Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[UPC/NTL/Chorus] Upgrades upgrades?

Options
  • 31-01-2008 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭

Right, first BT now Eircom have announced speed upgrades. The only major operator not to announce is UPC. The question is will they announce or will they show how out of touch they are with competitors.

Historically, NTL speeds (the max ones) blew everything else away. I wonder if they'll continue to do that or are have they just lost it.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

things have changed, NTL were the best by a mile when they were owned by NTL UK but things have not being as promising since UPC tookover, however im sure UPC will have something of an upgrade at some stage this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Gonzo wrote: »
    things have changed, NTL were the best by a mile when they were owned by NTL UK but things have not being as promising since UPC tookover, however im sure UPC will have something of an upgrade at some stage this year.

The question is: Should I bother waiting or just get the phone line reconnected and move to Smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

paulm17781 wrote: »
    The question is: Should I bother waiting or just get the phone line reconnected and move to Smart.
    Personally I would have got the phone in and got smart long before all these upgrades.

Personally I would have got the phone in and got smart long before all these upgrades.

I've had no problems though, I've never had a reason to move but now I'm getting sick of UPCs inabilities.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If i had the option of smart I would choose them over everything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Well UPC's routing has become much better as of late. Latency has dropped quite a bit and When accessing Irish sites we are no longer routed through Holland. I am thankfull for these upgrades alone, although it does annoy me that we are still routed through holland when going to america.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Surely they will have to upgrade to at least the speeds Eircom will be offering in the next few months. At the moment there max speed is 6 megs for 40 euro a month. This will not be competitive with Eircoms 12 megs at around the same price. I'll drop them if they don't upgrade their speeds in the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No and yes, in that order.
    mickger wrote: »
    Surely they will have to upgrade to at least the speeds Eircom will be offering in the next few months. At the moment there max speed is 6 megs for 40 euro a month. This will not be competitive with Eircoms 12 megs at around the same price. I'll drop them if they don't upgrade their speeds in the next few months.

eircom's 12Mbps will be a replacement for their current 6Mbps and will cost 169 euro a month, ex VAT, not 40. The replacement for 3Mbps, which will be up to 7.6Mbps (contended too I assume) will presumable cost 48.40 a month, excluding line rental.

NTL don't really need to do much as eircom's products are only just catching up with NTL. If they want to stay ahead though then they should offer upgrades.

jor el wrote: »
    NTL don't really need to do much as eircom's products are only just catching up with NTL. If they want to stay ahead though then they should offer upgrades.

That was kind of my point though, that NTL were always way ahead, they won't be for much longer. I also expect to see Eircom offer a much better priced 12Mbps package, possibly with IPTV.

Also, when the subject of this thread was edited, someone put in upgrades twice. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Also, when the subject of this thread was edited, someone put in upgrades twice. :D

I noticed that too, wtf. :p

Anyway Eircom's 7.6Mbit will pretty much be the same, if not slower than NTL's 6MB. I get closer to 6.5Mbit(>800KB/Sec) speeds with NTL, and when I was with Eircom my DSL never came close to the 2Mbit I was on at the time. Was more like 1.45Mbit.

But I would like an upgrade from NTL. My download is fast enough, upgrading the upload would be a far better idea imo. And maybe a cap increase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

jor el wrote: »
    No and yes, in that order.

eircom's 12Mbps will be a replacement for their current 6Mbps and will cost 169 euro a month, ex VAT, not 40. The replacement for 3Mbps, which will be up to 7.6Mbps (contended too I assume) will presumable cost 48.40 a month, excluding line rental.

€200 a month for 12 Megs?:eek: Have a look at this:

http://www.cablesurf.com/

Kinda puts Eircom's price in perspective, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

mang87 wrote: »
    I noticed that too, wtf. :p

Anyway Eircom's 7.6Mbit will pretty much be the same, if not slower than NTL's 6MB. I get closer to 6.5Mbit(>800KB/Sec) speeds with NTL, and when I was with Eircom my DSL never came close to the 2Mbit I was on at the time. Was more like 1.45Mbit.

But I would like an upgrade from NTL. My download is fast enough, upgrading the upload would be a far better idea imo. And maybe a cap increase.

DSL has overheads that cable and wireless doesn't suffer from. I'd say Eircom's 7.6 m/bit would be roughly the same as NTL's 6m/bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I also expect to see Eircom offer a much better priced 12Mbps package, possibly with IPTV.

Seriously? I'd expect eircom to look after number 1, like they always do. Why be competitive when you really don't have to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

That was kind of my point though, that NTL were always way ahead, they won't be for much longer. I also expect to see Eircom offer a much better priced 12Mbps package, possibly with IPTV.

When I first signed up to NTL - I ordered 6mbit - but I was actually on 10Mbit for a few months before they took it down to 6Mbit.
    IE would show "Download speed 1.1M per second" on some sites (nvidia/ATI.com)

So they have a capability(if not capacity) in the lines to go at least 10 - lets hope for a free upgrade.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

ozmo wrote: »
    When I first signed up to NTL - I ordered 6mbit - but I was actually on 10Mbit for a few months before they took it down to 6Mbit.
    IE would show "Download speed 1.1M per second" on some sites (nvidia/ATI.com)

So they have a capability(if not capacity) in the lines to go at least 10 - lets hope for a free upgrade.

Yeah, same with me. I was getting well over 1MB/sec heanet and unreal.ie etc

But then as they upgraded more and more people their network must have exploded, because a month after I'd been upgraded I was suddenly getting these ****ing horrible pings, and packet loss out the ears. Unless they're upgraded since then I don't think they could handle it : \

Or maybe that was just some mess up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

mang87 wrote: »
    Yeah, same with me. I was getting well over 1MB/sec heanet and unreal.ie etc

But then as they upgraded more and more people their network must have exploded, ... Or maybe that was just some mess up

im not complaining - their service is great and the best of the few Ive been with (IBB,Netsource/Clubi,Eircom) - Im on a steady 6mbit now
    with no problems.
    ps. Blueface.ie rocks going over NTL - much cheaper than NTLs IP offering. No line rental - yay!

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭RintPete

ozmo wrote: »
    Blueface.ie rocks going over NTL - much cheaper than NTLs IP offering. No line rental - yay!

I agree. I have NTLs 3Mbit with Bluseface and its the best deal around.

-=- RintPete

Advertisement