Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mystery space taking up hard drive

• 31-01-2008 3:23pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have a look at the pic below. The left side shows the properties of all files and folders on the C: drive, and the right side shows the properties of the hard drive itself. Am I missing something here?

15944710ww8.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Do you have a D drive thats a partition of C ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Anti wrote: »
    Do you have a D drive thats a partition of C ?

Nope, all the one partition.

59122550ti9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Hidden files and folders?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

rkm wrote: »
    Hidden files and folders?

All set to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

http://windirstat.info/

run this it will tell you which folders are hogging...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

is this a new system or did you buy it second hand?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Is system restore enabled by any chance? That could be it,

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I lost 75% of my disk to system restore folder "c:\System Volume Information\" even though system restore was disabled.

Took me ages to find it but was obvious in the end. Only 'system' account can access the folder by default so jdiskreport wasn't showing it as the big user.

Grrrr! Anyway sorted now.

Yep, system restore was enabled which freed up about 3 to 4 gbs, which means I can now see half of the 40gb's. To answer the above its a Dell laptop I have had from new, and I have even taken the hard disk out just to confirm it is a 40gb model.

I have installed the above linked software which sees the c: drive as having 18.6 gb capacity. Very strange tbh :confused:

Take the hdd out again and look what way the jumpers are set. You can limity the capacity of a drive by setting the jumpers in a certain posisition. Could be possible... But very unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Also mite be worthwhile running a drive fitness scan on it, you can download this diagnostics utility from your hard disks manufacturers site, I've heard cases where hard disks have many bad sectors and are just shoved away and not used, not sure this is the case you have, but it mite be worth trying (you'd usually notice crashing and other stuff happening if loads of bad sectors start coming), also Anti, I doubt that would be the case, as if a limit disk space jumper is used, windows wouldn't report the entire capacity of the drive as it is here... Its a strange one

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

get yourself a visual representation of the drive. might be able to see where it's going then.

spacemonger

Spacemonger give the following result; having checked the location of the files it seems like they are from my first Windows install. I'm now working on changing privilages in security settings to allow me to delete the old data, but Windows is still being a little anal. Thanks for all the help folks.

47583692fp6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

delly wrote: »
    Spacemonger give the following result; having checked the location of the files it seems like they are from my first Windows install. I'm now working on changing privilages in security settings to allow me to delete the old data, but Windows is still being a little anal. Thanks for all the help folks.

I believe you'll need a safe mode admin login to change permissions and take ownership, or you could try a live cd. It's still strange they didnt appear in the first file size dialog.

Managed to get it done in regular login mode by taking ownership of the data.
    14891192uk4.jpg

Et voila:
    34984945ud7.png

There is still a small bit of space elsewhere I think, but i'm not really gonna worry too much about as the bulk has now been freed up.

Thanks all :)

yay solved. I remember having this problem a few years ago. took me a goof while to work out what it was.

Advertisement