power in it though. You should look at the r32 alloys or the rs4 ones instead of the gti. A lot of gtis around so why not get something a bit different. Oh and get out and try it out! Even just pull away fast from a line or something and you'll understand what power is under the bonnet

im all excited now lol

was thinking of white with gti wheels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

duh well obviously

just wanted peoples opinions on it , ie is it a good car , fast etc

just want to kno wis it pokey when punched

As Anan1 said, speed is subjective. I'd say no, it's not, but if you're coming from the normal 1.4 Golf than anything is fast! you should give it a bit of shove on the test drive, no need to red line it or anything. Be sensible about it and they'll let you do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement