Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Questions

Options
  • 31-01-2008 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Ok, so we got a new English teacher recently, after our first one went on maternity leave. The teacher they gave us was a student, first year out of college, and not very qualified with it. Giving her to a Leaving Cert Honours class was a bad idea on the part of the school. But we asked for a different teacher, because we really weren't learning anything from her. And the teacher we got is retired, she's worse than the other one. But the point is, she's teaching us a weird way that I've never heard of from any other English teacher ever, so I have a few questions.
    • Are you able to make up statistics in an essay?
    • If you have the points to back up your argument, are you allowed to disagree with the norm (say on Shakespeare)?
    • Can you use "their", "they" etc as an ambiguous pronoun rather than using he/she/it when the object is unknown?
    • So you have to make reference to a poet's life in your studied poetry question, or can you base your answer on their poetry?
    • Can you use "we" in an answer (e.g "we see in this extract...")?
    • How many points should you have in a studied poetry or comparitive answer?
    I probably have more, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me what the hell she means when she's teaching me!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Stats-avoid them if you don't know. correctors aren't going to look them up, so either won't give you marks for them or possibly mark you down.

Disagreeing-absolutely. But it can sometimes take more work. If you can do it though, then do it.

pronouns-can you give an example? I'm a little confused.

poets life-can be avoided completely if you really want, although sometimes it makes sense to use it. e.g. Plath=depression, suicide=answer. In that case its pretty much a given that you will talk about her life, and why not, its the easiest paragraph you can write, its not going to change depending on the question.

We- yes. Much more perferable to I or possibly You.

Points- An answer should consist of intro, conclusion, about probably four to six paragraphs. it varies, but I think its better to develop a point fully rather than write three half explained paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Polarity

Also:
    Nikkio237 wrote: »
    • Can you use "their", "they" etc as an ambiguous pronoun rather than using he/she/it when the object is unknown?

Definitely yes. It's used all the time in literature. I think your english teacher knows what she's on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Iano2K8

does anyone know what emotional intensity means in reference to john donnes poetry?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nikkio237

Polarity wrote: »
    Also:

Definitely yes. It's used all the time in literature. I think your english teacher knows what she's on about.

Lol, she actually said that you can't use it. I agree with you, Polarity, I think you should be able to use it. Just because you're saying "they" doesn't mean you're referring to a plural.

So, if you have a reason to disagree, you can? I'm really worried about this, particularly when it comes to Shakespeare. I'm really not that fond of him, and I find Othello in particular to contain quite flat characters, and irritating plotholes. But if I say that, am I going to be marked down??

And brianthebard, do you mean that saying we is a better idea than "I"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

My English teacher put it like this: You're a 17/18 year old sitting their LC, you don't have a degree in English etc, you've got no credentials, so basically disagreeing with probably famous critics (in saying that shakespeare is, shock horror, not amazing) comes across as a bit, hmm... full of yourself, I guess. I know they say, if you can argue your point against it, you should, and maybe the corrector will appreciate a bit of variety, but I'd stick to positivity.

The characters are pretty flat (I mean jaysus Desdemona) but considering it was written way back when, they could be worse... Othello undergoes a bit of development, anyway.

I don't think you HAVE to speak about a poet's life, but if it's relevant to the poetry.. for example if they have biographical poems (ie Montague), it could be good to stick something in.

Personally I say "we" all the time, in Irish literature questions too.. sounds more formal.

• Advertisement

Ok, I do understand that. And I'm not trying to come across as full of myself. But I can't help my opinion either. Actually, on that point... can you argue different views of a question? I know that you have to stick with one in questions that pretty much demand language of argument. But what about poetry/comparitive/stand alone text(s)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I realise it wouldn't be your intention (or anyone's) to sound full of themself, the corrector just might think that. Or they mightn't, that's just what my English teacher said.
    Also, you can't help your opinion, but you don't necessarily have to write your truthful opinion. I know that sounds terrible, but it occurs a lot in English I find, you have to write ridiculous things you don't believe, like "I think the use of the word "shattered" here really reflects the poet's inner turmoil", when in actuality, they probably just picked it because it had the right number of syllables...

Do you mean, if it's something like "Betrayal is the most important theme in this play" or whatever, could you argue for it and against it? In that case, I think it's better to stick with one side of the argument, though some questions could lend themselves better to arguing for/against, for example, "Othello deserves no sympathy", you could go for and against on that one I think. Depends, I guess. I'd say it'd be better to stick to one side of the argument, just so you've got a stronger essay (as opposed to coming across very much on the fence if you keep arguing for and against your points).

Ok. Thanks!! Would any of you mind teaching us instead of the teacher we have now? :D Please?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Polarity

Nikkio237 wrote: »
    Lol, she actually said that you can't use it.

Oh okay.. then she's just bonkers. *nodnod*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Polarity wrote: »
    Oh okay.. then she's just bonkers. *nodnod*

Not really. The correctness of its use as a third person singular pronoun is disputed and I guess it's better to be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 ryanj

If you are going to make up statistics, make sure they appear credible - but I would use actual facts
    yes you are allowed to disagree with the norm
    base your answer on the poetry of the poet - give very little/no biographical info
    i wouldn't use we - use 'I' if asked, otherwise answer the question directly
    I would have 4 points for studied poetry/ comparative answer - one per paragraph + intro + outro

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

Are you able to make up statistics in an essay? ==
    i wouldnt make up anything unless its your own piece of writing

If you have the points to back up your argument, are you allowed to disagree with the norm (say on Shakespeare)? ==
    sure its ok to express how you honestly feel about the author/poet, i wouldnt play for marks as that wouldnt reely set you apart from all the 'shall i compare thee to a summers day' people who are just goin to parrot off what theyve been told to say, in short if you dont dig the stuff say it. many writers are sexist/racist etc and these views change over the years and its over to the next generation to analise their works in a modern context.

Can you use "their", "they" etc as an ambiguous pronoun rather than using he/she/it when the object is unknown?
    i would say its fine to use both words but i not as often as to make the person sound so removed,...like them,..they he /she....it dosent make it sound personal...its ok to use their surname that worked for me,...mix it up i guess

So you have to make reference to a poet's life in your studied poetry question, or can you base your answer on their poetry?
    yeah sure, sometimes if you have a bit of knowlege on a poets personal life it will appear to you in their poems, lets say a fathers death mite be hinted at in a pome when the poet was near the end of their own life.

Can you use "we" in an answer (e.g "we see in this extract...")?
    i would say 'it can be shown, it is expressed, there is a feeling, discriptive is good but not too many. 'we are shown or taken by the hand etc 'we see thru his/her eyes isint bad either.

How many points should you have in a studied poetry or comparitive answer? 2-3 for poetry /3-4 for comparative .... im not sure just go for it and dont stop till the time runs out....

i hope ive been of help again i dont know it all i guess thats what i loved about the subject its all so umm subjective innit lol

Thank you for your answers, padz. The thread was actually opened about a year ago (My Leaving Cert has since been completed, thank God, :)), but I hope that someone with similar questions might be able to make use of your advice!

Advertisement